What's new

Click here for Afropip Durban Poison, and GN Thai Stick or don't. I dont care.

MaryMaven

meh, I understand your concern over the packaging, but this time of year I wouldn't worry too much about anyone knowing what was in the box. As an avid gardener who starts ALL of her own bedding plants under lights indoors - and has been doing that a LOT longer than I've been growing weed indoors - I've order and receive all sorts of growing stuff by mail for years - lights, medium, nutrients, mats...you name it, I get it in the mail because the nearest town to us with that sort of stuff is 40 miles away. The postman, and THE MAN, has never batted an eye in my direction...it's spring, it's TIME for them to be delivering that stuff. :)

So, my EBH plants are coming down tomorrow. They've been 8 weeks in flower, they are about 10 - 15% amber trichs, and this morning one of them was sporting a couple of nanners on one of her top buds. So, off with their heads!!

I'm a bit disappointed in the bud size - they stalled about 2 weeks ago and never got going again. I'm pretty sure it was the light - it's a King Plus 1200w Double Chips Full Spectrum Led Grow Light. Nothing fancy. Plants do spectacularly well in veg under it, and so far the PxM is packing on the bud under it, but it is early for her too.

I'm thinking about getting something different for flower. What would you personally recommend, Dave? Ceiling height is slightly over 6 foot, so heat and distance is a factor. That's the main reason I went with LED. I probably won't be getting the new light until the fall, but would like to start looking now. The space it will go in is roughly 3.5' x 3.5' so it wouldn't need to be big but I want it to have what it needs to flower out plants that usually do better outdoors (like the EBH) indoors in the winter.....thanks. :)

Dave Coulier

Veteran
I believe you want the non-calcined ( natural diatomaceous earth )

https://www.absorbentproductsltd.com/diatomaceous-earth-calcined-vs-non-calcined.html

Which OptiSorb is .

Thanks for posting your recipe.

Peace GG

You may be right that its not calcined, but I believe its been heated to some extent. It holds its shape quite well, and has never broken down into mush in the media. For my purposes it works quite well. EP likely does sell a calcined DE even if Optisorb isn't calcined.

Im gonna try and get some info out of EP minerals regarding Optisorb to know for sure if its calcined/non-calcined.

I do know for sure the Thrifty Sorb I bought is calcined, so it will holds its shape very well, and perform as expected.

meh, I understand your concern over the packaging, but this time of year I wouldn't worry too much about anyone knowing what was in the box. As an avid gardener who starts ALL of her own bedding plants under lights indoors - and has been doing that a LOT longer than I've been growing weed indoors - I've order and receive all sorts of growing stuff by mail for years - lights, medium, nutrients, mats...you name it, I get it in the mail because the nearest town to us with that sort of stuff is 40 miles away. The postman, and THE MAN, has never batted an eye in my direction...it's spring, it's TIME for them to be delivering that stuff. :)

So, my EBH plants are coming down tomorrow. They've been 8 weeks in flower, they are about 10 - 15% amber trichs, and this morning one of them was sporting a couple of nanners on one of her top buds. So, off with their heads!!

I'm a bit disappointed in the bud size - they stalled about 2 weeks ago and never got going again. I'm pretty sure it was the light - it's a King Plus 1200w Double Chips Full Spectrum Led Grow Light. Nothing fancy. Plants do spectacularly well in veg under it, and so far the PxM is packing on the bud under it, but it is early for her too.

I'm thinking about getting something different for flower. What would you personally recommend, Dave? Ceiling height is slightly over 6 foot, so heat and distance is a factor. That's the main reason I went with LED. I probably won't be getting the new light until the fall, but would like to start looking now. The space it will go in is roughly 3.5' x 3.5' so it wouldn't need to be big but I want it to have what it needs to flower out plants that usually do better outdoors (like the EBH) indoors in the winter.....thanks. :)

Yeah your probably right about not worrying too much about it, but my mailman does look like a stoner :) If anyone would be suspicious, itd be a stoner mailman, but people around here dont go snooping into other peoples business, so either way Im not gonna sweat it.

Sorry to hear your EBH plant had some nanners. At least its occurring later in flower where it can't do alot of damage. I found a couple of nanners on my Shit leaning Early Durban lately, but Ill continue to give her a couple more weeks. She's not yet ready, and if I end up with a few random seeds, so be it.

6 feet isn't alot of height to work with, so we can probably eliminate HPS from your options, unless its a low wattage HPS. Metal halide could work for you, but CMH may be the best option. Better spectrum than MH, or HPS, with less heat. Id try a 315w CMH in your spot and see how it goes. Fall is many months away, so at least you'll get to see how well CMH performs in my garden before making a decision.

