What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Calling All Pot Sommeliers

haze crazy

Yeah but the TRUE master's IMHO DONT even know what a computer looks like, let along go advertising on the net or ICMAG .......lol

The "True Master" stay hidden, that's why there masters ;)

The masters stay hidden to stay out of the slammer. I`would love to go to a budtenders`s school where i can smell and sample strains/varieties to understand the nuances of fine cannabis. But, I don`t look forward to cannabis geeks becoming pot snobs who think they know everything and others know nothing... When you get to the point you think you know everything, you are actually lost........

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i think this is bullshit because if pot wasn't illegal, a 4 year old toddler, could drop a seed on the ground and push it down with his finger, then water it everyday outside until.. omg.. dankness was created.. and it took no skill whatsoever.. pot growing is a scam, if this ever becomes legal,m were all out of a job =(

if your proud of yourself because u were able to grow a weed, give urself a kiss on the cheeck and pat on the butt... Takes no brains to breed or grow the dankest in the world.. my 2 cents.. B4 i knew anything about soil compision, i had my own veggie garden when i was like 7 or 8, stop kidding yourselves gals.. weed growing is NOT a challenge!

I'l tell u what it is, people r freaked out, wacked out and paranoid to the core of their shitters.. and any1 that thinks planting a weed plant is hard, u r retarded

It is not hard to get a harvest. It is the breeding, and knowledge of genetics. I dont appriciate your overly negative trolling attitude. I guarentee you that, if given the same seeds, someone with years of experience could grow much better pot from them than a new grower. To me it sounds like. you are inexperienced and could benifit from knowledge that you dont even know exist.

Also you have never handled a large scale grow it apears. It can be a full time job during some points. Have you ever designed, and built a large dwc system from scratch? Have you managed a harvest of hundreds of pounds. Well in order to be a certain level in the system this will have to be a proven requirement. The tests are not just on paper. Can you be handed any strain not knowing what you were being handed and identify the exact strain? A Master could. Do you see what I'm getting at?

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The masters stay hidden to stay out of the slammer. I`would love to go to a budtenders`s school where i can smell and sample strains/varieties to understand the nuances of fine cannabis. But, I don`t look forward to cannabis geeks becoming pot snobs who think they know everything and others know nothing... When you get to the point you think you know everything, you are actually lost........

This is pretty much true unfortunately. I think the system would stay pretty small, and underground for a long while. Legalization would free it up to become a real guild.

The know it all pot geeks will be a problem. The tests are harder than that though. They would be weeded out (lol). Most masters wont even talk about wine except with other masters ot lvl 3's, unless brought up by some one else. then they are generally very happy to hear any questions. Not just any young person can be a master, it takes years. With those years come maturity.... usually. The master wine somm that I know is not a snobb what so ever. He is a very down to earth guy, that does not rub his title in anyones face. It is like have a double phd of wine and business. It is not easy.

Last edited:
S

Sir_Nugget

blah, fine, im just saying pot isn't wine, it's a nice thought

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
^hahahha. the high is part of the experience there is no spitting. I could see someone falling asleep though in a heavy "tasting" setion.

D

draco

Yeah I always felt that way about wine too... spitting out really good wine.

Fact is, there will always be those who demand the best and are willing to pay for it. This fact alone predicates the creation of a formal body to determine the grade of the herb. Hey EVERYONE wants to have the best don't they? So there is this huge vacuum that is currently being filled by hearsay and hype.

This is a huge issue; thanks for pointing it out!!

9Lives

three for playing, three for straying, and three f
Veteran
blah, fine, im just saying pot isn't wine, it's a nice thought

Being a big wine fan myself. I will say it's alot better than wine with a lot more different aspects to it.

Cannabis business will be like the wine business i have no doubt in my mind. If you got something that can be bred for different tastes, smells or colors you will have a conniseur following. But cannabis also has a whole world of different highs. THAT is the true quality that separates cannabis from all the others.

So there definatley will be weed sommeliers. Self proclaimed maybe but none the less newbies will get their info from them. There will be small farms all around the world with their own breeding projects and genetics.

What im thinking about and what puzzles me the most is the seed market. Why would anyone pass clones or seeds if they can sell the bud ? I'm thinking start hoarding now. Once it becomes legal no one will sell seeds..

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
^this is ok. It will lead to better controlled genetics, and breeding out shitty phenos. Also you could just go to the store and buy IBL's and be confident in what you are buying. no issues like the headband vs 707 headband issue that I heard of recently.

Also It creates a whole new industry in the weed world for people to make money at, thus improving the econemy. I imagine jason king would pounce on this job. He seems to be the original "published" somm of pot with his cannabibles

H

h^2 O

i would be like a -5
Have you SEEN some of my grow shots? YIKES! I'm making bathtub bud over here

mriko

Green Mujaheed
Veteran
There can be people that assure big corporations, that are bound to join in the game, cant sell crap as top quality.

To let the big corps (and their WTO buddies) in would be a terrible thing for the plant, even worst than current prohibition. All the benefits many kind of different people around the world could gain from a legal market would be lost for the exclusively ecomomic profit of a very few ones.
You don't want Unilever or Monsanto weed in your bowl, trust me...

There will be small farms all around the world witraith their own breeding projects and genetics.

