What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Breeding with wild hemp

mriko

Green Mujaheed
Veteran
Well .. it's been a while.

I just started playing with this test. Still rough kitchen sink kind of runs, so far.

I had been looking closely at the process that Rick Simpson used for extraction. A minor difference that he does in his process is the addition of water near the end. Different than what most people do when extracting.

I noted that the last step in his procedure was to place the oil in a metal pan and warm until there are no more bubbles being produced.

I'm trying to determine if there is any possibility of some modification of compounds that would "supercharge" the resulting material in it's anti cancer activity.

The simple effect of bubbles being produced seems to indicate the possibility of some sort of reaction taking place. Seems to me at least.

I'm getting to the beam test stuff .. please bear with me.

So I've been working with 99% iso extractions. I theorized that if you added water to the iso AFTER extraction, that the cannabinoids would fall out of solution. I confirmed that something would indeed fall out after the addition of water. My thoughts were a possible purification method ..

Anyway .. Back to the beam test.

What I did: (again .. rough kitchen style searching for a target to focus on)

Took a small bud from a plant. Dried it in an oven at 225F for one hour. Crushed the bud then added about 10 ml 99% iso. Short wash of about 3 min. Evaporated the result at about 200F IN A STAINLESS STEAL CUP (metals act as catalists) until there were no more bubbles observed.

Added 10ml 99% iso again and placed the results in a test tube.

Next added 10ml dilute KOH to the test tube.

Strong violet color was noted. Source material is God Berry. God Bud x Bubble Berry. God Bud is a confirmed source of CBD. God Berry has a very clear creeper effect when smoked.

So far so good.

Then I added water to see what would fall out. What I noticed when I did this was the formation of small bubbles. Yes .. I had a whiteish material fall out. The violet seemed to stay in the water/iso part. It's the bubbles that have me wondering.

Some reaction involving water in a basic solution?

Years ago, there was a machine produced to extract THC from cannabis called the Isomiser. As a part of the extraction process a small amount of H2SO4 would be added to convert any CBD to THC. Is is possible that the addition of a base would convert some of the THC into CBD?

A little more this morning. Ran the test tube through a centrifuge. Decanted the liquid off the top. Dissolved the left over off white mass in 99% iso. Seemed to dissolve completely. Placed the solution in metal cup again to evaporate.

Result is a reddish/violet oil.

You'd better ask in resin section

Irie !

Olifant

Some will tell you that it is a human creation, but they must have had something to start with that was rich enough in THC for them wanting to do selection work, and it could only be so from some wild specimen.

Mriko, although what you suggest is certainly plausible it is not the only possible or perhaps even the most likely scenario as you suggest. Let us consider Zea Mays (maize) which is generally considered to be a cultigen species bred as either an interspecific hybrid from many cousins, or strictly Teosinte. All of the ancestors of maize are simple grass plants which produce a single row of seeds. While under cultivation it is thought to have produced a spontaneous mutation which caused the "cob" we know today. Coca is another good example of a cultigen species which evolved while under cultivation or selective breeding where the wild ancestors produce alkaloids in such low concentrations to have been practically unnoticeable in psychoactive effect to modern humans.

Btw, someone said that Erythroxylum Novogranatense is not from peru. This is incorrect, the Eryhtroxylum Novogranatense ssp Truxillense, aka Trujillo coca is named after the region in peru where it was first identified. The other subspecies belonging to that taxonomic classification is from Colombia and part of Venezuela. It is not from Indonesia but was brought there by the Dutch.

Back to the subject at hand, think of all of the medicinal plants employed by neolithic and later humans which possess efficacy when tested by modern medicine but are not immediately noticeable when tested subjectively for medicinal benefit.

As has been said previously in this thread, CBD isomerizes into delta 1 l (-) THC when heated under acidic conditions. Considering the distinct possibility that man probably first consumed cannabis resins orally, either through consumptions of whole flowers or possibly through finger collected resins while collecting seeds for food, maybe even mixed with the oily seed in a porridge, even if the plant had not yet developed a gene for THC production, it would not be surprising that at least a percentage of the CBD isomerized into THC in the stomach. At this point it would then be processed by first pass metabolism by the liver into 11-OH-THC a stronger, more intense and psychedelic metabolite. Even if ther was not a huge effect possessed by these plants, I believe it was quite possibly enough to have piqued interest in the plant when compared to the wild ancestors of coca, or earlier man's interest in other, more subtle medicinal and psychoactive plants.

Supposing that cannabis was possibly first cultivated as a food or fiber source, makes it even more likely this gene first appeared under cultivation. Considering the ease with which a high THC phenotype could be propagated due to the relative simplicity of the underlying genotype suggests the possibility that Cannabis Indica could indeed be a cultigen species. I'm by no means saying that you're wrong, It isn't certain at this juncture which scenario is correct, but to me both are possible

M

mrred

i got some hash made from packing a tube full of feral cannabis with a coffee filter at one end, then dumped 90% alcohol thru it, then put the pyrex dish with the alcohol in pan with water , turned out pretty good, i like to add it on top of bowls, makes a bowl last twice as long, gotta work on getting more of a amber color tho, its only amber if i put it up to the light otherwise it looks black

G

Grasso

Hi,

All of the ancestors of maize are simple grass plants which produce a single row of seeds. While under cultivation it is thought to have produced a spontaneous mutation which caused the "cob" we know today.
After sowing corn in bad conditions I saw that the plants grew man-high but as thin as a pencil and produced Sorghum-like seeds of purple colour. So the special way seems to go the other direction, too. Yet the small seeds were sterile. The parental "corn" plants have shot back out of the rootstock now for the second springtime. Makes me think of the old Toyota ad: "Nothing is impossible".

Greetings,
Grasso

Latest posts

Latest posts