What's new

Botrytis!

FinestKind

Well, well, well... it's that time of year again.... yes, the rot is back. But I've got just a teeny tiny little bit of it showing up on a couple of buds. I've been treating with Serenade all summer (which I am beginning to lose faith in), and I've got maybe 2 weeks until harvest. My question is, what should I do? I understand that by cutting out the rot, it is just releasing spores into the air, which could then infect other buds. But I don't want to just let it go, either. Anyone have any tricks they use for "early onset budrot"?? Thanks...

FK

FinestKind

Whats your details on conditions of the grow? Outside?

Oh! Yes. Sorry.

Outdoor grow, the weather all summer has been dry and hot (N.E. USA), the weather looks nice for at least another week.... mmm... they are are in pots, not in the ground (10 gallon pots)... I think that's it!

C

cvk

Serenade sucks! Use Green Cure "potassium bicarbonate" and that will take care of it immediately. Next year you make sure you include plenty of potassium with your fertilizer regime. Keep in mind though that too much potassium can lock out nitrogen,calcium and mag in you soil or hydro solution. I start using meta k by earth juice when plants start flowering to strenghthen their immune systems so they can fight off botrytis and pm.
Hope this helps and good luck with your grow.

C

cvk

Oh btw, you can use up to the day of harvest. Before you harvest you may want to give your plants/buds a quick rinse. Potassium bicarbonate treatment is like spraying your plants with water and baking soda which I think is sodium bicarbonate. I spray my buds right at the top of the buds and I try to get the spray nozzle right into the bud to get to the stem.

DIGITALHIPPY

Veteran
Oh btw, you can use up to the day of harvest. Before you harvest you may want to give your plants/buds a quick rinse. Potassium bicarbonate treatment is like spraying your plants with water and baking soda which I think is sodium bicarbonate. I spray my buds right at the top of the buds and I try to get the spray nozzle right into the bud to get to the stem.

i just lost 1500$+ due to advice like this.

DO NOt! spray green cure while harvesting!
wait for the fucking shit to dry...
dont clip-n-spray....
itll kill the smell and make ur shit all dark, old books smell..
turn top shelf into garbage.

ironicaly ... waiting for it to dry then harv.. its okay, not primo but works.
for pm, botrytis u need to get to alot sooner. rot from the middle

FinestKind

Cool, thanks for the advice... like I said I'd been getting a funny feeling that Serenade doesn't do it's job, especially since I followed the instructions to the T this year, from very early on, and I've still got the beginning of rot.

I've heard Potassium Bicarbonate works pretty good, I'll go get me some ASAP. Thanks!

G

Goodkarma

Mandala has a new site up that addresses mold, If the buds are really dense you may have to do elective surgery to the bud to let some of the moisture out, I have stopped watering my Deep Chunks a couple weeks ago

FinestKind

Mandala has a new site up that addresses mold, If the buds are really dense you may have to do elective surgery to the bud to let some of the moisture out, I have stopped watering my Deep Chunks a couple weeks ago

Hey thanks, do you have a link to that site by any chance?

FK

You probably over treated your plants with serenade. If you were going for preventative measure then sulfur burning or spraying is better. The potassium Bicarbonate works but I find only effective in vegetative or early flowering stage and the leaves need to be wiped with cotton pads or those makeup square sponge pads. Actinovate is similar to serenade in that it is a bacteria that eats the PM/Boytritis.
I live near the coast and its very wet here. I just had to pull down a few plants because they had mold on them. One being very premature and the other almost mature tops and some getting there bottoms. The mold will spread if you clip it out or if you dont do anything about it. I would rather have premature then a moldy mess.

grapeman

Veteran
Serenade sucks! Use Green Cure "potassium bicarbonate" and that will take care of it immediately. Next year you make sure you include plenty of potassium with your fertilizer regime. Keep in mind though that too much potassium can lock out nitrogen,calcium and mag in you soil or hydro solution. I start using meta k by earth juice when plants start flowering to strenghthen their immune systems so they can fight off botrytis and pm.
Hope this helps and good luck with your grow.