Yep, let's not forget all the humble peasants in many countries who are growing so as they can feed their family, send their children to school. They can't be left out of any legalization, for they have grown & bred their local strains for centuries & generations and all the great things we can do with the plants in our gardens & closets is thanks to these people for the most part, let's not forget it.
The comparison with wine is good, because in most of its aspects (and most especially hashish) it's just like vine.you can't compare Tokay, Bordeaux & Champagne. Three different kind of wines, made of different "cépages (strains), in different environement, with different specific & local production techniques. Same with hash & ganja. You can't compare a jungle cream from Parvati, with a Kashmiri twisted gardah & a Shegarghan hand pressed charas. All hash, but all so different. It's "terroir". Wine have its terroirs, hash & ganja too. For some countries it has as much cultural & identitary value than wine has in France. It's same same.
It is important to make things such as a legalization wouldn't wipe out these cultures, for the profit of some big corp enjoying good ganja money.
And I would even add that such countries were the production of hash & ganja is customary should be given priority for export on global market. To protect their product (labels, certofied origins & so on) and make sure that the populations of these countries at last get their share of the cakes. SOme racist & fascist rule have been forced upon them for decades, preventing to earn the money their work & product who have produced in a legal system. They have been willingly & forcefully in abject poverty, for many, prevented to exploit and benefit from a traidtionnal, natural resource which is in great demand all arouond the world. France export her wine all round the world, hash & ganja producing countries should be able to legally export their production.
Any legalization that keeps them at bay will be a failure in itself, real shame...

Irie !

Last edited:
C

Cookie monster

"And I would even add that such countries were the production of hash & ganja is customary should be given priority for export on global market. To protect their product (labels, certofied origins & so on) and make sure that the populations of these countries at last get their share of the cakes. SOme racist & fascist rule have been forced upon them for decades, preventing to earn the money their work & product who have produced in a legal system. They have been willingly & forcefully in abject poverty, for many, prevented to exploit and benefit from a traidtionnal, natural resource which is in great demand all arouond the world. France export her wine all round the world, hash & ganja producing countries should be able to legally export their production.
Any legalization that keeps them at bay will be a failure in itself, real shame..."

It's a double edged sword mriko, were weed to be legal then the market for imported would dry up and many of these subsistance farmers will lose part of their income and their crops will become worthless to them.
The only reason the grow more than they need is that the black market keeps prices inflated.

I agree that there is a dire need of some sort of standardised system, quality control or whatever you want to call it for breeders and seed companies.
But none of these people will go for an idea like that it's bad for business in the short term and will affect their profits.

Has any of the breeders/seed vendors that come to this site even replyed to this thread?

PazVerdeRadical

all praises are due to the Most High
Veteran
It's a double edged sword mriko, were weed to be legal then the market for imported would dry up and many of these subsistance farmers will lose part of their income and their crops will become worthless to them.
The only reason the grow more than they need is that the black market keeps prices inflated.

imo the market for imported goods would not go down, it would go up in fact.

there are micro-climates that help produce excellent outdoor bud that is hard to compare to anything else... these factors are sought in the wine market as well, you could be growing the same grape and making the same wine, but what may end up separating the final quality of the grape can be the environment where it was grown.

paz

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"And I would even add that such countries were the production of hash & ganja is customary should be given priority for export on global market. To protect their product (labels, certofied origins & so on) and make sure that the populations of these countries at last get their share of the cakes. SOme racist & fascist rule have been forced upon them for decades, preventing to earn the money their work & product who have produced in a legal system. They have been willingly & forcefully in abject poverty, for many, prevented to exploit and benefit from a traidtionnal, natural resource which is in great demand all arouond the world. France export her wine all round the world, hash & ganja producing countries should be able to legally export their production.
Any legalization that keeps them at bay will be a failure in itself, real shame..."

I agree that there is a dire need of some sort of standardised system, quality control or whatever you want to call it for breeders and seed companies.
But none of these people will go for an idea like that it's bad for business in the short term and will affect their profits.

Has any of the breeders/seed vendors that come to this site even replyed to this thread?

Thinking big here man. I think it is a great idea to protect these people in the process of legalization with this system. This system would put a higher value on their product because they will be an offiicial region that produces a limted ammount of a product that can only be produced in that particular region. you cant make nepalize hash in california. It would have to be made with nepalize strains in nepal by nepalize people. that could be a rule in clasification. Just like it cant be burgandy, which is the pinot noir grape, unless is produced in the burgandy region. If it pinot noir is produced it oregon it is called pinot noir, even if it a clone from a mom pinot noir plant in burgandy. the vinyards there are owned by the french mostly.

The point is terrior is unique to region. Terrior- the over all make up of the elements that whent into growing a grape. Soil, sun, wind, rain, altitude, temp... etc. the same goes true with pot. If I grow a clone outdoors in nothren mexico, and you grow the same clone in southern oregon, the bud results would be pretty different.

my second point is, people will dicover they like pot grown in a certain region better than another. We will also then find out truely where the best places to grow are. No hype. I think Maui is gonna win that though.

So you see the system wont hurt these people, it will help their product retain its value in a legal market. It will also make it harder for big corporations to produce quality bud. There will be no keeping them out of the shwag market though. It is impossible. They have already copy writed and pattented cetain things for their future weed products. They are planning ahead and so must we! They will start advertising cigarettes mixes with 1/10th weed so you can try it slowly if you havnt before and want to get into it. then they will have even more niccotine to hook you. Big tobbacco is sleeze, and will sell their shit as quality if we dont stop them. This sytem is a premtive strike against them.

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
imo the market for imported goods would not go down, it would go up in fact.

there are micro-climates that help produce excellent outdoor bud that is hard to compare to anything else... these factors are sought in the wine market as well, you could be growing the same grape and making the same wine, but what may end up separating the final quality of the grape can be the environment where it was grown.

paz

correct

D

draco

I love embryonics.

We stand at the crossroads of history, my herbal bros and sistas . What is done NOW lays the tracks for the future.

Who will stand forth?

There are three kinds of people:

Those who make things happen,

Those who watch things happen,

and

Those who wonder what happened.

I want in on this... though I will be watching and wondering...lol

Latest posts

Latest posts