What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Chitosan

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
Is Chitosan Oligosaccharide Lactate better than Chitosan Oligosaccharide??

shaggyballs

Veteran
Is Chitosan Oligosaccharide Lactate better than Chitosan Oligosaccharide??

It depends on the type of acid used for Chitosan Oligosaccharide.
But:
I believe they are the same product.
The lactate part just designates it was formulated with lactic acid instead of other acids and will probably dissolve easier in water at a more suitable PH.
But there is a difference in CAS# for Chitosan Lactate.
Is it better?
Not better and not worse just different modes of action and ease of dissolving into a solution.
A higher molecular weight product like Chitosan Lactate will work better at fighting of pest and pathogens.

I found using them together gives you the best of both worlds.
Best of luck.

Shag
:smoke out:

juzsumguy

thx now im totally confused.

i just thought i understood the above posts with chitosan acting as a primer of sorts and then the thing with the salycic acid and the jasmonic acids. and now this, damn this got me hella confused now:

These responses include ... biosynthesis of jasmonic acid

i shouldn't read this stuff anymore.

Kygiacomo!!!

AppAlachiAn OutLaW
use aloe and frass together and u get a double whammy. i used it this year with great results and will be using it again next year. im a big fan of chitosan

Kygiacomo!!!

AppAlachiAn OutLaW
Just FYI, if you want silica for your plants, use liquid silica. Diatomaceous earth is not water soluble, and will not provide silica in any significant amounts.
Nice recipe though....

i just now seen this. i also use liquid silica from dyna-gro. i use the DE in my soil mix and im a guerilla grower so it has plenty of time to break down,but what Eclipse420 told me is that DE is plant avalabile silica. Either way the DE has other benefits to like moisture retaining abilities and fungas gnat larva control.

Only Ornamental

Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist
Veteran
thx now im totally confused.

i just thought i understood the above posts with chitosan acting as a primer of sorts and then the thing with the salycic acid and the jasmonic acids. and now this, damn this got me hella confused now:
Quote: These responses include ... biosynthesis of jasmonic acid

i shouldn't read this stuff anymore.
Why the confusion? It's exactly as you say, no paradox there :D .
Chitosan is a primer, it puts the plant in alert phase quickening a response towards all sorts of stresses and diseases. These trigger either a SAR or ISR response, the former via salicylic acid signalling, the latter via jasmonic acid. The two acids are similar to hormones "flowing" from the attacked leaf through the whole (well, not the whole but some parts... anyway...) plant telling neighbouring leaves to put up their defences and cease lush and luxurious growth. In other words, chitosan facilitates the production of either SA or JA. Cause there's always some sort of stress, even minor ones, the application of chitosan itself does already trigger a slight production of JA (in some cases SA instead).
Mixing chitosan with jasmonate will directly put the plant in ISR combat mode whereas the combination with SA results in a full SAR response.
And yea, you SHOULD read that stuff! It's a very good article (a bit overwhelming for the novice, I admit)!

Loc Dog

Veteran
I can not believe how expensive Jasmonic Acid is!! $150 for a quarter gram. How much gets mixed with how much water??

I just noticed you mentioned Jasmonate. Which form? I am finding Methyl Jasmonate, Methyl Dihydro Jasmonate, and Jasmone. Does the molecular weight matter?

Last edited:

Terpz

i just now seen this. i also use liquid silica from dyna-gro. i use the DE in my soil mix and im a guerilla grower so it has plenty of time to break down,but what Eclipse420 told me is that DE is plant avalabile silica. Either way the DE has other benefits to like moisture retaining abilities and fungas gnat larva control.

I see the plants perk up after treating with a foliar or root drench of DE. I'm no scientist, but I can tell the difference between positive and negative effects/benefits. It is all carbon, zoom zoom.

Only Ornamental

Veteran
I can not believe how expensive Jasmonic Acid is!! $150 for a quarter gram. How much gets mixed with how much water??

I just noticed you mentioned Jasmonate. Which form? I am finding Methyl Jasmonate, Methyl Dihydro Jasmonate, and Jasmone. Does the molecular weight matter?
You'll find a lengthy post or two of mine somewhere on IC regarding this very subject. Money- and stability-wise, go with methyl dihydrojasmonate aka Hedione (@ perfumersapprentice.com) even if it's less active ;) .

shaggyballs

Veteran
You'll find a lengthy post or two of mine somewhere on IC regarding this very subject. Money- and stability-wise, go with methyl dihydrojasmonate aka Hedione (@ perfumersapprentice.com) even if it's less active ;) .

:yeahthats

Gots me some of that there stuffs, gonna give'er a go pretty soon here.
Thanks again OO!

There is a OO1-OO7, but OO is the original secret agent man:dance013:
:laughing:
Peace ya'll
:smoke out:
Shag

frostqueen

I'm curious about the systemic effect of chitosan o. against powdery mildew when used as a soil drench. That paper mentions it but doesn't go into much detail.

Kygiacomo!!!

AppAlachiAn OutLaW
I see the plants perk up after treating with a foliar or root drench of DE. I'm no scientist, but I can tell the difference between positive and negative effects/benefits. It is all carbon, zoom zoom.

hey terpz i agree brother. im just a stoner with a open mind and take all advice i can get from reputable sources on here.

Loc Dog

Veteran

Does Hedione vary in quality?

Found some on Alibaba cheap, but shipping was excessive. Just wondering if theirs is substantially purer. The best price from China was 58 dollars a kilo, but 55 dollars for shipping. Perfumers apprentice was 70 dollars, guessing 10 for shipping.

Should Chitosan Oligosaccharide be fed by itself, or can it be used in nutrient feed?

If it can go in feed, does it need to be first in the mix?

Could it be causing extreme growth of the Great White MYC in my mix?

:tiphat:

Last edited:
Chito powder + gallon distilled water infused with fresh lactic acid ( raw milk whey) + fresh yucca root + molasses + sprinkle of salt.

Fermenting 24 hr, folar

amannamedtruth

Veteran
Hey there KingRat,

In my opinion Chitosan is a valuable tool in any growers arsenal. Chitosan was first classified as a PGR but also has a tremendous upside as a SAR promoter and has antimicrobial properties. Salicylic acid has similar properties and effects as well. http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/ar/archive/dec03/plant1203.htm

The downside of chitosan is the cost, around $400USD per 500g if sourced in country. I would speculate that sourcing it from India or China is a more cost effective option. You are correct about Bud Factor X, formerly know as Scorpion Juice, containing this compound.

I found salicylic acid/asprin to be a detriment to the blooming process. Many other gardeners would agree.

Only Ornamental

Veteran
Does Hedione vary in quality?

Found some on Alibaba cheap, but shipping was excessive. Just wondering if theirs is substantially purer. The best price from China was 58 dollars a kilo, but 55 dollars for shipping. Perfumers apprentice was 70 dollars, guessing 10 for shipping.

Should Chitosan Oligosaccharide be fed by itself, or can it be used in nutrient feed?

If it can go in feed, does it need to be first in the mix?

Could it be causing extreme growth of the Great White MYC in my mix?

:tiphat:
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=hedione+icmag
:D (You have to wait 5 seconds)
Or go with JAZ Rose Spray. The c[FONT=&quot]oncentrate (Methyl dihydrojasmonate aka Hédione®) is 0.68%. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]: Official dose for roses is 100 ppm = 15 ml/l, a good start to try and see.[/FONT]