What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

California Has Too Much Weed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I understand North Korea is legal for pot. California looks more like it every day. Give you some rights to a simple plant and take everything else away.

Outlaws can experience what we went thru back in the premedical days. Want the bucks, well figure out risk to reward and go underground if you choose.

I still do not regret supporting 64. I am almost surprised government allowed as much home cultivation as they did. They are a bunch of takers, rarely generous except to themselves.

S

Scott64a

If things continue, they SHOULD stabilize once the suckers are weeded out and the scene unfolds for 20 years.

I mean... it's a WEED. It has the potential to grow a whole bunch per plant.
Maybe too much wed is bad for the growers, but wait til the futures market gets its talons into it and lobbyists can lurk the halls of government paying off politicians.

Still... the very best end-result is already here: An adult over 21 can grow, possess what they grow, (at home and some of it while out and about,) and nobody has to worry about getting busted. Maybe "paranoia" will be crossed off the list of side-effects finally, once everyone sees that they're not going to have to do time for having 5lbs of weed around that they grew.

:)

Floridian

Veteran
It's just a weed?When you're driving the interstates of northern Kansas and southern Nebraska along with a couple other states to a lesser extent,it is definitely a weed and nothing but a weed or a tree to be more accurate lol.When you're talking about high thc strains or cbd strains grown exclusively for some maladies and recreation,it's far from a weed.Damn I just saw the north korea comment,is it really legal there?You can grow and make a few dong lol off your fellow comrads?Really??Are you really comparing societies because erb is legal not that I believe that for a second but would that make a difference in your choice of lifestyle because of MJ?Damn I love the shit but if NK said come on over and you could smoke to your hearts content I'd probably have to ask what happens when you get the munchies lol!

S

Scott64a

It's just a weed?When you're driving the interstates of northern Kansas and southern Nebraska along with a couple other states to a lesser extent,it is definitely a weed and nothing but a weed or a tree to be more accurate lol.When you're talking about high thc strains or cbd strains grown exclusively for some maladies and recreation,it's far from a weed.Damn I just saw the north korea comment,is it really legal there?You can grow and make a few dong lol off your fellow comrads?Really??Are you really comparing societies because erb is legal not that I believe that for a second but would that make a difference in your choice of lifestyle because of MJ?Damn I love the shit but if NK said come on over and you could smoke to your hearts content I'd probably have to ask what happens when you get the munchies lol!

Still a version of ditch weed. Some strains even have ruderalis bred in.

In North Korea, it is not even classified as a drug!

FWIW... it's not legal to sell to your comrades, unless you own a medical shop. You know the kind: dried shark fin, cheetah penis, etc. Pyongyang frowns upon anyone making money outside of their system, and I'm sure the penalty is DEATH if you are caught acting like a guerilla grower and trying to get ahead in society by selling it to anyone without the government's say-so.

I get what you're saying about "just weed"' after all, it isn't even the same as it was 30 years ago. Still... it's not a crop that absolutely requires tons of open farmland, and isn't traded in the futures market -yet!

It will be, and then the real dicks will show up with gobs of cash to manipulate the market to suit their nefarious schemes.

Make my words: the dicks are everywhere and only getting worse.

Grow for yourself, be discreet and enjoy the legal weed wherever and whenever you can.
Pretty soon it'll all come crashing down any way, and some other civilization will rule the day, the same way things have gone since humans decided that living together in "civilizations" was even something to do.

New comes in, old goes out.
The US?

It's over, Johnny.

DocTim420

The Doctor is OUT and has moved on...
Observations from an old fucker--

Observations from an old fucker--

1. Cannabis quality is not homogeneous nor is the quality of every manicured bud "high quality". Quality varies drastically.
2. Those that grow top quality cannabis with high levels of flavors and aromas (potency is assumed) will always sell everything they produce, at fair or above fair prices.
3. 80/20 rule applies here. 80% of the cannabis produced in Cali is mediocre at best. 20% is off the chart and outshines anything grown by everybody else.
4. Those that grow the identical strains, identical technique, identical brand of nutrients/fertility, identical light spectrum...will have two competitive barriers to overcome: First barrier are "themselves" (other "identical" growers) and second barrier are growers that grow different strains, different technique, different nutrients/fertility, different light spectrum, etc. Kinda like a double 80/20 battle.
5. To survive and THRIVE in a competitive market, one must define your niche and be the best at it...a master of sorts. Otherwise, enjoy the "dog eat dog" world of the 80% marketplace.
6. Run big seed runs (25-100 seeds) and select the best cultivars to replace your "tired" genetics. Do this every year or two and one day, you should find yourself sitting in the 20% club.
7. Prepare for a price decrease when the outdoor shit hits the market this year. Some of the outdoor last year was marketed as "indoor"...it was that good.