:/

here we go again with the milk/k-bicarbonate baloney.

Serenade is a fair product. It is used mostly for mildew and it's strongest suit is that it is organic (it's just a competing beneficial fungi) and that it can be used by us fruit growers up to, and including the day of harvest.

Get a proper fungicide. If I had botrytis pressure, I would use "Pristine", which has a duel action. It works against PM and Botrytis.

Using fucking milk/k-bicarbonate is NOT a preventative and it is also a piss poor strategy.

FinestKind

:/

here we go again with the milk/k-bicarbonate baloney.

Serenade is a fair product. It is used mostly for mildew and it's strongest suit is that it is organic (it's just a competing beneficial fungi) and that it can be used by us fruit growers up to, and including the day of harvest.

Get a proper fungicide. If I had botrytis pressure, I would use "Pristine", which has a duel action. It works against PM and Botrytis.

Using fucking milk/k-bicarbonate is NOT a preventative and it is also a piss poor strategy.

Hmmm.... how about k-bicarbonate as a treatment? And I gotta say, Serenade doesn't seem to work for me. I mean, maybe I would have bud rot WORSE if I didn't use it, but I've still got it, which just pisses me off to no end. Driest summer on record and still with the rot.

What is Pristine exactly? Chemical/organic?

FinestKind

For that matter, should I even TRY to treat the rot? It seems like it's just a losing battle... and a lot of people say that by disturbing the spores by trying to remove it, you are doing more harm than good... advice?

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
we have used greencure and our experience is ...it sux's..its... useless...

we have not found anything that cures/stops or slows down rot... and having grown well over a dozen diff beans over the last few years, 'every plant' has developed rot...some in mid sept, some a week or so later, but we have not yet found a varierty that is immune... i hate rot...

who has tried using aspirin?

"1 bayer aspiring per gallon of water, start using this water once flowering is 3-4 weeks in.... keep using till harvest, your plants will not mold"

that is ROUGHLY what i read years ago on an overgrow archive. who has ACTUALLY tried this? i dont care about your opinion :)p :D) i want solid proof :)

FinestKind

we have used greencure and our experience is ...it sux's..its... useless...

we have not found anything that cures/stops or slows down rot... and having grown well over a dozen diff beans over the last few years, 'every plant' has developed rot...some in mid sept, some a week or so later, but we have not yet found a varierty that is immune... i hate rot...

Glad I just spent $20 (with S&H) on 1/2 pound then. So, what's to do? Just ride it out? Harvest early? Cut out the rot? Treat with something else?

Also, see this link for my actual grow:
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=189893

Thanks everyone for your time and input... I really do appreciate it all!

FK

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
Glad I just spent $20 (with S&H) on 1/2 pound then. So, what's to do? Just ride it out? Harvest early? Cut out the rot? Treat with something else?
Also, see this link for my actual grow:
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=189893
Thanks everyone for your time and input... I really do appreciate it all!FK

pick early, cut out the rot n continue the grow.. tough call..

last year our snow dog was the 1st to go around the 20th of sept... we first started to cut out the rot, but every few days there was more of it, so finally at the end of sept cut it down... lost 90% of the crop, and ofcourse what was savaged was no way near ready to be picked.

the next plants to start to show rot was the strawberry diesel/kill bill/ and ssh's... all started a week or so after the snow dog, and again started to cut out the rot, but it just keeps spreading , so they too were picked in early oct...again way too early...

interestingly the last to rot were some sour diesels , and those buds were dense, but once it started, we immed cut em... around the oct 10th... waaaay to early..

by the by we also have tried playing with the ph, asprins/milk... etc... i get the feeling with any of these sprays, u are just adding to the moisture already trappe in the bud...

wish we could be more help....sorry...

Latest posts

Latest posts