What's new

big plant ppk

O

otis33

whatever that gray box is connecting everything would have made my most recent ppk build so much cleaner.... next time I decide to build, I will just put it off a couple weeks so I can get the newest design and components. I almost want to just start over since my latest is three interlocking donuts. I love this thread.

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
Morning D9, 'nother PPK convert here.

1st off thanks for your contributions, sharing your knowledge and experience is very much appreciated.

Just got my system up and running yesterday. I have a couple of concerns, hoping you could help.

Even though I screened and washed the Turface, my buckets and rez bottoms are coated with silt. Started with Jack's at 1200ec, couple cycles later it's 1500ec. I added some RO, dropping it to 1300ec and let it go over night.

Figured I would drain and clean everything this morning, then restart with fresh Jack's. Thought I had washed it well, obviously not. Next one I add to the system, I'll suspend the tubs with tailpieces outside on the lawn and really do an extensive pour through with tap water. My tap is liquid concrete, up 450ppm! Then I'll flush with RO, then Jack's.

Question about measuring Jack's and CalNit....should I weigh the ferts going in or should I aim for 700ec Jack's and then up the ec to 1200 with the Calnit? Started at 2.6g's of Jack's and 1.7g's of CalN. First batch I tried each way and had different results, nothing too far off, but it seemed as though using the dry weights was higher in Jack's and slightly less CalNit. Compared with the amount I used following my conductivity meter.

How much should I sweat the Ph? 1st hydro style for me, always been a dirt guy with Ph in the mid 6's. Current reads are 1360ec at a Ph of 4.7

Installed 3 young'uns last night into the 1st 3 ppk's. They look good this morning. An OG, a Sour Jones, and a Master Bubba Kush all high fivin' this morning with their tips up. Plan on 4 or 5 on the Veg area, and 8 in the Flower. Perpetual, one plant in and one plant out each week. 1 or 2 400w mh in veg and 3 or 4 1k hps for flower.

More to follow...I'll post a couple pics.

Thanks for any help you can send this way.

Rip

howdy and welcome! thank you!

i see most of your questions have been answered but just rinsing the turface by flushing water through it is not good enough. it needs to be immersed in running water and turned over with a shovel or a hoe.

i use one of those black square cement tubs from lowes.

it will never run perfectly clear no matter how many times you wash it but if you do this the first time it becomes easier to clean.

i can clean the roots out of a root ball faster than i can process new turface.

the silt is not a major contributor to ph change. it's pretty much inert at about 6.2.

the rise in ec is most likely because you are consuming more water than nutes so back the input down a little until it stops.

i don't use weight to measure jack's. you are better off using your ec meter.

i hope this helps and welcome again!

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
Hmm, ok then I did find the correct parts I was expecting to find something with o-rings or seals I guess. I've found 2" bulkheads online but they are expensive. I thought about using uni-seals. I guess I'll head back to lowes. I need to care of this today, it's the last piece to the puzzle. Thanks for the help.

Good luck with your setup ripvanweed it looks like you're a few days ahead of me :)

http://www.dudadiesel.com/cone_tanks.php

these people have cheap through fittings but the 2" ones are massive in outer diameter and require a 3" hole so long as you are aware.

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
Good info here! My ph kept dropping to the 4-5 range at around 1.4EC when I first filled up the system. I think the turface can add to it initially, when I soaked a solo cup of rinsed screened turface in PH8 .05EC water for an hour it came out pretty acidic and 1.0 EC

welcome and thank you, too!

RipVanWeed

Thank you Disciple. Thank you Delta.

On the washing thing, I did the tub stuff. Next time a couple of pour thru's for me.

As for the current silt, once I quit cycling repeatedly to adjust the timer, it 's all settled to the bottom and everythings running clear. I'll get it cleaned outta there as I reconfigure for expansion.

Delta, do you have any feedback on the hard water usage? As I'm just getting going with these things, switching early on would be good. I just read the kitchen tap at 500ec/350ppm.

If I do try using my city water.......bubble out chlorine, Jack's to 1200ec, then CalNit to 1700ec? Prolly pinched back to 1500ec total for awhile while they establish, think it would be OK?

Thanks again

Rip

forkup

http://www.dudadiesel.com/cone_tanks.php

these people have cheap through fittings but the 2" ones are massive in outer diameter and require a 3" hole so long as you are aware.

That's the best price I've seen on bulkheads that large. I ended up using the 2" carlon fittings but I cut a large rubber gasket down to sandwich between the fitting and res. I couldn't find an o-ring that big at home depot. That plumbers goop is some good stuff!

RipVanWeed 500ec/350ppm...you must have a meter that uses .7 as a conversion factor whereas in these threads everyone speaks in terms of .5 conversion factor. 500ec should equal 250ppm. Maybe this is causing your confusion?

It's always best to use EC as the standard so there is no confusion imo.

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
whatever that gray box is connecting everything would have made my most recent ppk build so much cleaner.... next time I decide to build, I will just put it off a couple weeks so I can get the newest design and components. I almost want to just start over since my latest is three interlocking donuts. I love this thread.

hey, those gray boxes are just electrical junction boxes from lowes.

this is the last build i'll do at this location. i'm tired of building and rebuilding. i'm just going to operate this for a while.

but i can still play with lights.

