What's new

Click here for Afropip Durban Poison, and GN Thai Stick or don't. I dont care.

Dave Coulier

Veteran
DP flowering males

DP flowering males

Ive been collecting some pollen from the DP males who are flowering under 16/8 schedule. I didn't have enough trashcans to stick the males into like I normally would, so I just cut the flowering tips off, and stuck em in cups of my normal fertilizer solution. Ive got parchment paper underneath the cups so that the pollen falls onto it.

I would like to next time use small see-through storage containers that I can stick male flowering tips into. Small enough for each cup and 2-4 flowering tips. That would help keep the pollen better contained while it collects on the parchment paper beneath.

I know some of the testers got a DP male that is purple, consider yourselves lucky. :) None of these males have purple pollen sacks. Although I did get 3 of 12 females that are flowering purple from the beginning.

picture.php

picture.php

Badfishy1

Damn need some of that man batter for some c99 and recreate space queen. Took a quick look through thread and looking good m8. Will read front to back as time permits

Dave Coulier

Veteran
Damn need some of that man batter for some c99 and recreate space queen. Took a quick look through thread and looking good m8. Will read front to back as time permits

Thanks Badfishy. Lots of nice pictures in the thread and some good nuggets of wisdom. Hope you find it worth your time.

Dave Coulier

Veteran
Well gang, the purple DPxTSG is no longer purple. The lil seedling is fully green now, but I wanted to share a couple of pictures of the last day it was really sporting the purple. Maybe we'll see some nice purple hues from it in flower.

picture.php

picture.php

Dave Coulier

Veteran
Intruder In the Garden

Intruder In the Garden

I came home to find an intruder in my garden tonight. Thankfully the bugger was harmless. Somehow Wasps always seem to find their way into the house. Im not a fan of killing them, so I pick them up on my finger and let them loose out of a window. If you've never picked a wasp up with your finger, I strongly recommend it. Dont worry about it stinging you. Ive never been stung by one that I picked up and Ive done this dozens of times by now. Suddenly startling a wasp is a good way to get stung though, so be careful. Its a humbling experience to watch that lil lifeform crawl across your fingers knowing that you could squish it easily to death. It trusts me enough not to string me, so why would I ever harm the guy.

I decided I would take some quick shots of him since he was in no hurry to move.

picture.php

picture.php

Aww the lil guy is giving me a kiss...

picture.php

picture.php

On second thought, Im not sure I want any more kisses...

picture.php

djimb

Veteran
I guess you got that macro lens! I've got to say that your photography is consistently some of the best I've seen on icmag. Am I remembering correctly that you're using a Sony mirrorless?

Dave Coulier

Veteran
I guess you got that macro lens! I've got to say that your photography is consistently some of the best I've seen on icmag. Am I remembering correctly that you're using a Sony mirrorless?

Fooled you Dj! I still dont have a macro lens yet. I used two Krenko extension tubes(16mm & 10mm together) for those shots except the last one. The closeup of the wasp head was actually a cropped shot of the picture before it. It came out even better than I could have hoped for.

Of course I did finally get a remote trigger, and a cheap tripod. Gonna upgrade the tripod eventually. I use a Sony A6000 mirrorless camera w/ Sony Sel35f18 35mm f/1.8 Prime Fixed Lens.

Thanks for the praise. Im glad you enjoy the pics :)

djimb

Veteran
Those extension tubes do a pretty good job, especially with such a sharp, fast lens. Your crop really does look great!

I want to get the same camera eventually. Right now I have access to a Nikon D5100, and I have a handful of old manual prime lenses for my film SLR.

One of the things that really draws me to the a6000 is the ability to adapt practically any old manual focus lens to it. In fact, if you're still interested in getting a macro and you don't mind turning the focusing ring yourself, you can find great deals on older manual lenses. A quick look at eBay brought up plenty of options for $50 or less.

smokditup

I would love a a6000. I checked one at last week. Crazy camera. I still have canon 400d im using. But definatley the 6000 just looks insane. Beautiful piece of kit

Dave Coulier

Veteran
Those extension tubes do a pretty good job, especially with such a sharp, fast lens. Your crop really does look great!

I want to get the same camera eventually. Right now I have access to a Nikon D5100, and I have a handful of old manual prime lenses for my film SLR.

One of the things that really draws me to the a6000 is the ability to adapt practically any old manual focus lens to it. In fact, if you're still interested in getting a macro and you don't mind turning the focusing ring yourself, you can find great deals on older manual lenses. A quick look at eBay brought up plenty of options for $50 or less.