MaryMaven

Yeah your probably right about not worrying too much about it, but my mailman does look like a stoner :) If anyone would be suspicious, itd be a stoner mailman, but people around here dont go snooping into other peoples business, so either way Im not gonna sweat it.

Sorry to hear your EBH plant had some nanners. At least its occurring later in flower where it can't do alot of damage. I found a couple of nanners on my Shit leaning Early Durban lately, but Ill continue to give her a couple more weeks. She's not yet ready, and if I end up with a few random seeds, so be it.

6 feet isn't alot of height to work with, so we can probably eliminate HPS from your options, unless its a low wattage HPS. Metal halide could work for you, but CMH may be the best option. Better spectrum than MH, or HPS, with less heat. Id try a 315w CMH in your spot and see how it goes. Fall is many months away, so at least you'll get to see how well CMH performs in my garden before making a decision.

Ah, I get it, you weren't worried about THE MAN, you were slightly annoyed that the postman might ring twice. Just repeat after me and practice until you can be convincing "Dave's not here..." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtDAK7Umk7A :D

The EBH estimated time in flower is 7-9 weeks, and today I'm sitting at 8 weeks with amber trichs showing so I'm happy enough with them. I'd let them go a little longer, but that PxM is in with them and I DON'T want her compromised at all - she's too young to be a mama!:D So I'll take them down. I won't get the yield I was hoping for, but it will be enough to supplement my daughter until I can bring in an outdoor grow this summer/fall.

You are right, 6' is nothing, that's why the LED. So, I'll be happy to let you test-drive the CMH :D let me know how that goes for you and I'll order accordingly come August!

As always, your girls are looking gorgeous - when I grow up to be a REAL grower, I wanna be Dave! :D

Peace
Maven

Dave Coulier

Veteran
Hey gang, Im back with a quick update on the seeds I started a few weeks ago. We started with 30 seeds, but only ended up with 7 healthy surviving seedlings. I was hoping for more to play with, but at least I got plants from each variety I popped:

1 DurbanThai x Golden Diesel
3 Durban P x Thai Stick G
2 Durban P x Golden Diesel
1 Durban P x Shit

Maybe lady luck will favor me, and Ill end up with mostly females. They're due for a transplant, which Ill take care of tonight. They'll be moving into .75 gallon containers.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Dave Coulier

Veteran
DP x Thai Stick G Update

DP x Thai Stick G Update

I started 20 of these DPxThai seeds close to a week ago, and so far Ive had 18 break the surface after 6 days in the media. Fresh media + Rootshield has done wonders with getting the germ rate higher, as well as keeping the plants alive after they break the surface(none lost so far).

Germ rates, and survival rates of seedlings was poor on my last run when I used reclaimed media/no rootshield. Looks like things are back on track now.

Im going to give them 10 days of veg, then move them into the flower room.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

Dave Coulier

Veteran
Update

Update

Sooo I changed my mind on the Durbans. I have moved 12 Durban females into the flowering room. They just looked too nice to not run. I had the space becuase I moved the 3 Early Durbans(Shit x Durban P) into my harvest closet since all 3 now exhibit nanners.

Can't say Im shocked. Mr. Nice Shit has had this problem in every batch of seeds Ive run, as well as now two different Shit hybrids expressing that trait too. Everything I ever got from Mr. Nice(Shit, MangoHaze, Black Widow) expressed nanners. Ive got Mr. Nice Nevils Haze, and SkunkHaze sitting in my freezer waiting to be ran someday. Maybe my luck will change with those haze hybrids.

Its a shame, as two of them have a candied star anise aroma to them. Even stronger anise smell than many of the original Durbans females I had. Ive got 4 Shit females in flower atm. Maybe Ill get lucky and find a female or two that doesn't express the intersex trait. If so Ill keep that pairing on my list to explore. If all Shit females fail me, Ill just have to cross it off and move on.

The next batch of seeds I start will likely be a run of DPxGD. Im kinda curious as to what Ill see in that cross.

Back to the Durbans. I had 8 males, but eliminated one about 2 weeks ago. He was flowering too profusely under 18/6 flower cycle, so I culled him. I can't stand males that wont stay in veg under 16/8. I end up having to run lights longer costing me more money just to try and keep them in veg. Very frustrating, so I am eliminating any males that are like this.

Of the remaining 7 males, 4 more are going to drop pollen within a week under 16/8, while I have what looks like 3 other males who are in no hurry to hit puberty like their faster brothers. Ill still go ahead and collect pollen from the 4 males and test them for intersex traits by flowering beyond what is necessary for pollen collection purposes. A month beyond usually is long enough to see if intersex traits may pop out. Although Ive had plants in the past that go through several flowering cycles before ever showing any signs of intersex traits.

Sorry to make you all read so much text without so much as a picture to go with it, but ill be uploading some Golden Diesel, and DP shots tomorrow.

