What's new

Chitosan

iTarzan

If you are using 100% Chitosan than you are watering with 125 ppm. Is that right?

Why did you choose drench over foliar OutlawTree? I am trying to figure out a plan.

DuskrayTroubador

Veteran
Insect frass has chit in it (pun intended) and I was wondering if you all think it'd be a hood idea yo order some to incorporate into my feeding for flowering?

I have outdoor plants (you can see them in the link in my signature) that I feed with Jack's water soluble ferts and I'm thinking of just adding insect frass to the water I already put Jack's in. Thoughts?

Once flowering really gets going, I don't want to be spraying anything. Too much humidity. I may start mixing aloe vera juice in with the ferts too instead of spraying.

iTarzan

Shakiraloba insect frass is worth ordering for it's fertilizing ability alone. Plants love it. In the real outside world insect frass is a major source of food for all plants. The chitin benefits are a plus though.

4 teaspoons of insect frass per gallon pot and then work some in later on. I also use it with earthworm castings and make a tea which is great.

superjet

well I figured I would start with a teaspoon to 5 gallons of water. the water turned a nice yellow/light green, but I didn't get but a 5 ppm rise in my water with a little drop in ph.
chitosan powder (crab shells) all organic right? is that why I'm not getting much of a reading/measurement?
are you guys getting ec/ppm readings from your chitosan powder by itself? thanks.

iTarzan

Superjet you need to weigh it. It is calculated ppm not a measured by a ppm meter ppm. Some substances don't measure properly with a ppm meter.

I am going to weigh a teaspoon and find out how many grams or milligrams you used.

Back at you later today.

superjet

thanks iTarzan, I didn't think to use weight as a measurement. I weighed it (chitosan) with a teaspoon that I use and I'm averaging around 2.7 grams. so I'm at a good 1/2 gram per gallon. does that sound about right as far as dosage? thanks again.

iTarzan

I got the same weight of 2.7 grams.

Are you watering the medium with it or using as a foliar.

If it was .5 grams in 4 liters (little more than a gallon) that would be .125 gram (125 mg) and result in 125 ppm. In a gallon that is roughly 146 ppm. The sellers of that chitosan say start with 200 ppm and work up to 800 ppm. However, I think your mix would be fine to start.

I watered in using 1 gram in 1 gallon roughly 292 ppm and then I did a foliar at .2 grams in 1 liter for 200 ppm.

The research is hard going and almost endless. LOL!

Kygiacomo!!!

AppAlachiAn OutLaW
regalia,frass,aloe 200x and b-52 along with vitazyme it has tricantonal and brassinosteriod in it. it is defo working bc this year i have the biggest Delahaze plants in veg that i have ever had in my life. the first 4 listed all induce SAR/ISR as u know and its having a great effect. my plants are super healthy right now. the last 3 years i have grown delahaze and none never got no taller then 6.5 foot. this year 4 out 5 are approaching 9 foot tall and still in veg,the second pic of the Dela is my smallest one and its not to small lol i jsut got back from one my plots with 2 delas check em out.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
this is first time I aint living near to the ocean ever !!!!!!!!!..gonna have to order some.. grew up using crab,shrimp,lobster shells in the mix along with some other oceanic goodies..now I have to buy them all...errrr .. I miss the ocean.... great thread guys...yeehaw

Kygiacomo!!!

AppAlachiAn OutLaW
ive always had to order mine in but its one those things where the rewards are well worth it. if i was close to ocean i would been doing same thing as u S-T. i would collected all that stuff and kelp as well. i hear that malted barely contains the enzyme chitinese in it which is the one responsible for breaking down chitin into chitosan. im gonna give it a try on a couple plants and top dress it in and have some nice chitinese microbes working overtime on my crab-meal in my soil.

G

I have a flowering product that says it is half oligosaccharides. When I do a search for oligosaccharide fertilizer I get a lot of hits that reference chitosan oligosaccharides.
Do all oligosaccharides contain chitosan? Is this another topic entirely?

juzsumguy

I have a flowering product that says it is half oligosaccharides. When I do a search for oligosaccharide fertilizer I get a lot of hits that reference chitosan oligosaccharides.
Do all oligosaccharides contain chitosan? Is this another topic entirely?

yah. Oligosaccharides are just large complex carbon (sugar) chains.

i just made my first chitosan mix today.

1l distilled water, 20g Chitosan, 8g Thiamin Chloride (Vitamin B1), 10g salicylic acid.

This is supposed some kind of a Scorpion Juice Ripoff recipe.

Only Ornamental

Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist
Veteran
The chitosan oligosaccharide is composed of up to 20 (often 5-10) glucosamine monomers and considered the most active form. But it's also the most expensive one. Many tokers being tokers and many hydro stores being stupid without smoking (sooorrry :D ) just talk about oligos and oligosaccharides when refering to chitosan oligosaccharide and forget that there are many other types of oligos and oligosaccharides...
ANY chitosan will do the trick, it's just that the cheaper ones are less pure, contain larger polymer chains, and are less deacetylated (the acetylated form is called chitin and the raw material for chitosan synthesis) which renders them less active. Where exactly the optimum between effect and cost is???

I would not mix salicylic acid with chitosan as this triggers a SAR response which is not beneficial for trichome production. It may help against certain diseases but not all. If you'd add JAZ Rose Spray you'd push the response to an ISR which is what a grower wants in non-pest threatened plants. Or just use pure chitosan and let the plant decide which pathway to choose. ;)

TheOutlawTree

I have been using 1/2 gram to 1 gram per gallon and watering it in once or twice a week from week 4-9. I ordered 5 KG from best chitosan.

I recently switched to pro-biotic organic soil from coco and I'm wondering if the chitosan oligosaccharide is considered organic? Will it kill any of my soil life?

Naut.s.33

I use chitosan twice a week 1 gram in flower 1/2 gram throughout veg. Never seen any problems in my soil. Not sure about 100% organic fert/soil. I dont see way it wouldnt be considered organic. Unless I missed something or dont understand something. Helps everything it seems like.. let me find a link to this study...