What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

CANNABIS DNA PROJECT

C

Columbo1

Hi Sam S, pictures of the Laos Luang Prabang samples you received are now viewable in the RUST 2 thread. Are you still planning to submit to phylos for genetic analysis?
Thanks
Col.

therevverend

Veteran
I find the genotypes they list confusing. I understand what CBD, Landrace and Hemp strains are. Not sure about the Berry, OG Kush, and Skunk. Skunk is a hybrid of several other strains. If Afghani and Columbian a part of the Skunk hybrid does that mean all strains that check out Skunk contain Afghani and/or Columbian?
I've had lots of different strains that tasted like 'berry' from Narrow Leaf varieties to pure Indica. No idea what it means if it contains 'berry'. And OG Kush is a mess no one knows what OG Kush is. I've seen a dozen different strains called OG Kush. Who decides which OG Kush DNA is real OG?
It would make more sense if strains were listed by origin, 'Narrow Leaf drug type' or 'Wide leaf drug type'. Multi strain modern drug hybrid berry type or skunk type maybe..

Only Ornamental

Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist
Veteran
Those are just the names of the samples someone sent in ;) . And with all the hybridisation, globalisation, marketing (lies), and what not, there's no point in listing origins.
Upss, gotta run, sorry

therevverend

Veteran
No that's not it. For instance Super Silver Haze is said to have a heritage similar to CBD, Berry, Skunk, Hemp, and OG Kush. The name listed of the sample is Super Silver Haze. The heritage is determined after testing. And what does that tell me about the heritage of Super Silver Haze? No idea how to interpret that. Hemp and CBD must mean it's a CBD strain right? No..
I already went over this but who originally judged 'berry' as a cannabis heritage? If they mean 'blueberry' I've seen dozens of blueberries ranging from NLD to WLD. Why not use examples we all can visualize. I know what a ruderalis is. We can agree what it is. Find one and use it. We all know WLD Afghani. Haze would work for a Narrow Leaf we can all visualize. I don't see OG Kush as a cannabis heritage type strain. It's a creation of hybridization, globalization and lies (marketing).

Last edited:

zif

Veteran
^ The stats they’re using assign plants to an assumed number of populations. So presumably after running some fraction of their hundreds of samples, those labels felt like a good fit to the six groups they asked for.

To put it another way, they’re not asking how each plant is related to six archetype clones/definite varieties, but asking how all plants are related in six directions/dimensions of genetic variation.

To bring it down to earth, the fingerprint would be useful mainly if you find that varieties you like tend to share a profile. For example, your favorites are all high berry/og kush might lead you to try others with that profile.

If you’re interested in lineage, the relatedness cluster is probably your better bet. It is interesting to see how many different labels are assigned to popular, identical cuts. That’s not exactly news. It is cool that cuts’ names, however, are often largely accurate! To me, that is a testament to the integrity of this community in the face so many challenges.

therevverend

Veteran
So since Landraces have very little genetic variation they warrant their own category to be grouped together with. But I'd expect their profiles should be very different because they can be adapted to different environments. A Ruderalis Landrace in Russia should have a very different profile to a South African Landrace. If I liked the SA landrace I may not like the Russian landrace. But I understand they may share the similar lack of genetic variation. While a OG Kush or Skunk would have a very high amount of genetic variability. Which warrant their own categories for amount of genetic variation. Kind of makes sense, maybe.
I've noticed berry is probably code for purple Indica types.
The relatedness clusters are interesting, you're right about the same plant different label stuff.
It will get a lot better as more strains are cataloged there aren't enough to draw real conclusions. Hopefully once they get the strain genetics nailed down they'll be able to present the information in more user friendly forms.

riddly

Quite simply you are wrong. To patent a plant the variety must be novel, land races are not and they are the work of others.
People that post should get their "facts" straight.
Do you even understand the difference between a plant patent and plant registration under UPOV? Obviously not.
The real threat to landraces are the police, as well as folks that take western "improved" genetics to be grown in traditional areas like Afghanistan or Thailand, like has happened in Mexico, Jamaica, Morocco.
-SamS

really? there are people growing "improved" genetics in afghanistan these days??? :noway:

zif

Veteran
Sam, it's clear that IDing modern varieties, and especially clones, is a goal that's definitely been achieved.

Do you have any news about progress on the second goal you and Rob mentioned, i.e., of testing theories about Cannabis evolution using the DNA submissions?

In two or three months we hope to have a provisional relationship map worked out that we can put on the web and will let us ID modern strains and hopefully at least test theories concerning the evolution of Cannabis.

Great video from Medicinal Genomics describing some of the issues involved with current sequencing projects. Well worth your time if cannabis genome issues are of interest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybGzvlXubZ4&feature=youtu.be

Edit: Everyone likes to know the conclusions...see the picture below.
picture.php

frostqueen

As much as I love the idea of the Phylos Galaxy, I find it increasingly difficult (nearly impossible, frankly) to explore at this point. There is a ton of information on there all thrown together; it's like trying to find a friend in Times Square on NYE.

