What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Chinese yunnan indica

brickweeder

...I also tried the China Yunnan hashplant indica x Orient Express route but didn't like the outcome, it didn't improve over pure China Yunnan or straight Orient Express.

Thanks Dubi. I guess the CY doesn't always transmits its chunkiness to crosses.

Would you mind going through a short list of CY crosses that you tried and found that they didn't pan out? That might save me some wasted experimentation time.

...Don't worry, sooner or later we will bring back pure China Yunnan back in regular and fem format,
just didn't find it was a priority after releasing the inbred Kali China, and we need resources to preserve landraces not explored yet.

I understand the resource limitations, so appreciate ACE's efforts. For me, this is a hobby, but the progression of my previous hobbies were a function of the time I put into it. This one is different because it is subject to the timing cycles of God's gift plus a plant count limit. Makes for slow going and a test of patience.

I've got a PCKxCY going (and a Panama x Destroyer) and will post in the Mixes thread later on.

brickweeder

Here are some photos of the dried.

Attachments

• CYa1_b_sm.jpg
    CYa1_b_sm.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 147
  • CYOEa2_b_sm.jpg
    CYOEa2_b_sm.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 143
  • CYOEa4_b_sm.jpg
    CYOEa4_b_sm.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 145

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi brickweeder,

Probably only China Yunnan x Orient Express was the only pure China Yunnan cross that i didn't find it was an improvement over the parent plants used in the cross.

Beside Orient Express (Vietnam Black x China Yunnan), my best results with China Yunnan has been achieved through Kali China (75 % China Yunnan) breeding and outcrosses instead of with pure China Yunnan. My favorite ones are Haze x Kali China, Thai Chi and Zamaldelica x Kali China. PCK x Kali China and Nepal Jam x Kali China are also very good.

Lovely nugs :yummy: Enjoy!

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
x
I received the chinese yunnan seeds around 2002 from kernal kosmix (who unfortunatly passed away a few years later). At that time, we were in a now disappeared internet preservation forum sharing landrace genetics. I didn't pick up the seeds in person in Yunnan, kernal told me the seeds came from chinese inmigrants that were working in his area.

The seeds had a medium/small size, pale on color without (or very little) mottling. I grew them all and i found what seemed to be a landrace hash plant indica (columnar, compact, fast flowering, resinous) but with different traits to the afghani and pakistani strains i experienced before.

Around the same time i also was growing thais and other SE asian sativas, the chinese yunnan was clearly indica but had some features that reminded me northern thai/burmese strains, especially for the taste/aroma and start of the effect. It was obviously a landrace rich in THC (it was very psychoactive, not hempy kind of population). The chinese yunnan effect was at the end relaxed and meditative and i always have had the feeling that the line has some amounts of CBD too.

Thinking about the origins of cannabis, Yunnan location, ancient medical uses of chinese culture with cannabis and the mixed traits between what is classicaly consider cannabis indica traits and SE asian sativa traits, it was/is my guess that this chinese line and probably other strains from this area of the world are probably the connection between the more extreme cannabis indica strains from Afghanistan, Pakistan, North India ... and the extreme tropical sativas from SE asia. It's only my opinion, and i think the only way to know it for sure would be to make dna analysis of this unhybridized asian landraces to learn more about where the psychoactive cannabis evolved and how they genetically changed in the different geographical areas were they were spread and under the breeding pressure from different human populations.

Now the genetists have the knowledge and technology to make this kind of studies, we already know more about the origins of human populations, animals and vegetables thanks to dna studies so i think is only a matter of time that serious genetic studies about cannabis and its origin are finally done.

6 years ago i received other seeds from Yunnan province that were radically different, super big and mottled, the contact told me the yunnanese people used the seeds as a food. I grew them too, they were a hempy population with none or very little psychoactive value. China is huge and i'm sure there is a huge genetic diversity in chinese cannabis landraces.-Dubi

This is what I found also not potent at all. I grew dozens of populations, thousands of plants over 5 years in my greenhouse, we collected over several years all over Yunnan, many had great smells and a lot of resin big buds, none were potent, I mainly collected the largest seeds I could find as big as 12 to one gram they were the largest seeds I have ever seen or grown. Worse than lousy smoke.
I did GD-Fid analysis in my lab of every plant grown by me, and none were over 1% THC. But that was fine with me as I was breeding for big seed not THC. I did get a stabilized variety that could be grown outdoors in Canada near Ontario and finished with no problem, they all had below .2% THC ( I had eliminated any with any THC from the 5 year breeding program) and were about 15 seeds to one gram. I could of bred a 12 to one gram variety but they were not as early and I wanted them to be grown outdoors in Canada so I used the 15 to one gram seeds that could be grown outdoors in Canada. All with very very low THC.
-SamS

This is the background i can share about the origins of the chinese yunnan line we have been working with since the very early days of ACE Seeds.

Sam, you are a very fortunate person to have the talent, experience and resources to explore big landrace populations and to develop excepcional strains (psychoactive or not).

