What's new

big plant ppk

jackblack123

Hi there!

I am really impressed with the PPK system, great work! :)
Currently I am planning on running a perpetual SOG PPK similar to Doc Crow(https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=248868) and petemoss(https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=95049).

It seem's that Jack’s Professional 5-12-26 Hydroponic and Jack’s Professional 15-0-0 Calcium Nitrate play a big role in the success of a PPK system.

The problem is that currently their site (http://www.jrpeters.com/) states: United States and Canada only. Sorry, but we are unable to process international orders at this time.

I am located in Europe. It seems that the only way I can get those nutes are from amazon.com. And then it's like $49.99 for 5lb Jack's Hydro, $35.99 for 5lbs Jacks Calcium Nitrate and $64.99 for shipping.

Are there any similar alternative nute solutions for me with:
Total Nitrogen (N) 5%
Available Phosphate (P2O5) 12%
Soluble Potash (K2O) 26%

Hopefully something that I can get easily in Europe.

Any help will be much appreciated.
Best regards.

Femora

Okay guys.. I hate you! Or love you...! Or hate you and love you... shieeet! I cant make up my mind!

Anyways...
Ive been lurking in this thread, reading it like 5 times in parts and now I read it from first post until last.

It set my brain in motion.. I usually spend alot of time thinking... and once this PPK got stuck inside my brain... well
Its seems to be a genious, easy setup once its going!

I need some help in my thinking thou, so I dont miss anything.
(I just rebuilt my current 2x600W growroom, and I think I will have to rebuild it once again... LOL!)

I got that this PPK is more of a flow-schedual then a setup.. Get to know the flow and understand it... then you can make proper adjustments.

But.. What if.. why.. hasn´t anyone thought about big, high buckets.
Drill 4 holes at suitable level depending on containersize and make invardleaning stainless steel sticks in a X-mark (looking from above), leaning a little inward to prevent water from pouring out of the holes.
put in a proper sized smartpot with wanted media and add a watering-device.
This way you wont drown the plant, but rather pour it with water.

Maybe I missed the point of drowning the media for a short while.. I dunno.. If so; Use a bucket with drilled holes instead of a smartpot.
If the media wont clog the drains it should work out perfectly.
And if using smartpots the clogging is not really any concern.. and.. this way there is NO risk of flooding if the inner medium-container is "inside" the bigger container.

Well, maybe Ill just stand here sounding like a retard cus I missed something out..
Maybe Im onto something (?)

So :stfu: or :trampoline:

Whats it gonna be!?

Nice grow, sexi show, impressive size on the plants and impressive branching!!

Best regards!
Fem~

real ting

Okay guys.. I hate you! Or love you...! Or hate you and love you... shieeet! I cant make up my mind!

Anyways...
Ive been lurking in this thread, reading it like 5 times in parts and now I read it from first post until last.

It set my brain in motion.. I usually spend alot of time thinking... and once this PPK got stuck inside my brain... well

(I just rebuilt my current 2x600W growroom, and I think I will have to rebuild it once again... LOL!)

I got that this PPK is more of a flow-schedual then a setup.. Get to know the flow and understand it... then you can make proper adjustments.

Drill 4 holes at suitable level depending on containersize and make invardleaning stainless steel sticks in a X-mark (looking from above), leaning a little inward to prevent water from pouring out of the holes.

Maybe I missed the point of drowning the media for a short while.. I dunno.. If so; Use a bucket with drilled holes instead of a smartpot.
And if using smartpots the clogging is not really any concern.. and.. this way there is NO risk of flooding if the inner medium-container is "inside" the bigger container.

Well, maybe Ill just stand here sounding like a retard cus I missed something out..

Whats it gonna be!?

Best regards!
Fem~

I think one of the key features of the ppk is the media wick with air gap that enables wicking nutrients from the reservoir below, in case of pump/timer failure and to allow extra watering between pulses or floods. This also pulls the perched water table down below media container. I think a couple people have made ppks with smart pots for the upper container, you just have to find a way to attach the tail piece or otherwise get some sort of wick going.

Without the wick a saturation pulse ppk is just an ebb and flood tub.

D

DaveTheNewbie

yeah the tailpiece serves a couple of roles. It pulls the PWT out of the main bucket, and it allows wicking for a consistent media dampness

DamnUglyDogE

Learning the rules well,so as to break them effect
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Was wondering who would get that response. Lol..
Seems questions always welcomed and answers sure ta come..

I like it. ..

Man I'm :n a good mood. ..

forkup

A bit of my update to my last post about starting seed in turface, sorry to clog your thread D9 but I feel it's important.

About 3-4 days in I noticed the seedlings didn't look as good as I hoped, leaves were already yellowing which was way early in my past experience. I was feeding them with flora nova bloom at 300 ppm plus my 75 ppm tap water so I upped the ppm to 500 plus my tap water for the last 2 days. Some look a bit better today but a few are showing calcium defiencies. I have to think the turface has a higher CEC than I had been led to believe so next time I'll precharge the turface if I start seed with it again.

