What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

California Has Too Much Weed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Scott64a

I'm not disputing the often overused "80/20" diatribe.

I agree with the principals put forth in this thread about it and in other places I've seen it apply accurately.

I'm a personal use grower though, so it doesn't apply to me.

I grow it, my friends grow it and we grow it very well. Start with awesome genetics, and simply feed occasionally up to about two or three weeks before harvest. Flush well for those two last weeks.

We have so much around that I'm not the least bit concerned about how commercial or medical growers are going to survive this burgeoning market, "80/20" or other market saturation principals included.

My point is this: the largest sector of the market won't be buying the 20% select stuff.
Most will just plain grow it.

Like me. :)

Will people want to try top shelf? Of course. Will there be a special market for it? Of course.

Will CA growers be able to sell any of it even after interstate sales are given the OK? Meh...
If my n00blet friend can go to a grow shop the day after Dec. 15th, (the new MA state holiday for recreational legalization LOL,) and within 5 months produce one VERY fine crop of Liberty Haze, (around 2lbs,) why would he do anything other than just trade with other growers?
Why would he want to go to a store and buy "Cali weed"?

LOL

Oh, the weed shortage is long gone now, and not likely to return unless legal recreational is "repealed and replaced".

I never thought I'd see legal weed in my lifetime.

S

Scott64a

i was asking the wife what she would do for smoke should i pass, and she said "i guess i'd have to start buying at the rec stores."

(w)rec stores have been open since July 2014 (WA) and i have yet to darken their doors...meaning i am certain that my monies are not paying for incarceration of cannabis users.

legalization has produced new governing entities that must be supported through the 'sin tax' of cannabis consumption.

i recommend boycotting if you're able to grow, bypassing the middle men that governance has installed to increase taxation through each level of transference.

to each his own, i guess.

Yes, this.

Why let the dicks be involved in it at all?

hahahaha

S

Scott64a

Just a weed... :D

Cannabis is a very advanced high order species.
Sure, it's a eucidot... but it's not nearly as fussy as say... orchids or roses.

Well, most strains aren't. Some, bred and propagated in tightly controlled indoor grows are monsters with very specific needs and requirements.

It's still a ditch weed, even though it's only 125 or so million years old.

:)

My point being that the specialized market ot eh 20%-ers that the OP suggests are going to have a hard time keeping that sector of the market locked down for continued success.

I make a prediction: In twenty years' time, there will be a handful of
very specialized growers with patents on their stock and they will control the niche market for the masses.

There will be truckloads of schwag around still, sold like cigarettes all over, in convenience stores, etc.

Most people will just grow it themselves!

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
winner@420giveaway
Come on California, don't square up on us! If there's weed to be smoked there, everybody dig in and start smoking up! Is it not as fun when it's legal? :biggrin:

S

Scott64a

Come on California, don't square up on us! If there's weed to be smoked there, everybody dig in and start smoking up! Is it not as fun when it's legal? :biggrin:

Who'd ever have thought it possible for CA to square up?!?

Sheesh... He's right; smoke UP!!!

DocTim420

The Doctor is OUT and has moved on...
Scott, as a consultant--if I could zero in on a solution by pulling a ROT (rule of thumb) from my bag of tricks, I am a hero. Besides, it helps not to stray down those dead end rabbit holes...wasting time/energy.

Maybe I did not connect the dots very well on my thoughts.

In most market conditions, when there is an excess supply ("too much weed") the prices drop rapidly, and the reverse is true as well (prices for pot rapidly skyrockets when there ain't much around). The exception to this "rule of thumb" will be "luxury items" (20% market); prices in this group fluctuate the least and more slowly...sometimes the price movement is opposite to what happens in the 80% market. Whereas prices for the bottom (80% market) fluctuates the most, and the lower your position is, the greater the impact.

So my 80/20 discussion is my suggestion to help others react to the knowledge that cannabis prices on the horizon will be falling...sooner and probably more drastic than most of us anticipated.

Now, let's translate my idea to cannabis and dollars. Let's say in the "good days" the 20% market cannabis sells on the average for $2000/lb, average mediocre (middle of bell shaped curve) for $1500, bad mediocre $1000, and better mediocre $1750.

Now we fast forward later this year to anticipated "bad days", what can we anticipate? The 20% market might stay flat, increase or drop a bill or two, but let's say it drops a bill or two (-200 or -10%). The average mediocre drops twice that amount (-400 or -27%), and bad mediocre dropping to what? $500...50%?

Moral of the story: the farther to the right you are in the bell shaped-curve graph, lower the price volatility; further left, greater the price volatility. Reacting to a 50% drop in price requires a different response than say a 10% drop.

BTW, I smoke what I grow and I like smoking the best....which means my micro grow would still be sourced from the 20% collection. How does a small guy get the 20% cultivar? Big seed runs. Same path to the same destination I take--just different purpose. Greater the number of seeds...greater the chances of finding a 20% or better cultivar (aka "recessive trait".

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It depends on who the grower is. Here in Cali its not 2000 for our best. It's 2800 all day everyday. For the stuff that's in the 20-25% test range its 2500. We do not offer flowers below 20%. Our Niche market is small we like it like that. These are the prices we get. No clue what others get for there best indoor, No clue what outdoor goes for today. Most outdoor turns info concentrates. What does 1 oz of b grade outdoor shatter go for today. I bet its the same as good outdoor.

In the good ol days it was 38-4 for our best indoor.

S

Scott64a

Maybe it's time for someone to come along, buy all the excess product up and make oils and good hash.

