What's new

Chinese yunnan indica

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hokkaido??? Dubi, wow brother! I look forward to a release of these genetics. Any chance to try them next season? Peace

Off topic but worth to comment: we have reproduced successfully the Hokkaido Japan.

We open pollinated the few original seeds that germinated, we had to pollinate all the plants in this first round with this new landrace because the males were flowering even in the mother room.

It's a very stable line, not sure yet whether the strain is really psychoactive or not, although some plants have produced interesting terpenes and resins. We will try make a sinsemilla cycle with the clones of the P1 females to hopefully evaluate them better and bring samples to the lab too.

Will keep you all updated, if we find interesting psychoactive traits in the line i will make a thread about it.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
A bunch of Yunan pictures, P5 from the regular P3 offered a few years ago:

N°1, @54 days 12/12:
View Image

N°2 @ 60 days:
View Image
View Image
View Image

N°3, the most sativa-ish @ 60 days:
View Image

Exciting Pepe! :) What a joy to see your post!

So happy to see you keep alive the China Yunnan line in pure form and refining her following your goals and the plants you are finding on the way. Thanks a lot :huggg:

How was the selection process through the P4 and P5 generations ?
What have you found that you like most ? and what you avoided and dislike ?

The female #1 looks like the sweet and sour creamy indica pheno.

Number 2 has purple colors from the purple hashplant pheno, but in this female with a bit of sativa influence.

Number 3 is obviously the high yielding sativa pheno, these sativa phenos (i always have had the feeling) have potential for CBD production.

I will certainly will work to bring back pure China Yunnan at some point, but now i want to focus in reproducing other landrace seed lines that we haven't explored yet and that they are getting too old.

brickweeder

Hello All, I am glad I found this thread...I recently finished a small run of 4 ace plants: 1 CY, 1 OE, and 2 PCKs.

The CY (1st of 3 fem seeds) was my favorite during the grow, as its buds were quite chunky and sticky, and it had a lot of vigor. I wasn't expecting it, but some purples came out in the last 3 weeks...very cool and prehistoric looking plant. The smell was strange...kind of sweet, but it had a slight hint of something rotting, but not unpleasant rotting. That smell dissipated after chop, and the curing flowers now have a sweet intoxicating MJ smell, with a touch of cheese.

Unfortunately, that one CY threw a banana from a main stalk at week 4 that I picked off, and none appeared on the mains afterwards. However, during trimming, I found a few open and very well hidden bananas on several inner and lower buds that ended up very lightly pollinating herself and the OE and PCKs. Luis at ACE said that CY has some herm tendencies and they won't be releasing CY again until they can work that herm tendency out. The 2nd CY is in veg right now, and am hoping this one doesn't herm.

I really liked the first CY structure and buds, and have saved the seeds (CY-CY, CY-OE, and CY-PCK). I did not have any herm issues with OE, and since OE is 0.5CY, I am wondering if outcrossing a CY will result in a hybrid that has less of a herm tendency, so any insight into this would be appreciated. BTW, the OE was a nice sat pheno, and it smells and smokes like a dream.

In any case, I am going to get through CY number 2 then 3, and will try to self each one. I am hoping that ACE reworks the CY to reduce the herm tendencies further, and releases standard packs at some point in the not too distant future, so that I can produce CY the traditional way rather than via reversals. But until then, i'll try my hand at colloidal silver, then start crossing the CYs that I do have and can hopefully grow some low-herm CY seeds for later experimentation.

As an ending note, CY is curing quite nicely and smells and smokes great (light consumption is relaxing yet it has a creative touch with clarity, and no couchlock).

brickweeder

Here is my 2nd CY, 2 weeks from 12/12. Hoping it doesn't herm, will try selfing if I can reverse a clone.
picture.php

Emperortaima

Namekian resident/farmer
Hi farmerlion,

The Hokkaido Japan is still under R+D stage, we will let you know in case the line is interesting for psychoactive properties and we are successful with its reproduction.

Thanks for your interest :)

You acquired some Japanese heirlooms!!!! Wow!!!! I'm very envious and hope to get some one day thanks for your contributions Dubi! :Tiphat:

PurpleBuz

china yunnan ?

china yunnan ?

I will certainly will work to bring back pure China Yunnan at some point, but now i want to focus in reproducing other landrace seed lines that we haven't explored yet and that they are getting too old.

hoping you will do a refresh of pure china yunnan someday … I'm working with kali china right now, love to have some pure stock to backcross to.

Vinculus

Hey all, my first post to icmag forums. Currently growing a China Yunnan from 2015 feminized run, so just thought I'd share some pictures of her.

Sounds like I might have the same pheno as brickweeder. Flowers fast and furiously, smells sweet, kinda like old cabbage (but in a good way). Pictures taken at week 5 since preflowers appeared, vegged for six weeks prior to that. Topped once. Grown under HLG135 V2 3K + 2X100W 4K led boards in soil w/perlite using Canna Terra + Vega and BioBizz TopMax. 80X80X160cm tent.

This is just my third grow, so still a lot to learn. China Yunnan is growing alongside two Ice Creams and a Royal Cookies, seen in the last picture. Since the first yunnan seed didn't germinate, I had to pop another and it vegged one week shorter than her sisters due that. The gsc is still a smaller plant despite having vegged for a week longer, so yunnan definitely is a vigorous grower.

Can't wait to smoke her, definitely the plant I'm most excited about this grow!

