What's new

cali strain scene washed up, what do people want

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
It seems every harvest (2 months) the price gets knocked a few bucks.

It was 3600 - 3800 for a while (i remember being being shocked b/c it broke the 4000 threshold which was always a fantasy back east, those # got to 5600 for some dutch passion)

then it was 3400 - 3600... ummm ok... i guess i'll take that.. <--- bad move.

then it was 3200 ish

i swear we are looking at 3k to move top shelf fast.

i know exactly what your saying. shit i was paying 38- 4k for top shelf Sour and Dark Purps (back when they were popular) in San Fran a few years ago..breaking them fuckers all the way down to 1200 a Q 60 an 8th out in the 925. then people started taking advantage of the high paying 925 crowd and prices fell down out there..so growers gotta lower their prices too. its all kinda relative to the breakdown markets....if kids on the street cant push your buds for at least 40 an 8th, then the zip dealers cant charge 250, and the pound dealers cant charge 3600.

but yeah right now, im still paying up to mid threes for high grade non purps..purps are usually cheaper nowadays because they are so commercialized. for 3 flat i can get good indoor but its not that flashy, just good frosty bud, but not knock your pants off good.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
i'm glad, i thought you were too much a grower to really
want to taint your garden with these noob plants, i say noob
plants 'cause only a noob would want to lose all control and
be forced to start from seed every single grow, no clones,
no mothers, just seeds!

that'd be a great world to be a seedmaker, lol.

peace, SOG

I am wondering where all these great clones came from?
You have any idea? If no one grew seeds there would be no new clones, wise up.

-SamS

K1ndBudz

I have been out here in the foothills since birth and never seen anything actually move for more than 35, and were talking the growers head stash. Everything else is super cheap, like between 1 and 15. We have always had more weed than $$$ in the area. Folk out here have turned to bartering for everyday goods, like grocery's. I guess things might be a tab bit different by the water though.

bigbag

Veteran
Cannatonic from Resin Seeds is otherworldly, genetics are MK-Ultra x G-13/Haze. some good pots right there, imo. also 6.92% CBD at the 2009 Spannabis ! am impressed with the quality to say the least, props

Natagonnaworrie

If you love life, don't waste time. For time is wh
Veteran
btw Yes4Prop215 - if you guys are paying 3 then its going for 32 down here. The markets are have stabilized in that regard. It used to be way out of balance.

..there are a lot of people willing to drive N & S for 100 a P or less

Rainman

The revolution will not be televised.....
Veteran
I always say if you have a good Purp in your arsenal you will never go broke. Especially if you can get it dialed in. GDP or Purple Kush win all day if done rite. Hate all you want but it flies off the shelf. The kushes are newer to the scene and demand more. Problem is it easy to grow a closet full of kush and keep a good stash for you and friends but I dont think alot of folks understand what it takes to really grow and produce enough quality work to pay the bills.

The Cali scene is great for the smoker and terrible for the growers. You wont get rich doing this in Cali anymore. If you want to make a killing then you gotta go to a state that isnt legel and open as ours. That simple. Find a state and do it like we were 10 years ago in total secret and obscurity. The cats doin it like that are gettin that 10 years ago money easy.

I mean if you are in it for that of course.

Greenmopho

I just got back from Oakland this morning. Wholesale prices are struggling right now out there, while retail prices have stayed the same or gone up. I actually went into a "high end" dispensary when I was out there, and it looked like the same old mostly. Trainwreck, Urkle, Something diesel, etc. They did however have a Colorado bred strain as the top shelf (not chemdawg)! Which made me feel proud!!!

This is happening in CO as well. However there are new hybrids popping up in dispensaries everywhere, every day! Recently I have been noticing a strain circling the clubs called pink pez... at least people are getting creative... or they are lacking... I have been producing quality harvests for a while now (over my noob days) and I cant move any of it to save my life... the occasional bag here and there is about all I can move... No elbows, not even quarters... people just are not buying in bulk anymore. It would be wise for all of us growers to slow up the supply to create demand. It seems like all alot of novice growers care about anymore is quantity, which I "was" guilty for as well up until a couple grows ago. The fall of inflation and greedy prices is upon us growers, unless we do something about it, so lets do just that!

