What's new

Blackwater first indoor grow

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
this is all looking very good, man!
you should be very proud of yourself and what you have accomplished here

that silver tube is an led flashlight?
dude, esp love the "curtain" of buds in the last pic!
that looks like it took some time to string up
i like to use is the nylon mesh drying racks
you can get the kind made for weed, wiht the taller sidewalls but i just but the flat ones that you would use to dry clothes on
they have like three tiers each and you can dry a lot of stuff on them
plus its as easy as just laying the branches on the mesh

looking really good fiddy
man, i can just smell the dank emminating form that second pic

Fiddynut

this is all looking very good, man!
you should be very proud of yourself and what you have accomplished here

that silver tube is an led flashlight?
dude, esp love the "curtain" of buds in the last pic!
that looks like it took some time to string up
i like to use is the nylon mesh drying racks
you can get the kind made for weed, wiht the taller sidewalls but i just but the flat ones that you would use to dry clothes on
they have like three tiers each and you can dry a lot of stuff on them
plus its as easy as just laying the branches on the mesh

looking really good fiddy
man, i can just smell the dank emminating form that second pic
Good afternoon pop_rocks. I agree they look pretty good. I didn't have enough time to do the best second trim but oh well. I am happy and proud again today. I was bummed for a day or so but have put it in perspective and am over it now. Only one of those jars has seedy buds in it so it's all good. I should have a couple more jars when I get the last 2 colas trimmed up. I just hope that the second two plants taste almost as good as the first. Will weigh it all in a few days once I know it's evenly dry. I'm thinking at least a qp of seed free buds maybe more. Good learning experience.

I'm defiantly not using string to tie buds up next time. It took more time to tie it all up than to harvest and trim it. I've seen those drying racks and they look slick. Going to get some for next harvest for sure. If I do hang anything I will make some string with fish hooks or something on them so I can just hook them to the branches.
I should have the tent cleared out in a day or so then it's time to clean up and get ready for grow #2. When I looked at the roots of these plants I couldn't find any problems. They looked healthy and strong. I didn't see any bugs on them or signs that they had been doing any damage. Starting to think that I just had a few fungus gnats and not root aphids. Still going to clean and sanitize the grow area and equipment so I can start next round bug free.
Thanks for sticking around and being supportive!

Tri_Cho_Me

These are some furry little buds. Looking forward to sampling them and putting up a smoke report. I hope they taste as good as they look.

I see you got some baby's popping up in your grow. They are a little slow the first couple weeks but once they get some roots and some leaves they will be growing like crazy. Can't wait to see how they turn out for you.

Thanks Bud! Yea, I'm super excited to see how these little girls turn out.

Tri_Cho_Me

Fiddynut

Thanks Bud! Yea, I'm super excited to see how these little girls turn out.

Tri_Cho_Me
Yep it's hard to be patient at first they are a little boring. Give them some time and you will be able to see them growing right in front of you. Once you flip to 12/12 they might grow an inch or two per day for a couple weeks (mine did). Then stuff gets real interesting.

Something I learned was to keep a look out for male pollen sacks even after you see female flowers. I didn't see them but should have been looking closer. I'm lucky the hermaphrodite plant didn't pollenate the other two in my tent.
Looking good keep up the good work!

Tri_Cho_Me

Yep it's hard to be patient at first they are a little boring. Give them some time and you will be able to see them growing right in front of you. Once you flip to 12/12 they might grow an inch or two per day for a couple weeks (mine did). Then stuff gets real interesting.

Something I learned was to keep a look out for male pollen sacks even after you see female flowers. I didn't see them but should have been looking closer. I'm lucky the hermaphrodite plant didn't pollenate the other two in my tent.
Looking good keep up the good work!

That's a good idea. I had planned to make sure these feminized seeds were really ladies when it got to that point. And you're right, it is really boring right now. It makes sense. The vegetation just isn't there to soak up all that light.

Anywho, thanks for following along! And don't hesitate to shout out suggestions in the future!

Tri_Cho_Me

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
yeah man, diggin the green jar
amazon has the same ones in purple and blue too!
i esp like the purple ones ( because they make mrs chicky smile) and they are darker than the blue ones and keep out the light
i also put a piece of blue tape on the top wiht a little info about whats inside
(strain/date/anything i want to keep track of)

another thing you can try is to string your line horizontal and hang the branches from a crook in the branch
you know like where there is a Y shape, i will purposely cut one arm smaller so i can hang it from there or get yourself some of those binder clips you would use to close a bag of chips or even the larger ones for clipping a biug stack of paper together
for pure simplicity i usually just use the screens tho

so how big are those two last tops?

