What's new

Breeding with wild hemp

DocLeaf

procreationist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Doesent THCV bring on an instant hit?:lurk:

On highest setting Vapour THCV gives that anxious / heart palpitation effect,, alongside the CBD. Not nice!

I agree that with the post over by indifferent that different cannabinoids complement each other within the profile,, hitting on one without the others was like something was missing IMO.

For medicinal purpose the possibilities in researching different profiles would be endless,, and a far more complex study than any other study on any species thus far ,, the variety of cananbis varieties now available being so immense.. :canabis:

indifferent

Veteran
THCV is present in strains such as Zamal and Malawi, and many speculated it contributed to the psychedelic nature of such strains, but Sam Skunkman chimed in on the THCV thread at OG and shot this idea down, I forget what he said exactly now, but I'm sure he said it was a THC antagonist.

Mexican Ruderalis, bah humbug, not buying that at all. Ruderalis types are found in Hungary and Russia mostly, and some other parts of Eastern Europe. They are not to be confused with the tall, sativa looking wild populations in SE Europe, such as Bulgaria, those are not ruderalis they are more likely leftovers from Hemp cultivation of the past. I have visited Moravia to study the wild cannabis there (NE Czech Republic, just below the Carpathians) and there were both small, ruderalis types and larger, non-AF types, not sure if this indicated more than one varietal or just variation within a single variety.

Mexican Ruderalis, not having that, can't see how any Ruderalis type could originate from Mexico. Neville made a number of crosses with Ruderalis back in the 1980s, and I'm pretty sure one of the ones he did was Mexican x ruderalis. He definitely did Ruderalis Skunk and Ruderalis Indica.

I'm not buying the claims that Lowryder is NL2 x (Williams Wonder x Mexican Ruderalis), I think that is just not true at all. I wouldn't be surprised is a short, single cola pheno NL2 was used, as I remember NL2 as being a short, single cola indica, but I reckon the other half would have been one of the micro plants from the FIM 314 (AKA Finola) hemp strain that has been grown all over Canada for years now.

Mighty Mite, that is said to be created from regular outdoor crops by selecting the few individuals that finished in August, rather than October, the breeding being done on one of the BC Islands. Well, MM is crap for potency imho, and I would not be at all surprised if the reason why some plants were found that finished in August was because some stray FIN 314 pollen got into the genepool of the guy's outdoor crops.

IMHO Ruderalis = very low potency hemp, and as Ruderalis is said to be descended from the hemp crops grown in E Europe and Russia, it is not surprising.

Ruderalis x Drug cultivar = low potency cannabis, and I doubt there is any getting away from this. Perhaps with many, many gens of breeding, you could get a high potency line with the AF trait from the ruderalis, and some say this has been done with the latest Lowryder hybrids, but until someone shows me a Blueberry x LR or AK47 x LR that has all of the taste and potency of BB or AK, I'm not convinced. I might stick a AF or two in my veg space later this year, but I only have LR1 F1 hybrids and my experience of growing some of those before is they don't AF and tend to just be shorter, faster versions of the strain the LR1 was crossed to with lesser quality. If anyone gives me some more modern LR hybrid seeds that have been worked to AF and still retain the quality, I'll give em a run, but I'm not shelling out hard earned cash on any.

K

kopite

@Kopite
Mexican ruderalis doesn't exist.You can find Ruderalis only in Eastern-Europe and Russia.The only available autoflowering strain in Canada is Finola.

I'm not stating it does I am purely going on the Lowryder descriptions.... but the most likely source would be as indifferent pointed out the Nev link etc..

Indifferent, I know the site you talked about before and do not visit it myself for various reasons. (you can take the boy out of Salford, but not Salford out of the boy ? :})

Below is a copy a paste from CC mag about Ruderalis in which it mentions nev breeding the aforementioned Mex x Rud.....

The return of Ruderalis
By DMT - Monday, July 21 2003
Tags:

* CC43

This wild hemp strain, once discarded as useless, is making a comeback among both serious breeders and casual croppers.

