What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Chitosan

Only Ornamental

Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist
Veteran
Does the chitosan oligosaccharide powder have a shelf life?
Yes, it does. But if stored properly (protected from light, moisture, and heat) it should be at least +5 years, likely a lot more. The main issue is the amine group which can bet oxidised. This should result in a colour change (yellowish at first, later reddish or brown) which you will only see with white high quality stuff and it should also start to smell bad. If you have a colour-, smell-, and tasteless powder, then it's easy to tell when it's degrading beyond usability ;) .
If you have a salt form such as the lactate, the the stability is considerably increased compared to the free base. The hydrochloride on the other hand might be somewhat more susceptible to humidity resulting in slow de-polymerisation (though, that's just an estimate).
I'm sitting on some glucosamine HCl (that's the monomer) since 2008 and it just looks the way it did when I first got it.

If you have too much and don't know what to do: seal it and store it in the fridge or even the freezer. Most pure compounds will live a very long life like that but only if you thaw them well before opening the 'container' or you get condensations and then *RIP*.

EDIT:
BTW properly done whole cockroach hydrolysate will also contain amino acids, sugars, and hydrolysed fat which also functions as surfactant/wetter/sticker. An elaborate workup beyond filtration and pH adjustment won't be needed :) .
And here a few pics from my former cockroach collection... unfortunately, I had to stop that hobby as they didn't like the climate after moving and with the passing of my last bearded dragon there was no one left to eat 'em.

Attachments

• Therea olegrandjeani Female A.jpg
    Therea olegrandjeani Female A.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 26
  • Gyna lurida B.jpg
    Gyna lurida B.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 25
  • Lucihormetica subcincta Male.jpg
    Lucihormetica subcincta Male.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 23
  • Blaberus craniifer CH B.jpg
    Blaberus craniifer CH B.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 25
  • Gromphadorhina portentosa A.jpg
    Gromphadorhina portentosa A.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 25

milkyjoe

Veteran
Crustaceans also contain chitin. Crab meal is an excellent source of Ca and chitin. Crab hydrolysate would be good

Indirectly by adding either crab, lobster or shrimp meals as a soil amendment. These specific marine organisms contain Chitin in their shells, IOW you would not find Chitin in Clam or Oyster Shells. Microbial activity breaking down Chitin creates the Chitinase enzyme and it's this enzyme that prevents insect eggs from maturing thereby preventing the larva to mature.

Chitosan is manufactured using bacteria to harvest this enzyme. I've never used the manufactured products.

CC

Im with Coot on this. Plus, if you add malted barley teas you will ramp up the chitinese levels tremendously. $60 for 50 lbs of malted barley...used at 1 oz per gallon. You do the math. What's a better deal?

Mr. Roseberry

Only Ornamental

Veteran
Im with Coot on this. Plus, if you add malted barley teas you will ramp up the chitinese levels tremendously...
Me not so much: The statements
Microbial activity breaking down Chitin creates the Chitinase enzyme
and
Chitosan is manufactured using bacteria to harvest this enzyme.
are pure nonsense...

Do you happen to have a reference for your claim that malted barley tea induces chitinase expression and could you elaborate why this is the case (e.g. active constituents?)? Thanks!

shaggyballs

Veteran
To mush for me loool
fear of kill my lil crop with yu stuff to mush dam infos in one time.
Chitosan is chemical or bio?
Safe to use ?
Did some One make à chart to use it?
C Lear with pic with and not?

Hey Chine
It is good to see you around.
Are you still working your finger down to the chop sticks?:biggrin:
Here is a nice pic explaining things a bit also
7-2.jpg

Don't worry about killing your crop as OO says it is very safe I just added 1000 ppm 1 gram per liter of Chitosan Oligosaccharide lactate
For the last week and I noticed a decent increase in trichome production. but start at 100 PPM and work your way up.
Chitosan Oligosaccharide lactate is so safe you can eat it.
Here http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHITOSAN-Ol...084?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27f7a4b8b4
Supposedly this stuff is 14 times more effective in bio-activity than any other form chitosan
I have also read they use Chitosan to replace skin on wounds and even used on the human eye...wow!
This stuff is very versatile and an amazing compound not just for growing.
Try not to work so hard Master Chine, maybe we will see you around more!:tiphat:
shag

Just pointing this out, but glucosamine is the mono unit of chitosan (monosaccharide vs polysaccharide). They're both made from the same stuff, chitin. Actually I'd be surprised if the glucosamine you buy in pill form is 100% broken down to the monomer. There's probably a percentage of chitosan in it. It's readily available and cheap everywhere. Might not hurt to give it a try instead as a foliar treatment.

