What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

CMH vs Doble ended vs Single endend

couchlockd

picture.php

picture.php

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
Thank you couchlockd, Growers Choice is the brand I bookmarked. I wondered about the frequency but since I always match bulb and ballast brands when possible I trust their "variable frequency" ballast will be fine.

I do wonder how the ballast chooses the frequency to run the bulbs at, not that I doubt it, I am curious how it works. Seeing the "high frequency" usage label on the bulb worries me too much to use a true low frequency bulb in their "variable" ballast. It may be a small variation noticed by a salesman and put in the advertisement for sales reasons.
I suppose my reservations could be called "doubt", but the curiosity on how the frequency decision is made by the ballast programming is real.

couchlockd

Thank you couchlockd, Growers Choice is the brand I bookmarked. I wondered about the frequency but since I always match bulb and ballast brands when possible I trust their "variable frequency" ballast will be fine.

I do wonder how the ballast chooses the frequency to run the bulbs at, not that I doubt it, I am curious how it works. Seeing the "high frequency" usage label on the bulb worries me too much to use a true low frequency bulb in their "variable" ballast. It may be a small variation noticed by a salesman and put in the advertisement for sales reasons.
I suppose my reservations could be called "doubt", but the curiosity on how the frequency decision is made by the ballast programming is real.

This is more than likely this first box they used.

They say you can use on high freq. But not ideally recommended.

I like my sunplix, i am going to get her fired up in a week or so, after I clean my room

I'm seriously debating buying an chm specific air cooled hood

Freet

CL, The ss 630 watt air cooled does have glass.. Never had a reason to look before...https://hydrobuilder.com/sun-system...paign=906258&gclid=CNOe7ryf1NICFQ5EfgodGnQE2w If ever i needed to grow a farm, instead of a garden, the 220v model would be my choice...
The 315 is my Goldilocks light, not to big, not to small, it's just right.... And doesn't cost that much, to buy or run.... It's like buying gold at a discount....
I prefer fast a 8-9 week high thc indica... For 35 day veg, 18-6, 70 days 12/12 flower, total power would be $51.00...for the light, @ .11KW.. Under 500 hours on the bulb... even if i replace it at 5000 hours, a bulb will last me 2 years.... 5-6 grows...

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
That must be on the 4k boxes. All of my 3k, 3k-r boxes dont have that on them. I don't have any 4k boxes left.

couchlockd

Local shop said they'd give me a sun system 630 leg setup for 750 out the door.

The DAMN hood is vented the wrong way.

Damnit that's really really cheap

picture.php

Last edited:

couchlockd

For what it's worth no HID bulbs are meant to be ran on high-frequency ballast now they somewhat built to withstand it a little better but by Nature they are not designed to run anything over 60 hertz

Last edited:

couchlockd

Input is always 50-60.

Herts is cycles,

Basically a Sine wave. AC or 'alternating current' dips above and below some wave 50 to 60 times per second. In Europe its 50 in USA its 60.

DC current on the other hand operates strictly above or below (below in some instances) the wine wave. Never alternating.

Its the alternating nature of AC current that makes it so easy to kill you at low voltages compared to DC current.

Remember back to when lumatek, and other eballasts came out how they were eating bulbs in a matter of weeks , sometimes in days.

Its because the out up of those and many others were 50,000 hearts or cycles a second.

Now magnetic coil core ballasts output was 50 to 60 hertz.

Bulbs were not designed to deal with 50,000 cycles a second, that harmonic resonance literally shook the bulbs to death.

Remember the adds for the lumateks and the like showing a bulbs arc tube fired on their ballast compared to a mag? The e ballasts showed a steady fat arc in the tube, mags showed a wavy "uneven" arc.

The steady was not really steady, it just dipped 50000 times a second and appeared constant when compared to a arc tube being fired at the normal 50-60 cycles.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You guys are confusing Hz and kHz.. Gavita runs at 100khz.. A double ended lamp operates optimally between 100 kHz and 150 kHz..The double ended design reduces harmonic distortion by stabilizing the lamp on both ends, allowing for electricity to pass through the bulb with a very high frequency.

