What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Bud rot setting in- Cut 'em or leave 'em?

BayLove

my nyc diesel has been very mold resistent this year where as my warlock probably lost a ounce to bud rot but came away with a bow and a half of tasty frosty buds...lots of light penetration and sun is the remedy against bud rot imo...wish we could jus grow on top of our roofs haha maybe one day

hash head

my nyc diesel has been very mold resistent this year where as my warlock probably lost a ounce to bud rot but came away with a bow and a half of tasty frosty buds...lots of light penetration and sun is the remedy against bud rot imo...wish we could jus grow on top of our roofs haha maybe one day
roof gardens ftw!

Cannasseur

Atleast we don't have to worry about grizzly bear, brown recluse, mudslides, forest fires, drought, scorpions, crickets/locusts, etc. One severe flood every couple years and some leaf spot diseases don't sound too bad to me. California has been up for decision as far as a move, but I don't know if this slow paced guy can deal with all that action. I may have to take my chances and deal with Botrytis.

I agree with those who said to avoid spraying any sort of preventative controls. I've found gray mold is extremely resilient regardless of the use of preventative fungicides, by spraying those tight flowers you are only adding to the creation of an environment perfect for the pathogens growth. Guerrilla growers cannot be expected to effectively combat gray mold considering our circumstances. If only I could be out there everyday to shake off that excess moisture..

Once the mold has struck, I would personally remove the infected material and then spray those areas with either baking soda (Sodium Bicarbonate), green cure (Potassium Bicarbonate), milk, serenade (Bacillus subtillis), MycoStop (Streptomycetes griseoviridus), etc.

Those girls have a long way till they are ripe as far as I'm concerned, this isn't my grow though. :) (Note: I do tend to like my plants harvested abit too amber for alot of peoples' liking, but to hell with them)

Wait 2-3 more weeks, count your losses and you'll be enjoying yourself some fine smoke. Premature weed is honestly the worst. This is the tactic I'll be usin'.

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
Wait 2-3 more weeks, count your losses and you'll be enjoying yourself some fine smoke. Premature weed is honestly the worst. This is the tactic I'll be usin'.

we did that last year with a couple of rez's snowdogs... they were the 1st to show signs of rot, cut it out, a few days later there was more, so cut off the infected buds... which ofcourse were the largest ones, a few days later cut out more rot... the bottom line lost at least 90% of the bud to rot... what was left was 'ok' weed...def not the 'holy-grail' we seek... and if we had cut the entire plant at the 1st sign of rot, we certainly would have had a much larger quanity of weed to harvest... but the quality would have suffered...

there is no winning in the war on rot....

hash head

we did that last year with a couple of rez's snowdogs... they were the 1st to show signs of rot, cut it out, a few days later there was more, so cut off the infected buds... which ofcourse were the largest ones, a few days later cut out more rot... the bottom line lost at least 90% of the bud to rot... what was left was 'ok' weed...def not the 'holy-grail' we seek... and if we had cut the entire plant at the 1st sign of rot, we certainly would have had a much larger quanity of weed to harvest... but the quality would have suffered...

there is no winning in the war on rot....
if you live somewhere dry it is possible..

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
if you live somewhere dry it is possible..

yes indeed... but when u are surrounded by water u are fuk'd... this will be our last attempt at outdoor growin. getting bite by ticks early in the spring, and then dealing with chiggars and a week of scratching thruout the summer for a harvest of shitty weed is just not worth it... but its such a nice plant to grow....

Cannasseur

I am one who also believes that the choice of whether to cut or not COMPLETELY depends on the strain. This year my AK-47s and White Russian were obliterated by gray mold where as the S.A.G.E./White Widow/Super Skunk have kept up the good fight without even a touch of mold. This is how its been every year prior to this which makes me believe I may need tweak my outdoor strain selection, every year WR has barely got past the onset of flowering with out melting to the ground.

Cultivar/hybrid selection is the definitely direction that we need to push towards as far as resisting diseases (leaf spots/gray mold/etc). Those involved in the breeding of ornamental plants have been utilizing these standards for years now, it's only time that we here in the Cannabis world jump on the bandwagon.

But for you this year, all and all what it really comes down to is whether you like alot of premature weed or succulent fully ripened buds.

FinestKind

During the grow season anywhere in the south.. from april till october its mostly anywhere from 0%-20% humidity... every day in a lot of places.

sure it rains in december and january.. but I think thats doable... plus california vs. arizona, sure arizona is dry but it is probably much more difficult to do outdoor there than it is in california..

