What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Chinese yunnan indica

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi farmerlion

I'm very surprised you got two plants from one seed. I have seen twins coming from a single seed a few times, but i have never seen it in the China Yunnan line although everything is possible .... is there any chance that 2 different seeds germinated in the same hole ? The purple one looks indeed like the recent China Yunnans should look like, the other green one could be a recessive more sativa expression, more frequent in the first 2 generations of the line, but they are rare in latest generations.

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Premium user
Mentor
Veteran
420club
I had double checked my notes to check number of seeds for China Yunnan. What I have left in freezer and the single plant for that bag all checked out. I'd like to see another seed of any strain do that. It was by far the most unique plant I've ever had. Both meristems are curing into incredible smoke. This was my favorite plant of the season. I did dig out the root ball in my validation of single or double plants. She was a unique single child. A true joy and honor to experience. Peace

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi farmerlion,

Really happy you rate your China Yunnan from this season as the favorite cannabis plant you ever had! :huggg: With all the different high quality genetics you grow this means a lot! :)

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Premium user
Mentor
Veteran
420club
I look forward to getting a smoke report back on these two phenotypes. An older very experienced smoker was gifted the majority of both plants. I kept a small sample for myself of each. While being dry to the touch at first. They are sticky in capital letters. Maybe I should have kept a little more for myself. Peace

Vapomiam

I had double checked my notes to check number of seeds for China Yunnan. What I have left in freezer and the single plant for that bag all checked out. I'd like to see another seed of any strain do that. It was by far the most unique plant I've ever had. Both meristems are curing into incredible smoke. This was my favorite plant of the season. I did dig out the root ball in my validation of single or double plants. She was a unique single child. A true joy and honor to experience. Peace

Happens to me a couple times, here with last version of Mextiza. Experienced deformities in leaf shape too and herm while precedent version of the strain didn't show any of those traits. A link? Impossible to say with small numbers used.

20150621_163233.jpg
Mextiza siamois.jpg
20160730_092426.jpg

Last edited:

riddly

were the Yunnan seeds (the very first opening pic of the thread) sourced locally in Yunnan or were they coming from a seedbank?

Thanks and by the way beautiful plant, good looking

420empire

Veteran
Wow really nice plants farmerlion, you relly took good care of her :) The structure if that plant looks really beautiful, could just look at her for hours hehe. Dubi well u do any repro of Yunnan and maybe ind reg form he ;)

KaYa-mon

Been in Yunnan a few times and the herb sold now is from very poor quality... Also the plants i saw were tiny and small, doesnt say anything but when i travelled further south of kunming close to the burmees border the herb was of far better quality. Could not find much vital seeds as i was in the wrong grow periode to collect but the classic strain is still there. Town called Xishuangbanna and was with the dai people who cultivate and use cannabis for as long as they can remember.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi KaYa-mon,

Very interesting! Thanks for joining the thread and for sharing your first hand experience about yunnanese cannabis. :)
Did you had the chance to take pics of the different phenotypes you found during your trips in Yunnan ? I also have heard from other travellers that there are great landrace strains in that area neighbouring Myanmar and Laos.

Yunnan province is well known for the floods in late summer. When do you think is the best and safest moment of the year to explore the area and hopefully score some seeds from local strains ?

KaYa-mon

hello dubi, it's an honour... love that Yunnan strain from Ace. yes, i wish i still had the few pictures i took.
had a few of unripe plants but lost it somewhere down the road, weak excuss but the truth.You should know in that arrea they are not so fond of people taking pictures. For cannabis that is then...

last time i visited Yunnan was march 2013, Yunnan is very very big and in the south i not ever saw an other foreign tourist. Chinese tourists on the other hand a lot!

Though China has already a written cannabis use of more then 1000 of years.. many Chinese only have a vague idea of its effects and believe it is as addictive as it is as illegal as heroin under Chinese law.
But it's grown and you can get it everywhere, in the big cities like Shanghai it is sold by west africans, if you know your way it is very relaxed even can buy relatively good hash.

The best time to travel in/to Yunnan is in spring and autumn, especially March to April, and September to November (autum) daily temperature differ a lot changing from 12 to 20 ℃. The month of May is likely to be the rainiest month. Summer (June to August, best growing time) in Yunnan will not be very hot and winter in Yunnan is never too cold. Autumn is the harvest season of most plants.

August in Yunnan is generally rainy season

So best go to Yunnan in March, go home and come back end september, harvest time ;-)

more west sangri la has a large temperature difference between morning and evening, it is generally to put on your thick coat or outerwear in the morning and evening. In between is freaking hot!

I really should go back again because at that time i was not so aware of landraces and so on. But sure China in that arrea (Sangri-la close to Tibet and in the south laos, Myamar (Burma) has some surprises left.

Last edited:

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi KaYa-mon,

Thanks for going into detail, all the first hand info about chinese cannabis strains and their history, and more concretely about yunnanese strains is highly appreciated :)

As far as i have experienced, the Yunnanese strains with huge seeds are the ones selected for seed production (food) and these kind of strains are not very interesting regarding psychoactive properties. The hemp strains grown in Yunnan are also easy to recognize.

The interesting psychoactive strains from Yunnan produce medium sized seeds, grow with an indica hashplant shape/behaviour but some phenos can also show certain sativa influence, anyway they are easy to recognize in flowering due to their tempting aromas and resins :yummy:

I'm very lucky to have the chance to travel every year to SE asia as i have family living there, and the best weed i have tried so far there were the sativas from northern Laos, that's why i'm so interested to explore more the strains from that area (southern Yunnan, northern Laos and Northern Myanmar) as i think they have amazing qualities and potential and they are almost unknown for the western cannabis scene. They are also different compared with the extreme tropical sativa strains grown for example in Thailand, Cambodia or Sumatra.

We have just started to explore a new landrace strain from Hokkaido, Japan, and we are finding lot of resemblances with our China Yunnan hashplant indica pheno (leaf traits, behaviour, overall look). I find the hashplant landrace strains from East Asia super interesting and are worth of further and extensive research.

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Premium user
Mentor
Veteran
420club
Hokkaido??? Dubi, wow brother! I look forward to a release of these genetics. Any chance to try them next season? Peace

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hokkaido??? Dubi, wow brother! I look forward to a release of these genetics. Any chance to try them next season? Peace

Hi farmerlion,

The Hokkaido Japan is still under R+D stage, we will let you know in case the line is interesting for psychoactive properties and we are successful with its reproduction.

Thanks for your interest :)

Pepé The Grower

ICMag Donor
Veteran
A bunch of Yunan pictures, P5 from the regular P3 offered a few years ago:

N°1, @54 days 12/12:
picture.php

N°2 @ 60 days:
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

N°3, the most sativa-ish @ 60 days:
picture.php

Dogtown

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]@ Pepé The Grower[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] this are true beauties! Wonderful!
Are you going to make a smoke report after some months of curing?
If I may ask you where you got those Yunnan seeds from?

Thanks
[/FONT]

Latest posts

Latest posts