S

Scott64a

1. Cannabis quality is not homogeneous nor is the quality of every manicured bud "high quality". Quality varies drastically.
2. Those that grow top quality cannabis with high levels of flavors and aromas (potency is assumed) will always sell everything they produce, at fair or above fair prices.
3. 80/20 rule applies here. 80% of the cannabis produced in Cali is mediocre at best. 20% is off the chart and outshines anything grown by everybody else.
4. Those that grow the identical strains, identical technique, identical brand of nutrients/fertility, identical light spectrum...will have two competitive barriers to overcome: First barrier are "themselves" (other "identical" growers) and second barrier are growers that grow different strains, different technique, different nutrients/fertility, different light spectrum, etc. Kinda like a double 80/20 battle.
5. To survive and THRIVE in a competitive market, one must define your niche and be the best at it...a master of sorts. Otherwise, enjoy the "dog eat dog" world of the 80% marketplace.
6. Run big seed runs (25-100 seeds) and select the best cultivars to replace your "tired" genetics. Do this every year or two and one day, you should find yourself sitting in the 20% club.
7. Prepare for a price decrease when the outdoor shit hits the market this year. Some of the outdoor last year was marketed as "indoor"...it was that good.

Good points.

To number 3... ever had Sour Diesel? Liberty Haze?!? Better than ANYONE ELSE?!?
Now, now... that may never even be established, let alone already BE established. I'd put Mexico, Guatemala, Colombia, Thailand, Vietnam, Nepal, Africa, China and Afghanistan ahead of CA before I claimed that it made better weed than anyone else.

The market in CA is already saturated... when the summer crops all hit the market, you'll all have weed coming out of your ears.
It'll be cheaper to wallpaper your rooms with buds than it will be to use actual wallpaper.

You can pick a nug off and smoke it, too. Can't do that with regular wallpaper... no suh

subrob

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Scott I read it as 20% is better than anything in the other 80%...could be wrong.
But at the same time I will put that 20% against any other place in the world

subrob

ICMag Donor
Veteran
And also...for alot of us here in Cali...our price never fluctuates. Doesn't matter how much crap the big guys puke out..of course we have a small op...but there are plenty of niche markets here in Cali.

S

Scott64a

He said, "80% of the cannabis produced in Cali is mediocre at best. 20% is off the chart and outshines anything grown by everybody else."

Saying, "in Cali" and following it with more info based off of the previous sentence sort of defines this.

Sure, CA has some of the best cannabis available, but I hesitate to say it's better than Amsterdam or even some old monk handrolling hash in Nepal.

IDK, I'm not really all that interested in this thread any more.
I stopped in because of the sensationalist headline, and well... it was all I expected; no more.

Hell, I'll never be anyone's regular customer at some store. I can grow all I need myself and I'll get good at it. My tomatoes are far better than anything I can buy in a store, too.

Just had a mater sammich this afternoon, in fact. No taxes paid on it, no markup, no pesticides that kill pollen spreaders, No nonsense, no dicks involved.

Well, only one... ME! LOL

I wasn't pissing in anyone's Cheerios, I was just making some light.

This thread was a "sky is falling' meme in painful slow-motion.

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
Hell, I'll never be anyone's regular customer at some store. I can grow all I need myself and I'll get good at it. My tomatoes are far better than anything I can buy in a store, too.

Just had a mater sammich this afternoon, in fact. No taxes paid on it, no markup, no pesticides that kill

I, for one, respect someone willing to plant and harvest grain, mill their own flour, and bake their own bread.

Just never actually met anyone who did!

:tiphat:

hayday

Veteran
Big plot twist in 50 years.
25a271d52ce7120d450a1b52e4f4b630--underground-comics-pink-paper.jpg

DocTim420

Let's discuss the 80/20 thing.

If you line up 10 samples of manicured buds and rate them, I submit the following:

1. About 2 (20%) will be stellar, gorgeous, most potent, clean, very "memorable" cannabis and after exhaling the smoke, words like, "wow, that's nice!" fall off the lips. Worthy of being an entrant in a cannabis cup competition. I call this top drawer.

2. Another 2-3 will be "pit-tui" quality, as in cough up a lung or two. You know all the characteristics of "newbie's" crop: funny odor, off color, loaded with nutes/ferts, harsh smoking and the traditional response of: "cough, cough, cough, what the fuck was that? cough, cough, cough, FUCK! Get that out of here!". I call this "below mediocre".