Thanks DJ. I was pleasantly surprised with how well the cropped shot came out. If they look that good with just extension tubes, I can't wait to see how they look when I get a macro lens.

I hadn't considered getting an adapter and a used macro lens yet, but I like where your minds at. The cheaper it is the sooner I can afford it. :biggrin:

I just spent the last 30 minutes or so looking at options on ebay and reading lots of reviews @ dyxum.com. Ive got my eye on a Minolta AF 100mm f/2.8 Macro. Dont much care about the AF, as I prefer MF for closeup shots. I was considering the Sony or Tamron, but they're double what the Minolta costs. Maybe we'll get some macro shots in here soon.

I would love a a6000. I checked one at last week. Crazy camera. I still have canon 400d im using. But definitely the 6000 just looks insane. Beautiful piece of kit

Yeah, I got turned onto it by a friend, and been very happy with it since. Hope you can get one in your future Smokditup. You'll be very happy when you do, but definitely get the remote trigger if you dont already have one. Im palm slapping my forehead for not buying it at the same time. Its a must have.

Thai stick looks incredible too.
Those bug shots are just insane.

Glad you enjoyed the pics Smokditup. I was very pleased with how they were as well. Some of my best shots lately. Thanks remote trigger and tripod! Im glad you like the Thai, I plan on snapping a few shots of the two remaining sisters I still have. Stay tuned for them.

djimb

Veteran
The leaves on that thing! It's hard to tell scale in pictures. I didn't realize they were so big. Such a healthy shade of green, too. And the double serrations, oof... gorgeous.
It's been a while since you've shown off the Thais. Glad to see G again.

Dave Coulier

Veteran
Sexy as fk

Im glad you like her Illuminate. She's a fav in my garden. Ill be posting some pics of her sister TSE soon.

What size pots are you flowering those GN Thai in? Picked up a pack of RSC Highland to try and tame at some point...

Normally I flower the Thai in 2-2.5 gallon containers, but this girl has been in a one gallon container for around 1.5 months now. I was trying to limit her growth via small container, but she doesn't seem to listen to me :).

Hope you have a blast with the RSC Highland Thai. Please post some pics of the plants when you get around to it. Should be a fun challenge for you with those 4-6 month flowering times :biggrin: Just a tip for those long flowering sativas, do not put them directly under your light source unless you have a large distance between plant and light. This Thai mom sits outside the lights footprint and does outstanding there, but would do much worse if I had her right under the light.

that thai is legend,good shit mane thanks for the visual

Thanks Jam, Im glad you enjoyed her. Im quite fond of her too. Im considering trimming her back some, and then flowering her out soon. Ive got some Golden Diesel pollen Id like to dust her with. Always expanding my seed collection :).

The leaves on that thing! It's hard to tell scale in pictures. I didn't realize they were so big. Such a healthy shade of green, too. And the double serrations, oof... gorgeous.
It's been a while since you've shown off the Thais. Glad to see G again.

Oh yeah, those blades are probably around 8 inches long, and thats under MH. Probably be larger, and longer under HPS. Glad you noticed the double serrations. I dig em too. Stay tuned for some TSE, and some shots of DurbanxTSG seedlings.

Dave Coulier

Veteran
PNG Update

PNG Update

Its been two weeks since the seeds began to come up. Everyone is in excellent shape and coming along nicely. For the 1st week of their lives, I had them about another 6 inches away from the bank of T5's, and starting at around week 2 I put another 9 oz dixie cup underneath to raise them up a bit.

There are 6 54wT5's above them, so I try to keep them at a healthy distance. Plants take a real nose dive if they get too close to the T5's.

Every two days, they were fed only 10ml of nutrient solution around 150ppm using Dyna Gro Grow & Protek. Ill get a more precise profile sometime soon. 10ml really isn't going to saturate 9oz of media obviously, but its enough to keep the top of the media moistened and a humid environment between media and container walls. They need so little moisture at this point. Starting at week 2 I upped it to 15ml of feed, and about once a week I bump it up to 20ml. As they get bigger Ill slowly increase the volume, but I generally keep it between 10-15% of container volume, with a 20-25% once a week.

I like the use of clear containers so I can monitor root growth, and make sure there is enough RH in the area between container walls and media. Ive found the ideal level is when there are very tiny droplets of water covering the inside of the cups. If there are no droplets RH is too low and those white fuzzy roots dont grow as fast, and begin to dessicate if RH isn't restored. Oh and no drain holes in the bottom. Ive found drain holes work against keeping a humid environment around the rootball, so that means no run-off.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

The water droplets on the lower left side of the picture is ideal size. Although the larger drops in the upper right are ok too.

picture.php

picture.php