What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

California Has Too Much Weed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
Eeyore said weeds are flowers if you look at them right.

Where does he live?

I'm moving. Respect is hard to find these days.

Especially when the masses have been disinformed.

Pass the hunny Pooh.

I need a bender.

S

Scott64a

Cannabis is a WEED and a GIFT.

This.

Yeah, this "too much weed" phenomenon is only really affecting the pro growers.
This is what happens when everyone goes whole hog and floods a market.

Look at oil production... controlled for best profits. I'm afraid unless the same business principals are applied, the commercial growers are going to find themselves trying to sell sand at the beach.

S

Scott64a

Well, I've never...

A bag of sugar leaves and trim? 3,000lbs of it?!?

I'm telling you guys... someone needs to set up a big operation to press hash and oil and give these growers bottom dollar for their larf and trim.
They'd have all kinds of oil there with a long shelf life.

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
Love the idea but it would be like gold bars.

You would need a Fort Knugs to guard such concentrated goodies.

I still don't think there is such thing as too much weed.

That said, perhaps I can see a reason not to have a ton of eggs in one basket.

But still, I'm going to pack too much weed in my bong.

And then I am going to get too much sleep.

If I don't have too much sex first.

rolandomota

Veteran
Grow some ace malawi find the most potent phenos in that cultivar and you will be the most sought after seller for having the most potent weed. charge top dollar and youll be good

Gry

Veteran
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Left me with an image of a large field of cannabis and a row of goats.
[/FONT]

DocTim420

The Doctor is OUT and has moved on...
You like potato and I like potahto
You like tomato and I like tomahto
Potato, potahto, tomato, tomahto.
You like "pheno" and I like "cultivar"....

Why do I use the term "cultivar" instead of "pheno"? Because it is the same term "professionals" use.

Try this experiment, search Google Scholar with these three search terms and compare the results.

Cannabis "cultivar" https://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=cannabis+%22cultivar%22
Cannabis "pheno" https://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=cannabis+%22pheno%22
Cannabis "phenotype" https://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=cannabis+%22phenotype%22

Only one term will provide you with an abundance of topical information about cultivating cannabis, the other two search terms will point you to information about the cannabis plant's "chemical" and "genetic" composition.

Whatever you call it, let's get back on topic...one of my Sour-D cultivars just got me a nice 25 ticket...considering better than mediocre is worth 15 or so. I guess that is anecdotal evidence there still can be upward vertical movement in this crazy So Cali market...especially if your work product is top shelf.

DocTim to add another layer of the 80/20 rule, it seems only 20% of the frequently consuming population has even seen High quality cannabis due to the abundance of crap sold as higher grades to uninformed consumers. With this many who do not know what good quality even is, it's hard to convince them the 20% your referring to even exists. They think your always just being negative and picky when in fact most bud and hash available is shwag or mids.

There's alot of pride among these types of users and unless you have physical examples to show them(which in many cases is not possible) they will just think your exaggerating or you yourself are just being overly prideful. When dealing with grower who spent money and time to grow mids they think is the dankest, dank; things can get a bit heated.

Having smoked among many in the industry here in Colorado and just regular everyday people across the country, I know it maybe be extreme, but I'd wager atleast 95% smoke shwaggy mids and atleast 90% don't even know what high quality cannabis even is. Most talk about terpenes without any real idea to how they relate to high quality cannnabis,. If your dried bud in a bag doesn't smell a block away and when smoked the taste lingers for over an hour, your probably don't know what terpenes are. If you have to stick your nose into a jar or bag with an ounce or more to smell it, you probably don't know what terpenes are.

Little stoner rant at the end there but cannabis quality is fustrating

Last edited:

DocTim420

Two words: Amen brutha!

Not to talk like a "grandpa", but I am north of 60 and started smoking weed before I was a teenager...and was introduced to quality at the very beginning (I worked with musicians and audiophiles as a teenager and what they smoked was better than what I could get on the street).

Fast forward a few years--I just completed my stint in the Army and luckily, I was fortunate to be at the right spot at the right time. For the next 5 years or so, twice a month we imported Thai Sticks (thanks to USAF Military Airlift Command) and broke down "phone book" packages of Thai Sticks. These were the real deal. BTW, I cry crocodile tears when I think of all the seeds we tossed after breaking down those phone books sized packages. It was common for us to find a minimum of two dozen seeds each time....WAAAAHHHHHH....5 years...twice a month...dozens of Thai Stick seeds each time.....WAAAAAHHHHH, probably two-three thousand seeds were tossed! I did not know better...sorry!

Fast forward a few more years--I was part of "Corporate America" and made more dough as a Candyman than I did in my "daytime job" (lol...have beeper will travel). I not only serviced my fellow employees, but was the go to guy for two 24 track recording studios...this was in the early 80s. Let's just say...my clientele did not like mediocre and if you did not have the very best, then your beeper would suddenly go silent; no bueno.

As you can see, I don't have much experience with mediocre (oh I smoked my share of swag...when times are tight, hard to be picky), just very fortunate to have both the dough and access to some of the very best.

