What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Chocolate Thai Revival

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
The old tokers around these parts tell a story how back in the day the cartels used to dip Thai sativa buds in liquid chocolate in order to get an even more chocolatey chocolate Thai for the export market. Some say they were dipped in Switzerland. Some say the chocolate taste was all genetic. There was a nestle factory not far from where it was grown so who knows..

hehehehehe :D yeah you should start thread thai sticks dipped in swiss chocolate. secret operations of nestle..

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
The old tokers around these parts tell a story how back in the day the cartels used to dip Thai sativa buds in liquid chocolate in order to get an even more chocolatey chocolate Thai for the export market. Some say they were dipped in Switzerland. Some say the chocolate taste was all genetic. There was a nestle factory not far from where it was grown so who knows..

The smell taste is all genetic mate any one that tells you it was dipped in chocolate needs there head read.

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
From Spliff Seeds
Royal Thai was made using an Early Thai mother and a Skunk#1 father. Our Royal Thai provides the strong, uplifting high and unique chocolate taste that Thai is renowned for, but with better bud structure and a shorter flowering time.

This tall and lanky plant takes 14-15 weeks to mature and comes in three phenotypes. One is a typical airy, stretched sativa with a woody, piney flavour. The second leans more towards its Skunk #1 father, with sweet-smelling, beefy buds. The third pheno has the typical chocolate flavour Thai is famous for, but takes slightly longer to mature.

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
You also get of course the chocolate/coffee aroma by good curing.Can remember the dark black Thai which was sold in the 90s in some of the coffeeshops.It looked like this Thai Stick
image_2026419~2.png

Raho

Veteran
The smell taste is all genetic mate any one that tells you it was dipped in chocolate needs there head read.

Dang Hempy . . . it's a joke man. The kids these days call it sarcasm.
hempy doesnt recognize sarcasm.jpg

Differences in genetics from batches of Thai sticks? Sure, of course, as each load in a season would be different. Different field, different farmer, different seed stock.

BTW: Most of the "chocolate" taste of chocolate Thai came from the handling. At the time, it was usually described as "loose thai" not chocolate.
It was unique for Thai at the time because it didn't come on sticks and looked more like mexican and colombian that had been pressed into bales after harvest for transport.
The degradation from that process had more influence over the taste than any differences between the plants before hand.

Names like "chocolate thai" would be street names, given by dealers in the US and other import locations to describe the superficial traits of a batch they got (usually without any detailed knowledge of the true origins of the weed.) I am sure that farmers selling the product in thailand back then weren't giving buyers a choice between "chocolate" or "Juicy fruit" buds.
Sticks or loose.

A few generalizations tended to be true though:
  • Sticks were better smoke than loose ("chocolate")
  • The earlier the weed the better (by mid 80's, the quality was a shadow of the weed that created the legend. Decline could be genetics or from mass production.)

Raho

Veteran
You also get of course the chocolate/coffee aroma by good curing.Can remember the dark black Thai which was sold in the 90s in some of the coffeeshops.It looked like this Thai Stick

Hey Mex,
Didn't I read somewhere that a lot of the "thai sticks" that were sold in europe in the 90's were actually african weed processed to look like Thai in order to get premium prices?

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer

Differences in genetics from batches of Thai sticks? Sure, of course, as each load in a season would be different. Different field, different farmer, different seed stock.

BTW: Most of the "chocolate" taste of chocolate Thai came from the handling. At the time, it was usually described as "loose thai" not chocolate.
It was unique for Thai at the time because it didn't come on sticks and looked more like mexican and colombian that had been pressed into bales after harvest for transport.
The degradation from that process had more influence over the taste than any differences between the plants before hand.

Names like "chocolate thai" would be street names, given by dealers in the US and other import locations to describe the superficial traits of a batch they got (usually without any detailed knowledge of the true origins of the weed.) I am sure that farmers selling the product in thailand back then weren't giving buyers a choice between "chocolate" or "Juicy fruit" buds.
Sticks or loose.

• The earlier the weed the better (by mid 80's, the quality was a shadow of the weed that created the legend. Decline could be genetics or from mass production.)

Thai mostly came in stick form the compressed brick stuff came towards the end of the imported Thai i even saw Thai that were individually rolled in paper with Asian writing that had a strong incense type smell that were the length of a pencil and thick as a cigarette and rock hard.

The term choc Thai is American we called them Thai or Buddha sticks here there were a few Thai sativa lines and one of the best we saw was collected from Thailand in 85/86 that the Local sauce called Golden Buddha we lost that to bad storage.

Stocktont

Veteran

Sticks or loose.

You’re right on the money there with names like Chocolate and Buddha being added by westerners for obvious reasons (to most). I also think you’re on the money with the post-harvest processing having impact on smell, taste and effect. There’s still brown cannabis in Thailand that I suspect have had something done to it after harvest (not dipping in opium or chocolate though, lol, that was really funny hehe) like some sort of cure. Even today it’s hard to keep anything fresh in the thai climate and I am pretty sure they didn’t have refrigerators en masse back in the 70s and 80s, not where it was grown and processed for sure.

