What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

California Has Too Much Weed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DocTim420

The Doctor is OUT and has moved on...
"Strains"? What is that, stoner-ese for cultivars?

LOL, the term "strain" is used throughout agriculture to describe variations of the same plant...like wine & grapes. There are hundreds of different grape "strains" or "varietals" (term preferred by the oenologist crowd)...you know, names like Cabernet Sauvignon and wine Sauvignon Blanc. Cabernet Sauvignon grapes make Cabernet Sauvignon wine...but those grapes can not make Sauvignon Blanc wine. Each wine is sourced from a particular grape "strain" or blend of different grape "strains".

In our wacky world of weed...we basically have 3 churches:

Indica (broad leaf), Sativa (narrow leaf) and Hemp. Within each "church" there are a number of variations or "pews"--which we call "strains"--as depicted by this figure from Cannabis Genomic Research Initiative (CGRI).
picture.php

Strain names in Green are Indica, Blue are Sativa and Yellow are Hemp. Each "strain" can produce numerous phenotypes some similar to each other...and some distinctly different.

Example, the "strain" we call "Cheese" is basically a "phenotype" of Skunk#1. Not all Skunk#1's are "Cheese"...some are, but not all. Let's say I did a seed run of Skunk #1 and I am looking plants having that special "Cheese" attribute....(this we call "pheno hunt). Now, suppose I found a dozen "cheese phenos" but only one of has superior quality and greater yields than the other "phenos". Then that particular plant becomes my "cultivar"...that special "keeper" which I am going to exploit. The other "cheese phenos" rejects are not my "keeper".

Phew, hope this helps guys! I know sometimes we get stuck on "lingo" and "stoner-ese" to describe what we do and see, but imo, there is nothing wrong learning and using correct word usage; it helps reduce confusion--especially when conversing with people outside our world of cannabis.

Stoners are not stupid!...just a little lazy (and I resemble this remark...lol!)

Last edited:
Now, suppose I found a dozen "cheese phenos" but only one of has superior quality and greater yields than the other "phenos". Then that particular plant becomes my "cultivar"
Maybe one day if the moon, and all the other planets (including that dwarf demoted one) all align for an eclipse of the sun, then we might start calling our prized phenos "cultivars". But I wouldn't be holding your breath if I were you.. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.