IMO...one characteristic of the top 20% is the aroma/flavor of the "inhale" should almost match the "exhale", providing you with sensations that are more "memorable" than not. Swag, mediocre, commersh...just can't do that.

Haze and Northern lights are Cultivars.

Northern lights #5 x Haze is a Hybrid.

A desirable Northern lights #5 x Haze plant has a unique Genotype which results in an observable Phenotype.

End of story :)

DocTim420

Haze and Northern lights are Cultivars.

Northern lights #5 x Haze is a Hybrid.

A desirable Northern lights #5 x Haze plant has a unique Genotype which results in an observable Phenotype.

End of story :)

Oh where do we start? From Wiki--

A phenotype (from Greek phainein, meaning 'to show', and typos, meaning 'type') is the composite of an organism's observable characteristics or traits, such as its morphology, development, biochemical or physiological properties, behavior, and products of behavior (such as a bird's nest). A phenotype results from the expression of an organism's genetic code, its genotype, as well as the influence of environmental factors and the interactions between the two. When two or more clearly different phenotypes exist in the same population of a species, the species is called polymorphic. A well-documented polymorphism is Labrador Retriever coloring; while the coat color depends on many genes, it is clearly seen in the environment as yellow, black and brown.

The interaction between genotype and phenotype has often been conceptualized by the following relationship:

genotype (G) + environment (E) → phenotype (P)

A more nuanced version of the relationship is:

genotype (G) + environment (E) + genotype & environment interactions (GE) → phenotype (P)

The genotype – a term coined by Danish botanist, plant physiologist and geneticist Wilhelm Johannsen in 1903[1] – is the part (DNA sequence) of the genetic makeup of a cell, and therefore of an organism or individual, which determines a specific characteristic (phenotype) of that cell/organism/individual.[2] Genotype is one of three factors that determine phenotype, the other two being inherited epigenetic factors, and non-inherited environmental factors. DNA mutations which are acquired rather than inherited, such as cancer mutations, are not part of the individual's genotype; hence, scientists and physicians sometimes talk for example about the (geno)type of a particular cancer, that is the genotype of the disease as distinct from the diseased.

An example of how genotype determines a characteristic is petal color in a pea plant.

The term cultivar[nb 1] most commonly refers to an assemblage of plants selected for desirable characteristics that are maintained during propagation. More generally, cultivar refers to the most basic classification category of cultivated plants governed by the ICNCP. Most cultivars have arisen in cultivation, but a few are special selections from the wild.

Popular ornamental garden plants like roses, camellias, daffodils, rhododendrons, and azaleas are cultivars produced by careful breeding and selection for flower colour and form. Similarly, the world's agricultural food crops are almost exclusively cultivars that have been selected for characteristics such as improved yield, flavour, and resistance to disease and very few wild plants are now used as food sources. Trees used in forestry are also special selections grown for their enhanced quality and yield of timber.

An F1 hybrid (or filial 1 hybrid) is the first filial generation of offspring of distinctly different parental types.[1] F1 hybrids are used in genetics, and in selective breeding, where it may appear as F1 crossbreed. The term is sometimes written with a subscript, as F1 hybrid.[2][3] Subsequent generations are called F2, F3, etc.

The offspring of distinctly different parental types produce a new, uniform phenotype with a combination of characteristics from the parents. In fish breeding, those parents frequently are two closely related fish species, while in plant and animal breeding the parents often are two inbred lines. Mules are F1 hybrids between horse and donkey. Today, certain domestic–wild hybrid breeds, such as the Savannah cat, are classified by their filial generation number.

Gregor Mendel focused on patterns of inheritance and the genetic basis for variation. In his cross-pollination experiments involving two true-breeding, or homozygous, parents, Mendel found that the resulting F1 generation were heterozygous and consistent. The offspring showed a combination of the phenotypes from each parent that were genetically dominant. Mendel’s discoveries involving the F1 and F2 generations laid the foundation for modern genetics.

Cannabis Sativa X Cannabis Indica (formerly Cannabis sativa forma indica) = Hybrid
Cannabis Sativa X Cannabis Sativa = Cannabis Sativa (no hybrid)
Cannabis Indica X Cannabis Indica = Cannabis Indica (no hybrid)

The crossing of any "two Cultivars" DOES NOT make a "hybrid"...but the crossing of two different Cultivars of different parental types (such as an Indica dominant Northern Lights X Sativa dominant Haze) can result in "hybrid cultivar".

I conduct a large seed run (say 100 or so) and will select certain plants based on the plant's phenotype...aka "pheno" (growing characteristics including quality and quantity), and those plants reserved for production become my "cultivars" not "phenos".

My "cultivars" can change (due to the environment) and create a new "pheno"...but they can never create a new "genotype".

I take cuttings from my "cultivars" and root them...making what some call "clones"...but since I understand a little about genetics, I prefer to call them "cuttings'--just like most of the agricultural/horticultural world.

It seems when you add "stoner-ese" to product labels the price seems to double/triple. Example, "rooting solution" vs "cloning solution"; same active ingredient, just one is professionally labeled while the other is packaged with cartoon characters on the label...as if the target market were kids.

End of story...lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.