Kind regards! dubi

Last edited:

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
I see it in many populations, I have also seen triplets. I do not know if they are Identical twins or Fraternal?
Twins can be either monozygotic ('identical'), meaning that they develop from one zygote, which splits and forms two embryos, or dizygotic ('non-identical' or 'fraternal'), meaning that each twin develops from a separate egg and each egg is fertilized by its own sperm cell.
-SamS

Hi farmerlion

I'm very surprised you got two plants from one seed. I have seen twins coming from a single seed a few times, but i have never seen it in the China Yunnan line although everything is possible .... is there any chance that 2 different seeds germinated in the same hole ? The purple one looks indeed like the recent China Yunnans should look like, the other green one could be a recessive more sativa expression, more frequent in the first 2 generations of the line, but they are rare in latest generations.

brickweeder

Hi brickweeder,

Probably only China Yunnan x Orient Express was the only pure China Yunnan cross that i didn't find it was an improvement over the parent plants used in the cross.

Beside Orient Express (Vietnam Black x China Yunnan), my best results with China Yunnan has been achieved through Kali China (75 % China Yunnan) breeding and outcrosses instead of with pure China Yunnan. My favorite ones are Haze x Kali China, Thai Chi and Zamaldelica x Kali China. PCK x Kali China and Nepal Jam x Kali China are also very good.

Lovely nugs :yummy: Enjoy!

Thank you for the great info.

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Premium user
Mentor
Veteran
420club
I was so happy to find a pack of the China Yunnan in my library a few days ago.
Peace farmerlion

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi Sam,

Thanks for chime in. I think we talked a bit about this in 2016 in this thread:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=96094&page=24

I'm checking back the notes of the seeds i sent you for the initial Phylos project, and based on my notes i sent you seeds of the China Yunnan (non psychoactive, big sized seeds) but as far as i know this one was not finally genetically analyzed.

I also sent a few years later directly to Phylos stem samples of our psychoactive China Yunnan (P2) and from one parent plant of my inbred Kali China hybrid (F4).
The genotype reports of these 2 are available to public access.

It's sad the Phylos project finally came to grief. I was really excited with the possibility of seeing a genotype report of your Original Haze, a pitty this didn't happen.

Hope you and your loved ones are doing fine. Wish one day you can make a new massive selection and reproduction of your O Haze.

MoorlandMoss

Hi, I've nothing but respect for you all over at ACESEEDS. Without your NepJam, and the Guatemalan strains I never would have known Cannabis as a medicine for myself personally that was 100% effective.

I got my CY standard seeds late 2015/early 2016 and have been growing them almost non stop since then. I'm a home breeder growing in Vegan Living Soil, and using gentle methods and doing everything in opposition to patriarchal paradigms like 'bigger, faster, stronger'.

The plants in the pictures are in 7 gallon no-til pots that are about 4 years old, minimal inputs and zero feeding schedule (vegan living soil so the plant takes care of the feeding).

I've 5 different lines using the CY, the ones in the pictures are from a rejected line of Guatemalan F2 x China Yunnan F2. The CY female parent was great, but not as amazing as her sisters which is why I rejected the line. These 3 plants that are about 110 days in flower and not on a 12/12 light schedule.

The bigger colas are on the plant that is almost totally CY 90%, and the scent is unmistakably CY and has lot's of the woody/spicy/incense and an underlying sweetness. The other 2 plants are still dominant with CY, but the Guat' is showing more in scent and some of the way the calyxes are spiking out.

The chunkiness of the CY, is noticeable LOL

I'm not bragging in anyway, because I loathe the idea of growing or breeding specifically towards yield, because I'm growing medicine and not trying to win 'the biggest pumpkin' competition at the State Fair.

Again, thank you Dubi and everyone on the crew there who make such amazing strains available. Hope it's fine posting these pictures on the thread.

Attachments

• IMG_2666.jpg
    IMG_2666.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_2667.jpg
    IMG_2667.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_2669.jpg
    IMG_2669.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 162

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Welcome MoorlandMoss :)

Thanks for joining ICMag to share your experience with our genetics, much appreciated :yes:
Happy to hear you have been enjoying with the finished product and medicinal qualities of the strains you have tried from us,
Nepal Jam and China Yunnan can be indeed very useful for medical use. Glad they work well for you.

Excellent results with your sativa/China Yunnan breeding, yield and flowering structure reminds a lot the more sativa and heavy yielding Orient Express phenos.

Slim Pickens

Veteran
Thanks dubi.I can understand that there isn't a terpene profile as the CY isn't in production anymore.

Thanks for the information shared.

Slim

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi,

We are about to start a new pure China Yunnan regular reproduction, if everything goes well next year there will be seed available, and chances to make analyses to more plants.

TP-grower

Hi Dubi,
THX for the great work you ve done!(=ACE Malawi is 12/10P+stellar ;-)

please can you tell me when the reproduktion of the REG China Yunnan is finished?
greets Terry Preta

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi TP-grower,

Pure China Yunnan regular repro has been delayed and will start soon.
Hopefully i can provide some good news about it in a few months.

Thanks for your interest!