Deep in the North American woods lurks a recent addition to the marijuana gene pool: Ruderalis hybrids! The forests and fields are coming alive with resinated plants, blasting their way to maturity under the intense light of the summer sun, long before the buzzing of choppers or moldy autumn weather.
Until recently, Ruderalis had been almost unanimously given a bad name by cultivators and breeders alike. Early Dutch seed pioneers like Super Sativa Seed Club voiced their concerns about Ruderalis early in the homegrown revolution. This was all with understandable reason, as pure Ruderalis varieties are almost completely devoid of THC and come with a host of other problems for the grower or breeder.

Breeding programs between Ruderalis and drug type strains can and have produced plants of notable quality. The aim of this article is to shine some light on this recent advance in marijuana breeding and pave the way to what could be the future of outdoor marijuana cultivation for many areas of the world.

What is Ruderalis?

Cannabis Ruderalis is a subspecies of Cannabis Sativa. The term was originally used in the former Soviet Union to describe the varieties of hemp that had escaped cultivation and adapted to the surrounding region.

Similar Ruderalis populations can be found in most of the areas where hemp cultivation was once prevalent. The most notable region in North America is the midwest, though populations occur sporadically throughout the United States and Canada. Without the human hand aiding in selection, these plants have lost many of the traits they were originally selected for, and have acclimatized to their locale.

Though they contain little THC, these plants hold large potential for use in breeding, both in hemp and marijuana applications. Early flowering and resistance to locally significant insect and disease pressures are but a few of the important traits present in these feral populations.

Thankfully, despite years of US government sponsored eradication programs, these wild plants still remain in bountiful abundance.

Early Bud: this one will be ready while other buds are not.Early Bud: this one will be ready while other buds are not.Early efforts

The first documented experiments in crossing drug strain varieties with their Ruderalis cousins were performed by Ernest Small of Agriculture Canada in Ontario during the 1970's, for the aiding in the purposes of taxonomic classification. Crosses between these strains usually produced offspring of intermediate THC levels, with a few that leaned more towards the high THC end of the spectrum. It was concluded during this research that hybrids between drug and non-drug (both ruderal and hemp cultivars were tested) generally produced progeny of intermediate potency.1

Perhaps the most known efforts to incorporate Ruderalis traits into drug hybrids are those of Nevil, proprietor of the original Seed Bank, and the person largely responsible for the original dispersion of many of today's drug varieties.

During the 1980's, Nevil experimented with crossing Ruderalis strains to plants such as Mexican, Skunk#1 and several Indicas, in hopes of combining the early flowering of the Ruderalis with the potency and flavor of the others.

Although some of Neville's crosses matured much earlier than previous marijuana strains, they tended to be low in potency, unstable in terms of maturity, and often sported buds that were leafy with shrunken calyxes.

Early Purple: sweet Rudy in the mix.Early Purple: sweet Rudy in the mix.BC's Mighty Mite

About this time, on British Columbia's Gulf islands, an outdoor grower was noticing that his October finishing strain always threw out a few plants that finished much earlier ? by late July or early August. After several years of selections for this early flowering trait, the Mighty Mite strain was born.2 Mighty Mite effectively incorporated the auto-flowering trait, while retaining the habit and potency of its drug cultivar heritage.

For those in the know, Mighty Mite quickly became a popular outdoor strain for filling the traditional late summer drought in BC's pot market before the market was flooded with regular seasonal outdoor bud. Slowly, over the years, these genetics have spread further amongst underground pot growers and been used most successfully in hybridizations with more potent strains.

Aside from getting crops in before cops and other thieves can plunder them, these early plants have allowed growers to produce plants with much more commercial appeal than traditional Northern latitude outdoor marijuana.

Warm, dry summer weather with high light values allow buds to finish bright green and rock hard, making for better bag appeal. It is impossible to tell whether the many auto-flowering strains floating around all originated in the Mighty Mite family or are a result of many similar incidents, but it is certainly the most proven of all the auto-flowering strains. The fact that Mighty Mite is an inbred line and relatively true breeding for its auto-flowering trait would make it seem likely to have been a large contributor.

DJ Short has recently speculated that Ruderalis introductions into the drug cannabis gene pool likely came from repeated selections for early flowering traits from Indica based lines rather than actually being imported from Russia or surrounding countries (CC#39, Breeding Tips). Both of these scenarios are quite possible. General consensus is that all drug, hemp and feral strains of cannabis originated from the same source gene pool, therefore, Indica varieties would also have these auto-flower genes present somewhere in their genetic makeup.