Fiddynut

yeah man, diggin the green jar
amazon has the same ones in purple and blue too!
i esp like the purple ones ( because they make mrs chicky smile) and they are darker than the blue ones and keep out the light
i also put a piece of blue tape on the top wiht a little info about whats inside
(strain/date/anything i want to keep track of)

another thing you can try is to string your line horizontal and hang the branches from a crook in the branch
you know like where there is a Y shape, i will purposely cut one arm smaller so i can hang it from there or get yourself some of those binder clips you would use to close a bag of chips or even the larger ones for clipping a biug stack of paper together
for pure simplicity i usually just use the screens tho

so how big are those two last tops?
Good morning pop_rocks. I found the green ones locally at a garden store. They are not as dark as the purple ones that a budy of mine has but I keep them in a dark closet so not a big deal. Labeled each with which plant and whare on the plant it came from( top mid low). I have dates of harvest and cure times in my same log I used for the grow.

I've seen the hanging style you describe and will try that next time. Clips, hooks anything but tying both ends of string for all house branches. Could have used the screens for a few odd buds that came off the stem or had real small stems.

I processed the last two tops last night. The big Y shaped one had a little bud rot deep inside and a small bit of grey mold neer the rot part. I seperated the moldy and bud roted parts and it makes up about 1/2 oz or so. Not sure what can be done with it but I put it in a seperat jar and will keep it away from the rest. The rest of that top and the other each filled a quart mason 1/2-2/3 way. I'm keeping a close eye on the jars while moisture equalizes and leaving the covers off for a couple hours at a time if they seem moist.

All in all things are going well and I have a few jars that should be more than enough to get me high until the next batch ready I think. Going to clean and wash all equipment with h2o2 and cleaner this weekend. I'll be out of town for a couple days in a couple weeks and I want to get some new girls sprouted as soon as I get back.

Fiddynut

Looks awesome dude. hows it tast
Good afternoon cheesebuds. I have mostly been sampling a bud that broke off a couple weeks before the rest was harvested and it tastes great. Skunk/pine/lemon/fuel very earthy and some of the best tasting bud I've had in a while. I tasted a pinch of the darker and very red Harry stuff this morning ant it was good but different. It had a little skunk and pine but more spicy. It had no cure time so flavor is going to improve. I'm pretty sure that the one plant that I've been sampling is going to be my favorite and the other 2 will be similar, not bad just not as good. I'll put up a smoke report and comparison once they have a couple week cure. Thanks for checking out my first grow!

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
all in all it sounds like very productive grow
like you said, you got enough to keep you till your next grow and you learned a lot in the process
thats odd you would encounter rot in your enviroment
humidity was generally pretty low through out your grow?
you werent foliar feeding late into the cycle were you?

def go over everything with the cleaner/h2o2 mix
this includes any fans and containers

cant wait to hear how she smokes

Fiddynut

all in all it sounds like very productive grow
like you said, you got enough to keep you till your next grow and you learned a lot in the process
thats odd you would encounter rot in your enviroment
humidity was generally pretty low through out your grow?
you werent foliar feeding late into the cycle were you?

def go over everything with the cleaner/h2o2 mix
this includes any fans and containers

cant wait to hear how she smokes
Good morning pop_rocks. Very productive indeed. My original goal was just to get experience on this first run. I figured that any bud I got was a bonus. As the grow went along and I saw that things were going well my goals changed a bit as my expectations increased. Still looking forward to weighing it up and seeing what I got.

As far as the rot I am unsure as well but have a couple ideas. It was mostly some gray mold, with a little bit of black in the center that looks like pictures I've seen of rot. A very small amount of rot souronded by the gray web like mold. I took off all the buds around it and any with the mold on them. My guess is there was no air flow in the middle of the biggest top cola. It was the size of a soft ball. Some moisture got trapped in there. I did have that dehuey failure a couple weeks back but RH only got to low sixty % for about 24 hours. Other than that the RH stayed in the 50% range the whole time. I didn't loose a lot to it but will have to make sure it doesn't happen next time. If I'd topped the plant a couple times and it had more but smaller tops it wouldn't have been an issue I think. I saw no signs of it in any other buds. As far as foliar feeding the only time I sprayed anything on them was captain Jacks dead bug and that was early flower when they were just a few hairs sticking out. I never even sprayed water or anything on them.

Full cleanup starts this weekend and will follow up with another full clean next weekend. H2o2 for all equipment and bleach for pots and watering equipment. Going to start bug free on the next one for sure. I have the soil baking in my car and won't bring it back inside until right before I start the next seeds.

On this next grow I want to start taking cuts and learning how to clone my plants. Do you know of any good "cloning for dummies" threads? A lot of the ones I've seen seem kind of advanced and I just need to start with the basics. For instance I had 1 out of 3 plants this grow that was better than the others and I'd like to be able to grow that plant again rather than pop seeds and hope I got another good one. I've herd stories on this forum of people that didn't take cuttings and grew something killer but could never find that pheno again even after popping a ton of seeds. I just want to make sure that if I come across something special I don't loose it.

Final dry and cure is coming along nicely. Buds were a little soft last night so I left the jars open overnight. I'll check them after work and they may need to be left open again tonight. Some jars are just about right already and others are still on the moist side. I am looking forward to getting them just about right so I can just burp them every couple days.

I'll have pictures of the buds and weights pretty soon and will put up and update. I also want to go over my daily log and put up a recap of the grow with a few pics in the next couple weeks. Smoke reports as soon as possible.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
oh man, cant wait to hear your smoke report!
pack em fat and really let her rip!

you ahve earned it,brother

i think learning to clone is def the next step for you
once you are able to propagate wiht consistency the fun really begins
endless smoke, but you can also run little tests and dial in your grow
/by taking genetics out of the equation you can focus on other variables
plus every now and then we will stumble onto something special and you can hang onto that plant for years!

ive trird a bunch of dif ways and the easiest ive found was simply using rapid rooter cubes and clonex in a humidity done

ill run it down for yuo listing all the parts, but im sure you cn sub most of these things for what you ahev on hand, otherwise, it should not run you more than a hundred bucks to get started
this will keep you in clones for a long time
-fluorescent light
-pack of rapid rooters
-bottle of clonex gel
-seedling tray with dome
-seedling inserts
-spray bottle
-blue painters tape

you want to cut the plant below a node in a diagonal manner (this increases the exposure of the layer just below the bark of the plant)
quickly dip the cut end into the cloning gel
/i usually pour a little it of cloning gel into a small disposable cup so i dotn contaminate the bottle
stick it into the premade hole in the rapid rooter cube and place into a labeled seedling tray
/they come in dif sizes, i like the smaller ones wiht like 9 chambers so i can label each individual plants clones
place that into the humidity done and mist very generously
and place under the lamp
really soak the RR cube at first and leave it alone for the first couple days
at about day three i open the dome and give it a good misting, being sure to resoak the rooter cube and spray the inside of the dome

after the first few days, pull out any plants that look weak ( the ones that arent standing up on their own)
i think the key is to not mess wiht them for at least a week or two
i usually get about a 90+% strike rate with very little effort
i know this is really basic andi might not have been clear on a bunch of stuff so let me kow if i can add anythign or rephrase things
/ill try to write before my second bowl!

Fiddynut

oh man, cant wait to hear your smoke report!
pack em fat and really let her rip!

you ahve earned it,brother

i think learning to clone is def the next step for you
once you are able to propagate wiht consistency the fun really begins
endless smoke, but you can also run little tests and dial in your grow
/by taking genetics out of the equation you can focus on other variables
plus every now and then we will stumble onto something special and you can hang onto that plant for years!

ive trird a bunch of dif ways and the easiest ive found was simply using rapid rooter cubes and clonex in a humidity done

ill run it down for yuo listing all the parts, but im sure you cn sub most of these things for what you ahev on hand, otherwise, it should not run you more than a hundred bucks to get started
this will keep you in clones for a long time
-fluorescent light
-pack of rapid rooters
-bottle of clonex gel
-seedling tray with dome
-seedling inserts
-spray bottle
-blue painters tape

you want to cut the plant below a node in a diagonal manner (this increases the exposure of the layer just below the bark of the plant)
quickly dip the cut end into the cloning gel
/i usually pour a little it of cloning gel into a small disposable cup so i dotn contaminate the bottle
stick it into the premade hole in the rapid rooter cube and place into a labeled seedling tray
/they come in dif sizes, i like the smaller ones wiht like 9 chambers so i can label each individual plants clones
place that into the humidity done and mist very generously
and place under the lamp
really soak the RR cube at first and leave it alone for the first couple days
at about day three i open the dome and give it a good misting, being sure to resoak the rooter cube and spray the inside of the dome

after the first few days, pull out any plants that look weak ( the ones that arent standing up on their own)
i think the key is to not mess wiht them for at least a week or two
i usually get about a 90+% strike rate with very little effort
i know this is really basic andi might not have been clear on a bunch of stuff so let me kow if i can add anythign or rephrase things
/ill try to write before my second bowl!
Good morning pop_rocks. I can't wait to start smoking more of these buds too. I am finding that the drying process is a lot more hands on than I thought it was going to be. I'm having to leave some of the jars open overnight and constantly be checking on them. Each of the 10 jars is different moisture content and it is a lot to keep up with. I might pull some buds out and put on a plate to dry when I get home if they still seem moist. They get crispy on the outside but have more moisture in the center than I thought. I think most of the jars are close now and maybe just a couple need a couple more days open or out on plate. I don't want them to get too dry and turn to dust as I've herd that they won't cure if over dry. Defiantly don't want mold either. Once I'm confident that they are at a good spot I will be sampling more and comparing them. I'm gonna pass some out at work to a few buddy's and see how they like it too. I'll tell them a friend of mine grew it.

Thanks for the cloning lesson. I think you did a great job covering the basics. A lot of the tutorials I have been reading tend to get me with too much info. My brain is a sponge but with all the reading I've been doing the last few months since I started this hobby it's getting overloaded a bit. I'll take the shopping list with me when I go to the hydro store next time. Just to make sure I have this right I'll recap.
Soak plugs in pH'd water
Cut plant at 45 deg angle right below nodes and strip leaves from nodes
Dip in clonex gel
Put in rooter and make sure node is inside rooter
Label and put in tray
Mist them and put cover on
Put in veg tent under t5 floro's
Mist every couple days and don't let rooter plugs dry out.
Take more cuttings that needed so that I can toss the week ones
Watch for roots and put in soil when I see several roots coming out of plugs.

I think I can handle that. I got the veg tent and light just need tray, dome, rooter plugs and gel. I'm looking forward to learning this technique and getting results. I hope that I find something good worth keeping as a mother in my next batch of seeds. Even if not I will get some practice.

Thanks for taking time to put this tutorial together for me and keeping me on track. Much respect to you pop_rocks!

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
you got it brother!

this is just one method and you can always explore and try new techniques, but this is whats worked for me

its pretty easy to clone, you just have to be patient and not let them dry out
the rapid tooter cubes are good because they hold a lot of water but also a lot of air too
the stem needs moisture but you dont want to drown it
like anything you will get better wiht practice

i do the same thing sharing
i have a friend at work who i share weed with but to this day he dosent know i grow it
i wont sell him any but all he has to do is ask and i always come up with a gram or two
" a friend gave it to me" is all he needs to know

Fiddynut

you got it brother!

this is just one method and you can always explore and try new techniques, but this is whats worked for me

its pretty easy to clone, you just have to be patient and not let them dry out
the rapid tooter cubes are good because they hold a lot of water but also a lot of air too
the stem needs moisture but you dont want to drown it
like anything you will get better wiht practice

i do the same thing sharing
i have a friend at work who i share weed with but to this day he dosent know i grow it
i wont sell him any but all he has to do is ask and i always come up with a gram or two
" a friend gave it to me" is all he needs to know
Good morning pop_rocks.
Looking forward to experimenting with your cloning method. I'm sure there will be a learning curve but that's cool. I think trying new things will keep it interesting. Kind of like a new grow every time. I'll be popping a few seeds in a couple weeks and will take cuttings toward the end of veg.

There are a lot of stoners where I work and I should get some good feedback from them. I've always tried to share good buds and people seem to appreciate that. A few years ago I use to bring some weight back from my friends in the Bay Area and I would pass along the good prices to them. I never made much cash when I got rid of it but was cool with that. I always figured that what comes around goes around and I've had pretty good luck getting nice smoke.