The pictures are of a brown type of cannabis I get from a good friend and it’s always the same, very consistent even throughout the seasons, which is rare these days. The early 70s would have been a great time to be in Thailand and smoking I am sure. There’s still some great cannabis to be found but it’s not at all that consistent as it sounds reading credible sources from back in the day. And still today no one is calling anything weed Chocolate, Lemon, Mango or Buddha et-al, not in Thailand. If you’d ask leading questions like ”is this Chocolate Thai” they might say yes as they might think that is what you’re looking for but when those names come up it’s always a tell-tell sign that someone’s been told a fib or made something up.

hempy doesnt recognize sarcasm.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	hempy doesnt recognize sarcasm.jpg Views:	11 Size:	23.9 KB ID:	17815167

hempy doesnt recognize sarcasm.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	hempy doesnt recognize sarcasm.jpg Views:	11 Size:	23.9 KB ID:	17815167

Stocktont

Veteran
There’s usually not a lot of seeds in that brown type and the ones I would find were always mature and dark, no immature or light colored seeds for whatever that is worth. About half of the seeds would be crushed to some extent due to the pressing of the weed and from the remaining seeds maybe 10% would germinate. Last time I tried to germinate 105 seeds and I got 7 to pop. Out of the 7 seeds, 3 were female. Out of those three, two cured into a brown color and one stayed green. One of the brown was rubbish the other brown was pretty nice and very sticky, the green one was really nice but more generic in type with some lemon/lime candy aromas and flavors with really sticky, small resin heads. The good brown one had much larger resin heads and a more mature flavor that was somewhat savory with a tone of sweet plums.

One thing I noticed when smoking the brown I bought from my friend was that it always had a special smell after smoking like many people say about ”haze” it’s like some sort of incense smell. I grew up in an area with almost no catholic churches so I couldn’t really say if it’s that kind of incense or not, our churches smells like old wood and mold most of the time which isn’t that far off from some of the not so good thai weed I have tried. None of the females I grew had that incense kind of smell when smoked though they were good they retained much more of the typical cannabis flavors and smells, much more so than most commercial pressed but that is due to me harvesting, trimming and curing it on my own, that and smoking them as fast as I could, LOL.

Picture from trimming the good brown one… it looks almost green but the flowers had a golden brown hue, not as brown as the sister or the weed I found the seeds in.

little thai pearls.jpeg

thai plum.jpeg

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
That looks like the brick Thai we got towards the end of the imported Thai some of it was real nice some was real poor in potency.

A Thai contact my friend had in Thailand organized seed of a strain the Thai guy called Golden Buddha so it was not just westerners that called Thai sativa Buddha.

A lot of the Thai sativas well the ones we grew would go brown from harvest to when the plant had dried so over 3 to 5 days depending on temps. Others stay green and cure brown.

Have you come across anything you would call an outstanding Thai sativa yet ?.

A mod here that past away recently ( RIP ) Andy lived in Thailand for some years cant remember how long for but we had many a chat on the current state of Thai sativa there most he told me was okay nothing special some was nice and if i remember correctly told me it was coming from Burma.

funkyhorse

Sawadeekhap Stocktont
What you are showing is a fermented brick, very rare in Thailand indeed
From the descriptions of people I believe the old Thai Stick was fermented weed, same as old colombian, old paraguayan, the stuff from Malawi and a few other places in this world. It was the traditional treatment given to sativas back in the 20th century

Is there any chance you could find out the method/recipe of the thai brick cure you are showing?
How is the high of your brick?

For more info about fermented weed, please check Tangwena's thread: https://www.icmag.com/forum/marijua...ing-processing/309936-malawi-style-cob-curing

This home made brick is a Lemon Thai from DCC release, I fermented it a little bit too much, this is how you learn to do it, experimenting.
Lemon Thai cob.jpeg

This home made brick is Tom Hill Haze from MadMac repro
Thh21 cob (7).jpeg

This is paraguayan brick, pic from yesterday. This is the stuff sold in most southamerican capitals for 30 baht a gram. It is a sad brick, you must smoke 2 big fat spliffs in order to get a very little high, paraguayan weed in the 80's was on par with the descriptions of Thai Stick, these strains are extinct today, only the myth is alive.
paraguayan brick.jpeg

funkyhorse

There’s usually not a lot of seeds in that brown type and the ones I would find were always mature and dark, no immature or light colored seeds for whatever that is worth. About half of the seeds would be crushed to some extent due to the pressing of the weed and from the remaining seeds maybe 10% would germinate. Last time I tried to germinate 105 seeds and I got 7 to pop.