Dave Coulier

Veteran
A few Early Durban shots

A few Early Durban shots

Day 77 Flower

Well all 3 of the Early Durbans have been chopped down now. I gave em a day in the dark closet, then the axe. Normally I leave all the fan leaves on and go for a drying period of at least a week hanging up. This time, I removed all the large and small fan leaves off of two of the Early Durbans hoping to reduce drying time by a couple of days. Ill then be jarring up the buds just like I did the Golden Diesel Larf (vented lid).

Those two plants will have buds compared to the last sister who will get 7 days drying and has most of her fan leaves still attached. Followed by a couple of days in vented jars/containers. We'll know soon enough if I can get the same quality buds minus 2 days wait.

The few pics below are of the one who has most of her fan leaves still attached. She's the one who started to go purple in fan leaves first. Its a shame I wont get to see the autumn colors fully blossom in her fan leaves, but Im about to collect some Durban Pollen, and I dont need these girls polluting things.

This girl has small buds, but boy are they covered in resin.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Dave Coulier

Veteran
Day 77 Early Durban Harvest Shots

Day 77 Early Durban Harvest Shots

This is the Shit leaning Early Durban that was hung up a few days ago.

This plant illustrates how far I go with cleaning up the lower parts of the plant. She looks like there will be quality nugs from top to bottom, with no significant larf.

Her buds also have a nice purple hue to them. It started to occur about the time the fan leaves began to purple. I wanted to give her another week, but 11 week harvest looks like alright to me.

This girl had some crazy long petioles. 7 inches at the longest on her.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Dave Coulier

Veteran
Durban P x Thai Stick G Purple Seedling

Durban P x Thai Stick G Purple Seedling

I wanted to share a couple of pics of this lil seedling. Out of the 18 seedlings I have, this is the only one who has purpling of its leaves. Ill be paying closer attention to that plant. Maybe I'll get treated to a plant who is purple in veg.

picture.php

picture.php

djimb

Veteran
Impeccable work as always, Dave! You're an artist. I can't wait to see what comes out of this next round of Durban x Thai seeds. Are these from a different mother than last time? I don't think I've seen purpling in a seedling like that before.
I'm also looking forward to seeing the DP x GD grow out. I'm a sucker for Colombian crosses.

Dave Coulier

Veteran
Impeccable work as always, Dave! You're an artist. I can't wait to see what comes out of this next round of Durban x Thai seeds. Are these from a different mother than last time? I don't think I've seen purpling in a seedling like that before.
I'm also looking forward to seeing the DP x GD grow out. I'm a sucker for Colombian crosses.

Thanks DJ. I appreciate the love! These 18 DPxThai are from the TSG mom. The previous time, I had grown out seeds that originated from two Thai Moms, but very same father. TSA(very sativa dominant bud structure, and probably the fastest flowering of the original Thais I had). Sadly she's no longer with us. The mom of the 18 DurbanThai seedlings I have going now is TSG(she is still alive and kicking). Got some pics of her recently that Ill upload real soon.

I can't recall the last time Ive had purpling like that on a seedling either, so it should be a real treat to grow the lil one. Hoping its a girl, but Ill be satisfied with a boy too.

I do think I have some DPxGD in the veg tent right now. Just a very small number though. We will get to see them in the near future as they get closer to being flowered out. Stay tuned for them.

Dave Coulier

Veteran
Thai Stick G Mother

Thai Stick G Mother

Just a few pics to share of the mom of the recent seedlings we began. TSG is doing wonderful under the MH. She's improved greatly since moving from the T5's to MH. I do keep her much further away from the MH light source than she ever was under t5's. It seems the further away I move the thai and other plants away from the close t5 light source, the more they improve. I carry the increased distance over to flowering and its helped keeping foliage healthy and greener deeper into flowering for my plants.

Whenever I raise the plants up closer to the lights by 12 inches, I always see increased N deficiency stress, as well as upper canopy yellowing prematurely. I typically like at least 3 feet distance from a 600w MH whether in veg or flower. When I get within the 2 foot range, Ill often see increased deficiencies.

In case you are curious, this is a clone of a clone, of a clone. The seed plants dont stay in the garden for more than a year or so before I move onto a clone of her, and then another clone of that plant, etc.

picture.php

picture.php

Some interesting variegation on this fan leaf. Just this one leaf is affected.

picture.php

A couple of pics from tonight.

picture.php

picture.php

oldbootz

Veteran
That leaf variegation is from the leaf vein outwards to the edge and the edge still carries its normal serrations albeit slightly smaller in morphology. So I'd guess that its genetic and not due to environment or worse hemp mosaic virus which can look similar. But with HMV there is leaf twisting and the serrations are not there anymore.

Latest posts

Latest posts