What's new

CANNABIS DNA PROJECT

99%

I found that Galaxy thing hard to read.

And it didn't as far as I could see tell me where the modern strains originated from.

I want to know the ancestors of Skunk, is it really Afghan and Mexican and Colombian, or is that all bullshit, but it never told me the ancestors of Skunk.

I think their problem is they tested all these modern American strains but didn't do their foundations first and log the DNA of all the landraces.

I'm not interested in what modern American strain is a cousin of what other American strain, I want to know their pre-historic ancestors.

good post....I too wonder why they DNA tested thousands of recent poly hybrids that were made in the past 15 years instead concentrating on the older samples. But I guess time will tell, maybe this time next year you will be able to observe samples from paarticular time period, for example, pre-2000 years ago or 1960 ~ 1965 etc etc. I have no idea, but as a wild guess,, maybe they (the Galaxy) are holding back on some findings for commercial reasons, lack of funds, lack of manpower....maybe this type of testing and research just takes time to do it right?

Last edited:

99%

On Hash Church he did mention testing residues inside old medicine bottles pre-1930's from the US that contained Cannabis and had to develop ways to do this..he also said many of the old medicine bottles had information were written of the labels so they knew the date and the type of cannabis and where it was grown.......... anyway, the info will come out eventually and that's a good thing.

Sam ..... has there been enough published results to positively know where cannabis originated from yet?
What has been discovered from sequencing the 2500 year old seed sample you have?

Last edited:

frostqueen

I have trouble navigating the galaxy. Great information but not in a form I can easily digest. Is there a way to read it in a less abstract format? Just a simple old fashioned family tree would be much easier.

I've mentioned this elsewhere, but a really good way to reduce the current crowding and clutter in the galaxy would be to just have everything unrelated disappear when you click on any given data point, except it and its relatives. Then you could actually look at familial relationships from various angles without feeling like you are peering through a tangle of christmas lights. It doesn't seem like this would be very hard to fix.

I gave this feedback to them many months ago, but... these folks are very busy and this is a massive undertaking for them.

This will be a constantly evolving project. It will take years. I think it's amazing and groundbreaking. Looking forward to more landrace data!

Morthan Hobby

How are contributions setup/collected?

Send to me in Amsterdam with the questionnaire, we get the DNA extracted and the DNA can be legally sent to the USA.
-SamS

Last edited by a moderator:

pastor

A question to SamS or any other Phylos confident:

Phylos said:
[FONT=&quot]Each point represents a cannabis sample that has had its DNA sequenced and compared to all the others. Labels are variety names as they were submitted.[/FONT]

I remember you submit a questionnaire for seed contributors. How Phylos use it to select samples to sequence?
Is there any landrace accessions which was not sequenced because of low reliability concerning its origin? Is there some accesssions which are said more reliable than others? Is there any "reliability score" linked to landrace accessions?

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
A question to SamS or any other Phylos confident:

I remember you submit a questionnaire for seed contributors. How Phylos use it to select samples to sequence?
Is there any landrace accessions which was not sequenced because of low reliability concerning its origin? Is there some accesssions which are said more reliable than others? Is there any "reliability score" linked to landrace accessions?

Not yet but there will be. They want older samples that were collect in situ but will take what they can get. We do have the questionnaires to try and prioritize the accessions if we have many from the same countries. We can make a simple color scale would make that very clear.

-SamS

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
I've mentioned this elsewhere, but a really good way to reduce the current crowding and clutter in the galaxy would be to just have everything unrelated disappear when you click on any given data point, except it and its relatives. Then you could actually look at familial relationships from various angles without feeling like you are peering through a tangle of christmas lights. It doesn't seem like this would be very hard to fix.

I gave this feedback to them many months ago, but... these folks are very busy and this is a massive undertaking for them.

This will be a constantly evolving project. It will take years. I think it's amazing and groundbreaking. Looking forward to more landrace data!

I agree, and I want the Galaxy to be searchable by Phylos ID numbers and other criteria. Step by step...
Relationships are cool but I want data for evolution studies.
-SamS

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
After you have 50 posts you can PM me, do you have a traditional landrace? Ganja, Hashish, Hemp, Wild? We want them for sure.
-SamS

Hrpuffnkush

Golden Coast
Veteran
If you cantact phylos , they can tell you how to submit domestically.. in us ...
Takes a looooooong time for results thow ... im creepin up on a year since i submitted samples .... and that was a good idea mentioned above to remove all the stuff they know is not correct.... pretty soon your gonna need a 10k super computer just to open the galaxy lol

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
I am interested in any landrace seeds or leaves, dead can be used, just PM me.
-SamS

Last edited:
Whats the Status of these Projects in late 2016?
How many Samples gathered by now? Is there any Link where i can check results?
this is very interesting!