I think that Pez has been around Colorado for a while, bro. The dip in the market here in Colorado has been because of the new law that passed. Before July 1st, I was still getting good prices for my product, 3.6k+, I even got 4k for some of my best at one spot! 1284 and all the hype has scared people from purchasing, and the dispensaries capitalize on the fear and try to devaluate all product across the board, regardless of quality. Also, the problem that is being expressed in this thread in Cali is bleeding over into the Colorado mmj scene. There is tons of surplus indoor and outdoor Cali buds around Colorado being sold as CO homegrown. With the Cali outdoor harvest around the corner, and the deadlines for the new DOR regulations, we will see even more Cali outdoor getting unloaded around our state. No offense to you Cali guys, you guys were innovators for years and fought the good fight, but you scene is getting a bit washed up, much like how the Dutch have been for a while. And CO is hurting because of it, since this is the 1st stop for all Cali surplus, its undercutting our prices here. I get the feeling that there is some urgency that the Cali scene is coming to a close as far as being profitable for little guys. Big warehouses are taking over with big corporate interests, so there is a sense of lost hope. Everyone is just scrambling to squeeze out whatever money they can out of what ever little time they have to do so...

I've seen Cali guys lurking on the MMJ threads peeping our strains. I will admit that the Colorado scene is becoming a new frontier for hot strains, mostly due to the MMJ scene, but I think also the Chemdawg legend has now traversed the world, thanks guys like Rez. So as far as genetics go, the world is looking at Colorado right now. We got some great stuff here, like Golden Goat or Bruce Banner. Not to mention we are in the middle of the country, so we are somewhat of a crossroads of West Coast, Canadian, and East Coast genetics.

I think the economy has a lot to do with the price you can get.People just don`t have the dough these days so they settle for mid grade to save money.There also seems to be more and more people growing but most of the stuff is low to mid grade.And yes you can get a better price on the east coast but I just don`t have good conections out there.

Fuck the east coast. The east coast will pay high prices for everything, but if you are in a med state, you are fucking yourself by selling/smuggling illegally. I know thats where the money is at, but IMHO, you just gotta step your game up and come with some new strains. Clone-only elites make pollen chucking much more successful, as you can have that prized select female as your P1.

And I agree, the recession in our economy plays a role. Non growers and novice smokers don't usually have the $$$ to just pay top dollar, even if it is top quality.

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
yea the recession kinda hits, but thats why cheap outdoors are perfect for budget smokers. theres still always gonna be high rollers, smokers with money to blow. from trust fund college kids to corporate smokers, to growers even hah. i know a couple commercial growers who come buy good headstash smoke because they are so tired of their purple crops.

g0vnaa

ICE Cream eater
Veteran
I am wondering where all these great clones came from?
You have any idea? If no one grew seeds there would be no new clones, wise up.

-SamS

Aren`t you going to release something new Sam ?
Have quit breeding..
You will make many people have if you release something new :cathug:

erbium

Shouldn't people be happy that medical herb has gone down in price? Shouldn't it be affordable to the people who are the sickest?

Karma rules

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I love Growing from seed it's always a surprise whether your in for a big treat. You have your proven moms to grow and enjoy but I always grow out seeds. I also dont see the long flowering sativas on the shelf. people just cant wait until there done and pick them to early.

JOJO420

Veteran
Well, funny thing is, what I'm sittin on is GDP x Skunk#1. Frosty, stinky, nice n stoney. Cause it ain't kush, it ain't movin. I just cannot bring myself to misrepresent my product. I guess i will have to smoke it all myself,lol

D

Dalaihempy

Cali has some great growers and lines the prices being payed for these alleged kush were comical do some of you really expect people to keep paying such prices for mj think agine when Cali finally does become free you will find good quality meds offered at a resnuble price and there will always be a market but if every ones selling the same produce well the lowest prices of that will sell sooner.

There will be lots of people that will always rather pay for it than grow it them selfs just like fruit and veg now the smart growers that will grow quality and well lines the rest don't have will be making the money those that well keep growing the same clone 100s also do will get the crumbs i cant waght for the growers in the shadows to come out and well dominate the market and push these elitists out.