Less than 10% is the expected germination rate from brick seed. Same results with southamerican brick. The reason is the fermentation process involved in this cure that ruins the seed

Stocktont

Veteran
Less than 10% is the expected germination rate from brick seed. Same results with southamerican brick. The reason is the fermentation process involved in this cure that ruins the seed

funkyhorse ’wadee khrapom!

I have suspected something like that. Other pressed bricks that seem to not have been through a fermentation or other such kind of process also have quite low germination rate from the pressing but also from drying out I think. Cool pictures indeed and I agree that the brown type I posted above is not a commonality with commercial bricks. It is much better and I always suspected that the post-harvest process had something to do with it.

That bricked haze sounds cool man, bet it’s a nice smoke.

Stocktont

Veteran
That looks like the brick Thai we got towards the end of the imported Thai some of it was real nice some was real poor in potency.

A Thai contact my friend had in Thailand organized seed of a strain the Thai guy called Golden Buddha so it was not just westerners that called Thai sativa Buddha.

A lot of the Thai sativas well the ones we grew would go brown from harvest to when the plant had dried so over 3 to 5 days depending on temps. Others stay green and cure brown.

Have you come across anything you would call an outstanding Thai sativa yet ?.

A mod here that past away recently ( RIP ) Andy lived in Thailand for some years cant remember how long for but we had many a chat on the current state of Thai sativa there most he told me was okay nothing special some was nice and if i remember correctly told me it was coming from Burma.

here we go again… this going to be another one of those where you start to talk then tuck your tail and hide like the front page of the Seed Bank 1990 catalogue or the thai language… etc. etc.

Do you honestly think I want to talk to you about anything after last week when you started to talk about me and my life, in addition to all the other times when you call me ”too young” or ”haven’t grown a plant”. If I cared even a little bit I would tell you exactly what I think of you and the few (of your own) pictures you have posted but I don’t and I won’t.

You either are lying about that ”thai contact” or your friend lied to you and you believed it. It’s not the only thing that is a tell-tell of a fable maker but I won’t point the rest of it out to you so you may perfect your trolling on these topics. Go back to cry about people disrespecting your famous friends (even though that’s only in your head) and let the grown ups have a nice talk about Thailand and Thai weed. To me you’re just a waste of time.

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
here we go again… this going to be another one of those where you start to talk then tuck your tail and hide like the front page of the Seed Bank 1990 catalogue or the thai language… etc. etc.

Do you honestly think I want to talk to you about anything after last week when you started to talk about me and my life, in addition to all the other times when you call me ”too young” or ”haven’t grown a plant”. If I cared even a little bit I would tell you exactly what I think of you and the few (of your own) pictures you have posted but I don’t and I won’t.

You either are lying about that ”thai contact” or your friend lied to you and you believed it. It’s not the only thing that is a tell-tell of a fable maker but I won’t point the rest of it out to you so you may perfect your trolling on these topics. Go back to cry about people disrespecting your famous friends (even though that’s only in your head) and let the grown ups have a nice talk about Thailand and Thai weed. To me you’re just a waste of time.

I was genuinely trying to be nice but how do you expect respect when you treat me like shit at every turn clearly its a wasted effort on my part.

My response to you last week was deserved and i dont lie Stocktont i have been active on the forums for just over 20 years now and my story's and info stay consistent those that have been around a long time know this.

Your not right upstairs dude seek some medical intervention honestly.

Stocktont

Veteran
I was genuinely trying to be nice but how do you expect respect when you treat me like shit at every turn clearly its a wasted effort on my part.

My response to you last week was deserved and i dont lie Stocktont i have been active on the forums for just over 20 years now and my story's and info stay consistent those that have been around a long time know this.

Your not right upstairs dude seek some medical intervention honestly.

I don’t care how many years you’ve been reading up on other people’s experiences and ideas to be able to have your twisted fantasy of reality. You tried to lie about me, in specific where I have lived and for how long, remember or is the altzheimers acting up too bad these days? I know for a fact that you don’t know me or where I have lived my life and what I filled my days with. You have no clue to who I am and what I am about yet you try to straw-man out of situations mostly like in this post, boosting yourself with stupid shit you think makes you look more credible like how many years since you found the online forums, LOL. Then the other side of the coin, trying to discredit the other part of some stupid online argument.

You saying I have mental problems probably is the best sign of sanity to me, LOL. Now stop making this about you, show some pictures of your trips to Thailand and all the weed you smoked there to have your loud opinion about it or better yet, show some pictures of those imports you rattle so much about… don’t turn this in to another stupid argument, I think no one else enjoy it but you.

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
Grow up Stocktont then i may consider you mature your the one attacking me if i treated you the way you do me then you have a reason to complain.

All i did was share my experiences and i honestly dont care what you think and as the topics Thai how about you stick to that ?.

Your plants were harvested way to soon ( your pictures show that ) your not going to get the best of any plant by harvesting to soon.