Hey Sam, it looks like Phylos updated their data use policy documents over the summer after Synthetic Genomics dropped some of their staff into "scientific advisory" positions.

A close reading of their "data policy" documents reveals a critical missing clause: there is nothing preventing Phylos from using molecular cloning techniques to capture cannabinoid synthases submitted by clients and insert them in other mediums (i.e. yeast). Seems kind of like an obvious route to take considering the inventive history of Synthetic Genomics and the current regulatory impediments to producing cannabinoids, don't you think?

Do you mind that they left themselves the option to legally do that? I wonder how many people who have submitted samples realize this is the case? Or that the paying customers who are funding this work could very likely be putting themselves out of work by handing over the keys to organic precursor synthesis technology?

Just wondering if that's something that you've noticed, and, if so, what kind of implications that might have as we all move forward with cannabis breeding in the 21st century.

Cannabologist

Veteran
Hey Sam, it looks like Phylos updated their data use policy documents over the summer after Synthetic Genomics dropped some of their staff into "scientific advisory" positions.

A close reading of their "data policy" documents reveals a critical missing clause: there is nothing preventing Phylos from using molecular cloning techniques to capture cannabinoid synthases submitted by clients and insert them in other mediums (i.e. yeast). Seems kind of like an obvious route to take considering the inventive history of Synthetic Genomics and the current regulatory impediments to producing cannabinoids, don't you think?

Do you mind that they left themselves the option to legally do that? I wonder how many people who have submitted samples realize this is the case? Or that the paying customers who are funding this work could very likely be putting themselves out of work by handing over the keys to organic precursor synthesis technology?

Just wondering if that's something that you've noticed, and, if so, what kind of implications that might have as we all move forward with cannabis breeding in the 21st century.

- The owner of phylos has some interviews where he expressly states doing this is about putting genes/genetics and lineages into the public, which this does prevent patenting legally. Legally most strains on the market today are not patentable anyway, because they are ALREADY on the market (same for the genes, they are public, the research is public, etc). AND most of the patentable things as it comes to the plant itself are patented or the patent office is starting to allow limited patents on varieties with specific ratios of cannabinoids and terpenes... And so long as you haven't put your product to market, and you have something that is yours and abides by the patent rules, you (should be with work+time) be able to obtain a patent.

- It is open public access published knowledge what you are talking about, and thus is not patentable technology, nor is anyone really interested, as it is too expensive, regulations, time and expertise, etc., etc.. If you want some cannabinoids, grow some plants! Same for 1 man or a group of people (ie. a company). The genetic sequences are open published and no one is patenting them - nor is genetic patenting readily done given the public's general feelings on such subjects. You would serve yourself to keep current of the latest events and applicable laws as they surround any particular issue in this regard.

- if someone wants to make cannabinoids, or terpenes, synthetically in a lab, or derived from plants, its not very hard, why are you trying to ice skate uphill? You think corporations have money to waste on things like that? Where is the product here? What are you thinking they are thinking they can do? Sue people for growing dope? ROFL? You know cops still try and put people away in legal states? I dont think anyone cares guy.

- your creative spirit is to be desired do not let me and my bullshit keep you down!

Cannabologist, long post, thanks for the reply. You should note that 95% of what you wrote had nothing to do with what I asked and the question was not directed to you.

Let me be very clear: this isn't about patenting whatsoever. Not at all. This is about cataloging and reproducing synthases in new forms--which is the real gold mine and reason for Phylos' value as a company (I rarely believe the advertising copy that leaps from a business owner's mouth about their raison d'être).

If you need to ask "why would you ever want to do that?", you should read up on international drug laws and literature on the relative efficiency of chemical production between biological organisms and lab synthesis.

Looking to hear from Sam, por favor.

seeded

It'd be pretty awesome being able to brew cannabinoids instead of beer and I imagine it would be hard to detect the strains of yeast over a normal ones too.

It a 10/10 idea. I would definitely invest in that business.