What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Breeding for the best stimulating effect

Carraxe

Veteran
After waiting a couple of months, I've planted 6 Jack Herer x Thai Angola seeds. These seedlings are the test batch of the first female seeds I've made. It is a honor to get to work with these unique genetics.

These are the cuts I used:

The Thai Angola is a special sativa. It was selected in Spain from a batch that resulted to be quite legendary because only a few seeds were made, and they were distributed only as freebies. ACE and CBG said they would never make crosses involving that Green Angola from the old Spanish breeder La Mano Negra again. This green Angola is the African half of the Thai Angola cut.

The Thai side of the Thai Angola cut is the Meao Thai from Cannabiogen, extreme tropical 100% sativa fire, tamed by CBG for generations, but still very difficult to grow, and very slow to mature. This was the base of their Destroyer strain.

The resulting cross Thai Angola resulted to be the perfect 100% sativa hybrid for its effect. No comedown at all, nothing felt in the body, zero heavyness, all in the head. Hybrid vigour, taste, and nice production for such a special plant. Smells are like geranium or anisette, with a bitter presence. Buds aren't compact, as expected, but they are full of very little flowers and resin, sativa style. I don't know nor imagine a 100% sativa better than that.

The Jack Herer is quite the "commercial" sativa. It produces more than a pure sativa, but its buds are compact and flowers and trichomes are indica big. It is really strong, but still the effect in the body is subtle compared with most hybrids. Only needs about 10 weeks to mature, just a couple more than most indicas. I've been using this cut for several crosses along the years and it gives a very homogeneous offspring. The smell is subtle, varnish-like, with hints of lemon, but just hints.

IMGP0085.JPG

Well, let's see what comes out of this. I am quite excited, I think about making a thread for them. Last experiences crossing these cuts have been very satisfactory.

SWEET SMOKES

Carraxe

Veteran
The best outcome would be a plant with buds and maturation time similar to those of the Jack Herer but with most of the aroma and effect of the Thai Angola. This result in any of the seeds is quite improbable, but I believe that I can get a plant that produces relatively more, faster than Thai Angola, but also stronger. I got real magic with this cut crossed with a Mextiza, and I'm sure this cross is worth the time.

I hope the Jack boosts the aromas in the Thai Angola, as usually does. There will probably be some 10-weekers, but I guess most of the plants will need around 12.

I'd like to know what people think about this.

Sweet smokes

Carraxe

Veteran
Two sativas at 8 weeks. Since they are a test, I don't think I'll wait more than two more weeks before harvest.

Titan's Haze x ACE Malawi. Sorry, I used to write CBG Malawi till I realized it was from ACE Seeds. Beautiful plant with a very nice bud structure, similar to Titan's, but the smell is stronger, more like rotten fruit. Attractive.

IMGP0087.JPG
IMGP0089.JPG
IMGP0093.JPG

And the other one, supposed to be Neville's Haze x Kali Mist. This one is got an uglier bud structure but still a sativa structure, and a nice lemon smell.

IMGP0096.JPG
IMGP0097.JPG
IMGP0098.JPG
IMGP0100.JPG

Sweet smokes

Last edited:

Carraxe

Veteran
65 days for these sativas. I like very much the slender structure of the Titan's Haze x CBG Malawi (two last pics), I hope its effect will be closer to Titan's Haze, very good stimulating effect, than Malawi.
IMGP0115.JPG
IMGP0118.JPG
IMGP0121.JPG
IMGP0123.JPG

They look punished by their sad life in the tent, but for such long extra hot summer bug infested indoor grow, that's not that bad, it could be worse. Smoking day is coming closer for these two ladies, but they'll need a long cure.

Sweet smokes

Carraxe

Veteran
I like very much the only Titan's Haze x ACE Malawi female plant I've got. Its leaves are very thin, the general image of the plant is good looking and slender and the buds are very appetizing. So I've prepared the next generation. The seeds are, as they should in a near-pure sativa, very very little.

IMGP0126.JPG
IMGP0130.JPG
IMGP0133.JPG
IMGP0137.JPG
IMGP0138.JPG

I'm going to feed just plain water for at least a week. She is now at the 75th day of flowering.

Sweet smokes

midwestkid

Veteran
I've just taken some pictures of my flowering clones of Mextiza. I've got several, these are just two. 38 days, less than two weeks for harvest.

And this is the Thai Angola branch that was pollinated with Ethiopian pollen two weeks ago. Seeds are on their way. I bet there will be a couple hundreds of very very little seeds, as the size of the calyxes is in both strains.

Cheers
beautiful siamese cat

midwestkid

Veteran
nice thread. i like your work. youve certainly put in some serious time and effort.

so now that you are tinkering with fems....
why not reverse that AngolaThai?
reverse a few selected mextizas?
seems like you have some pretty tactical sativas
then reverse them again and see if the parents segregate?
or just sprinkle that feminized Mextiza pollen like fairy dust on anything and everything.

great work following your own instinct ^ these are only my ramblings to let you know we lurkers are out here watching and reading. thanks for sharing your journey

IndicaFarmer

nice,
my thoughts kind of when i crossed Caribe with Malawi , kick up that great Jamaican vibe even more, turned out to be a great hybrid, i like it very much, high like thai,taste like pink grapefruit and mint
where you source the caribe jammal? sound like an awsome cross man.

