What's new

Calling All Pot Sommeliers

S

sparkjumper

I think there should be a seperation also between indoor and outdoor.Many of these land race strains are not going to adapt well to indoor growing.I havent grown any but I think the Mazar Sharif is a good example of a landrace bred exclusively for hash production.I'm going to look now and see if anyones grown it out and I bet its not a good indoor strain

I think this is the dumbest idea ever. But screw it, go for it.

I also think its silly that the idea then became bastardized to include a regional system as well. As if Folgers, Maxwell, and Starbucks have some sort of regulating body that standardizes how regions are divided up (hell, they might, I dont know).

The producers of the weed will put the location it was grown on any labels as they see fit. Wouldn't calculating the amount of THC and other chemicals be a more scientific approach to a rating system?

I think this could help separate the true breeders from cash farmers, and help poeple know who to trust when getting seeds. Also I think it would help people have a goal, and motivation to do things right.

What? That's absolutely retarded. I'm not a breeder, and even I know that MAKES NO SENSE.

Right now reputability is based on a mouth to mouth thing. Ask all the people and see what the gernal opinion is about the breeder. You will weigh some peoples opinions more heavily than others (Tier 1). The way you intend to formalize that makes no goddamn sense. It's unscientific and its simply a feeble attempt at social restructuring.

mriko

Green Mujaheed
Veteran
Many of these land race strains are not going to adapt well to indoor growing.I havent grown any but I think the Mazar Sharif is a good example of a landrace bred exclusively for hash production.I'm going to look now and see if anyones grown it out and I bet its not a good indoor strain

Check this Mazar indoor. I think it produced about 80gr dried buds if I remember correctly.http://www.therealseedcompany.com/products.php?product_id=5

Indoor makes classification kinda dubious. Indoor you can grow same strain in California or France with same result. But not outdoor. Here lies the specificity, genetics, human intervention & environment gives this or that strain its identity, its uniqueness & its value. This is not the case with indoor.

The producers of the weed will put the location it was grown on any labels as they see fit. Wouldn't calculating the amount of THC and other chemicals be a more scientific approach to a rating system?

Legally sold product should be tested indeed so as to inform as much as possible the buyer but it's not all about THC & cannabinoids. When buying hash I'm not buying a cannabis ratio, I buy some hand made product which beside its proper psychoactive propeties has a an identity because it's part of the culture & traditions og the country it comes from.
Relying simply on the cannabinoid ratios would be meaningless.

The way you intend to formalize that makes no goddamn sense. It's unscientific and its simply a feeble attempt at social restructuring.

well, then make some propositions ! what science do you think should be applied to the present case ?

Irie !

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I think this is the dumbest idea ever. But screw it, go for it.

I also think its silly that the idea then became bastardized to include a regional system as well. As if Folgers, Maxwell, and Starbucks have some sort of regulating body that standardizes how regions are divided up (hell, they might, I dont know).

What? That's absolutely retarded. I'm not a breeder, and even I know that MAKES NO SENSE.

Right now reputability is based on a mouth to mouth thing. Ask all the people and see what the gernal opinion is about the breeder. You will weigh some peoples opinions more heavily than others (Tier 1). The way you intend to formalize that makes no goddamn sense. It's unscientific and its simply a feeble attempt at social restructuring.

well silver bullet, starbucks does classify their coffee by region roast and blend. So do most coffee producers.

It has nothing to do with science really. It is about authenticity, uniqueness, and the art of producing fine pot and hash. It is also about knowledge and respect, for those who share it.

I want to get as specic as farm names, like single vinyard wines.

Also the fact that it seperates real pro's from cash farmers makes absolute sense. You are just to be around it more. It seems you have never been introduced properly to "the finer things in life", as they are labled, or you would understand. It is just a whole weird mini culture. I personnally think the finest things in life are a good woman, some good bud, some good friends, and some mountains.

Word of mouth means, you are hearing this information from someone that might have a very small pool of information and experience in that over all subject.

If you are talking to a proven master of the subject you know you are talking to some one with a huge pool of knowledge and experience of the subject.

With regulation, you have rules like you cant grow shwag mix it with tobacco and sell it like cigarettes, and call it quality. You have to lable it as cheap crap, just as in the wine world.

It keeps you from getting ripped off. You have to understand the wine market to understand the future recreational weed market.

Rambone ;the appelation regions are great too. kentucky blue berry grass:)

Okay, well good luck either way. I think you're full of absolute horseshit but I sincerely wish you the best.

Hey, where were you for the Washington DC rally? Didn't you say like 10 times you were going to be there? lol

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
how am I full of horse shit? name one way. I have seen alot of negativity from you since you joined this sight. Not many actually constructive things to say.

also i didnt say ten times i was gonna be there (DC). I said I was gonna try to get money together to go but sadly couldnt. I thought i was gonna make it at first.

Please think out your post a little more then maybe i'll take you more seriously. you dont have to agree with me, just post in a constructive manner. Constructive criticism is ok.
then we can talk.

moving on hopefully.....

^A lot of negativity? First off, there's nothing negative about what I intended to bring here. Trying to inject some hard realism.

