What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Diary Brothers 2023 Indoor grow

Brother Nature

Time for an update. Growth has been pretty rapid. I've been seeing a lower ph in my soil than I'd like, but it seems to be slowly climbing and the plants look pretty happy bar one. I'll be including the soil PH readings from this post forward.

We'll start with the sour diesel.

Growths been a bit slow, but progressing well. Soil PH = 5.5

full
full

Brother Nature

c99 mutant clones. They're starting to put out 3 leaves instead of the single blade, the outdoor plant also did this just prior to going into flower. They're looking more lime than dark green now, but the outdoor plant also shows this so I'm not overly concerned. PH unmeasured (pots too small)

full
full

Brother Nature

Green Poison. Pretty sure this isn't the Gelato, have grown that same clone before and she had a much more classic structure. This girl is viney, a lot like a trainwreck . Was vegged under a MH so had a lot darker color than the other girls to start with, seems to be retaining that pretty well. Soil PH = 5.8

full
full

Brother Nature

Lemon Amnesia. She's a skunk cross and already smells like it. Has a very classic skunk look to me too. Soil PH = 5.7 (almost a point lower than last week, odd)

full

Brother Nature

I've also started using liquid calcium carbonate as a PH up. My only other option was a peroxide based PH up which is a no-no with biocanna. Seems to be working well. The bio-canna is pretty acidic, even at 1.2 ec, some people have said I shouldn't be worrying about the PH, but that leaf above makes me concerned. The rest of the girls seem to be happy enough though and the PH is becoming more alkaline each day.

StickyBandit

They're looking pretty safe now. A couple looked delicate early on :D
I was getting that leaf pattern on a few of mine and added calcium nitrate 1gm/L to the Cannabio and that fixed it. Not sure if it's the right thing to do but it seemed to work. Brings the Ph up too
Another thing I add is silicic acid

Brother Nature

Thanks, having the proper tools to test the soil and inputs always helps. The golfball had that same leaf issue last week, but a full feed seemed to resolve it. I'll do that with the Zkittles but that plant has been pretty slow in veg the whole way and hasn't rooted out too much so the soil stays more moist than the other plants, probably part of the issue. I'm a little weary of adding more alkalinity to the soil as it's steadily shooting up by about .2-.3 a day and I'll be heading into flower most likely next weekend (after taking clones), so I'm wanting it to stay relatively steady once it gets to the 6.5-6.8 range. I do have some cal/mag that uses calcium nitrate for the cal part so can always add if it's lacking.

Regarding the golfball, it has a very Afghan/hash plant structure, it fills in all it's gaps very well, if that makes sense.. It's also very geometrically pleasing to look at, symmetrical. It doesn't look anything like the g13/hp clone I thought it might be though, much more indica in structure, the leaves are very large and maple like. I'm thinking something skunk/afghan related? In any case I'm looking forward to whatever it produces.

StickyBandit

It's great you are looking into the Golfball origins. It's been a mystery for so long. It may be something common but it will be an old something common, we just haven't had much variety to compare to. Can't wait for you to get some buds and tell me more :D
I know what you mean about filling in the gaps. It's prone to bud rot so I thin it out a few times and have good air flow. That said we were growing with the old school lights, not LEDs and were getting buds that were literally baseball bat size. Wish I had taken some pics
It doesn't have the couchlock/tiredness of some indicas but rather is good to get the busies on :)
I've been a little cautious of adding to much mag to soil because of an article I read on the accumulative effect to the soil. Not sure if liquid mag stores in the soil or washes through....

Brother Nature

Looking good man, I'm loving the red stems. I'll be posting an update soon, I'm just so booked up with projects at the moment. Mine's suffered a little from the PH issues I was having so I held back on feeding her properly while I got that right and I'd say the last couple high PH feeds must have locked out her iron uptake, was a little pale and flacid in the new growth this last week, though has come right now. The other plants had the same treatments and didn't react the same way so I'd say you're right on with the suggestion she's nutrient hungry. Her growth rate didn't seem to be affected by the FE issue though. She clones incredibly well too, I got roots after only 4 days in the jiffy and heat pad. I'm really leaning towards her being some kind of skunk cross. Don't think we'll ever know what she actually is, but seems very much Dutch in origins.

StickyBandit

Wait for the buds Brother, she has a different smell than anything I've ever seen. You on the other hand may not have been so sheltered :p
My kids say it smells like home because the house often smelt of it while they were growing up :D
They're in their 20's now and have never come across anything similar in their travels either
Then again, it may be common as and we've just not encountered it :)
And fyi, from memory I think it close to doubles in height after switching to 12/12

Last edited:

Brother Nature

Time for an update. Plants are not looking great. I believe the PH adjustments were too rapid and I've locked out iron from their uptake. Soil PH is sitting between 6.1-6.3 on all plants and the new growth is coming back in at a nice green color, so things are back on track but I'm still unhappy with this run, shouldn't have fiddled with things. Will be flipping to 11/13 flower tonight, have taken clones from al plants and can't afford them getting any larger in the space.

Golfball - side shot, was effected by the FE issue the most, is starting to come right now.

full

full