What's new

CFL Club!

cfl...KING

Listen my username is from 07 lol
Veteran
sorry for the miss understanding, i didnt mean 100w CFLs i meant a total of 100 real watts of CFL. so four 25watters or three 30-32 watters but really anything in total under 100 real watts is a waste.

DrBudGreengenes

Veteran
Mr Bubbles said:
cfl king, how do i wire my cfl lights. Say i want to wire them up like Dr. BudGreen's. I buy cleats for lightsocket and den i dont know what to do after that. Where do i buy those wires that will connect each light. How do i make the two prong connection at the end. Help!!! i seem to be struggling with my lighting.

Just go to yur' local "Dollar store".....buy yourself a 12 foot ext.cord.
Cut the plug part of the end and start wiring.....
W/cleats make sure the same color screw is on the bottom on each one as you screw them to yur box/cab.
there is a smooth and a ribbed wire on the ext cord...make sure the smooth goes on top and ribbed wired to the bottom screw...repeat as needed til all cleats are wired together...up to 15 ...42's per ext cord :smoke:

green_grow

Veteran
mr. bubbles ... light cleats are intended for use way up in the rafters of hockey arenas and barns. the connections are exposed, thus making them unsafe for a grow room/cabinet. why not use a standard household light socket ? safe and only slightly more difficult to wire than a light cleat . a trip down the electrical aisle at home depot may provide you with other ideas as well, but i would definitely avoid the light cleats.

p.s. ... don't use an incandescent bulb. :bashhead:

Dr. BudGreen, Thanks for the instructiions i can now go wire theses babies up.

Green Grow, good lookin' ill take a trip down the lighting/electrical aisle n look for these household light sockets if i can find ne. So far i only been able to locate these lights cleats.

CFL King, u say wat u have learned is that ne thing below 100 real watts is a waste of time. So say:

4 x 23W CFLs = 92W @ 111 watts per sq. foot & 53 Lumens per sq. in.
is dat good enuff? or even possiblly 3 x 30W CFLS = 90W @ 94 watts per sq. foot @ 50 Lumens per sq. in., i was orginally planning on using 3x23W (87 watts per sq. foot & 40 lumens per sq. in.) or 3x26W (78 watts per sq. foot & 42 lumens per sq. in.)

or would i need 4 x 26W CFLs @ 104 Watts = 125 watts per sq. foot @ 56 Lumens per sq. in.

is there a difference in 4x26w or 4x23watters? whats the better option in terms of yeilding a zip w/ co2.

sq feet = .831
lights will be hung verticall staight down or angled pointing down in DWC wit SCROG 4 x 3" netcup.

Last edited:

cfl...KING

Veteran
refletors are best, i added a moveable reflector an add a half oz to my total yeild with the same gurls. ill try to find a link to where i got my design from, there fairly simple.

cfl...KING

Veteran
cfl...KING said:
KING's Guide To CFL's

veg-5000k-6500k full spectrum (6,000-8,000 lumens per sq ft)
flower-2700k-3000k warm white (8,000-10,000 lumens per sq ft)
Remember with CFLs wattage doesnt matter LUMENs are key. To find the sq ft of your grow op measure the lenght an width of your grow space an multiply them(make sure u measure your space in feet). More is BETTER!!!

use this as a guide

cfl...KING

Veteran
the reason i say under 100w is a waste is because if someone has under a sq ft grow say 6"x6" that comes to .25 sq ft so they would need 1500-2000lumens for veg an 2000-2500 lumens but that really isnt enough to get good results an would penitrate to get to the lower buds, but 100w is about 6,500 lumens so anythin under a sq ft i would say 100w min with upwards of a half oz yeild depending on strain an grow abilities someone with more experience could get an oz or more from a under 1 sq ft grow with 100-150w (6,500-10,000 lumens

ninjashoes

for me lst or scrog is a must

the idea is to get as much plant mass into the 1-3 inch distance from your clf's which imo should be lengthwise instead of straight down

it looks like alot of guys have gotten great results with no lst/scrog and straight down bulbs but the less watts you actually have the more important it is to maximize the juice you get from your lights which of course is just common sense

a very wide reflector is probably a good idea although I am not sure how effective reflectors are for CFL's, you can defenetly see the light reflecting off your reflector so I would guess they must help enough to be worth constructing