Get those buds in before choppers and thieves come looking!Get those buds in before choppers and thieves come looking!Early flowering explored

The marijuana strains most of us have been familiar with begin flowering once the night period reaches the individual plant's critical night length. This critical length varies depending on where the strain originated. Generally, there is a critical period of darkness required to begin flowering, and a second slightly longer critical dark requirement for it to ripen completely.

Many Indica varieties begin to flower when the day length drops to about 13 1/2-14 hours, while Sativas will often not begin to flower until less than a 12 hour day length is achieved.

In comparison, many of today's Ruderalis/drug strain hybrids flower automatically when they reach a given maturity, regardless of photoperiod. Even under lights on 18 hours a day, they completely mature from seed to bud in less than 90 days.

I've seen test plants from Mighty Mite hybrid lines that were started outdoors in early March, and had completely finished by late July. This could indicate that crossing auto-flowering plants to those that are photoperiod determinant lengthens a genetically predetermined period required before non-photoperiod dependent floral onset.

A second scenario is that within the ruderal strains that have been introduced to the drug gene pool there also exists genetic information of photoperiod adaptation to north latitudes.

Many of these Ruderalis/drug hybrids are also known for being very sensitive to other environmental factors. Things such as cloning, letting plants go too dry or getting pot bound can easily send them into heavy flowering.

The big unknown that still remains in these new lines of marijuana is what is actually causing the flowering on a biological level? Is there an internal clock, a genetically predetermined number of cell divisions that must take place before the plant begins to put up buds?

Another possibility is that once night-induced flowering hormone levels accumulate to certain levels within the plant it will begin to flower.

If the flowering is not dependent on having a dark period, these new cultivars could prove useful in backyard city growing situations, where streetlights and other forms of light pollution often prevent proper maturation of photoperiod dependent strains.

As these genetics further penetrate the drug cannabis gene pool they have potential to cause both harm and good.

Imagine getting mothers up and going for your next big crop and finding that at 60 days they all begin to go into full flower. A costly inconvenience at the least!

However, the potential for great advances is also there for the taking. How about auto-flowering Haze strains that ripen in the middle of summer, in areas where previously even the earliest Indicas would not ripen in time? Commercial growers could pull two crops per summer without ever having to worry about shading!

Breeding climate

One of the largest problems associated with breeding outdoor varieties for northern latitude areas like Canada or Holland is that the climate puts no pressure on plants to produce high psychoactivity. In fact it selects for the opposite.

So long as the breeder is selecting for high potency on a multi-parent level, potency can be upheld. However, if this same breeding program were undertaken in an environment that naturally selects for high THC plants (like highland Colombia or Thailand) the resulting average desirable cannabinoid levels would be much higher.

There is likely a threshold effect on the potential of any given strain as related to the environment it is being selected in. By incorporating auto-flower genes into the north latitude outdoor marijuana gene pool, plants would be finishing under more direct sunlight and warmer weather. This environment is much more conducive to high THC levels, thereby raising the threshold level for the particular strain.

Mighty cola in the morning sun.Mighty cola in the morning sun.Ruderalis and hemp

It is very likely that Ruderalis varieties have already made for an important advance in hemp cultivars. The variety FIN314 was developed from genetic material originating in Russia and seems to have the same auto-flowering trait noted in Mighty Mite and other hybrids.

FIN314 seeds that accidentally germinated in a Quebec farmer's field in early April were found in full flower by early June.3 Along with adding the possibility of twin crops in a season, this allows the oilseed variety to finish short enough to be easily harvested by current machinery, which clogs when fed the standard taller hemp varieties.

The genetic history of the parents of FIN 314 is unknown, other than that they were acquired from a germplasm collection from Russia. However, it is believed that at least one of the parents was a Ruderalis accession.4 If the widespread adoption of FIN314 by hemp farmers is any indication of the future of Ruderalis/drug hybrids with pot growers, there will be a mass dispersal in the coming years.

Buyer beware

There are still many commercially offered Ruderalis hybrid strains that are very low quality and should barely be classed as drug varieties. At the same time, the finest Canadian outdoor pot to have crossed my path so far was from Mighty Mite derived lines that were harvested in July and August.

