What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

CMH vs Doble ended vs Single endend

Muleskinner

Veteran
>>>400V HPS lights like Gavita, P.L. Light 600w, 750w, 1000w (includes double-end and single) 1.9 umol/J

CMH lights - 1.75 umol/J

200v HPS lights (EyeHortilux, most other bulbs 400w-1000w) max. 1.7 umol/J.

LED - 1.5 - 2.7 umol/J depending on fixture
Where did those numbers come from?

Philips HPS specs and CMH specs:

http://www.lighting.philips.com/b-d...ticulture-products/cl-hid-600-1000w-cg-en.pdf

http://www.pllight.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/HSE-Daylight_Spec_Sheet_8.16.pdf

LED specs: Heliospectra, Fluence, Lumigrow, P.L. Light, Philips Greenpower websites, Nextlight, etc.

Cannabologist

Veteran
So your able to match yield of a 600w psl or hortilux en with a 315?

I'm,sorry im not a noob, I get very consistent yield, no way all of a sudden when I ran a few 315's did I forget how to grow.
Not saying you forgot.. I'm saying you may have had some problem and you don't want to think so. No one ever wants to think it was their own fuckup! BUT!>.. Well... who knows. Maybe it was the glass but I don't think so I believe you can use glass hoods so.. Hm.

Otherwise, perhaps, like I mentioned before, it is something with the tech you are using, perhaps those ballasts are shitty and do not put out enough power for the intensity those Phillips bulbs can put out.. I donno, I'd have to check it with a meter.. I will be checking out some now that you have mentioned this, and am in the process of doing some crazy side by side testing with new bulbs and what not and can see.

The intensity of something like a Hortilux 600watt is supposed to still be more intense than a cmh 315, so in theory it should out compete in yield all things being equal because it is more intense and still perhaps better overall quality of light DEPENDING on the bulb, like, perhaps a Hortilux Blue 600 watt bulb.

BUT! That does not hold true for all 600 watt bulbs I would say, especially generic bulbs,

AND also does not hold true for any older hps/mh bulbs which of course they lose their intensity within 8 months to a year or so.. That's quite a short time to lose that much of your bulb realistically especially if you do keep using them for a longer lifetime.

That all being said it's not equal and the theory is bullshit!! It always depends. Environment and other factors are also going to be key.

And like also mentioned there are other factors like the heat or lack thereof, and the light bulb distance and how far the light travels to the canopy.

This is why I'll be doing some side by sides to see for myself actually, and I'll find out, what is better, for growth and/or yield, and then I'll know and take nice pictures and not smoke it all before I weigh it out lol.

That being said, when it comes to Phantom II 315w cmh's, people are fucking killing it with these lights - from newbs on their first run to pros. I don't know what to say. I keep seeing the results its really a no-brainer. But I'll be doing some side by side testing

couchlockd

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Taking advise from people that may have no clue how to grow is the 1st problem. Those that can't get a 315 to perform as well as any 400 is doing something.. Those that believe a 315 can compete with 600 is just kidding themselves.

I tested 630cmh vs 1kw hps in a 5x5 for almost 2 years.. Bottom lime 630w cmh can compete with a 1kw hps.

CMH uses less power, less heat, better spectrum, more efficient, longer bulb life. Temp management is easy.

HPS more par, wastes much of the usable light plants use to grow. Produces more heat. Requires a lot of heat management, uses more power. Spectrum needs improvement for all stages of plant life.

yields where pretty much the same using either. There's always some fluctuations in yields from run to run. The difference was negligible.

My main flower room is 3x 630 cmh with 2x hps 600... All of my pics for the last 2 years where grown either under all CMH or a mix of CMH/HPS. It really doesn't matter what someones results are. I couldn't be more happy with what I get. This is all that matters. Don't let someone else make the decision before you have tested it yourself. If you run into problems there are people that can help.

Last edited:

couchlockd

My question and statements are geared towards the claim that 315 can out yield a 600.

Yeah I've seen them close personally to 400

I'm asking has anyone seen a straight 315 kill a 600 or give it a head to head run for the money?

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I cant see how a 315 could compete. 600 produces much more PAR. A competent grower will do better with a 600. 315 in veg are perfect..

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Here vegged under 2 315's..

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

couchlockd

Yes those look awesome, like Olympian plants.

Whatvi want is a controlled side by side by side, of 315, 400, 600.

I can't do it myself, I have not the room, time, or free time

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You will have to do the test yourself. The only way to be sure. You might find some side by sides on other forums.

couchlockd

Ah I don't care for other forums, maybe old gardens-cure.com

But this place is the Smithsonian of pot.

Understand, I'm not trying to argue, nothing would please me more than firing up my once used 315's and cutting my bill in half.

Your pics and opinion I trust, as you are very sensible about it not comparing to a 600. But smashing a 400 all day.

Do you run a hood with a lens? Is it a specifically designed 315 hood? Could my issue have been I used my hydrofarm daystar air cooled good not designed for 315's?

Help me get my bang outta my 315's..

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I dont use 315's to flower with.

veg area with 2 315's in phantom hoods.. Covers a 6x6 well.

picture.php

couchlockd

I go from clone to 1 week veg under a 2x4 tent with 3 125w 5500k cfls in batwings, then to a 2x5 with a 400 5500k venture MH for a second week of veg. Then flip with 600 hps air cooled for the duration of flower

Tried the 315 in there wasn't like the 600.

Ideas? I should be able to kill it with a 315 in that space, no?

I pull an average of 13 to 15 out of that closet. 8 plants in 3 gallon pots of super soil

Bluto

I run a DE CMH in a Gavita dailed to 600 in a 4 x 8 tent on a light rail, for veg. Love it a 600 could not compare. I put the 600 is in my scrape pile.
But to each there own.
Would I trust it in flower? My boy runs the beast. 1 DE with two 315 bulbs in one hood. Most would find this ridicules. With a 12 foot ceiling he is killing it.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You should not have any issues using a 315 to veg. My pics speak for themselves. After cuts are rooted they grow in a 16oz for 2 weeks then up potted to 1 gal until ready for final flowering pot. Look at my veg pic. Plants on the right are ready to flower. Plants on the left need to be up potted. I keep my lights 24-36" from the plants. I dont do anything special. Keep temps below 80. Good medium, dont over water..