God, I love the west! I lived in Portland OR for a while, people are always saying "But it rains every day!" And I always say "Only for 6 months... the other 6 are dry and sunny!" And it's true- low, low humidity and sunny every friggin' day in the summer- even in the PNW!! What's not to love! Oh yeah, and tons of land and lax MJ laws...

FK

Mendojoe

Arizona? I don't think they "take kindly" to growers over der,haha.
California is def. mostly dry if you are 50 plus miles inland,problem here in the coastal/semi coastal belt is the night time humidity. The days are hot/warm & dry but most nights are cool & damp. Plus we always get one stupid early rain,just enough to funk stuff up. Overall can't complain bout the weather here at all, I could be in Frogballs Arkansas or Fargo or somewhere with hardcore weather.

hash head

dry all season now a few weeks from harvest and theres 5 days of rain in the last 10 days... greeeaaat..

fucking gray mold.1

IKILL3RI

Man Hash I'm with you man this fkn rain hasnt stopped, and I'm afraid my buds will get mold, but hopefully the weather news is right this time and doesn't rain the next few week's, I just need to wait till the 20th :D and it's harvest time. :D At least i made a cheap ass greenhouse, but i really hate fkn rainy weather that never stops lol.

hash head

cut out mold today also found a few tiny caterpillars.. this fucking shit, now sun is forecast so hopefully no more grey fuzzy mold..

jj7leaf

This is a worthy project

This is a worthy project

This is how its been every year prior to this which makes me believe I may need tweak my outdoor strain selection, every year WR has barely got past the onset of flowering with out melting to the ground..

I already put an order in for a bunch of resistant hybrids and although most are not the desired product for me right now I know that I can use them to produce a hybrid that comes alot closer than I am getting right now.

On a side not my AK from serious this year was a stringy foxtail type pheno. That didn't see much mold but also isn't producing where what a plant of that size should outdoors, what does your AK pheno look like and do you like it outdoors?

IKILL3RI

I guess I have caterpillars now in my buds, those lil critters are so annoying, and they really hatch quickly and eat your bud so fast dam, might just start flushing and harvest my girls early, I really don't want to spray my girls with anything cuz there way into flowering already, any advice instead of just picking them off?

FinestKind

I guess I have caterpillars now in my buds, those lil critters are so annoying, and they really hatch quickly and eat your bud so fast dam, might just start flushing and harvest my girls early, I really don't want to spray my girls with anything cuz there way into flowering already, any advice instead of just picking them off?

Huh, never seen caterpillars in my weed before.... sounds like a new form of hell, on top of the rot. Yikes. Good f'n luck.

FK

hash head

Bacillus Thuringiensis Kurstaki

is good for killing cats and its fairly safe for humans breaks down over 2 weeks

IKILL3RI

Huh, never seen caterpillars in my weed before.... sounds like a new form of hell, on top of the rot. Yikes. Good f'n luck.

FK

Yea those lil bastards hide inside the buds and start eating the inside, you can tell when there's something inside cuz your buds just starts to die off. Hate them, so i burn them when i picked them off lol.:laughing:

Bacillus Thuringiensis Kurstaki

is good for killing cats and its fairly safe for humans breaks down over 2 weeks
Might go get some before it gets worser than it already is, thanks for the advice guy's.

phrike

Caterpillars ? Yuck. I'm not sure that happens in these parts.

My mold/rot concerns are over now. I harvested after midnight due to frost warning. Grass was crunchy. Hit -1c (30F), now back up to 4 celcius, LOL.

Anyway from what I've read the plants aren't growing much with most days highs no more than 15c or 59F. I think at least 1/3rd trichomes are amber now, so good enough.

Good luck all ! I love the free water, sun and wind outdoors but those damn choppers freak the hell out of my wife and I.

I'm going back to indoor with stealth cabinets unless and until the laws/enforcement changes for the better.

Peace out...

Cannasseur

Hope everyone got to enjoy the beautiful and unseasonal blue bird days we had this weekend.

That didn't see much mold but also isn't producing where what a plant of that size should outdoors, what does your AK pheno look like and do you like it outdoors?

I have what I believe would be the more sativa lenient phenotype (From what I've gathered this is the inferior pheno as far potency/bag appeal/odor). Regardless of the sativa traits, the strain stays fairly true to the strain's indica influence resulting in a fairly bushy form branching form (tight internodal growth, wide form, etc). From there the plant produces large tight yet fluffy cone shaped flowers.

I purchased the seedstock in '05 and since then I have kept her around.

AK-47 is a wonderful plant, but I honestly can't say it's an acceptable choice for outdoor conditions (Atleast the ones in my area). She'll always have a home in the garden, regardless.

Latest posts

Latest posts