The future seems clear for Ruderalis/marijuana hybrids. As many governments ease up on antiquated cannabis laws, more and more people will take up growing. A couple of auto-flowers on the back deck will likely fit the lifestyle of many more folks than would an indoor grow room.

Demand for stabilized, auto-flowering hybrids of high drug value, in combination with saner drug laws, will pressure marijuana breeders to move forward on bringing these to fruition.

Until then, the ability to have marijuana crops maturing at any time of the growing season should wreak havoc on CAMP style police tactics that have been accustomed to only searching for plants one or two months of the year. This, if for no other reason, seems ample enough to plant some auto-flowerers today!Mighty cola in the morning sun.

References

1 Small, Ernest. 1979. The Species Problem in Cannabis Science & Semantics. Volume 1: Science. Corpus Information Services Limited. In cooperation with Agriculture Canada and the Canadian Government Publishing Center. pp.121-127
2 Poole, MIchael. Romancing Mary Jane: A Year in the Life of a Failed Marijuana Grower. Greystone Books.
3 Przytyk, Sasha. Undated article. FIN 314 in Canada, Gen-X research Inc. Regina, Sask.
4 Callaway, JC, and TT Laakonen. Undated article. Cultivation of Oilseed Varieties in Finland. Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry, University of Kuopio, Finland.

K

kopite

Heres Dj on Ruderalis the time lines fit with Nev etc ....

Ruderalis: myth and misnomer

As indoor growers attempted to improve their genetic lines via breeding, another interesting phenomenon occurred: Ruderalis. Although there is a wild variety identified as Ruderalis in Russia ("Ruderalis" is supposedly Russian for "by the side of the road") that grows very short and matures very fast, I seriously doubt the rumor that someone actually went to Russia to collect seeds of this variety sometime in the past. Or, if someone actually did go all the way to Russia to find, collect and smuggle "rudy" seeds, I do feel sorry for their waste of time. They could have gotten the same worthless thing from Minnesota, Saskatchewan or Manitoba with much less hassle.

The North American Ruderalis probably originated as follows: After the Indica varieties arrived in the US and became incorporated into the gene pool, many breeders began to cross the earliest maturing individuals with each other in hopes of shortening the maturation cycle.

It would only take a few generations for the ugly Rudy phenotypes to begin expressing themselves. By ugly, I am referring to a strong lack of potency and/or desirability. I know, I was once guilty of the practice myself. It did not take me long to realize that this was a huge mistake in regard to the quality and potency of the future generations' finished product, and all subsequent breeding along this line was ceased.

Many of these manipulated rudies were released on the open market between 1981 and 1986. It was shortly after this period that the grow journals of the era (Sinsemilla Tips and High Times) ran articles about the possibility of a new wonder variety for indoor grows: fast blooming Ruderalis. Rumor had spread to myth and misnomer. Therefore, it may be more appropriate to say that the Ruderalis phenotype was coaxed from Indica genetics, via the indoor breeding environment.

The same applies to many of the Indica dominant varieties available today. Breeders selecting for early, fast flowering or fast growth often miss out on some of the finer and more subtle characteristics available from crossing certain genotypes. My advice to breeders is to wait until the finished product is suitably tested before coming to any conclusions regarding desirable candidates for future breeding consideration.

DocLeaf

procreationist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The above is a theory!

The low grade stuff in America came from the Spanish, Dutch, and French who imported Cannabis sativa into many states of the Americas for rope,,, including Mexico and New Amsterdam. "Ditch Weed" is a derivative of this same rope grade hemp,, grew feral,, and has jack-shit to do with ruderalis which descends from the baroness tundra that is Russia!

n.b. remember that colonialists / Russian aristocracy first shipped Asian genetics into Europe ,, when Russia was Europe,, which is partly Asian on a map,, only then much later did Europeans ship ganja onto the Americas as a colony!

p.s. cannabis is not indigenous to the USA :D

Hope this helps

indifferent

Veteran
I tend to think that ruderalis comes from escapees from cultivated hemp crops, Hungary and Russia grew huge quantities of hemp for fibre. Neville gave up as he realised he was never gonna be able to get high potency from a rudi cross without a very large amount of work over many years.

No-one has yet to answer the question of whether cannabis was in the Americas before the Spanish arrived, it may have been, but I doubt it myself.