Mains electricity is whats delivered to homes and businesses(Input Frequency:50-60 Hz). A voltage of (nominally) 220V and a frequency of 50 Hz is used in Europe, most of Africa, most of Asia, most of South America and Australia. In North America, the most common combination is 120V and a frequency of 60 Hz.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
For what it's worth no HID bulbs are meant to be ran on high-frequency ballast now they somewhat built to withstand it a little better but by Nature they are not designed to run anything over 60 hertz

Your post only mentioned Hz. DE Bulbs do not run at 60hz. All electronic equipment we buy in the USA runs on 50-60Hz. The frequency ballast produce is different.

Last edited:

Cannabologist

Veteran
Sounds like you have an agenda when it come to the phantoms..

Yes, I am being paid by phantom and or philips or someone to say all these things, it is not based on years and years of personal experience with growers thinking they are the best thing ever. ROFL.

YEP. Wait. I mean no. WHAT THE FUCK??? Dude. Stop smoking so much.

You go straight to conspiracy and insanity when you are questioned on your process, and the fact that SO many people are straight up killing it with these lights..

I've seen too many grows to know, and there is also too much anecdotal evidence out there for it to not be true. You're are literally the only person who has said anything to this effect. You're like doug curtis with his whole CHS shtick. You are literally the one "that guy" who isn't/wasn't getting results off them... Which again, leads to 2 simple explanations, 1, its you. 2. there could have been something shoddy in the tech you used, a defect, or something or other....

And it's you could be as simple as, you didn't hang the light close enough. Who knows! I'm not trying to shit on you, this is trouble shooting. No one wants to say it's first their error... When it usually is. I blame myself first, you should too. Just think about it.

I would say in spite of what you linked me and claims of those being great ballasts, those ballasts are not as good as claimed. For one, they are firing up multiple types of lights... I'm not an engineer but that tells me then you need at least 4 different technologies squeezed into one ballast (plus dimmibility)... Thats A LOT of things to go wrong and fuck up. A phantom II 315 cmh is built for one thing, with much less to go wrong.

ALSO! Some of their claims are TOTAL ROFL..
  • They are low frequency, square wave intelligent dimmable ballasts. features features features! Breakable features!
  • The ballasts extend lifetime of a bulb to more than 10 years.THATS BLACK MAGIC!
  • The ballasts accept three types of bulb: CMH, HPS and MHNeo from the Matrix level woah
  • ballasts work on 120V, 208V, 240V and 277V. MOAR features!
  • The ballasts are the only UL, CUL, FCC listed CMH ballasts on the market.ORILY
  • The ballasts are based on the patented, 4th generation ballast technolo well if its patented that means my engineer friends can't take it apart and figure it's all the same shit just twisted in a different way hmm wait..
Are you fucking shitting me?? Get the fuck outta town with that.

AND you believed it.

Hey! I have some ice to sell you, its dry ice! You put it in your grow room, and it'll help your plants grow. All you need is a one or 2 cups worth, just put it in a dish on the bottom of your grow room.

Granted, I'm not an expert on lights or an engineer to preface, or proface, and when it comes to all the new lighting tech that comes out from all the various companies popping and going, it goes over my head since I'm a bio guy. BUT.. I know when I'm being marketed to... And that's why often times I'll agree with you when it comes to an industry standard about reliability with a 600 hps or other. But... again.. these cmh's work... great.. so.. yeah..

Are the numbers equivalent to generic 600 watt hps lights or beyond? I'm going to run my own tests but we'll have exact numbers from people I know to know in a few weeks cut and dry, so, we'll see.

The pics are out there. I can't post other people's pictures. I don't even post pics of my own. But if you look you will find.

But all this aside, its also true from good study that different strains like different things; this could be/include lighting profiles, since we know nutrient requirements can sometimes vary. It's always a crap shoot man just turn it on and keep testing!

Last edited:
So what is everyone's experience with the 630 DE cmh? What improvements does it have over a dual bulb 315?

Seems that the fixtures cost 50% more, the bulbs last half as long, are double the cost, and put out equal light. Am I missing something?
I wanna try one out, but the #''s don't add up

Can anyone help me see the light? Lol

silverhazefiend

"Aint no love in the heart of the city"
Veteran
I just came to say i think you guys are jumping the gun with the whole dimming thing ,you guys clearly forgot to mention where they say always match correct bulb with wattage

So if u wanna dim down to 600 from a 1k buy a 600 bulb to match dont dim the 1k ..if u want 750 get a gavita bulb rated for 600-825watts ive seen some people say dimming is stupid but i think it has a place and when done right it will save you alot as oppsed to having to buy more shit