I was reading patents on how the above is made (crustaceans). It looks like the fermentation process produces roughly a 1:1 ratio of glucosamine:chitosan which is present in the water layer when they centrifuge it. I'm not sure how this is further processed, but I did find an agricultural patent that used a foliar spray consisting of about 2% chitosan and 2% glucosamine.

Only Ornamental

Veteran
Commercial (food or medical grade) glucosamine has to be controlled and tested. It's highly depolymerised and most consists of monomers. The bad news are that glucosamine by itself has biological effects which are not the same than those caused by chitosan. In vegging plants it may be beneficial but I doubt that it's any good during flowering.
BTW, patents claim a lot and just because a patent says something doesn't actually mean it's really done that way in real life (or done at all) ;) . It's just claims.

TheOutlawTree

Finished my first run with chitosan at 1g per gallon 1x a week in flower... Plants were all very frosty.. I am going to send some flowers to the lab to get THC%. I would say i saw positive results for sure. I plan on using chitosan every run now.

I think next run i will use it 2-3x a week and use it after 5-6 weeks or so. Some people say it can effect yield if used early on in flower but i didn't notice an major decrease in yield.

Commercial (food or medical grade) glucosamine has to be controlled and tested. It's highly depolymerised and most consists of monomers. The bad news are that glucosamine by itself has biological effects which are not the same than those caused by chitosan. In vegging plants it may be beneficial but I doubt that it's any good during flowering.
BTW, patents claim a lot and just because a patent says something doesn't actually mean it's really done that way in real life (or done at all) ;) . It's just claims.

Thanks. That info on glucosamine is good to know. Your right about patents and claims. I see a lot of claims on this forum, too.

The patent utilizing the chitosan/glucosamine for ag had a couple of test examples that showed greater than 10% boost in yield vs the control. One example was with wheat, and one with squash. I think one of them had a 17% boost in yield. http://www.google.com/patents/WO2011157747A2?cl=en

stoned40yrs

Ripped since 1965
Veteran
A member mentioned a product in some thread- I think it was Stormshadow. Anywho I bought and have been using this product for 3 months in my perpetual grow. Haven't done side X sides but I noticed a huge jump in resin and frost and maybe yield from the chitosan me thinks. It's called Jump Start and made by Grow More. It contains chitosan made from King Crab. You will not see it listed on the bottle and it takes some googling to find this out. I use it at 1ml/gal. I think it's $23 a quart and I'm still on my first bottle. Good shit:tiphat:

Kygiacomo!!!

AppAlachiAn OutLaW
I believe insect frass is a source of chit , can anyone else confirm this?

old post but i love chitosan and yes insect frass has chitosan in it. my plan this year in using chit is top dress with insect frass for slow release of chitosan and folair with bud factor x,regalia and B1 vitamin,B2 for enhanced SAR/ISR induction.

Kygiacomo!!!

AppAlachiAn OutLaW
Finished my first run with chitosan at 1g per gallon 1x a week in flower... Plants were all very frosty.. I am going to send some flowers to the lab to get THC%. I would say i saw positive results for sure. I plan on using chitosan every run now.

I think next run i will use it 2-3x a week and use it after 5-6 weeks or so. Some people say it can effect yield if used early on in flower but i didn't notice an major decrease in yield.

awesome cant wait to see the lab report results if u will share it with us. i to will also always use chitosan in my grows. idk how i could grow with out it now i have used it and seen the effects it does to my ladys.

iTarzan

Did you foliar feed the chitosan?

iTarzan

What would the mixing rate be for using as a foliar? I got the Chitosan Ogliowhatever off eBay.

Same for brassinosteroid.. what is the mix rate in grams per gallon.