Carraxe

Veteran
nice thread. i like your work. youve certainly put in some serious time and effort.

so now that you are tinkering with fems....
why not reverse that AngolaThai?
reverse a few selected mextizas?
seems like you have some pretty tactical sativas
then reverse them again and see if the parents segregate?
or just sprinkle that feminized Mextiza pollen like fairy dust on anything and everything.

great work following your own instinct ^ these are only my ramblings to let you know we lurkers are out here watching and reading. thanks for sharing your journey

Yes, I thought about making S1 from the Thai Angola, and I'll probably make them in a future. I would like to select some specimens with the most bitter African taste. But I'm using the F1 for crosses for one reason: this plant has been already selected as a good productive strong and tasty one, and only needs 13/14 weeks to harvest. If I make a S1, it will be a hell to select between plants needing 16+ weeks to mature.

So far, I've had very good results with this plant. I am now growing my first female seeds, made between a Jack Herer and this special Thai Angola, and I have a lot of expectations in this new cross I'm testing. And there is a lot of crosses waiting to be made, so in a near future (next couple of months) I'll be crossing:

-Jack Herer with my selected Thai Angola x Mextiza (TAM)
-Thai Angola x Mextiza (TAM) x Thai Angola. Kind of backcross, mostly Thai Angola with a funky Mextiza twist that will be good for resin and could shorten harvest time. I guess I'll get a lot of diversity in these.
-Thai Angola x Mextiza. I've already made this cross and it rocks, now there will be a female version
-Jack Herer x Black Domina (It will be a commercial productive Hybrid very different to the rest of the sativas)

I'll have everything written here.

Sweet smokes

Carraxe

Veteran
These are my six feminised Thai Herer (Thai Angola x Jack Herer) 28 days after putting the seeds in coco. They look healthy and vital. I'll try to make them a little bushier before flipping, because I think they'll grow a lot.
IMGP0165.JPG
IMGP0169.JPG

Sweet smokes

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
The best outcome would be a plant with buds and maturation time similar to those of the Jack Herer but with most of the aroma and effect of the Thai Angola. This result in any of the seeds is quite improbable, but I believe that I can get a plant that produces relatively more, faster than Thai Angola, but also stronger. I got real magic with this cut crossed with a Mextiza, and I'm sure this cross is worth the time.

I hope the Jack boosts the aromas in the Thai Angola, as usually does. There will probably be some 10-weekers, but I guess most of the plants will need around 12.

I'd like to know what people think about this.

Sweet smokes

I would be afraid that angolathai will loose its clearness and the effect will get more muddy and maybe little narcotic from jack.

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
sure that is that fun when you will smoke it...

it depends how sensitive to it you are... some people dont mind sativa mixed with northern lights hybrid, and talk about it as almost pure sativa. some of us detect it in the effect and cant talk about it as clear sativa smoke :D

what about angolathai x malawi? ace malawi has some of these properties like potency, good indoor adaptability or big yield, no?

Carraxe

Veteran
sure that is that fun when you will smoke it...

it depends how sensitive to it you are... some people dont mind sativa mixed with northern lights hybrid, and talk about it as almost pure sativa. some of us detect it in the effect and cant talk about it as clear sativa smoke :D

what about angolathai x malawi? ace malawi has some of these properties like potency, good indoor adaptability or big yield, no?

Yeah, it is nice we've developed our own experience and taste and don't need any from these inexperienced internet talkers.

I didn't like Malawi for taste or effect, but I gave an opportunity to its descendants, since they are made with a very good cut I liked a lot, Titan's Haze. It's got some Indica from the Skunk side for sure, but you know what? I liked it much more than most of these sativas placed all between the range between the boring commercial hybrids and the raw slow, weak, pain-in-the-ass landrace sativas.

So... just grow what you like, and seek for what makes you feel good. And never stop making experiments.

Last edited:

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
hahahaha yes, fuck those internet talkers hahahaha

me too dont like malawi taste. it is weird. but it packs some potency, I appreaciate some really potent stuff. you like the effect of jack more than malawi effect? can you compare it? for fun..

@MadMac told me that when he crossed ace malawi with haze, that awfull oily taste of malawi disappeared, it is case with your titans cross? I also read, dont know if it is true, that ace malawi works like more sativa in crosses than itself. that it is less heavy and more electric in crosses?

hehehe good note about pain in the ass landraces :D

titans haze bud

full

Carraxe

Veteran
hahahaha yes, fuck those internet talkers hahahaha

me too dont like malawi taste. it is weird. but it packs some potency, I appreaciate some really potent stuff. you like the effect of jack more than malawi effect? can you compare it? for fun..

@MadMac told me that when he crossed ace malawi with haze, that awfull oily taste of malawi disappeared, it is case with your titans cross? I also read, dont know if it is true, that ace malawi works like more sativa in crosses than itself. that it is less heavy and more electric in crosses?

hehehe good note about pain in the ass landraces :D

titans haze bud

I like very much the Jack, the effect is obviously mixed, but still much better than most sativa leaning hybrids, and it is fast and relatively productive for a plant of its kind. It is also tasty, and smells and tastes are attractive floral, sweet, varnish, lemon. Buds look shiny, heavy, full of crystal, and very attractive. Malawi didn't have the punch and the taste and smell were totally unattractive, as the leafy buds, and it took too much time to mature.

I just jarred the only female plant from the cross Malawi x Titan's Haze. Smell is a complex and strange penetrating bitter chemical mixture that I find difficult to describe. I'll look for help on that subject. I'll smoke it in a month, so I can't compare the effect or taste with anything, but for the appearance, like the shape of the buds, this plant seems closer to Titan's. Before even cutting the plant, I liked it, so I planted some more seeds, and I have now 7 little plants to select a nice female from.

I believe the Jack Herer x Thai Angola will be interesting. Let's see, I've put the 6 plants into flower just some days ago.

Sweet smokes

Latest posts

Latest posts