What's new

big plant ppk

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
D9 are your plants sitting on something to raise them a bit above the level of the bottom of the res? I'm wondering if this is needed to drain out the water from the buckets after the pulse or does it all just flow back and stabilize?

Do you use the same lines when flowering is done or get new garden hose?

My test ppk is doing really amazing and so far I've transplanted about 8 plants from soil into an interim wick ppk setup till I get the main ppk going.
I found some rectangular containers from uline that I think will work well. Basically the same size as the tuff tubs but they might be better for spacing for my setup.

they are just stuck in a finger hole to the bottom then i pull them back up about 1/2".

there is no need to further drain as in a ppk there should be no standing water in the medium after a pulse.

the water is removed by capillary siphon.

i intend to use these lines indefinitely. it took a year for a .170 id drip tube to clog.

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
It JUST keeps getting better..
How much easier could cloning get...

Are u pulse feeding or just let them sit in wick fed medium ?

these are just stuck in behind a transplant in the open air in a regular growing container and pulse set up with the intended transplant. but i think i'll be starting them in their own containers soon.

starting a cut in a 7 gal container. but larger cuts than these, maybe.

now that i'm on the subject, i'm finding that a full flood every 90 minutes to be about right with turface screened to 33% afp with a 4.5 inch depth. in my room, with my environment, etc.

real ting

Found these containers for 9.98 today at menards. http://www.maccourt.com/products/ponds/pp2607.html. They are heavy duty and would work great for growing really large plants.

They look to be real similar to the real wood 10800. The only thing you might need is some sort of spacer so they sit nicely on the buckets, since the bottoms aren't flat. Rigid styrofoam insulation cut to fit works great, just don't use too thick of a piece or the water level will high in the bottom bucket with a 3" air gap, and it could overflow a bit when you flood the tubs. I'd say 1/2-3/4" rigid styrofoam insulation would be about right.

these are just stuck in behind a transplant in the open air in a regular growing container and pulse set up with the intended transplant. but i think i'll be starting them in their own containers soon.

starting a cut in a 7 gal container. but larger cuts than these, maybe.

now that i'm on the subject, i'm finding that a full flood every 90 minutes to be about right with turface screened to 33% afp with a 4.5 inch depth. in my room, with my environment, etc.

cloning straight into the 7 gal containers? Streamlined, I dig it!

I tried out seed starting in straight washed turface, using tom hill's method described here:https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=133907

Worked great, just as well as coco or soil, but the turface made it a real pain in the ass to transplant from the nursery flats. I didn't lose any, it was close though. It'd be real easy to butter finger it and break a spindly lil stem right in half, or tear the taproot clean off. If I were to do it again I'd keep the turface but start em in bigger containers, solo cups or something the size of those tubs d9 showed for cloning a page or so ago.

SecondAttempt

You mean like this Real Ting.... works great

Female seeds White Widow X Big Bud germed in paper towel and placed in Solo yesterday..

Same as above but placed in Solo 1 day earlier

PAY NO ATTENTION TO THE BRAINFREEZE OR STRAWBERRY DIESEL KUSH CLONES IN THE BACKGROUND...

The seedling is Reeferman Skunk that I actually started in the fines of Turface then transplanted...This was done as an experiment in case it didn't work the seed was free and I'm unsure if I want to deal with the odor. This plant is about 10 days above ground and looking great.

These are small solos (9 oz.) sitting in a clone tray of weak E.C./5.8pH feed bottom feed, and lit by a 110 watt 2 bulb PLL flourescent. fixture

Turface is amazing.

Greetings
Has anyone run MVP unscreened in a mix with turkey grit? If so, in what ratos?

Oh and BTW Delta...thanks for explaining about the "50 Ways"

DamnUglyDogE

Learning the rules well,so as to break them effect
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I could see a single wide mobile home in my back yard with a set up like that in a few years...

Looking awesome bro...

Every time I look in your thread..
Ya make me dream, bigger and bigger dreams. .

Work that magic, bro...

Peace...

Last edited:

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
What is the silver device hanging in the first picture of post 506? I see this all the time.

that's the microphone. "get ready to rummmbbbllleee!"

SA, that's the co2 sensor that comes with the sentinel controller. i have it in the center of the grow.

Last edited:

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
D9 any issues with fungus gnats in the ppk?

i've spotted a couple but they seem to have trouble getting established with the sealed room and turface.

at this point i'm sure that i was importing gnats in my coco as the whole time i ran coco it was continuous warfare with them.

with turface i get one once in a while and i set off a bomb and that's it for a while.

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
That's what I figured... I won't be able to go sealed until I move. So does the sheetrock hold the stink in?

my room has no sheet rock. it's all fiberglass insulation, foam board, and reflectix with taped seams and caulked at the floor.

the reflectix is pretty much an airtight bag. the room is very conservative on propane for the burner.

forkup

My first experiment with starting seed in turface is going well with no issues at all. I soaked it with floranova bloom at 300 ppm the same way D9 treats his clones.

Cleaning turface is a bigger pita then I figured, I found a large bowl sized collander that I used to screen with then I washed out the dust. That worked for me better than window screening but still sux.

Those plastic clamps I mentioned in my last post were the correct size and work great to hold the tail piece in position and also to hold the window screen on the end.

I still have a few more items to pick up to complete the system which I need to complete asap because clones are on order. I should be ready to fire up the big lights very soon.

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
My first experiment with starting seed in turface is going well with no issues at all. I soaked it with floranova bloom at 300 ppm the same way D9 treats his clones.

Cleaning turface is a bigger pita then I figured, I found a large bowl sized collander that I used to screen with then I washed out the dust. That worked for me better than window screening but still sux.

Those plastic clamps I mentioned in my last post were the correct size and work great to hold the tail piece in position and also to hold the window screen on the end.

I still have a few more items to pick up to complete the system which I need to complete asap because clones are on order. I should be ready to fire up the big lights very soon.

screening turface is not feasible for some people for one reason or another. when i lived in an apartment i sure as hell would not have had a 25' slide.

whatever your reasons there is nothing wrong with cutting it with rice hulls or perlite. i have grown many plants now in a turface ricehull or turface perlite mixture.

i used it in a wave pulse scenario at approx 3/1 turface/whatever.

in a saturation flood some will float up and form a layer on top but the majority of it will be trapped by the turface.

i'm currently growing one in the bag of napa 8822 de i had laying around. it 's definitely more soft than turface and will crumble but doesn't turn muddy and maintains it's structure. at least long enough for a grow.

i also screened it and not much went through the screen so that supports a personal message i got about just washing it in a tub with holes in it being good enough.

maybe something like a 18 gal tub with a bunch of 1/8" holes drilled in the bottom.

this could be done in a bathtub.

icdog

Hey d9 how do you split off your pulse lines? I can't find a pic of that. I have to split of a line to 8 containers, then for 18.

I just found those pics and sorta answered my question. I can't do your pulse line setup yet so I have to split the hose somehow 8 times.