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
Thank you Disciple. Thank you Delta.

On the washing thing, I did the tub stuff. Next time a couple of pour thru's for me.

As for the current silt, once I quit cycling repeatedly to adjust the timer, it 's all settled to the bottom and everythings running clear. I'll get it cleaned outta there as I reconfigure for expansion.

Delta, do you have any feedback on the hard water usage? As I'm just getting going with these things, switching early on would be good. I just read the kitchen tap at 500ec/350ppm.

If I do try using my city water.......bubble out chlorine, Jack's to 1200ec, then CalNit to 1700ec? Prolly pinched back to 1500ec total for awhile while they establish, think it would be OK?

Thanks again

Rip

the water sounds scary but you won't know until you try it.

or just get a reverse osmosis filter.

something doesn't sound right about your figures. when you say 1700ec do you mean ec 1.7?

i have a bluelab meter that reads 3 scales. i use the .5 scale and at that scale you should try 600 ppm total, which is 360 ppm jacks and 240 ppm calcinit.

or ec 1.2 total.

so in ec, that would be .72 jacks and .48 calcinit or ec 1.2 total.

i would try it ignoring the tap water component to start with and see if any problems develop.

rinse off an ice cube from the same source and if it is clear or mostly clear you are fine.

if it has any white looking stuff in the center that is the minerals that have migrated to center during the freezing process.

if it is less than about 1/2 white it is probably ok.

if it is more than 1/2 white you may have trouble.

if it is all white you will definitely have problems and if it has any color at all like a yellow or red tinge don't even drink it much less use it on your plants.

really i have gotten to the point where i fill a brute 44 to the same level about 2" down from the top and throw in 5 tablespoons of jack's, stir, and throw in 5 tablespoons of calcinit, stir, and walk off.

i mix into an empty container each time no partial fills or top offs.

coming from dirt and the complexities of soil fertilization, you will find this to be extremely simple.

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
That's the best price I've seen on bulkheads that large. I ended up using the 2" carlon fittings but I cut a large rubber gasket down to sandwich between the fitting and res. I couldn't find an o-ring that big at home depot. That plumbers goop is some good stuff!

RipVanWeed 500ec/350ppm...you must have a meter that uses .7 as a conversion factor whereas in these threads everyone speaks in terms of .5 conversion factor. 500ec should equal 250ppm. Maybe this is causing your confusion?

It's always best to use EC as the standard so there is no confusion imo.

i'm glad you brought this up as ghudda was having seal problems with the o-ring carlon fittings.

mine all worked fine until i kicked one and broke the seal and then pulled one sideways a little too much and it leaked, too.

i'm pulling them all out one at a time and removing the o-rings and sealing with goop.

but i don't use o-rings or gaskets with the male and female adapters.

high life 45

Seen your Member?
Veteran
Hey everyone Ive been really busy lately so I just thought Id share with ppk central that Im getting 1" a day growth rates.:dance013:
This is in a 10x20' room with ONLY 3 1000w bulbs hung vertically in the room.
Thats only 15 watts per sq ft.
These plants aren't all cramped next to the bulbs either, they are evenly spaced through out the room. Some plants are over 6' away...the c02 isn't turned on.....

D9:tiphat::thank you:

HL45 over and out

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
Hey everyone Ive been really busy lately so I just thought Id share with ppk central that Im getting 1" a day growth rates.:dance013:
This is in a 10x20' room with ONLY 3 1000w bulbs hung vertically in the room.
Thats only 15 watts per sq ft.
These plants aren't all cramped next to the bulbs either, they are evenly spaced through out the room. Some plants are over 6' away...the c02 isn't turned on.....

D9:tiphat::thank you:

HL45 over and out

only an inch? you must be screwing up somewhere!

RipVanWeed

Yeah, I'm all over the ec/conversion to ppm issue. I won't mention ppm's anymore. The meters all read the electrical conductivity then convert either way to ppm. In my previous calling I used these meters everyday. Shouldn't have thrown that ppm figure out there. 1700 microsiemens = 1.7 siemens, or sumpin' like that.

Think I'll stick with RO for now.

Thanks, Rip

Big John

Yeah, I'm all over the ec/conversion to ppm issue. I won't mention ppm's anymore. The meters all read the electrical conductivity then convert either way to ppm. In my previous calling I used these meters everyday. Shouldn't have thrown that ppm figure out there. 1700 microsiemens = 1.7 siemens, or sumpin' like that.

Think I'll stick with RO for now.

Thanks, Rip

It's actually 1.7 millisiemens, or mS, but you can just say EC 1.7 and people will know what you are talking about :)

Good to see ppm/ec issue addressed here in this thread. PPM figures always throw me, you never know whether they are talking .5, .7, or one of several other conversion factors. So much easier to just use EC!

high life 45

Seen your Member?
Veteran
My good friend just got two 32 site undercurrents... Ill be keeping track of growth rates, compared to the ppk, and will give an honest opinion on its performance.
We will see how well that chilled watered compares to the wicking love machine.

Latest posts

Latest posts