On a side note I was very happy with the moisture content of all my jars of bud last night so I'm calling this day 2 of cure. Cure report to follow.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
you are doing great man
the whole process of drying and curing your weed is a skill in itself
pretty soon yuo can let them sit for a day or two and only check them once in a while
they will get this feel that means they are about right, and then you can jsut seal them up and only open them when you grab some smoke

soon you will ahev clones coming out of your ears!
i just cracked a bunch of seeds and am hopeing i ahve something good in the lot
i usually take my cuts when i top my plant
i let it grow a few extra days and then cut
i keep a cut of anything i flower just in case

thats real cool of you to share the wealth and hook up your friends
i ahve no idea what they smoke in your area but im sure anything from another state is a real treat (what is it like where you are at?)
esp the stuff from the bay area
im sure your homegrown will be met wiht smiles!
if nothing else its goign to be super fresh and you know it was grown wiht love

Fiddynut

you are doing great man
the whole process of drying and curing your weed is a skill in itself
pretty soon yuo can let them sit for a day or two and only check them once in a while
they will get this feel that means they are about right, and then you can jsut seal them up and only open them when you grab some smoke

soon you will ahev clones coming out of your ears!
i just cracked a bunch of seeds and am hopeing i ahve something good in the lot
i usually take my cuts when i top my plant
i let it grow a few extra days and then cut
i keep a cut of anything i flower just in case

thats real cool of you to share the wealth and hook up your friends
i ahve no idea what they smoke in your area but im sure anything from another state is a real treat (what is it like where you are at?)
esp the stuff from the bay area
im sure your homegrown will be met wiht smiles!
if nothing else its goign to be super fresh and you know it was grown wiht love
Good evening pop_rocks.
Drying is way more work than I thought it would be. I need to take a couple days off next time so I can be here to take the buds out once moisture has equalized. I was paranoid about leaving them out for 10 hours when I'm at work and I didn't want them to get over dry. Once I put them in jars some needed what turned out to be one night with lid open and the rest needed two nights. Then some needed a few more hours and I'm pretty happy with the way they felt after 12 hours sealed up. A skill for sure and now that I know what to expect it should get easer.

You mentioned that you usually take cuts when you top your plant, do you mean that you clone the top or that's when you take them from the bottom?
Just curious because I've read that a lot of people take them from the lower part and a lot of peeps cut that off or lollypop them anyway.

Yea just always felt that sharing good weed (or shrooms or acid when I was younger) was good karma. Just seems right.
This can be a tough aria to find great buds. Like anywhere if you know the right people but the right people come and go. No med or rec here. We are 1000 miles from Colorado for the nearest rec state. We get a lot of the average commercial crap. In the 80's we had almost all seedy ditch weed. Once in a while there would be a bag of super good skunky stuff that would come around (usually when the grateful dead were in town). Not the best for a cannabis connoisseur. Things got better in the 90's but even today you never know the strain or anything about the shit from almost anyone who sells. Every one loved the calli buds I'd bring them but it's time to show that great weed comes from anywhere and that includes us hear.

I'll have a cure report and pics in the morning. Time to go get some prime rib with the wifey.

Fiddynut

Cure report and totals

Cure report and totals

Dried bud totals.
Plant #1= 95.9 g
Plant #2= 96.8 g
Plant #3= 94.0 g
Total = 286.7 g

So just over 10 oz is what I got off my first 3 plants. No topping or training just let them grow. That does include just over an oz of seeded buds from the plant that hermied. This doesn't count the 1/2 oz or so that had light mold or bud rot. I'm super happy with that and the quality is the best part. I've read that an avrage grower gets about 1/2 g per watt of light and a good grower gets about 1 g per watt. If that is accurate than I did pretty good for a first timer.
In future grows I will be topping and training my plants so yields should increase. I will also be doing a better job of feeding my girls so that should help with quantity and qualaty. I would defenatly sacrifice yield for quality. My goal is to grow better than I can buy, and if the little I've sampled is anything to go by I've succeeded. So far I've only puffed the broken branch mistake bud off plant #1 and a small popcorn bud off plant #2. Both have been nice strong energetic highs. Plant #1 is more skunky and sour while #2 is more piney and earthy and kind of spicy.
I'll be puffing some from all 3 plants this weekend and should have a smoke report early next week. After all this work it's time to spend a chill weekend puffing buds from my first grow and loving it.
Here is a pic of all the buds in jars.