ronbo51

Veteran
This is all very interesting, and very predictable. The "market" always knows and is merciless. It does not matter what you grow or what you sell. The market dictates price and it doesn't care what your costs are, what your strain is, how much care you give, what kind of sandals you wear, or who you vote for. A decade ago I grew medicinal and gourmet mushrooms commercially. A niche market right? Grow the best and get top dollar right? Wrong. The market was set by the most efficient growers, period. And the most efficient producers will hammer prices down to the pennies and leave the unprepared in the dust. That's how the big boys work, and its how all markets work. What is the cheapest that a pound of top quality can be produced and sold at a profit? Thats what the price will be if enough competition is allowed. I think pot prices can go easily below 1K per#, eventually. Furthermore i believe there is great danger lurking for growers due to indiscriminate cloning and cut swapping. Genetic material is being exposed to all manner of potential problems on account of this sloppy practice. Cuts are already infected with root aphids, which are controllable, now, but as they get exposed to haphazard controls and ineffective pest management they lurk, ready to explode. Also viruses are showing up in cuts. TMV is becoming prevalent in traded cuts. Viruses are forever. I had to abandon my mushroom grow due to a virus I could not overcome. Viruses are almost impossible for the lay person to ID until they are hopelessly infected. It is one thing to have a grow infected. It is quite another for the genetic stock to be infected. If growers are not more disciplined about bringing clones into their grows a catastrophe is surely waiting. If I was Emperor I would ban clone trading. It is a disaster waiting to ruin everything. I know this is not a popular idea, but all growers should return to seeds and develop their own keepers and manage their own genetics before some horrible marijuana super flue comes in and wipes out a large swath of growing.
Marijuana is just a plant. Growing it on a large scale concentrates the risks. Every disease and pest that would love to live in Cannabis but has never had enough access to really get going looks at all these rows of trees out in Cali and says ,"I'm home".

Thundurkel

Just Call me Urkle!!
Veteran
It is a bit ridiculous here in Cali I'm just above the bay and my city is the first stop from the triangle usually so we've ALWAYS had the fire here. But the scene has gone crazy over the last 3 years and it's pretty fucked up for clubs to lowball growers and give them no more than 2800-3000 and then sell the shit as 8ths n 1/4s only at $60-$100.. BUT!!! I will say I have friends that are purps growers cuz the shit sells itself and quality purps fetches 36 for a whole one. Then there is my Chem/Kush grower friends who get 38-46 when everybody else is getting 32 tops so I think it's about your skills more than anything right now. That and staying up on your game with strains and look for a special version of what's popular that not many in your area have. My purps are Sugar Cane Kush and Magic Merlin then I have Strawberry Diesel for my diesel strain and I have some new shit coming which from the guy it's coming from they will be top shelfer's not shit you can go to the club and buy cuts of....

I say go with some Sugar Cane Kush!
attachment.php

attachment.php

SCK 8 weeks

Or find Cherry Kush if you are lucky enough!
attachment.php

attachment.php

CK 8 weeks

Attachments

• 2010 Grow 2 391.jpg
    2010 Grow 2 391.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 2010 Grow 2 386.jpg
    2010 Grow 2 386.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 13
  • Cherry Kush n Snowdog 038.jpg
    Cherry Kush n Snowdog 038.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 16
  • Cherry Kush n Snowdog 041.jpg
    Cherry Kush n Snowdog 041.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 21

Thundurkel

Just Call me Urkle!!
Veteran
LISTEN to The Man,fer' chrissakes!

I took that advice a while that's how I got my musky grape jolly rancher pheno of Sugar Cane Kush... After that I've come to like cracking beans and have quite a few packs to mess with :tiphat: Gonna get me a Chemdog IBL pack pretty soon too! That will be fun to look for a keeper or keeper's :dance013:

REZDOG

Veteran
what kind of sour d would we have right now if the wooks had picked from a pool of 100 or a 1,000 sour d seedlings?

Well,Burt,thankfully we only needed the one Sour Diesel Clone.
I see what you mean though,it certainly would have been nice to get a bunch of ECSD Moms to select from initially,perhaps one could have been selected that didn't have the sensitivities that the ECSD Clone shows from time to time.
Funny,though.... I've intentionally stressed half a dozen ECSD Clones over the past year,using erratic light cycles and pH spikes,among other things,and I haven't seen a nanner during ANY of it. Go figure,it must take a real fucked up environment to get the ECSD Clone to reverse.
I know plenty of people that get in/@ $6K/lb. in the USA,I guess it just depends on the area,the economy,and the overall quality.

Cheers!

. . . .

S

Smoke Buddy

Im sure allot of the Sour D here in clubs is either Rez's IBL or related to his work. I am still trying to find the actual ECSD but the latest SD contender I got is def NOT it and in fact it isnt even as good as my worse SDIBL I ever grew. Anyhow, I will be "donating" some Galadriel cuts to a chosen club in sacramento in the next few months once I straighhten out which one is worthy.
peace :rasta

Latest posts

Latest posts