The market changes, and people have to adapt.

rolandomota

Veteran
Its Time to grow some 25% sativa monsters in cali from ace. I want to grow some stuff people here in texas will happily pay 20 a gram for and not feel ripped off by some mediocre random bullshit thats not much stronger than brick weed yea 20 a gram easily sells around here so you get fuckers that buy the cheap weak outdoor and peddle it for 10 20 a gram calling it "top shelf" lol what a joke i would rather buy a quarter 10$ or half oz 20$ of brick than pay 10 20 for a fucking gram! Or better yet 20 an oz when buying in bulk. Anyone in cali selling 20 to 40 $ ounces yet? Time to grow more lol too much booring sleepy indica yes too much sativa? NEVER!

Last edited:

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
Maybe it's time for someone to come along, buy all the excess product up and make oils and good hash.

The market changes, and people have to adapt.

not a bad idea...
stockpile oil for when it's dry.
concentrates are the future imo.
that is where the medical efficacy lies.

good comments guys...thnx.:joint:

S

Scott64a

I think a big part of the people who will ultimately be successful will be those who aren't simply parroting a sky is falling mentality but instead turn their energies toward the most useful question I know how to ask:

"NOW, what can I do?"

Shit changes.
That's the only constant.

If I were in a place where I could do so, I'd be buying bulk cannabis and processing it into hash or oils.
I mean... that's what everyone else in the world does when THEY have too much weed.

hahaha

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
winner@420giveaway
Its Time to grow some 25% sativa monsters in cali from ace. I want to grow some stuff people here in texas will happily pay 20 a gram for and not feel ripped off by some mediocre random bullshit thats not much stronger than brick weed yea 20 a gram easily sells around here so you get fuckers that buy the cheap weak outdoor and peddle it for 10 20 a gram calling it "top shelf" lol what a joke i would rather buy a quarter 10$ or half oz 20$ of brick than pay 10 20 for a fucking gram! Or better yet 20 an oz when buying in bulk. Anyone in cali selling 20 to 40 $ ounces yet? Time to grow more lol too much booring sleepy indica yes too much sativa? NEVER!

America thanks you for getting Texas high!

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
Sure, it's a eucidot... but it's not nearly as fussy as say... orchids or roses.

Well, most strains aren't. Some, bred and propagated in tightly controlled indoor grows are monsters with very specific needs and requirements.

It's still a ditch weed

So not fussy, still classy, could be incredible with the addition of love and care, and goes right back to shit without constant attention....?

Something tells me you've missed a few options at a good marriage due to downtrodden evaluations, and still think you need to convince yourself you made the right choice.

This "weed" is more than your average "chick".

Acceptance of that fact is totally optional.

In the terms in which we are discussing it she could be viewed in a whorish light but needs a better filter.

If you are pimping out a royal, don't expect her to treat you like her lover.

S

Scott64a

So not fussy, still classy, could be incredible with the addition of love and care, and goes right back to shit without constant attention....?

Something tells me you've missed a few options at a good marriage due to downtrodden evaluations, and still think you need to convince yourself you made the right choice.

This "weed" is more than your average "chick".

Acceptance of that fact is totally optional.

In the terms in which we are discussing it she could be viewed in a whorish light but needs a better filter.

If you are pimping out a royal, don't expect her to treat you like her lover.

I suppose we're both guilty of putting a subjective opinion out there and treating it as FACT.
It's relative, really.

I know cannabis is amazing, even when it's not treated like royalty.

The plants that ARE treated like royalty produce the stickiest of the icky and the very best around. I don't dispute that at all.

I'm only trying to keep people grounded here. It's not hard to see that a lot of people here seem to be riding a halcyon wave since decriminalization occurred, and it's been fun.

Now, the market is flooded and probably will be for some time especially if everyone is growing a ton of it.

In places where it grows wild, it's a ditch weed.

Like it or not.

Romanticize it if you want. The essentials are that we smoke or ingest the flowers of this plant, and my actual point was that people CAN and WILL grow awesome herb and just give it to each other regardless of CA's growers ruining their own market.

From what I've seen, anyone who liked herb at some point is growing if they can. Most are. A decent yield from a grow room is the norm now. Getting a QP per plant is no thing now for us.

We won the game; why play ball at all and let the greasy politicians line their pockets with the proceeds? To help the market out? If the price of tomatoes goes down, I'm not going to go buy more from the store when I'm growing awesome ones at home. How is this any different?
That's not my trip if I can help it, and I can help it.

Cannabis is pretty easy to grow. I stand by that. It's easy to mess up, but much easier once you have. After that, it's not bad at all. If any of my friends ever lost an outdoor crop they were depending on for the year, we'd all pitch in and gift them an ounce each.

It doesn't require a special, high priced market or "$X.XX/gram" in my mind.
It just needs people to grow it. It's much simpler than the wanna be Dank MillionaireZ want to admit.

Sorry... but it's the way she goes.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
instead of building a sands oil pipeline from Canada to the Gulf of Mexico, why won't someone build a hash oil pipeline from the west coast to east Tennessee? fuck, i'll help dig...:woohoo:

m314

ICMag Donor
Veteran
instead of building a sands oil pipeline from Canada to the Gulf of Mexico, why won't someone build a hash oil pipeline from the west coast to east Tennessee? fuck, i'll help dig...:woohoo:

We don't need a pipeline. A few trucks or train cars a year could supply enough for Tennessee.

"Too much weed", there's no such thing. Only if you're a professional grower trying to sell it in a flooded market.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts