What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Bud rot setting in- Cut 'em or leave 'em?

weedobix

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Had to throw away my 2 outdoor la confidentials this year, absolutely riddled with rot. Nearly everyday for the last month i picked a handful of rot off only for it to be replaced with more the next day. They were nearly finished too.

Sucks, next year im going to run something lanky.

FinestKind

Nickmode Good luck my friend! Part of the problem is my plants aren't that big to begin with, so I can't afford to lose too much to rot... if they were huge, I think I'd be willing to risk some more time, but I kept it modest this year.

Panoramical One thing I've read recently (and it makes perfect sense) is: the healthier your plants are going in, the more resistant they are going to be. Mine were having some issues (I still don't know what exactly (you can see this link https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=186328 if you are interested- they have far fewer fan leaves than that now), maybe yours are good and healthy and ready for the fight?

weedobix Sorry to hear that, man- that's why I'm cutting them early, although really they aren't that early, they have a nice sugary coating on them...

drpressure600 I've heard it both ways with the milk... it makes sense in theory, then again so doesn't potassium bicarbonate, which people walked all over when it came up in another one of my threads. I tend to go with the people who say "there's nothing that can be done." On the other hand, I do have one more outside, and perhaps I'll give it a go if the need arrises...

Thanks again everyone- here's wishing everyone a dry and humidity-free rest of the growing season- good f'n luck!

FK

danks

cut off the big top buds and anything rotting leave middle nugs and bottoms as they probably wont rot.

phrike

I've been pretty concerned about mold here. We've had lots of rain, cool temps and high humidity for most of the last 2 weeks.

My yard and forest are chock full of various mushrooms and other fungi. So far on the pot plants, all I've seen is one small dead moldy leaf that was isolated on one of my 3 forest plants.

I heard an aspirin or two in a feeding is supposed to help prevent mold. I've been doing that for the last few feedings over the last several weeks. Also add a bit of SuperThrive.

When needed, I go out at least once a day (or late night) to shake any rain off of all the buds. I give all branches a vigorous shake, first from the center, then from the edges.

So far, so good, fingers crossed.

Panoramical

I've been pretty concerned about mold here. We've had lots of rain, cool temps and high humidity for most of the last 2 weeks.

My yard and forest are chock full of various mushrooms and other fungi. So far on the pot plants, all I've seen is one small dead moldy leaf that was isolated on one of my 3 forest plants.

I heard an aspirin or two in a feeding is supposed to help prevent mold. I've been doing that for the last few feedings over the last several weeks. Also add a bit of SuperThrive.

When needed, I go out at least once a day (or late night) to shake any rain off of all the buds. I give all branches a vigorous shake, first from the center, then from the edges.

So far, so good, fingers crossed.

I've not even fed mine for two weeks, considering they've been getting more than enough water from the clouds.

The daily care you've described is what I should be doing. I checked mine last night and came home with a few small mouldy buds. I'll be doing your daily shake technique from now on.

Another thing I'll be doing from now is, covering them over at night if there is rain forecast and uncover them in the morning. Otherwise I can see myself saying "goodbye" to all the hard work.

GIVE ME DRY WEATHER!!! PLEASE!!!

Good luck Phrike and thanks for the tips

Finestkind: Have you tried Greencure?- you mentioned potassium bicarbonate. I got some last year, I think it can help to keep the mold away after you clip out the sites of initial attack- but ime its no cure. If mixed too strong it can fry plants too, which is actually worse than a little mold, so use it at half the recommended dose. But worth trying. I've used Serenade last year and the year before, not sure if that prevented that much or not- still had some mold. Some plants more than others- makes me think its all in the genes. Didn't spray them with anything this year and less mold problems than last year- different strain. Good Luck fighting the moldy scourge.
peace

phrike

I've not even fed mine for two weeks, considering they've been getting more than enough water from the clouds.

The daily care you've described is what I should be doing. I checked mine last night and came home with a few small mouldy buds. I'll be doing your daily shake technique from now on.

Another thing I'll be doing from now is, covering them over at night if there is rain forecast and uncover them in the morning. Otherwise I can see myself saying "goodbye" to all the hard work.

GIVE ME DRY WEATHER!!! PLEASE!!!

Good luck Phrike and thanks for the tips

I've had the same issue pretty much all the last 2/3rds of the summer with rain providing all the water they need. Medium never really drys out. So I've mostly just been hitting them with more concentrated nutes and letting the rain provide the water.

Possibly it would help if the grow bags were smaller, but the plants ARE bigger than the bags.

I've been considering covering the plants but have read that's a tricky thing to do. Anywhere the plants touch plastic mold will have a tendency to take hold from condensation and the plastic can sometimes encourage mold by keeping ventilation low.

If I see any problems starting and I don't want to harvest yet, I will be trying the 10:1 ratio of water to skim milk technique. My understanding is you can spray the buds and whole plants but this should be done during the day when warmth and sun have at least an hour to help evaporate the mixture.

All in all tricky stuff this mold for those of us in colder, wetter areas. Best of luck to you and all in fighting the fungi... :)

FinestKind

Finestkind: Have you tried Greencure?- you mentioned potassium bicarbonate. I got some last year, I think it can help to keep the mold away after you clip out the sites of initial attack- but ime its no cure. If mixed too strong it can fry plants too, which is actually worse than a little mold, so use it at half the recommended dose. But worth trying. I've used Serenade last year and the year before, not sure if that prevented that much or not- still had some mold. Some plants more than others- makes me think its all in the genes. Didn't spray them with anything this year and less mold problems than last year- different strain. Good Luck fighting the moldy scourge.
peace

That's what I meant. I actually ordered some, and then a bunch of people in my other thread (which is here: https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=189346) started laying into the stuff, saying it doesn't work. I actually had it shipped to the wrong address by accident, so I just let it go back to the company, figuring I'd stick with Serenade for the rest of this grow, and look into it some more next year.

FinestKind

cut off the big top buds and anything rotting leave middle nugs and bottoms as they probably wont rot.

I think that's going to be my final solution. Although I have noticed a little bit of rot on some of the lower buds, too. I think I'm going to risk one of my smaller ones for comparison's sake and leave it out for a couple of more weeks- it's also supposed to get below freezing here this weekend, and it is far easier to take care of 1 or 2 in those conditions than 6 or 7. But I do want to see how much of a difference I get allowing some more time. I am also going to take some more pictures on Friday, which will be a week from the ones at the beginning of this post, to see the difference.

NickMode

So we have gotten a shitload of rain today. By tonight were supposed to have gotten 7 inches!!! DAMN.

Anyways my question is its supposed to look not so bad out for the rest of the week.. Weather.com actually says 40% chance of rain mon-sat. Accuweather says no rain next week except for one day.. hmm.. anyways is this 7 in of rain on one day just as bad as a few days of rain? Im not sure if i want to chop or not.

phrike

So we have gotten a shitload of rain today. By tonight were supposed to have gotten 7 inches!!! DAMN.

Anyways my question is its supposed to look not so bad out for the rest of the week.. Weather.com actually says 40% chance of rain mon-sat. Accuweather says no rain next week except for one day.. hmm.. anyways is this 7 in of rain on one day just as bad as a few days of rain? Im not sure if i want to chop or not.

I think my weather forecast is similar. If one could choose I think it's always better to have lots of rain on one day instead of lighter rains for several days. Presuming the heavy rain doesn't damage the plants.

At the end of the one day you can shake/dry the plants off. And the other days will presumably see sun so that's good for plant growth as well as preventing or killing off mold.

I've been pulling a few buds from my plants the last few days. Started with lower, smaller, inner growth. Now I'm pulling a few buds from locations where they touch other buds. Mold chance should be reduced and sunlight will be able to better reach the remaining bud.

Seriously, consider partial harvests, starting small and where mold/rot seems more likely.

I've been noticing some troubling signs on my plants today. There seems to be some rot starting (mushy leaves) where I've pulled parts of leaves off and leave part still on. Where I see that I just pull the rest of the leaf off. Will try to avoid pulling half leaves now.

I think I may start trying the skim milk 10% solution tomorrow. October means the chopper searches should be pretty much or just about over, (Yay!)

NickMode

I think my weather forecast is similar. If one could choose I think it's always better to have lots of rain on one day instead of lighter rains for several days. Presuming the heavy rain doesn't damage the plants.

At the end of the one day you can shake/dry the plants off. And the other days will presumably see sun so that's good for plant growth as well as preventing or killing off mold.

I've been pulling a few buds from my plants the last few days. Started with lower, smaller, inner growth. Now I'm pulling a few buds from locations where they touch other buds. Mold chance should be reduced and sunlight will be able to better reach the remaining bud.

Seriously, consider partial harvests, starting small and where mold/rot seems more likely.

I've been noticing some troubling signs on my plants today. There seems to be some rot starting (mushy leaves) where I've pulled parts of leaves off and leave part still on. Where I see that I just pull the rest of the leaf off. Will try to avoid pulling half leaves now.

I think I may start trying the skim milk 10% solution tomorrow. October means the chopper searches should be pretty much or just about over, (Yay!)
ahh yeah good advice. I will def do partial harvests. I have some jock horror running and also some Maui wowi. Jock needs like 2 weeks more and maui wowi i dont even know. maybe 3ish.

Whats the skim milk solution?

I suggest taking what you think would be decent smoke, and trying to let the premature stuff finish. To me it's better to have some smoke than none, and even better if some of it is actually finished. So, half in, half out is my suggestion. So far people on the street seem to like my premature uncured bud...which surprises me.

hash head

The bud rot definitely isnt going to get any better.. even with dry weather... if it stay dry it may not spread, but imho the longer you leave it on the plant the more damage and spreading will occur.

dagobaker

here is what i did last year
cut out the mold
then take 50% alcohol in a spray bottle and spray the area
it will kill the spores and it wont harm the bud like chemicals
then u need to check them every single day for more
this year i planted mold resistant strains
ams and the church

ghostly

im up in the pnw... its been gross lately. i cut out all the mold i could fine and was generous with the cut. weather will hold for another week.

even the early finishers got it due to so much rain the first 2 weeks of sept.
i wont grow OD here again without cover.

FinestKind

Well, the remnants of that tropical storm really did us in, huh, everyone on the east coast from Florida to Maine? :) We got just shy of 4 inches of rain since yesterday... and it's still raining now. Fortunately, my girls were all in 10 gallon pots- not a lot of fun to move around, but it was doable. I moved them all into a trailer on my property, which now smells like a family of skunks moved into it- a good sign!

The sun is supposed to return tomorrow, but it's supposed to get down to near freezing every night for the next 5 days. Ahh, fall in northern New England. I don't know why I bother doing an outdoor project at all.

FK

Latest posts

Latest posts