I used screened turface altho I originally meant to use the fines from screening. I just used 9 oz party cups and imo they dry a bit too quick so next time I'll be sure to use the fines. Hope this helps if anyone else tries to start seed in turface.

hotboxes

Hey there D9 had to stop by and let you know that my ppk plant out performed the others by 300% totaling 3/4 lb trimmed buds I know its not setting any records here but I smashed mmy own personal best with it. My hat is off to you my friend.

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
Hi there!

I am really impressed with the PPK system, great work! :)
Currently I am planning on running a perpetual SOG PPK similar to Doc Crow(https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=248868) and petemoss(https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=95049).

It seem's that Jack’s Professional 5-12-26 Hydroponic and Jack’s Professional 15-0-0 Calcium Nitrate play a big role in the success of a PPK system.

The problem is that currently their site (http://www.jrpeters.com/) states: United States and Canada only. Sorry, but we are unable to process international orders at this time.

I am located in Europe. It seems that the only way I can get those nutes are from amazon.com. And then it's like $49.99 for 5lb Jack's Hydro, $35.99 for 5lbs Jacks Calcium Nitrate and $64.99 for shipping.

Are there any similar alternative nute solutions for me with:
Total Nitrogen (N) 5%
Available Phosphate (P2O5) 12%
Soluble Potash (K2O) 26%

Hopefully something that I can get easily in Europe.

Any help will be much appreciated.
Best regards.

howdy! welcome and thank you!

on your side of the pond Haifa Chemicals from Israel supplies most of the greenhouse vegetable growers as well as a lot of other agricultural types. their Poly Feed GG line has one product in particular that i think is most suitable for the ppk.

in the second table on this page you can see 9-10-38. it is all nitrate nitrogen and has double micros.

you will probably need to supplement magnesium sulphate with some strains.

it, like jack's. is a 2 part product and they will be able to tell you how much calcium nitrate to add to get to an approx 3-1-4 ratio.

with jack's i get an approx 3-1-4 ratio but with a different starting point, 5-12-26.

since you are starting at 9-10-38 if you use this product, you will need a different ratio.

once you get that nitrogen to about 30 you would have 30-10-38, or very close to 3-1-4.

then dose by ec.

Haifa is a very respected manufacturer of high quality ferts for working farmers.

they are also involved with the legal medical cannabis supply in israel and have done testing on the plant.

good luck and thank you for your interest!

d9

http://www.haifa-group.com/products/plant_nutrition/water_soluble_fertilizers/poly_feed_gg/

SecondAttempt

My seedling are doing well in 9oz party cups... bottom fed with a little extra water in the tray to keep them from drying... Also took clones in my Walmart world class cloner, one tray of turface fines the other with vermiculite... Fines outperformed verm big time. Now I'm bottom feeding the clones until I decide what todo with them. I took too many because I'm not used to this success rate.

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
holy crap!! this is awesome. wonder how this will work with tire valves... think they can handle the pressure? could use that welding air line hose (red) over tire valves and get tons of tire valves in a 4x4x4.....

it would work fine with tire valves. they make them in 6x6x4, 8x8x4, and 12x12x6.

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran

Anyways...

Whats it gonna be!?

Best regards!

Fem~

hey! and a big welcome to you, too!

i encourage experimentation but if you just want to knock something together real fast that is absolutely proven to grow monster plants with low effort, the version you see here in this thread is my personal best build.

it is very balanced from a flow perspective.

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
A bit of my update to my last post about starting seed in turface, sorry to clog your thread D9 but I feel it's important.

About 3-4 days in I noticed the seedlings didn't look as good as I hoped, leaves were already yellowing which was way early in my past experience. I was feeding them with flora nova bloom at 300 ppm plus my 75 ppm tap water so I upped the ppm to 500 plus my tap water for the last 2 days. Some look a bit better today but a few are showing calcium defiencies. I have to think the turface has a higher CEC than I had been led to believe so next time I'll precharge the turface if I start seed with it again.

I used screened turface altho I originally meant to use the fines from screening. I just used 9 oz party cups and imo they dry a bit too quick so next time I'll be sure to use the fines. Hope this helps if anyone else tries to start seed in turface.

i start seeds in the same containers i clone in using the regular screened turface.

i presoak the turface for at least an hour in the same 300 ppm flora nova bloom formula i clone in.

i have never had any issues in turface with seedlings.

the cec of turface mvp is 32 meq/100, which is moderate.

i keep the top on the clone containers until the seed pops out.

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
Hey there D9 had to stop by and let you know that my ppk plant out performed the others by 300% totaling 3/4 lb trimmed buds I know its not setting any records here but I smashed mmy own personal best with it. My hat is off to you my friend.

only 300%? you must have screwed up somewhere!