The Mexican varieties came from Spanish hemp crops, and it was Black African slaves who taught the Mexicans to smoke the stuff.

Similar thing happened in the US. The British settlers planted lots of hemp from the early 1600s onwards, but they weren't smoking it. Again, it was the Black Africans who brought the knowledge of smoking the stuff. I expect these hemp crops contained plenty of potent plants as they weren't bred for low potency like modern industrial hemp, in many cases the genes would have originated in India. There are documented stories from the early 1800s of slaves on hemp plantations smoking the dried flower tops, an I suppose African slaves were smoking hemp right from the time they first arrived in the Americas.

White Americans hadn't got a clue about smoking hemp as dope until the early 20th century. Some southern boys had heard the tales of their grandparents of slaves smoking hemp flowers, and some may have seen black people doing so, but it wasn't until the influx of Mexicans from the early 1910s onwards (caused by the Mexican Revolution) that white folks all over the US became aware that you could smoke hemp flowers. There is strong evidence that it was the US Army who introduced the knowledge of the enjoyment of cannabis back home to the US, first with the soldiers who went with Pershing chasing Pancho Villa then with soldiers who have served time in the Panama Canal Zone. I have read about US soldiers bringing home seeds from Marijuana bought in Panama and growing them back home on the farm and being shocked and amazed when the seeds grew into what they recognised immediately as hemp! It was precisely because 99% of the white population were ignorant of the fact them Marijuana was good ole hemp that Anslinger and his cronies were able to get Marijuana illegalised.

PS. The site I refer to is run by a child, he ain't from Salford, he wouldn't last 2 mins in Salford, he's from a little farming place in Lincolnshire, proper spoilt little mummies boy.

DocLeaf

procreationist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ruderalis comes from Sensi Seed Bank BV (everyone knows that),, its not worth growing other than orna-mentally,, or if you seek seeds to eat over bud to smoke... rah rah rah

There's nothing wrong with Lincolnshire,, the best edible Cheese comes from there,,, Lincolnshire Poacher :yummy: and ,,, nice fresh veggies and oink sausages :D

Welcome to Salford : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inJZPpr6HzA

DocLeaf

procreationist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nah ,, i n i nah run with that clan-a-fam (jah bless them) ,, but we got mans on that ends right! :D Ditto Lincolnshire :bandit: LGA got brethrens n sistren on most roads,, all over the world :friends: :canabis:

Just looked at your avatar for first time Kopite,, you scally rascal you ,, Liver to the end :friends:

Hemp is for hemp farmers! There I said it! What you expect? Nah budge an inch on this!

Strictly sinsemilla what we smoking !

Raco

secretion engineer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ruderalis comes from Sensi Seed Bank BV (everyone knows that),, its not worth growing other than orna-mentally

well,I have to disagree here Doc :wave:
I´ve grown outdoors here in Spain and smoked buds from other growers of both Sensi´s Ruderalis Indica and R Skunk back in te 90´s that kicked ass
I know a guy that made up to 3 generations of the R Skunk and still produced good bud.The seeds produced both AF short plants (ready by late August @ 43ºN) and "normal" ones,ready before mid.October
If I dont remember bad,by f4,the plants started to produce tiny seeds,very small...aneuploids?? :D

toastfighter2

I read this whole thing from start to finish, and I have came up with a few points that were looked over. First of all, here in the USA, there isn't that much hemp being grow on purpose for much of anything, so I would almost bet that none of what anyone finds growing on the road is genetically tampered with. Second, if it was modified to "terminate" on its own, how the hell is it growing wild all over the place. Third, I have smoked some stuff pulled from a field in a county not to far from me, and it actually had a decent buzz to it, not the best ever, but I have smoked worse. Forth, most of the stuff that is growing out in the wild hasn't been messed for a long time, so it wouldn't "weaken" the gene pool, and at the very worst, would expand it. If someone doesn't try working with it, how would we ever know if it wasn't the key to finding the holy grail of buds? I am sure a lot of people felt the same was about ruder plants, but now they have a firm spot in our community.
Now with that stuff mentioned, I really think it would be a worth while project to undertake if you know going in that you are more than likely never going to end up winning the cannabis cup. You might end up with something more along the lines of big bud, but it wouldn't stand out that much from the "wild hemp" patches. This combined with the fact that it has the potential to become good medicine makes it seem like it might be worth the time it takes.

indifferent

Veteran
Good guess, I am from Salford! Not lived there in over 30 years tho, left when I was a young un.