Last edited:
Well orginally, i was planning on mounting my lights horizontally but after reading lous thread he put his lights in a tripod shape angled downwards. With this u could use both sides of the bulbs, get closer to the buds and creating more denser nugs. So after reading this i thought it made sense because you are using both sides of the bulbs, hence utilizing it more. So then i was going to use a scrog and on top of the screen of green i would lst the cannopy to grow around the bulbs. However, my first plan was to mount my bulbs horizontally leaving 5.25 inch between the top of the screen and the bottom of my bulbs. Having 3.25" of stem growth. After reading DJ Short's book on cultivating cannbis he said that with fluorescents:

"The problem with fluorescent systems is that the intensity of light diminishes exponentially with distance from the bulb. Within one to five inches from the bulb, the concentration of light is strong enough to produce sufficient growth. But beyond five inches, the intensity of the light drops off sharply. A successful fluorescent system ends up creating a canopy approximately four to six inches thick, which spreads out and up to consume as much of the potent light as possible while shading out most undergrowth. The experienced fluorescent farmer knows how to prune away the unwanted undergrowth to optimize production and stimulate the growth of the canopy. This canopy is cable of providing fully mature finished product, but the buds are more often than not airy and lightweight-usually rather wispy. I have seen fluorescent systems used to complete maturation with good quality results. However, quantity lacked considerably. It needs to be noted that fluorescent systems are perfectly capable of producing small quantities of high quality product. Production may be somewhat increased by setting up more fluorescent systems along the sides, as well as the top of the garden. Therefore, these systems may be perfect for the person who doesn’t need too much finished product but would like to make their own medicine using simple low-cost system."

so what do u guys think horizontally or vertically (or angled) downwards?

CFL King, "but 100w is about 6,500 lumens so anythin under a sq ft i would say 100w min with upwards of a half oz yeild depending on strain an grow abilities someone with more experience could get an oz or more from a under 1 sq ft grow with 100-150w (6,500-10,000 lumens"

wat do u mean by dat quote? r u saying with a minimum of 100watts i could yeild up to a halfzip and higher (depending on grow abilities & exp)?

so say my pc grow is 16.5"(L) x 7.25"(W) x 16.25"(H) = .831 sq. feet
i only have access locally to 23W (1600 Lumens), 26W (1700 Lumens), 30W (2000 Lumens), & 42W (2600 Lumens). How many lights should i put n wat wattages for an effective result of what i want to yeild (a zip).

also i would really like to have dat link for the reflector, reason why i was leaning on going vertically is bcuz i didnt know how to make a reflector with CFLs, i think all the DIY guides are for HPS systems.

Last edited:

mosfetti

I'm in.
Running an Envirolite 125w 2600k approx 10000/12000 lumens in a pc case 45x40x19 (cm). About 1.46x1.30x0.62 (feet)

was wondering how much would be an average weight x watt with a sort of SOG in that space..

cfl...KING

Veteran
growing isnt just the right lights its how good you are at growing, the more experince you are at growing the more likely you are at noticing deficences before they take effect an just taking care of your plants. growings 25%(lights, nutes, temps, ec.) 75% growing abilities. not exect %

cfl...KING

Veteran
heres some pics of my CFL fixture its 30"long 9" tall an 18" wide if i remember correctly i just sold my CFL setup today for $350 i paid about that plus building time. im moving to a 400w HPS arwoir, but dont worry im building a small cab bout half the size of my old one for one mother an clones

cfl...KING

Veteran
yup 1/4in or 5/16in i can remember with a 1x5 on the top that the light fixtures are mounted too.

those lights are mounted to household sockets and u have a y-connector at the end. Do u know what dat y-adapator thing is called? how much? and where do i find it besides ebay? also do u happen to know the wattage of those bulbs. I tryna figure out if this kind of hood/reflector will work for my pccase.

cfl king, will this work for my lighting
link 1

or

link 2

or

link 3

also in making dat kind of design should i line the inside up with an alm. sheet of metal and paint it flat white? or will the flywhite on the wood be fine?

Last edited:

cfl...KING

Veteran
i really cant see using those light fixtures for growing. the y things are called Y light socket adapters or something like that i got he ones in the pics from walmart for a buck each. those are 55watters that i bought from 1000bulbs.com. flat white paint over the wood is wat i did

thanks CFL King, i got two more questions for you.

#1 can i plug one 23w and one 26w on one y-adaptor?
#2 where can i find dat 55watter besides online?

Last edited:

cfl...KING

Veteran
1.) its been done before without problems but i dont like mixing wattages unless its 2 23w on one Y an 2 26w o another Y

2.) ive only been able to find over 42watters online, i dont have a hydro shop near me but if you d they would have 105w an 150w an maybe 200watters