I'm not trying to be negative, I dont really take any of this that seriously. I've found this entire thread to sound pretentious on your part. Again, perhaps I dont understand in full effect how the marijuana industry would be an overlay of the wine industry...because I don't understand the wine industry. Nor am I even an outdoor grower. LOL. In any case. No worries.

And as far as disputing things point by point. Nah, I disagree with all of it. I dont think any of it makes sense. I mean, I'm all about fighting the power and all that shit. I hate corporations more than mexican diahhrea. But I don't think you're going to get their number on this one.

Alright, I'll move outya way.

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
^ok thanks for clearing that up. I will explain a little further.

Being a Sommelier isnt just about wine. It is about all artisan things ingested. So a somm is also a master of alcoholic spirits, cigars, and food as well. If pot becomes legal they will then be required to become masters on the subject eventually. I know this because real Absinth was recently made legal again, and they had to add it to there rosters. real absinth contains thujone, the chemical from worms wood that gives it it's special magic. Also american somms have to get a hold of real cuban cigars as well to learn about.

If we do not create our own system then you will eventually end up with some pretentious prick creating the system. And they will do it wrong. They will do it for a pay check, and a requirement; not for passion.

Yes there will always be a niche for small growers, but with out a system, shitty product will be spread to the millions like shwag, and sold as quality. Thus screwing the people. With a proper system you will get higher quality weed on a wider scale.

Second; Great Genetics will be preserved and not lost due to strain hording. Also, small grape vineyards can have a back up crop of herb incase of a bad grape year. Thus ensuring they have the money to keep producing quality winw as well.

There is so many positives I can go on.

Thanks for not just listing a bunch of ways I am full of shit. I do value the opinion of someone not into that scene. I will have to think of a way to appeal to almost everyone. do you
have any suggestions. It is really hard not to come off as pretentious when talking about this subject. Sadly, it sounds pretentious when I talk shit about the "actual pretentious" people that dont know shit, that think they know everything. These are just rich ass holes that think the same way about them selves on every subject. I have seen true masters and realize that i dont know anything in comparisson. Yet on a larger scale I know much more than people (rich ass holes) that think they have an abundance of knowledge. This comes off pretentious... sorry.

Breeding has gotten into toooo many hands...unfortunately. I would love for breeders to be rated.

I am with miss blunted. Sooooo many strains have been bastardised over the years that its a sad state of affairs. Just like you get a merlot or sauvignon blanc you are going to need to class the product effectively, and I am guessing you then need recognised/' classed' cultivars as such.

It sounds like a really interesting idea but I think there is a great deal of work ahead , and you will need some sort of society whereby standards and 'cultivars' can be formalised....

mriko

Green Mujaheed
Veteran
Being a Sommelier isnt just about wine.

Actually it is. And sommelier's work isn't even to rate the wine, but to advise restaurant's customer about which wine fits better to the recipe they have chosen.

Yes there will always be a niche for small growers, but with out a system, shitty product will be spread to the millions like shwag, and sold as quality. Thus screwing the people. With a proper system you will get higher quality weed on a wider scale.

Second; Great Genetics will be preserved and not lost due to strain hording. Also, small grape vineyards can have a back up crop of herb incase of a bad grape year. Thus ensuring they have the money to keep producing quality winw as well.

Small growers should have more than a niche, they must be priority. Markets should be fed with local production as much as possible, and production should be done cottage-style & organic, so as to preserve quality & keep the big corps who would serve us with pesticide-filled poisonous weed. I'm not talking about third world countries, but about the US, or even Canada, or any western country where the culture of psychoactive cannabis is established since long enough for particular locally-bred strains to have establish and gained nation-wide recognition. Strains that are the results of the interaction of genetics, breeders' work & the environment they've been bred & grown in.

I was thinking yesterday about that, and idealy there should be some kind of listing made of all the well-established famous strains that have been elaborated & bred locally, state by state, if not county by county, and those strains would be the "cannabic ID card" of the places where they are grown. I mean, when you hear "Bordeaux" you think about wine, when I hear about Humboldt county I think about californian ganja. When those user countries who have developped an old-enough marijuana scene get allowed to export some of their production, i'd love to be able to sample some good material grown under the californian or hawaiian Sun.

Let's not forget that this rating system could be applied only to outdoor grown material. With indoor techniques you can grow same weed 10 000 miles apart so that would be meaningless. I also think that indoor growing techniques should only be for private use or breeders, and not for commercial production.

Irie !

^ok thanks for clearing that up. I will explain a little further.

Being a Sommelier isnt just about wine. It is about all artisan things ingested. So a somm is also a master of alcoholic spirits, cigars, and food as well. If pot becomes legal they will then be required to become masters on the subject eventually. I know this because real Absinth was recently made legal again, and they had to add it to there rosters. real absinth contains thujone, the chemical from worms wood that gives it it's special magic. Also american somms have to get a hold of real cuban cigars as well to learn about.

If we do not create our own system then you will eventually end up with some pretentious prick creating the system. And they will do it wrong. They will do it for a pay check, and a requirement; not for passion.

There is so many positives I can go on.