I've never been to Lincolnshire btw.Hemp, well we better define what we mean by Hemp before we dismiss it.

Modern Industrial Hemp is quite different from what was grown earlier. The first modern Hemp cultivars with very low THC were bred in Hungary in the 1940s. Before that, Hemp and Drug Cannabis were no so clearly delineated, the differences were more in how it was grown than genetic. Of course, cannabis, whether grown for fibre, seed or drug is never gonna be very good if grown in Russia, the climate is just no good. Hemp crops there would have been cut early, before they had even flowered if grown for fibre, and most of the Russian Hemp crops were for fibre. The seed crops would have been small affairs, just big enough to supply the next year's seeds.

However, there was a lot of hemp grown in places that are rather better for producing quality cannabis, in fact, many of the so-called 'hot spots' of 20th century cannabis drug cultivation were formerly hemp farming areas - the highlands of Oaxaca, Eastern Kentucky, the Pacific Coast of Colombia, all were places were hemp was farmed, and later became places that produced very fine cannabis for smoking.

Picture this, the British brought cannabis seeds from India and grew them in Kentucky, the original Indian genes would have been potent, as Sam Skunkman has stated, Skunk#1 is very good for fibre production, many drug strains are, so there probably wouldn't have been much genetic difference between S. Indian hemp crops and the famous Keralan sativas. Eastern Kentucky is a near perfect climate for cannabis and those Indian genes grown in Kentucky would have thrived (they did, which is why Kentucky became famous for it's hemp) and the potency of the plants would have been considerable. Of course, there would have been variations in potency, but I'm sure the best plants would have blown your head clean off, the climatic conditions were just right to produce potent flowers.

Hemp gone feral in Russia turns into worthless ruderalis, hemp gone feral in the Highlands of Oaxaca turns into wonderful golden sativa, climate and it's effects on natural selection at work.

So I think it is best to reword Docleaf's statement into this:

Modern Industrial Hemp is for hemp farmers.
Traditional Hemp could blow your mind, especially if grown in a good climate.

Of course, they didn't smoke the flowers, they cut the hemp crop. left the plants to lay on the ground while the flowers rotted away, they picked up the stems, retted them in the nearest pond or river then began the fibre extraction process. Of course, the black slaves knew the flowers were smokeable, and the plantations owners wouldn't have cared if the blacks were picking the flowers off the plants after harvest before they could rot away, there would have been so many flowers, even on a closely planted fibre crop, that there would have been literally tons of the stuff lying around on the ground at harvest time. I'm sure the slaves knew how to pick the best flowers by smell, appearance and stickiness, and I'm sure the best flowers were plenty potent.

A friend from the Balkans told me his grandfather told him that before WWII when they grew a lot of hemp in the Balkans, you could walk through the fields and get very sticky as the crops were so sticky. This changed in the 1950s when they started planting Industral Hemp cultivars instead.

E

elmanito

The hemp that was grown in the 19th and 20th century (before WWII) were of the low potency type.In the Netherlands the hemp that was grown was tested for potency in 1925 and was considerably low.This was done on the demand of the League of Nations.

The Dutch had better genetics grown in the East-Indies before WWII.Originally the genetics for medicinal purposes were from India.What i read in another thread that the US government brought genetics in 1930 from Borneo to Colombia to develop a strain for medicinal purposes.

The pharmaceutical company Eli Lilly probably brought in the 1920s genetics from India and perhaps also Nepal to Mexico and Jamaica to develop Cannabis americana.

The hemp that was grown most of the time in the US, South America, The Netherlands etc was not of the drug type Cannabis.Other genetics like from India/Nepal are responsible for higher potency.

picture.php

picture.php

Oost-Indië = East-Indies

Namaste :smoweed: :canabis:

DocLeaf

procreationist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
This page has some EXCELLENT info. !!!

