What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Chocolate Thai Revival

Sachiel

Do you have a workbench aswell or are you going to work in some kind of Glovebox? I´m asking because I have found that these gloveboxes are not suitable for all kid of tissue culture. You can establish primary cultures in them (e.g. get seeds into media, transfer shoots for propagation), but callus often tends to die off due to the high ethanol content in the atmosphere.

Sachiel

For your Seeds dating back to the 90`s and 2000´s I think plain shugar and Agar ( saccarose in concentration of around 20-25%) should be suitable. Did you already do germination Tests on your older beans? Did they show roots? If so, just germinating them in sterile environment with more sugar could be sufficient. If that does not help, you need to employ the method I mentioned before.
Currently, I don´t have the time to start my next preservation run, but in about four weeks I should be able to get some media cooking ;)

Night4wings20

Do you have a workbench aswell or are you going to work in some kind of Glovebox? I´m asking because I have found that these gloveboxes are not suitable for all kid of tissue culture. You can establish primary cultures in them (e.g. get seeds into media, transfer shoots for propagation), but callus often tends to die off due to the high ethanol content in the atmosphere.

I have no idea right now to be honest. I have no sterile setup so I was hoping to see a step by step practice run so I can get an idea of what I'll need and how to do it.

I've tried popping the seeds with the paper towel method with some taproots popping out but not elongating as they should normally.

For your Seeds dating back to the 90`s and 2000´s I think plain shugar and Agar ( saccarose in concentration of around 20-25%) should be suitable. Did you already do germination Tests on your older beans? Did they show roots? If so, just germinating them in sterile environment with more sugar could be sufficient. If that does not help, you need to employ the method I mentioned before.
Currently, I don´t have the time to start my next preservation run, but in about four weeks I should be able to get some media cooking ;)

Before trying this sterile agar method or the worm bin method I'll be trialing using GA3 as a extra boost for the seeds. I've witnessed someone popping 40 year old Maui Wowie seeds with GA3 so that will be my first door opened before the others.

I'll wait for someone (maybe you) to post more about this or just read up myself on the subject, for now I'm just curious about how the sterile environment is created and how the medium is used.

Sachiel

I have no idea right now to be honest. I have no sterile setup so I was hoping to see a step by step practice run so I can get an idea of what I'll need and how to do it.

Before trying this sterile agar method or the worm bin method I'll be trialing using GA3 as a extra boost for the seeds. I've witnessed someone popping 40 year old Maui Wowie seeds with GA3 so that will be my first door opened before the others.

I'll wait for someone (maybe you) to post more about this or just read up myself on the subject, for now I'm just curious about how the sterile environment is created and how the medium is used.

Hey,

I´d be very cautious with using GA3. You might get the seeds to pop, but after that you might have to deal with extremely stretchy Seedlings. Espechially if your dosage is to high. All GA3 does in cannabis seeds is to elongate cells, so that the weak seedling can bust out better...

A sterile environment can be created quite easily. The most comfortable way would be a sterile workbench, but even my selfmade version was quite expansive. As long as you don`t have to work with callus tissue you can get away by using a Glovebox (there are plenty of instructions on these on the web) Or working in a flow of hot steam, e.g. above a pot of boiling water. Second of those is not so recommendable since you have to work fast in order to not kill the plants or burn your Hands. Either way I was working with both these methods before I had my bench!

I`ll see if I can find some pics of my old glovebox and upload them here.

Sachiel

Here you can see some results with 100 - 250ppm Solutions of GA3. These seedlings died shortly after...

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=334985&page=7

Sachiel

This is the Glovebox I used.

picture.php

It works like that:

First you scrub all the stuff you need with 70% Ethanol. Tweezers, Blades and your Media should be sterilized in a pressure cooker. Then, you put everything you need inside that box. Be sure not to forget anything as it can not be opened in mid - transplantation! After all the stuff is inside, you generously spray all inside surfaces with more 70% ethanol. Then you close the lid and secure it with some kind of clamps etc. After about 15 min. you can start to work. :smoker:

Emperortaima

Namekian resident/farmer
Wonder if the Chocolate Thai will be revived here.. also wanna bring into light on the possible origins of this legendary line could it have come from another country from a migrant? Reason I bring this to light is I have a friend who happens to have a seed "Laotian chocolate" could this be chocolate Thai? Or is it possible that someone from Thailand before most of their wild cannabis species were likely wiped out during the drug wars that this seed could have traveled to a cannaseur in that country? Will try and swap for some and grow it here in hopes of someone educating us all BLESSED BE and ONE LOVE

Emperortaima

Namekian resident/farmer
Meanwhil waiting for the Laos patiently I have by chance acquired some authentic Chocolate Thai seeds and once room is available will run them to see what it's like and will share my experience here on the mag

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I forgot about Hazeman...
If I recall correctly, he made a gen or two from Drawoh's CT and that is what is in his catalog.

Emperortaima

Namekian resident/farmer
And stoked to run em just waiting to run through Acapulco Gold and some Gaseous Clay from Sub Rosa stoked on the narrow leaf drug type varieties these coming rounds :D