What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

CFL Club!

MicroRoy

CFL are great for smaller grows. But for a grow that size you need something that will penatrate deeper.

You need about 50 actual watts per square foot.

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
CFL are great for smaller grows. But for a grow that size you need something that will penatrate deeper.

You need about 50 actual watts per square foot.

Not entirely true

By itself, wattage is meaningless. The number cannabis growers want to know is what is the umoles/m^

One of the benefits of hot5s is that they can be kept within a few inches of the canopy, and, do fine penetrating into 3ft of canopy as long as the major shade leafs are removed, and when the branches are spread apart

The biggest problem with cfls is bulb replacement cost is quite high, relative to purchasing quality white leds, which will last a minimum of 5 times longer at ~90%. Do not confuse life expectancy with chinese junk burple panels

FYI: 2700 full on is not as great an idea as it sounds

Also 18 hours veg is 4 hours more than sats need, and 6 hours longer than indicas need

Check out my many threads to learn more

Currently using ~ 216w fl, 230w of led and 220w of led in the third tent

Real good news for 4ft tube growers is Transcend Lighting has introduced direct replacement 30w led tubes (though again the watts aren't as important as umoles/m^

Drop by my current thread to see all 3 in action

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
My hot5 has 2 ZooMed Florosuns + 2 Quantum 6500s + 2 Transcend Lighting flowering LED tubes

4 unique plants: the one in the back is beach ball size Silver Skunk BBCC; the 2 younger plants in the middle are mystery seeds from Holland, the one in the front is also Silver Skunk, but the sat expression

View attachment 339807

DoubleTripleOG

Chemdog & Kush Lover Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor

Also 18 hours veg is 4 hours more than sats need, and 6 hours longer than indicas need

So your saying that sativa's only need 14 hours of light in veg? And indica's only need 12 hours of light in veg?

Can you explain this? Split light schedule? Last I checked, almost any photoperiod cannabis plant given 12 hours of continuous light, would be given 12 hours of continuous dark(in a 24 hr. day) and result in flowering.

For the 12 hours you described for indica's, do you do a 4 on/ 4 off, cycle?

Ca++

They are banning them in the UK, which I think is inline with the EU. They have a few months left.

15 years ago, new build houses were getting the PL style, with the driver in the pendant. That seemed the most eco lamp of the time, as just the glass bit got changed. Though you couldn't dim them, which is a bit defeatist. Now we are back to the pendants that carry the old B22 (E27 in other countries) which support the use of an LED 'bulb' where once an incandescent would of been.

The idea of people growing with them today is a bit crazy. They will keep making them huge ones as long as people keep buying them though. Like with the incandescent, you will still be able to buy the banned lamp, if it's sold as a 'special purpose' lamp.

We can do so much better now. Page one of this thread, we have a 50w per foot (size 10?) recommendation being handed out. That's 530w a meter. When LED can probably do as well using half that power. Which would be a poor show, but a fair comparison.

Latest posts

Latest posts