If I'm searching for info on one strain, the ability to click a button and make all unrelated strains in the galaxy temporarily disappear so I can pivot around while exploring would make it so much more user-friendly. Or the simple ability to select all of one color/type and hide the rest? Colors do help, but not if they are mixed all together like a bag of skittles.

Maybe I'm missing something? Is there a way to do what I'm describing and I'm just clueless?

W

Water-

its may be your computer.

For me it only works well on my home pc computer with a big screen.

Macbook and Iphone I cant control it either

frostqueen

its may be your computer.

For me it only works well on my home pc computer with a big screen.

Macbook and Iphone I cant control it either

I'm not understanding. Are you saying that my computer isn't showing me the option of turning off unrelated data points...? I am on a Macbook Pro. I can navigate and control everything fine as far as I can tell.

Like I said before: for me it's like navigating a bowl of skittles. If I want to look at Charlotte's Web and all related strains... why would I want all of the unrelated strains to still be displayed?

If it's just on my laptop (not getting why that would matter) I could switch to another computer with a 38" screen. It's just less convenient.

I wish phylos genotype reports had more details and depth in the results.

According to Kevin McKernan (video I posted), no one can provide much depth and detail because they aren't sequencing cannabis appropriately for its complexity...additionally, a lot of the "data" is obscured by bad primer design.

GoatCheese

Veteran
I wish phylos genotype reports had more details and depth in the results.
Hi.
Phylos seems to be updating their platform and the info on "genotype report"-tables aren't updated on most of the samples = When you click for the genotype report for most of the plants all you see is the particular plant in the center, but no related genetics at all
..for some plants the table look as it's supposed to look, but for many there's nothing there.

The new version of the "geno reports" is better than the old one, it's just taking quite abit of time for them to get it working, and it has been shitty for many months now.

W

Water-

I'm not understanding. Are you saying that my computer isn't showing me the option of turning off unrelated data points...? I am on a Macbook Pro. I can navigate and control everything fine as far as I can tell.

Like I said before: for me it's like navigating a bowl of skittles. If I want to look at Charlotte's Web and all related strains... why would I want all of the unrelated strains to still be displayed?

If it's just on my laptop (not getting why that would matter) I could switch to another computer with a 38" screen. It's just less convenient.

maybe or probably i dont know how to use the macbook correctly but without a mouse i cant figure out how to click off the connection lines using the touch pad or whatever its called

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Conception Nurseries, a Leading Cannabis Micropropagation Company, Comes out of Quiet Production and Launches Publicly Today
January 16, 2019 09:00 AM Eastern Standard Time
PORTLAND, Ore.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Conception Nurseries, a cannabis micropropagation company that has been quietly developing cannabis tissue culture clones for nearly two years, is now launching publicly. Conception is bringing tissue culture technology, a crucial component of industrial scale agriculture, to the cannabis industry. With tissue culture micropropagation, Conception produces plantlets that are free of pathogens and have exceptional vigor, at a cost-per-plant below producers' in-house costs.

Conception is led by Chief Executive Officer Kevin Brooks. Kevin most recently served as the CEO of Connected Cannabis, the largest vertically integrated cannabis company in California. Before entering the cannabis industry, Kevin spent 15 years as an executive in Silicon Valley supporting companies through multiple successful exits.

In partnership with both Phylos, the leading cannabis agricultural genomics company, and CropOne, the largest and highest yielding vertical agriculture company, Conception provides cultivators with next-generation, targeted cannabis varieties customized for the needs of consumers and cultivators.

Through its partnership with Phylos, Conception’s tissue culture clones will each be genetically tested and registered with Phylos. A unique genetic ID is assigned to each plant tested, and includes a report revealing identical clone matches and how they’re related to varieties around the world.

Through its technology partnership with CropOne, Conception will use the world’s leading controlled-environment agriculture platform and plantlet development technology to ensure plantlets are pathogen free as well as consistent, vigorous growers.

Conception will be launching its Series A funding and facility rollout plans.

About Conception:

Conception is bringing tissue culture technology, a crucial component of industrial scale agriculture, to the cannabis industry. With tissue culture "micropropagation," Conception produces plantlets that are free of pathogens and have exceptional vigor, at a cost-per-plant below producers' in-house costs. Conception is a partnership between Phylos and CropOne.

About Phylos:

Phylos is the world’s leading provider of cannabis genomics. Using modern molecular genetics and computational biology, Phylos is driving the development and improvement of hemp and drug varieties for optimal performance across diverse agricultural environments. Our world-class team supports research and development, breeding partnerships with global partners, and cultivation businesses worldwide with a comprehensive suite of genetic testing solutions.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts