What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Bud rot setting in- Cut 'em or leave 'em?

Bob Jones

ghostly, cover doesn't help all that much. I'm growing in a greenhouse in the Eugene area and I've been having to harvest plants early due to the mold. It's just the cold, humid air.

What does make a difference is genetics. I have one plant in the garden that has shown zero bud rot while the others were hit hard, I'll be growing a lot more of it next year for sure.

hash head

ghostly, cover doesn't help all that much. I'm growing in a greenhouse in the Eugene area and I've been having to harvest plants early due to the mold. It's just the cold, humid air.

What does make a difference is genetics. I have one plant in the garden that has shown zero bud rot while the others were hit hard, I'll be growing a lot more of it next year for sure.
Is it a well known strain? the one with zero bud rot I mean

Bob Jones

I'm not sure what it is. I was told it was purple urkle but not 100 percent sure as there's not much purple in it. The other highly resistant strain in my garden is Madonna, very little problem with rot so far with it but most of the others are getting clobbered. That's why I grow a lot of different strains, to find ones that work in this climate. Today the bud rot got 10x worse in one day, no rain just more cool and humid, so most everything is coming down in the morning before it's too late.

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
we have not checked our plants in a week... a week which included 3 full days of rain:cry:... and we wll not be able to check em until next weekend... and this week looks like rain for tues and wed...

between the rains, always high humidity, little sun, if i was a betting man, i'd say i'm fuk'd...

phrike

Whats the skim milk solution?

Just 1 part skim milk to 9 parts water, ie. 10% skim milk in water solution.

Spray all over the plant, leaves and buds. Do this during the day when there is at least 1 hour left of sun/warmth so that the excess solution will evaporate and not contribute to mold/rot.

I've never tried it but read about it on a few old threads. Might not help TOO much but if the excess evaporates there seem to be no reports of it causing trouble.

I've decided for now that I won't be doing this. The next weeks forecast for here includes lots of sun (Yeah!) and little chance of rain. Got to almost freezing last night and should reach freezing tonight though, followed by a week of overnight temps around 5c or about 41F.

I'll be taking a few more buds today and will concentrate on those close to other buds due to mold potential from touching while wet. As a bonus that will allow more light to reach the remaining buds.

No mold/rot for me yet, knock on wood. :)

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
ive tried milk tooo... didn't seem to help us... i just hate to add even more moisture to the bud be it with milk or greencure or whatever.. i just think once rot is present u be fuk'd....

Mendojoe

I personally don't believe in spraying for bud rot either because it usually rots from the inside out. I cut out some rotten colas today, & ripped some apart for examination & everything was just rotten from the inside out,even sections that looked fine were not inside,disgusting brown/black & gray fuzzy botrytis shit,so spraying is really never going to get deep enough into the flowers & if it did it would just add to the moisture & F things up worse. I have never tried the milk thing,but it seems like water & milk added to moldy nugs would just equal moldier nugs,but chemistry works in mysterious ways. Tried the alcohol idea once & it really ruined the plant. I would say,just salvage what you can. Use a few pairs of scissors & cut out the moldy shit & trim with a clean pair & just seperate the uninfected parts. I've never had bud rot spread during drying,but I've heard that it can under the right conditions.

As said before by others prevention is key,also is strain selection,I only had one plant get any bud rot this year,all the other strains are fine & they are right next to the infected plant so I won't grow this strain again,just too much headache.

Anyways,I feel your pain!!! We had that rain a couple weeks ago & I couldn't cover my largest lady. She is a DJ Cocoa kush X Mendo kush I crossed last year,she got about 8 ft. tall & looks mostly like a Bluberry as far as plant/flower structure & color. Probably a 2 lb. plant & she is my only plant that got bud rot this year & I lost about 30-50% of the plant so far & she needs about a week. Well everything looked fine until this week,leaves browning out of the colas was the first sign of the shit storm,remeniscent of caterpillar mold & damage. For better or worse I trimmed off all the moldy nugs today. Hopefully she can ride out the week,everything I left seems fine & I salvaged about 2oz. of uninfected pieces from the tops & bottoms of the infected sections I cut out. I feel like I will lose at least a pound in harvest though from this shit & then I hope it doesn't spread during drying.