3. That leaves us with about five or six remaining samples and I suggest that at least 4 will be indistinguishable (unable to discern any difference between each other). Similar smoke, similar effect, perhaps a small variation in flavors and odor, nothing memorable but equal in all other respects. I call this mediocre at best.

4. There usually will be an odd ball or two, that will be stellar, BUT a certain defect, issue or lack of something disqualifies it from being in the top tier (20%) but it is still head and shoulders above the other mediocre buds. I call this above mediocre.

There you have it. My rationale for the 80/20 relationship in cannabis.

BTW, my last seed run (120 seeds) I was blessed with a killer Sour D cultivar that is head and shoulders above all others I ever had the pleasure of enjoying. Nice citrus-like odor and aroma with a hint of "petroleum" (in a good way), exhale smoke flavor is same as inhale flavor, fast rooter, fast grower, branches beautifully, nice stretch, not a fussy pussy, buds cover every inch of the branch, and when my other seed run testers produced about 60-75 grams per plant, this one blessed me with over 100 grams of medium sized nugs, all covered in sugar and super sticky. She is replacing a tired Afghan I got a few years ago from seeds a buddy gave me--whose brother was a UN Observer in Afghanistan. Hate to lose her, but she did me well and it is time to move on.

Replace an old 20% plant with a new 20% plant...and let others grow the 80% plants is how I roll. Don't be afraid to cull mediocrity.

BTW, I think the 80/20 relationship can be applied to any locality. 80% of the cannabis grown in Amsterdam will be mediocre...with the top 20% being off the chart, stellar, worthy of a cannabis cup competition. The 80/20 relationship is just a rule of thumb, not an absolute formula...but a handy tool to use. In the past 60+ years, I can say the 80/20 relationship is more valid in its application than not...80% of your revenue comes from 20% of your customers, 20% of your employees are responsible for 80% of the company's output, 20% of your plants are responsible for 80% of your "problems".

Last edited:

DocTim420

Sorry for the back to back posts, but seeing Hayday's cartoon reminded me what we did back in days of that great weed famine of '69...smoked banana peels.

The recipe was originally published in The Berkeley Barb (home of the original "free speech movement") sometime in 1967 or 1968 (I got the recipe sometime in 1969)
180c51s39293mjpg.jpg

And later published in the infamous The Anarchist Cookbook which is reproduced below
180c0ffsc943ijpg.jpg

Confession: Yes I tried the recipe and did I get high? I think so. Was it a "real high" real or a "placebo high"? Back then I am sure I thought it was "real", but looking back today...lol, I say I was snookered. LOL.

hayday

Veteran
They called it mello yellow...
I remember every year in the early 70's always having to really search for weed. Around August there was none to be found but occasionally imported hash would appear.

Seems crazy to me that cannabis is still illegal but it's so abundant everywhere.
Cali weed is all over Texas. Most people don't even bother to grow because it's so cheap.

St. Phatty

BTW, I think the 80/20 relationship can be applied to any locality

The 80-20 rule is popular in Silicon Valley too.

One of the early Whiz Kids in the wireless industry (though he was about 60 at the time) told me in the early 1980's about the 80-20 rule.

It was just office conversation between a young geek and an old geek.

He could cite countless examples (of the 80-20 rule) off the top of his head.

DocTim420

Think bell shaped curve
414172_14834676100032_rId11.jpg

When graphed, a minimum of 7 items will normally form a bell shaped curve.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
1. About 2 (20%) will be stellar, gorgeous, most potent, clean, very "memorable" cannabis and after exhaling the smoke, words like, "wow, that's nice!" fall off the lips. Worthy of being an entrant in a cannabis cup competition. I call this top drawer.
LOL, this brings up a distinct memory. You're definitely spot on with your reasoning.

I was standing outside a gas station, near Buena Vista, and took a couple tokes. The guy next to me turns with a shocked expression on his face and says... "Holy shit! The exhale from that smells awesome!" lol :tiphat:

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
i was asking the wife what she would do for smoke should i pass, and she said "i guess i'd have to start buying at the rec stores."

(w)rec stores have been open since July 2014 (WA) and i have yet to darken their doors...meaning i am certain that my monies are not paying for incarceration of cannabis users.

legalization has produced new governing entities that must be supported through the 'sin tax' of cannabis consumption.

i recommend boycotting if you're able to grow, bypassing the middle men that governance has installed to increase taxation through each level of transference.

to each his own, i guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.