Thanks for not just listing a bunch of ways I am full of shit. I do value the opinion of someone not into that scene. I will have to think of a way to appeal to almost everyone. do you
have any suggestions. It is really hard not to come off as pretentious when talking about this subject. Sadly, it sounds pretentious when I talk shit about the "actual pretentious" people that dont know shit, that think they know everything. These are just rich ass holes that think the same way about them selves on every subject. I have seen true masters and realize that i dont know anything in comparisson. Yet on a larger scale I know much more than people (rich ass holes) that think they have an abundance of knowledge. This comes off pretentious... sorry.

Certainly, I'll be happy to give you more of my perspective. Always happy to give my opinion when asked or not asked.

Okay so the first part I bolded is almost at the bedrock of my cynicism of this Sommelier idea. Why would you presume that the marijuana we bought in stores would be crap? Why do you not think that the free market will take over and quality product could not be attained through other means...such as Internet order and mail order.

I do strongly feel that the genetics need to be guarded and cared for. The owners of those genetics are the ones with the power though. If their genetics are as good as they say they are, and as consistent as they should be, then their product will rise to the cream of the crop. Who knows, maybe the sky is the limit and they could be the next budweisers if they play their cards right.

My point of view is simply that the money and the market are going to work itself out naturally. So, the ground floor of my viewpoint is that you are trying to fix a problem that does not exist, and strongly doubt will exist. And if it did exist, I don't think your branding is going to be able to over power $$$$

mriko

Green Mujaheed
Veteran
I do strongly feel that the genetics need to be guarded and cared for.
Close to impossible with a non-regulated free market straight from the start.

The owners of those genetics are the ones with the power though. If their genetics are as good as they say they are, and as consistent as they should be, then their product will rise to the cream of the crop. Who knows, maybe the sky is the limit and they could be the next budweisers if they play their cards right.

Except that budweiser is not better than camel piss. Hence why big corps must be kept at bay.

Irie !

Irie !

707Corridor

Hey mriko, good points.

Just to chime in on what you said, I personally think that indoor should be allowed into the some type of somm system. If even a broad indoor category where its rated from 5 stars to 1 star. I would not indoor variety to be left out...because isn't there some strains that just cannot handle the outdoor conditions? I could be wrong here.

Just my two cents...but you are right indoor does seem to make this system a little harder to figure out.

Unsane

Ok right now I am trying to come up with a list of regions. everybody start naming world wide regions where you can grow great pot, and/ or has unique landraces that dont grow well in other places. Also Hash regions will be needed as well

so far I have......
Mendicino, trinity, humboldt
hawaii
kentucky
ohio
oregon east and then west of cascades
washington state
South texas hill country.

It seems to me that you can grow great pot in almost every part of the word. What would be the point of making a list if the latter is true?Sure those places are known to produce great pot; but its more like a brand name than any indication of specialty.

Anyways, you might want to add Marin, Sonoma, Napa, Florida, Colorado, Alaska, Maine. But why not Virginia or Montana or even Arizona? And I'm sure there are even places in Tibet, Africa, east Asia, and Siberia! The list can go on and on

C

Cookie monster

Hey mriko, good points.

Just to chime in on what you said, I personally think that indoor should be allowed into the some type of somm system. If even a broad indoor category where its rated from 5 stars to 1 star. I would not indoor variety to be left out...because isn't there some strains that just cannot handle the outdoor conditions? I could be wrong here.

I tend to agree, not only for the reasons above but because there are many seed banks that sell the same strains so there is a certain logic in some sort of rating system.

9Lives

three for playing, three for straying, and three f
Veteran
Why the hell are we talking about markets and market manipulation again. When this has nothing to do with the subject ? Sommeliers do not control the wine markets why are we talking about this ?

Everything mriko talks about is wishful thinking at best. You have no say in this..Neither do I..

Work with what you got RIGHT NOW! No one knows if cannabis will ever become legal or not..

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
^9lives-The creation of a system like this further legitimizes pot. The more people that treat it as a legal product the more the attitude of the county will shift to our side. I want to do all this because I'm a positive thinker, and big dreamer of the future. vilualize what you want and help make it happen. Pot will be legal eventually. Big dreamers change the world. look at Martin Luther King. I am not comparing myself to him in any way, other than that we are both big dreamers that want massive social change. He was a great man that is impossible to live up to. I'm just a dude on a pc.

sliver bullet- I asume there will be mass ammounts of crap produced because that is the way of big alcohol, tobacco and pharmacutics. Also big tobacco has already copy writ, and pattented cirtain names in preperation for legalization. Like pananma red and white widow. they are ready, so we must be ready for the change. we must get ahead of them. This is a problem that does exist in seed form, but it will growm and ruin pot for everyone.

707- I do think indoor should have it's own set of clasifications. you are right, some strains just cant make it out doors, but we dont want to miss out on them.

mriko- In germany the whole town works the vinyard in may places. It is their bread and butter and they take pride in it. In Northern California it could easily be the same way. So your cottage style suggestions is not far off at all.

Unsane- grapes are grown everywhere too, but it doesnt mean the wine that comes from them is good. Some areas are just way better than others.

Latest posts

Latest posts