What's new

CANNABIS DNA PROJECT

Dows

So, now with samples from Latin American, African, South and Southeast Asian varieties in the database, what is this saying about the history of cannabis in Latin America and Africa? The galaxy is clearly showing a close relationship between the gene pool of these regions, with Mexico, Nicaragua, and Jamaica being in a not-too-distant location from samples with origins in Angola, Tanzania, Ethiopia, India, and Thailand.

It makes me wonder when cannabis first entered SSA, and whether the gene pool around Latin America is more based in plants brought from Asia or Africa. Also, does the relationship between varieties in such distant countries in Africa and South/Southeast Asia represent a phenomenon related to the natural range of cannabis, or does it hint towards ancient trade/contact between the regions? There is also a Brazilian that is more related to the hemp from Europe.

This is all dependent on the accuracy of the labeling of the samples of course.

Cannabologist

Veteran
Cannabologist, long post, thanks for the reply. You should note that 95% of what you wrote had nothing to do with what I asked and the question was not directed to you.

Let me be very clear: this isn't about patenting whatsoever. Not at all. This is about cataloging and reproducing synthases in new forms--which is the real gold mine and reason for Phylos' value as a company (I rarely believe the advertising copy that leaps from a business owner's mouth about their raison d'être).

If you need to ask "why would you ever want to do that?", you should read up on international drug laws and literature on the relative efficiency of chemical production between biological organisms and lab synthesis.

Looking to hear from Sam, por favor.
100 % of what I wrote had everything to do with what you asked! It's an open forum, no one cares if it was directed at you - you could have PMed the questions. The point is, your concerns are nonsense :huggg:
They do not hold any water. They are musings

Stop trying to be combative and trollish and just realize that - what you are construing, ie. some nefarious thing, that the science is doing, is a nonsense idea.

"This is about cataloging and reproducing synthases in new forms"

OK... HOW??? There are ALREADY catalogues of terpene synthase genes from many many many many plants (including cannabis), that are public knowledge... These are all in public gene banks..

I don't know what you mean by "reproducing synthases in new forms"... You mean, in a plant? LoL do you even know how they would have to go about doing that? How are they doing to reproduce new terpenes?

You know drug synthesis is done every day??... I just lol.. I can't even..

Really though,
Where is the product here????

What is the goal, how are they going to make money?? Who are they going to sell this vapor ware product to, that you cannot even define what the product is???

They are already making money off their products, selling a good service doing genetic testing... Where is this nefarious product coming from? What is this PEP???
Is it limitless pills??? I love limitless pills.

WAIT!? Do they have unlimited pills meow?? Is that what they are trying to make? Because I was eating all these limitless pills and I just had no limits. I need to get unlimited!

You know you can get EVERY flavor and more under the rainbow as an essential oil from, like, walmart right??? I can go buy almond and watermelon extract. LOL hell I can buy terpinoline (online). What is your point??
They are trying to make NEW terpinoline?? Are they going to be spiking dabs with it like they do other terpenes? I donno I'm sure its ok to do as a biologist but I'm also at heart a purist, I don't want to have to add something in unless it really is better and necessary, and of course efficacious.

WHY are you trying to construe some nefarious, paranoid thing here? It's just kinda silly you know :huggg:

You don't seem to realize that universities, companies, etc., etc, are constantly doing drug synthesis, and creating new isoforms of compounds that already exist, and testing what they do. They yes isolate compounds found in nature and as well synthesize new ones and yep we are always testing to see what they do, because you know some day we'll find that drug that does all those things we want to do.... You seem to have this paranoid conspiracy oriented mind about how things work and why humans have been isolating and researching molecules since forever :tiphat:

Cannabologist

Veteran
So, now with samples from Latin American, African, South and Southeast Asian varieties in the database, what is this saying about the history of cannabis in Latin America and Africa? The galaxy is clearly showing a close relationship between the gene pool of these regions, with Mexico, Nicaragua, and Jamaica being in a not-too-distant location from samples with origins in Angola, Tanzania, Ethiopia, India, and Thailand.

It makes me wonder when cannabis first entered SSA, and whether the gene pool around Latin America is more based in plants brought from Asia or Africa. Also, does the relationship between varieties in such distant countries in Africa and South/Southeast Asia represent a phenomenon related to the natural range of cannabis, or does it hint towards ancient trade/contact between the regions? There is also a Brazilian that is more related to the hemp from Europe.

This is all dependent on the accuracy of the labeling of the samples of course.

There has been tons of trade and travel from the early days of Columbus, European hemp was in Brazil as early as the 1500s. That's 500 or so years ago! That's a long time lol!

My research points to an India - Jamaica connection for drug cannabis in regards to what you are referring to, but thats later on in the 1800s, moving over to Latin America /Mexico, along with "traditional" varieties that landed in the late 1400s and 1500s in South America moving up through Colombia to the gulf region of Mexico to America. What you said all makes very very good sense!!!

A good note of point is that by the late 14, 15, and 1600s due to sailing and colonization and trade, cannabis spreads from the Americas back and forth from Africa, India/south Asia, and there had to inevitably be hybridization events there, which is what you are likely seeing come up!

Limeygreen

Veteran
I had read before that speculations of Angolan and gold coast people were brought as slaves to places like Brazil and that they were allowed smoke breaks of herb as it made them more productive and then the slave owners allowed them to cultivate it as means for a supply and this is rumoured to be where some of the Brazilian strains come from.

Dows

Does anyone know if Phylos would ever publish detailed info about Y-chromosomal DNA? Like humans, it could help a lot more with understanding what went where and when it likely happened.

There has been tons of trade and travel from the early days of Columbus, European hemp was in Brazil as early as the 1500s. That's 500 or so years ago! That's a long time lol!

My research points to an India - Jamaica connection for drug cannabis in regards to what you are referring to, but thats later on in the 1800s, moving over to Latin America /Mexico, along with "traditional" varieties that landed in the late 1400s and 1500s in South America moving up through Colombia to the gulf region of Mexico to America. What you said all makes very very good sense!!!

A good note of point is that by the late 14, 15, and 1600s due to sailing and colonization and trade, cannabis spreads from the Americas back and forth from Africa, India/south Asia, and there had to inevitably be hybridization events there, which is what you are likely seeing come up!

This makes sense. Such fascinating history.

The Decentralization of Cannabis Genomics

The Decentralization of Cannabis Genomics

Now we are talking.

http://www.medicinalgenomics.com/the-decentralization-of-cannabis-genomics/

Until 2017, DNA sequencing cannabis strains has been a task only accessible to the well banked. The cost of DNA sequencers were $100,000 – $1,000,000 and the ancillary equipment required to prepare samples for such a task would add another $50,000 to the infrastructure costs. While many labs would accept DNA sequencing for a service, they would NOT accept cannabis samples in their doors.

This left scientists with clandestine DNA isolation options that could be hacked in hotel rooms however most companies that sell these traditional biotech kits and tools would not ship their kits to a residential address. This is part of the story of the first cannabis genome sequenced in 2011 (Chemdawg) in the Dylan Hotel in Amsterdam.

2017 is here and Oxford Nanopore Technologies is prepared to disrupt the field with USB stick sequencers that are under $1000. These sequencers produce very long reads (over 10Kb) but are only 90% accurate. This will create a point of grow genomics market and this community page is a resource to this end.

This page is dedicated to Sequence data derived from an ONT MinION data. Please join our email group and facebook page for more collaboration on this project. We are experimenting with assembling this data with Canu and Spades but encourage others to join the Cannabis Nanopore Swarm and help make a better public reference. Feel free to download the data below. Any derivative works we ask to remain open source under creative commons share alike.

earthwyrms

theoretically, if we had a genome(s) of a pure landrace(s), it(they) could be inserted into a host seed cell and cloned/cellcultured to bring it back if it was lost?

bombadil.360

Andinismo Hierbatero
Veteran
theoretically, if we had a genome(s) of a pure landrace(s), it(they) could be inserted into a host seed cell and cloned/cellcultured to bring it back if it was lost?

Sounds more like science fiction than actual science though.

So you have a sequenced genome, that's digital information, how exactly are you gonna insert it into a biological seed host?

Maybe reality is binary afterall? hahaha...

earthwyrms

Sounds more like science fiction than actual science though.

So you have a sequenced genome, that's digital information, how exactly are you gonna insert it into a biological seed host?

Maybe reality is binary afterall? hahaha...

if it doesn't exist now, it will, printing a genome or writing one from scratch. as long as the data is saved, the strain, say a pure jamaican (different members), is/are saved as long as the data survives. some present or near present tech will be able to plant it in a cell or something and cell culture it (which makes me wonder about people saying you can't tell the sex of a seed. isn't it an embryo, or are plants real funky).

i was thinking it was funny as i wrote it, because i started thinking of jurassic park.

Dakine

Veteran
Hey Sam, I kinda needed help with the galaxy map.

So when I click on ChemD for example, it gives me 1 line that goes straight to "Lands End" . Then I clicked on Lands End, and it connected to ChemDog. But when I clicked on Chemdog, A bunch of lines shot out to many different strains. But A line went straight to ChemD and A different line straight to Lands End..Shouldnt it have made A line Starting with ChemDog, going to Lands End, and then ChemD?

Is the Map basically just telling me what other strains or crosses have the same crosses in them, and thats it? Sorry, I did read the whole thread just now. I dont think I missed the answer, but sorry if I did.

Any progress made besides recording more entries? I think this is pretty awesome. Hopefully upgrades will be made to using the Map/Galaxy when alot more progress has been made as well..

Dak

Hrpuffnkush

Golden Coast
Veteran
I think it may have been a mistake i took part in this ......... 14 months later and no info on my submissions ....

And the galaxy also just a big jumble of unverified strains that locks up your comp trying to even open it to make any sense of it .... hum .....

99%

Originally Posted by Hrpuffnkush View Post
And the galaxy also just a big jumble of unverified strains that locks up your comp trying to even open it to make any sense of it ....

So true, total waste of resources without the proper advice and guidelines.

I agree, I was hoping for much more much sooner, but think I and y'all should be patient..I'm sure they are doing their best and eventually it's going to be set up so it's informative and accessible..

I'm just guessing here, but maybe they have bills to pay and business to make happen first? Maybe they are holding back due to commercial reasons? which could be a patent, a book, a partnership, a paper, a new business, a different website etc which all takes time.
Maybe the tech geek who set it up left the company and they are now trying to get a new tech guru? Who knows but.I'm sure this will be published in a readily researchable form in (their) good time.

Hrpuffnkush

Golden Coast
Veteran

Originally Posted by Hrpuffnkush View Post
And the galaxy is giving the hamster in my computer a heart attack .... info overload lol

So true, total waste of resources without the proper advice and guidelines.

I agree, I was hoping for much more much sooner, but think I and y'all should be patient..I'm sure they are doing their best and eventually it's going to be set up so it's informative and accessible..

I'm just guessing here, but maybe they have bills to pay and business to make happen first? Maybe they are holding back due to commercial reasons? which could be a patent, a book, a partnership, a paper, a new business, a different website etc which all takes time.
Maybe the tech geek who set it up left the company and they are now trying to get a new tech guru? Who knows but.I'm sure this will be published in a readily researchable form in (their) good time.

Id say a waiting a 1 year and 2 months is be patient....
Now it appears it was just a shill to sell 295.00 genome tests ,, ...... A full terepene profile test for 80.00 is better than a dna test in my book , each terepene profile is unique to each strain seed or cutting ..... ie its own unique finger print and can show the relashonships between strains that are related ... or same strains renamed ... plus you get to see the terps in your strain... and its much easyer to read a terepene profile ..... you dont need a super computer and 295. To try to make sense .....

Sam you pushed prop64 wich was completely wrong of you ... now this yikes buddy .... seems like your on a roll ... :biggrin:

Last edited:

baduy

I fail to see how a terpene profile could be more useful to esplore genetics than a DNA test.
what disappoints me most in those reports are
The enormous amount of recent related polihybrids which seems useless to me. Seems to make as much sense as doing a genetic map of Native Americans by random testings of citizens of NYC.
The insufficient amount of landraces and the lack of info on the strains tested (date of collection and localisation)
The choice of using OG Kush and Skunk as markers, or at least to deliver this without a minimal explanation, or maybe I didn't find it.
Still keeping an eye on it from time to time though just in case

Genghis Kush

not getting results sucks.

I do plan on sending in some personally collected landrace leaves to be tested though.

If I get the results than I will be super stoked and it wont cost me anything.

I find the spatial mapping in the galaxy extremely interesting and informative.
are people having a problem understanding that part?

all good things in all good time

Morphote

Veteran
Spoke with a respected breeder who said he thought this "project" sounded questionable at best. Hope he is wrong, but suspect he is not.

M.

djonkoman

Veteran
yes, I first read about this project recently. sounds interesting, but so far I don't find that galaxy usefull at all. the few strains I searched/clicked didn't have any connections(landraces), except if there was a duplicate with the same name.

and I doubt it will ever be usefull if that's the only available info, some lines between different colorted dots. I'd rather just have raw dna-data, a genetic marker map would be even better. although not really usefull to me personally, I don't have equipment at home to be able to test for and use those markers, and I would probably have to make my own map anyway since my population may have no polymorhpism for a lot of the markers, but still it would be interesting and a nice starting point for other people wanting to construct a linkage map.