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Welcome Vinculus :)

Glad you managed to get a pure China Yunnan fem pack from our latest release of the strain and that you are excited with her development. Yours looks like the classic sweet and sour creamy chinese indica pheno. Best wishes for the rest of the flowering.

brickweeder

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]vinculus, nice work. yunnan really denses up in the latter half, and I do like like the way she smokes. Again, nice work.
[/FONT]

Vinculus

Thanks dubi and brickweeder! This has certainly been an awesome grow so far, the Yunnan is a very ancient looking and acting plant somehow. Super cool.

And actually now at week 7.5 (8.5 since 12/12) she's close to done! I thought for sure this would be a 9 weeker from the start, but I inspected the trichomes for the first time yesterday and found that I had a few ambers and lots of cloudy already :)

Will hopefully pack on just a final bit of weight before I chop her. Fingers crossed!

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

Vinculus

Alright guys, chopped my China Yunnan down a few days ago, after 9 weeks on the dot of flowering. Here are a few pictures of the last look at her before the chop, as well as a couple of buds that went into the jar today.

The rotting cabbage smell has all but dissipated now, and instead it's a very distinctly sweet but citrusy aroma coming off it. Fascinating.

P.S. I'll soon be posting some pictures of a China Yunnan a buddy of mine is currently growing, which is a very sativa pheno!

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

brickweeder

The rotting cabbage smell has all but dissipated now, and instead it's a very distinctly sweet but citrusy aroma coming off it...
Nice. My current cured stash smelled like rotten something during flowering too, now has a bit of a dank smell, but a nice earthy flavor. Was chunky like yours. Looking forward to the smoke report.

Vinculus

Nice. My current cured stash smelled like rotten something during flowering too, now has a bit of a dank smell, but a nice earthy flavor. Was chunky like yours. Looking forward to the smoke report.

This is a very interesting strain to grow indeed. Shows different and changing characteristics throughout its lifetime.

I'm curious, how did yours respond to nutrients towards the end? Mine here was very clear on when it didn't want anymore and got nute burn at 1ml/l grow + bloom around three weeks before I chopped it. Never had a plant be that adamant about when its life was over and it wanted to die on its own terms before, haha.

brickweeder

It was a voracious feeder all its life except for the last 2 weeks, when water and nute uptake scaled back noticeably. In soil, it hit nute defs 2 weeks after flip and I never got it corrected until harvest despite teas and top feeds, so nute burn wasn't an issue.

In hempys, the S1 needed higher ppms than other strains like panama and destroyer or it quickly started lightening up on the lowers. I started tapering back on the nutes ~2-3 weeks before harvest, and gave it only tap the last 2 feedings, so I didn't notice or get any burn the last couple of weeks, but its uptake definitely slows. The cool thing about this strain is that it handles heat like a champion, and I even had several days where they were full on praying when temps hit over 41C in the tent, so it and its hybrids will comprise my summer runs from now on.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Congrats Vinculus on your China Yunnan harvest :) Love the colors at harvest time.
Please, let us know your opinion about her after curing process.

Good luck with yours also brickweeder ;)

brickweeder

CY at Chop below (end of Week 9).

At week 6, buds on pure CY were very chunky. I really like the way she flowers. Right after switch to 11.5/13.5 from 12/12 at week 6, she began a second wind of flowering with a slight bit of foxtailing. I pollinated one lower with pollen from a male (CY x OE - sativa pheno), so the next gen will be ~88% CY, ~12 VB. But the important thing is the next gen will be regulars, so I'll be moving towards a more pure CY hybrid and be able to assess males rather than working with just fems.

3 of 4 CYOE were mongrel hybrids. Two had weak floppy growing shoots that gave up apical dominance easily, so they were naturally low viney bushes. One had an indica structure, but was short and had sativa-leaning leaves. The one CYOE that had a CY Indica structure was vigorous, but its bud dev was not nearly as chunky as pure CY, and it didn't fill out the stalks as much as OE. I was growing in hempys and had root rot, so it wasn't a fair grow...gonna trash hempy buckets and move to DTW, had too much root rot issues on my last 3 hempy runs.
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Premium user
Mentor
Veteran
420club
I.know I only have one seed left of the China Yunnan.
Until dubi offers more. It is guarded under lock and key. Kinda, sorta, not really ��.
My precious!!!

brickweeder

I.know I only have one seed left of the China Yunnan.
Until dubi offers more. It is guarded under lock and key. Kinda, sorta, not really ��.
My precious!!!
Its funny, when you only have a few, they have immense personal value, but when you have a load, you're less protective. I did a full seed run of GT regs, and probably have ~2k seeds (wont be doing that again). I plan on a femmed seed run of CY in about a year after I get through some other genetics, and may do some air drops down the road.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi brickweeder,

Glad to hear you are still growing the pure China Yunnan from our latest fem release and enjoying with the outcome :)

You are right, the China Yunnan hashplant indica pheno flowers really fast and by the 6th week of flowering it has already produced most of the weight. But of course, if you let her go up to the 8th week the resin content, effects and terpenes are much better.

I also tried the China Yunnan hashplant indica x Orient Express route but didn't like the outcome, it didn't improve over pure China Yunnan or straight Orient Express.

Don't worry, sooner or later we will bring back pure China Yunnan back in regular and fem format,
just didn't find it was a priority after releasing the inbred Kali China, and we need resources to preserve landraces not explored yet.

Latest posts

Latest posts