What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Breeding for the best stimulating effect

Carraxe

Veteran
I managed to get some plants out of these seeds. There were a lot of mutants without main sprout above cotyledons, and also some seedlings that didn't grow normally. I'll share some pics of them: that's what "endogamic" means.

Carraxe

Veteran
This is the first male I found in the backcross (Mextiza x Thai Angola) x Mextiza. I call these seeds M3X. This one has been flowering for just 7 days and I sexed it a couple of days ago. It smells very sweet and tasty, and its structure is the classical slender sativa Mextiza. I guess this backcross will be quite similar to the original Mextiza.

IMGP5858.JPG
IMGP5856.JPG
IMGP5855.JPG

Sweet smokes

Carraxe

Veteran
During the summer months I defrost some Mextiza pollen I had from the last year and I pollinated a Bubblegum I had just selected. I did that Just for the taste and smell, since its effect isn't stimulating at all. It was a nice surprise that after that much time frozen, the pollen was OK and pollination worked, but I got a lot of the worse ill-looking seeds I've ever made. All of them are white and many of them are hollow or defective in some way.

Just for curiosity, I put some of them into wet paper towels to see if some could sprout. Well, I got the pleasant surprise that some of them did, so now let's see what we got there. I hope for a good mixing between their smells and tastes, but who knows. Mextiza is very strong and special in that field, and Bubblegum is also very pleasant. Both strains are endogamic and this could determine the results.

IMGP5860.JPG
IMGP5862.JPG

Sweet smokes

Carraxe

Veteran
What a nice surprise! 😎
Which Bubblegum did you use? Carraxe

I used one I selected from about ten cheap bulk seeds. Low production, airy buds but nice taste and flavor. Ir reminds me the incredible smell I got in a plant in the late 90s, that I've seeking since, with little success.

Carraxe

Veteran
This is a plant I made crossing the Super Silver Sour Diesel Haze OJD cut with a Mextiza male, years ago. It grows a lot, but also provides nice smoking experiences. This one has been three weeks at 12/12

IMGP5864.JPG
IMGP5865.JPG
IMGP5866.JPG

Sweet smokes

Attachments

• IMGP5865.JPG
    IMGP5865.JPG
    126.7 KB · Views: 59
  • IMGP5864.JPG
    IMGP5864.JPG
    89.2 KB · Views: 65
  • IMGP5866.JPG
    IMGP5866.JPG
    149.4 KB · Views: 57

Carraxe

Veteran
These are the plants that I could grow from these terrible-looking white seeds. I bet this cross between Mextiza and Bubblegum has a very nice flavor. Right now they lean to the Mextiza a lot.

IMGP5872.JPG
IMGP5869.JPG

Sweet smokes

Carraxe

Veteran
Mextiza Bubblegum. Their smell is very attractive. Now they look a bit more like the Bubblegum, with darker and wider leaves. I believe they are a little ugly and they are growing slowly because of the cold of these days.

IMGP5878.JPG
IMGP5873.JPG

Sweet smokes

therevverend

Veteran
Glad to see you're still working with the Mextiza. Hybridizing a strain you enjoy is never easy. Lot of variation in those bubblegum seedlings. Growing on the cold side is probably part of why they're looking more bubblegum at this point. There's some obvious BG leaners. I like bubblegum a lot, as a strain to hybridize with.

Carraxe

Veteran
Glad to see you're still working with the Mextiza. Hybridizing a strain you enjoy is never easy. Lot of variation in those bubblegum seedlings. Growing on the cold side is probably part of why they're looking more bubblegum at this point. There's some obvious BG leaners. I like bubblegum a lot, as a strain to hybridize with.

Let's see what happens, but for what I know both strains are endogamic, so their cross should be a canonic homogeneous F1. By mi experience, Mextiza is usually dominant in crosses, and it would be nice to find its counterpoint. I don't know much yet about this bubblegum, it is a new mother I got.

Carraxe

Veteran
These are the Mextiza Bubblegum. I took just three plants out of the tent for the picture, but the others look similar. They look close to the Mextiza but they smell more like Bubblegum, or maybe this is just my perception. In fact, they look better than Mextiza since they don't show any symptoms of endogamy. I'll put them in flower in some days, but since they are generously branched, I'll make some cuts.

There is no way I can get rid of the cat for the picture, this one gets excited and needs to munch on the leaves every time.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMGP5881.JPG Views:	0 Size:	131.9 KB ID:	18074893

Sweet smokes

Carraxe

Veteran
This is my loved Thai Angola Mextiza #27 at 8 weeks. This is the one I decided to keep. It is at 8 weeks now, and the layer of resin is there. I'll harvest her at 9 weeks, but for sure she could wait longer. You know, sativas never stop growing.

IMGP5888.JPG
IMGP5889.JPG
IMGP5890.JPG

And these are a couple of Jack Herer x Mextiza, also at 8 weeks. They are closer to Mextiza than they are to Jack Herer, but it is nice to find some morphological variation between them, since most of the seeds I make with both Jack Herer and Mextiza tend to be very homogeneous. The first one has two tips.

IMGP5892.JPG
IMGP5891.JPG

Sweet smokes

troutman

Seed Whore
These are the Mextiza Bubblegum. I took just three plants out of the tent for the picture

See the plant on the far right in post #136? I remove bottom leaves that wither away like
that as they are potential points of infection. As a matter of fact I don't leave any leaves
that touch the soil or pot surface as well.

Good Luck. :)

Carraxe

Veteran
See the plant on the far right in post #136? I remove bottom leaves that wither away like
that as they are potential points of infection. As a matter of fact I don't leave any leaves
that touch the soil or pot surface as well.

Good Luck. :)

¿Do you really believe a dead leave is a potential point of infection? ¿Really? My plants are healthy and I don't have rare spontaneous infections, so I don't think any infection will start in a dead leave. If it happened often, we would have a big problem, wouldn't we?

I understand decay and fermentation as part of the whole cycle, so I usually add rotten leaves and roots in the coco mix. Nature works great for itself, and results have been fine to me.

Latest posts

Latest posts