What's new

Breeding with wild hemp

E

elmanito

Funny to read my own post again.That document about the selection of hemp varieties was at the beginning of the 80s.I cant confirm it at this moment that the CBD-content is still the same.I havent found any documents which are free to download.
I have to do a TLC-test for this.

Namaste :smoweed: :canabis:

indifferent

Veteran
Finola was the origiinal source of the AF dwarf genes used to make Lowryder. An unusually short, fast, AF Finola pheno kept appearing among Canadian hemp crops - the govt inspectors kept finding a small number of plants in those Finola crops that were tiny, very early flowering and had a tiny bit more THC than was allowed by law. Someone used this pheno to make Lowryder by crossing it to a micro pheno NL #2 and linebreeding.

It was claimed that the original generation of LR seeds sold were 9 generations from the original cross. I grew the original LR and the second release and neither had anything like the potency of a regular drug strain. It tasted quite good, fruity and sweet, looked good, but to smoke it was pretty much a waste of time, not much potency and the high lasted 5 mins.

I'm told that by now folks have managed to breed potent AF hybrids of Lowryder, so I reckon breeding with hemp in order to take on one single trait into a hybrid is feasible, but will take 10-15 gens of hard breeding work to produce anything worthwhile.

Yes, all commercial drug cannabis we know in the west has been bred for exclusively Bt allele so it only poduces THC, and hemp still has both the Bt and BD alleles, so you could use hemp as the source of the Bd allele in a hybrid, but it would make much more sense to find a landrace drug cultivar that had the Bd allele than to resort to working with hemp.

The Real Seed Co have several promising lines for sale that may contain Bd allele plants. Gypsy's Mazar freebie may also still have the Bd allele. I think it would be much more worthwhile to work with landrace drug cultivars like these than hemp.

Those Chinese seeds are interesting, they don't grow modern industrial hemp in China, they grow traditional farmed lines, so they are pretty much just landrace cultivars. They are bred for other traits than their cannabinoids tho - fibre, seed production etc, but I would think that there could be some potential for interesting cannabinoid profiles to be found if you grew out a load of them, some of the lines bred for seed production could be interesting.

Amatuer breeding for CBD is likely to be pretty pointless imho as CBD is not apparent from smoking really, you would need the ability to analyse samples for cannabinoids to make a CBD breeding programme worthwhile. Personally I expect we will see a high CBD version of Sativex in the UK before too long as they seem to have decreed that it's wrong for us to ingest cannabinoids by smoking a joint, but it's fine for us to spray industrially produced tinctures of cannabis onto our tongues if we have a prescription. Pretty wierd and ironic situation if ya ask me.

E

elmanito

what tool do they use to test thc or cdb levels?

You can use GC/MS which is a very expensive method, but for identification of the cannabinoid profile you can better use the TLC-method since it identify more cannabinoids like THC, CBD, CBC, THCV, THC, CBG, CBNV, CBND.

M

mrred

You can use GC/MS which is a very expensive method, but for identification of the cannabinoid profile you can better use the TLC-method since it identify more cannabinoids like THC, CBD, CBC, THCV, THC, CBG, CBNV, CBND.

whats a tlc-method? how much does it cost? here is some ditch weed, smelled really good, some are very fruity
59260IMG_6488.JPG

L

LolaGal

doesn't make sense to me! :)

It would be like going to the hospital having a foot amputated and telling them
"I don't want any morphine, make me some willow bark tea.!!"

K

kopite

Finola was the origiinal source of the AF dwarf genes used to make Lowryder. An unusually short, fast, AF Finola pheno kept appearing among Canadian hemp crops - the govt inspectors kept finding a small number of plants in those Finola crops that were tiny, very early flowering and had a tiny bit more THC than was allowed by law. Someone used this pheno to make Lowryder by crossing it to a micro pheno NL #2 and linebreeding.

I always thought Joint doctors Lowryder had williams wonder in it and was made up of 3 strains, the others being NL2 and A mystery which most said was ruderalis type... but you say its finola ? can you tell me where I could find this info? Whatever its lineage its not a strain I am fond of..

Kopite

DocLeaf

procreationist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
elmantio : the :biglaugh: was at LolaGal's comments :D

RE: TLC

Chromatography is plant species, and moreover specimen specific. Chromatography is very useful for identifying the presence of minor terpines and essential oils within cannabis. :yes:

However all results depend on that plant,, and which part of the plant was taken,, the age of maturity,, and the overall condition of the sample tested. The cannabinoid profile displayed by the same cultigen (clone) by different growers will be different, depending on environmental variables relating to phenotype.

For any seed company to confuse these 'statistics' as a basis for marketing seeds is highly incredible,, (bullshit in fact),, often extremely misleading to newbies ,, and in places fraudulent,, like dressing mutton as lamb. :no:

Chromatography does however hold potential for medi. users looking to isolate specimen plants with a specific cannabinoid ratio :yes:

Hope this helps :D

indifferent

Veteran
I always thought Joint doctors Lowryder had williams wonder in it and was made up of 3 strains, the others being NL2 and A mystery which most said was ruderalis type... but you say its finola ? can you tell me where I could find this info? Whatever its lineage its not a strain I am fond of..

Kopite

It's something I've been told more than once by Canadian friends. I saw a post by reeferman about it a while back but it's on a forum I refuse to visit these days due to security concerns.

On the subject of the test results published by GHS about their strains, I expect they just make them up, pure bluff to draw in newbies.

Personally, I don't think the other cannabinoids besides THC are all that interesting. THCV is a THC antagonist so isn't of much interest to those who imbibe for pleasure, CBD isn't psychoactive so while it has some interesting medical properties, any work to try and produce a strain with lots of it without a lab and proper science techiques is pretty hit and miss imho.

For me, the really interesting thing is terpenoids, there are loads of them and besides being responsible for smells and tastes, they can have modulating effects on THC, changing the nature of it's effects. I'd love to see a full break down of all the terpenoids that can be found in cannabis and what their properties are.

I've heard that Hortapharm are working on adding the terpenoid Limonene to Sativex, not sure why, probably because it has some synergistic effect with THC.

E

elmanito

@Docleaf

Misunderstanding :D

Good writing :yes: but
Different parts of the plants are not equal in cannabinoid concentration instead of cannabinoid profile.
Heard yesterday btw that they found THCV in Ruderalis with this TLC-test.I cant find any other research where they found THCV in Ruderalis.

@Kopite
Mexican ruderalis doesn't exist.You can find Ruderalis only in Eastern-Europe and Russia.The only available autoflowering strain in Canada is Finola.

love?

elmanito: It's my understanding that the "Mexican Ruderalis" used in creating Lowryder was some Mexican sativa crossed with ruderalis, instead of an actual Mexican ruderalis plant...

E

elmanito

@Love
If you cross a Mexican strain with Ruderalis, you will still have a strain which is quite tall so that doesn't make any sense.Since Lowryder is quite small in height and when i read the story about the mutants of Finola which were quite smaller than the normal Finola, i believe more this site of the story.
You can find more info in the thread of Mdanzig.

love?

That thread is where I got the info, or some thread in the Mdanzig forums anyway, but I think the entire thread got deleted after that was posted.