Should be noted as well that I grew out one other female from that homemade cross & she looks very similar to the VanillaLuna that I grew last year. ZERO bud rot,buds are smaller & slightly speared in shape,other plant had FAT much leafier colas that seemed to rot much easier. So my point being that pheno is almost as important as strain, one pheno of a certain strain may perform better than another that would rot out under certain conditions.

FinestKind

I think we should all move to Arizona. Every last one of us. :D I can't imagine they have much of a problem with the bud rot! C'mon, we can all go in on a collective, it'll be great!

Yeah, the cover doesn't seem to matter much. As I mentioned, I moved all of my girls into a trailer (with all of the windows open) during that rainstorm we had this past week... on pulling them out, they were much worse than when I put them in there... I'm wondering if I wouldn't have been better off just leaving them out in the rain, at least you've got some air movement out there.

And about the strains... does anyone have any suggestions for EXTREMELY ROT RESISTANT strains? Obviously, the "looser" budding strains are better than the tight ones, which is unfortunate to begin with... I actually have 10 Dutch Passion #1 seeds, which were sold to a friend of mine with this idea in mind... maybe I'll give those a go next year...

FK

hash head

I think we should all move to Arizona. Every last one of us. :D I can't imagine they have much of a problem with the bud rot! C'mon, we can all go in on a collective, it'll be great!

Yeah, the cover doesn't seem to matter much. As I mentioned, I moved all of my girls into a trailer (with all of the windows open) during that rainstorm we had this past week... on pulling them out, they were much worse than when I put them in there... I'm wondering if I wouldn't have been better off just leaving them out in the rain, at least you've got some air movement out there.

And about the strains... does anyone have any suggestions for EXTREMELY ROT RESISTANT strains? Obviously, the "looser" budding strains are better than the tight ones, which is unfortunate to begin with... I actually have 10 Dutch Passion #1 seeds, which were sold to a friend of mine with this idea in mind... maybe I'll give those a go next year...

FK
there are many spots in california with 0% average humidity...

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
the only strain that we have ever grown outside without bud rot, are some of sammy's beans... but ofcourse they probably need 120+ days in flower, so when picked last year after 60/65 days the buds were airy, n no way near ready...

we have tried well over a dozen strains... no luck in finding anything that does not mold...

THC123

Veteran
most frisian dew phenos did the trick for me

most other strains also mold away in our climate and it begins in week 5 just as they start looking yummy

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
Yessir, I like CA's politics much better than AZ... so here we all come! :wave:

yes indeed ... i was out there a month ago... walk in a dispensary.. and walk out with some weed.... ofcourse u need to be a resident and have a med card.... want a fukin great state...

hash head

yes indeed ... i was out there a month ago... walk in a dispensary.. and walk out with some weed.... ofcourse u need to be a resident and have a med card.... want a fukin great state...
Many of the clubs around here have 40+ strains at any given time..

Yup California and prop 215 rock
Not to mention we are going to legalize and tax it for recreational use...

:dance013: Prop 19 wooo wooo!

Stop importing foreign weed! Fix the economy! Stop wasting money on the DEA's war on pot! Reduce alcohol, pharmaceutical and hard drug abuse by legal safer alternatives! yay!

hash head

Where, Death Valley ?

Ya do need feeding water and I'd guess it drys fast there and the water's a bit scarce.
During the grow season anywhere in the south.. from april till october its mostly anywhere from 0%-20% humidity... every day in a lot of places.

sure it rains in december and january.. but I think thats doable... plus california vs. arizona, sure arizona is dry but it is probably much more difficult to do outdoor there than it is in california..

smokeymacpot

Veteran
i say the same thing every sept when i see the first signs of mold...

i want to go bk indoors :\ or at least a greenhouse, i am fed up of this fucking rain soaking the buds in the last few weeks and rotting them. and if theres no rain, theres dew and its nearly as bad.
i can grow monsters, i just cant get them past 7weeks easily :moon:
i took a 50% loss, maybe more, of leb lost to mould this year.
its dirty and disgusting trying to cut it out, i get sticky as fuck from examining every bud and it annoys me. you just dont have to do that indoor.

open ended cammo poly tunnels next year i think!!