"Modern Industrial Hemp is for hemp farmers.
Traditional Hemp could blow your mind, especially if grown in a good climate." :D

Great posts by all :yes: :yes: :yes:

DocLeaf

procreationist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
clogged machinery? :D

Interesting point :yes: :D

During hemp trials in the UK the crop wrapped itself round the blades of the combine harvesters and ,, clogged up the machinery :D

Most agricultural machinery cannot harvest varieties of cannabis. Special equipment was designed to harvest crops in the Ukraine (and Canada) during the 1990s.

'Unfortunately, due to the insignificant area devoted to hemp, mass production of hemp combine harvesters is not organized. We consider it possible, through the common efforts of interested firms, to organize joint production of hemp combines. For swath hemp harvesting we use the cutter GK-1.9 which cuts hemp plants, binds them, and throws them down. Binds are threshed by the hemp thresher pK-4.5A. This technology results in greater seed losses and higher-manual labor costs. Hemp grown for fiber only is harvested by the cutter GK-1.9 which cuts plants and spreads them out in the field for dew retting. During dry weather stalks are turned over to obtain even retting.'

Source : http://www.aginukraine.com/bast/bast01.htm

'This process technology is more expensive and requires the expenditure of more labor than technologies in other countries. In the years to come, hemp-growing will be revived in Ukraine and the sphere of hemp usage will change. Side by side with a traditional use of fiber to manufacture spun products, use of hemp for the pulp, paper, and textile industries will increase considerably.'

CANNACO-OP

Farmassist
Veteran
Originally Posted by CANNACO-OP
I think I am going to de-seed it and run it through bubble bugs and see what the true grade shit will do

Yeah try bubble it :yes: only wish we knew back then what we know now,, we'd have stood in the field mixing it up :biglaugh: The smell and resin layer was quite intense :D[/quote]

:chin:One year we took cheese cloth and stretched it out over some boards we hobbled together . At first we tried to rub the plants against it, but that just plain sucked:wallbash:, then we just took the giant buds and began beating :bashhead:and thrashing:spank: them against the cloth, beaners flying everywhere.

Needless to say our hands where sticky and this cloth was covered in green material, somewhat sticky and we tried to scrape it off with a knife, but as I remember we did not know a thing.:cuss:

Eventually we just gave up and to top it off, never even tried it, kids, whatta do.:crazy:

Next year, hundreds and hundreds of plants in new places and a huge patch where we had our cars parked.:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:We laughed and laughed.

E

elmanito

Docleaf
I dont know what you mean that traditional hemp can blow your mind, since hemp also traditional hemp produce a high amount of CBD, which act as an antagonist of THC.

The high potency strains in Colombia, Mexico are from ancestors which were brought from India, not the hemp varieties from Columbus.:D
In the 1980s you could find traditional hemp strains in the Ukraine which had a THC content of 1-2% and a CBD-content of 5%.

http://www.druglibrary.org/olsen/hemp/IHA/iha03109.html

Namaste :smoweed: :canabis:

danut

elmantio : the :biglaugh: was at LolaGal's comments :D

RE: TLC

Chromatography is plant species, and moreover specimen specific. Chromatography is very useful for identifying the presence of minor terpines and essential oils within cannabis. :yes:

However all results depend on that plant,, and which part of the plant was taken,, the age of maturity,, and the overall condition of the sample tested. The cannabinoid profile displayed by the same cultigen (clone) by different growers will be different, depending on environmental variables relating to phenotype.

For any seed company to confuse these 'statistics' as a basis for marketing seeds is highly incredible,, (bullshit in fact),, often extremely misleading to newbies ,, and in places fraudulent,, like dressing mutton as lamb. :no:

Chromatography does however hold potential for medi. users looking to isolate specimen plants with a specific cannabinoid ratio :yes:

Hope this helps :D
Glad to see this. You really know your stuff.

I have lots of questions.

Chromatography .. I'm thinking that using a chromagraphy column might be a good way to isolate cannabinoids in some sort of medi useful quantities. feel free to tell me that I don't know anything .. I'm just getting started.

TLC at what age should TLC be able to project a content of CBD THCV and other cannabinoids. Can a leaf be tested before starting flowering?

Hemp .. is all hemp AF? That would suck for cloning.

Someone here was kind enough to ship me some Finola seed .. You know who you are .. thank you thank you.

I'm guessing this is the wrong thread for these questions. Please forgive me and point me in the right direction.