What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Bud rot setting in- Cut 'em or leave 'em?

g_money

some one brought it up earlier, but anyone have experience with bud rot spreading during drying? i was growing guerilla no signs of any mold or rot early. was only able to visit on a limited basis. when i went to harvest my biggest girl had completely fallen over ( we had a couple bad storms last week, i guess it was from one of them). the only rot occured where some of the buds were actually touching the ground. a little rot was also found on another plant where some dense under brush was touching a couple buds, which were all covered in dew. i guess i got lucky otherwise because its been raining all the time. and i had no other rot. i picked off the infected sections. my question is how contagious is it. i found a couple smaller pieces during trimming. theres a couple of buds that just have a brownish tinge to them and they were right next to rotted ones. its hard to tell, a lot of the buds have purple dark hues on them. im pretty sure a couple of them were right next to rotted areas the bud looks in pretty good shape besides that. i got rid of all the actual rot. should i be worried about it spreading while the rest are drying?

hash head

some one brought it up earlier, but anyone have experience with bud rot spreading during drying? i was growing guerilla no signs of any mold or rot early. was only able to visit on a limited basis. when i went to harvest my biggest girl had completely fallen over ( we had a couple bad storms last week, i guess it was from one of them). the only rot occured where some of the buds were actually touching the ground. a little rot was also found on another plant where some dense under brush was touching a couple buds, which were all covered in dew. i guess i got lucky otherwise because its been raining all the time. and i had no other rot. i picked off the infected sections. my question is how contagious is it. i found a couple smaller pieces during trimming. theres a couple of buds that just have a brownish tinge to them and they were right next to rotted ones. its hard to tell, a lot of the buds have purple dark hues on them. im pretty sure a couple of them were right next to rotted areas the bud looks in pretty good shape besides that. i got rid of all the actual rot. should i be worried about it spreading while the rest are drying?
id run a dehumidifier in your drying room or just get bubble bags.

A

argoagro

some one brought it up earlier, but anyone have experience with bud rot spreading during drying?

No, because I've been proactive. If you start to get scared trim all the buds off of the stems just as you would when putting it in jars/bags, then lay it on a screen. You need good airflow, if you have a dehumidifier that is key, if not you can lay the screen on top of a cardboard box with 'damp rid' packages inside. I've been forced to dry in a shelter that can only have a fan, and I've used both the tricks of cut from stem & lay on screen, and the damp-rid. Cutting it off the stem right away gave me insane bag appeal, same weed but twice as green. Still to early to tell for sure but smell doesn't seem to be effected one way or the other, don't know about smoke though. Biggest thing though is:

Look deep deep deep inside the nuggets! Spread them bitches open, cut cola's apart if you see any, and cut out anything you find & throw it in the hash pile. If you have to put a fan right on the bud (Not recommended, but when your trying to dry bud in 60* nights with humidity reaching 100% you do what you have to) Mold likes moisture, stagnant air, and temps around 60-65* iirc, so try to eliminate that stuff & you should be good.

Cannasseur

Like hash_head said grab yourself a dehumidifier and throw a fan on those girls. As long as the conditions are not appropriate for the germination of spores (lacking appropriate moisture/temp/etc) then you'll be just fine. Also from what I've seen in my experiences, in the drying phase white mold takes superiority over the gray mold.

But for future reference, I would never harvest after a huge storm like we had last weekend. Let them dry out first next time. Harvesting even semi-moist is asking for a whole lot of trouble.

phrike, The ability for the plant to photosynthesize is still present (anything above 45F) and from what I've observed in my experiences the cold nights contribute alot to the plant packing on the resin as a means of insulation. That's my two cents.

I thank god for mountain valleys and temperature inversions, still keeping up that good fight.