What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

My Perpetual SOG Cabinets are Finally Finished!

petemoss

Hi fellow potheads, I'm back after many years and am growing in a cabinet now...actually two cabinets.
These are the cabinets I'm using. The shorter cab on the left is for mothers and clones. I found it in Craigslist as a solid pine TV / wardrobe cabinet. Lighting is CFL's mounted on the walls and ceiling. The lower compartments are used for storage. In the future, I could use the lower part for mothers and clones and convert the top compartment to a flowering cab. Everything would be contained in one cab. For now, I'll just use the top part for mothers and clones.

The flowering cab is a six-foot tall wardrobe cabinet, solid pine from an unfinished furniture store. 2'X3'X6' Originally, this was supposed to be a SCROG cab. But as I was building it, I began to read Dr. Budgreengenes' threads at the grasscity forum and then here at ICM. His innovative ideas and SOG method just turned my head around and made me realize that a perpetual SOG was exactly what I needed for a steady personal supply. Whether I can keep up with the intense and time consuming maintenance, watering and cloning remains to be seen!

The flowering wardrobe cab has a movable bottom shelf with room for a res underneath for future hydro setups. Right now I'm just using the bottom area to store my soil in kitty litter pails. The cab is lit with a 250 watt HPS/MH digital ballast -one of those purple Lumateks. Ventilation is provided by a 170 cfm centrigual fan that sucks air through a Can filter then a DIY bake-around cooltube and out the window. Intakes are darkroom louvers on the bottom.

Due to some personal issues, I had to close down for a few weeks and ditch my plants. I'll start up again in August hopefully. Just wanted to show everyone my interpretation of Doc's system using two cabs. This gives me room to play with the mothers and clones. The extra height in the flower cab will be useful until I learn to control the height of the plants. In the future, after I have the system dialed in, I could do everything in the shorter cab alone.

Last edited:

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Beauty furniture there, petemoss!
Lookin good.
You could run haze in the big boy and an indica SOG/moms/clones in the smaller.

petemoss

Thanks for stopping by hoosierdaddy! You're one of the premier cab builders here and I've admired your DIY skills.

Digital, I thought about putting the louvers on the back, but was afraid the cooler air would just go up the backside and out the top without much circulation throughout the cab. The cab is exhausted out the top back wall with a computer fan pushing warm air out the back. I know it looks ugly, but I can fix it somewhat with some paint. Does this look better?

Now no one will come into my home office/ golf club warehouse and say "what the heck is THAT?"

Last edited:

petemoss

Starting Over

Starting Over

I had to ditch my Blueberry seedlings and close shop for a few weeks. Bummer, but shit happens :joint:

Tried to start some old (like 5 years) Nirvana Pure Power Plant seeds but they were too dried out to germinate. Now I'm staring over with some fresh new seeds of Legends Ultimate Indica (LUI). I want to develop a couple of good mothers and get my DrBud SOG going. Though the seeds were small and light colored, I got 11 of 15 to germinate. The four seeds that didn't make it were due to my carelessness- let them dry out when the humidity was low :bashhead: Some Serious AK-47 seeds are waiting in the wings :rasta:

E

eLiguL

GJ on the cab bro, I have a setup similar to yours. My veg cab is 2Hx2Wx3L ft. and my flowering cab is 5Hx2Wx3L ft. My veg cab has four 42w warm white cfls and my flowering cab has a 250w homemade cooltube.

Im almost complete my first run in this cab and will have detailed pics of my girls (dry weight, finishing height, clone structure).

GL on your journey!

petemoss

Hey eLiguL, we think alike! Yeah, I really like the extra working room with two cabs.
My flower area is five sq feet -perfect for a 250 HPS I figure. I'll be very interested in seeing your first run results so I know what to expect. Are you doing a perpetual or normal grow?

E

eLiguL

petemoss said:
Hey eLiguL, we think alike! Yeah, I really like the extra working room with two cabs.
My flower area is five sq feet -perfect for a 250 HPS I figure. I'll be very interested in seeing your first run results so I know what to expect. Are you doing a perpetual or normal grow?

Im just doing a normal grow, im too lazy to do a perpetual... :badday:

I have ten in 700ml bottles, four in 2liter bottles and four in a 3gal grobag.

When your taking clones try to avoid having more than 1 main stem if you are not cutting a top. I find that the clones that grew in a V shape didnt yield/grow as much because they had 2 main stems.

raygun

Looking good Pete! Looks like you decided to not go wtih the bio buckets in the cab. I too have switched to a simi perpetual coco grow. I like that I can run multiple strains and have different types more readily available. It is a bit more work but also a bit more giving in variety. I'll run about 6 at a time with harvesting 2 every 2 or so weeks.

You should give coco a try. Benifits of hydro growth with abaility to hand water like soil for your flush with out needing to have a separate res and all the issue with trying to go perpetual hydro. You could set up a separate res if you were going to be away but who would go away durring the flush?

petemoss

Hello again, raygun! We bio bucketeers seem to be a dying breed. I still have a bio cab setup in my head involving eight troughs - a bio SOG! But for now, I'm trying out the latest craze, micro SOG DrBud style.

How are you using that coco? Replacing soil with coco and hand watering with organic nutes?

raygun

I use 100% coco in the white 3.2 lt(?) square pots.I have it on a recirc driper set up with multiple drip lines for each pot so that as they grow I can add an additional dripper to the plant to accomodate its water needs.
When it comes time to flush I remove the drippers from the flushing plants and flush them till the water runs as clear as possible. Then just hand water with a good dose of pure H2O1-2 times a day for 7-10 days.

I run GH Floranova series with some mollasas, hygrozyme(sp) and Kool Bloom powder form. So its not 100% organic but the Floranova is derived from organic minerals what ever that be.

I have room to keep 8 in there so if I run a longer flowering strain I can still keep it in there for a couple of weeks with out it getting in the way of the new ones coming in.

I'll have a new grow show in about 1 week and will probably add that to my sig so keep a look out. I have to start from scratch with seeds so it will be a full house, then moving on to the perpetual after that 1st harvest. I'll save a seat for you.

petemoss

Sounds good, raygun. So it's still a hydro system using hydro nutes. That Floranova I believe is the same as the Lucas ratio I was using for Bio, only in one part but still 0-8-16 Too bad it has to be so dark and stains the roots like the old GH Flora Micro.

As you prolly know, I'm a keep-it-simple guy and try to avoid all additives, but two things you use that I've been meaning to try is molasas (how do u spell that?) and coco. They seem to have merit and even the old timers use them now. I just ordered some chicken shit ("composted chicken manure") for $7 plus $26 shipping! They said I needed to make a minimum $10 order so I threw in a couple of coco bricks. My small pots are not draining fast enough, so I'll replace some of the peat with coco and see how it goes. If anyone needs chicken shit, I'll have about 40 lbs of it soon LOL.

raygun

Cool beans Pete, Yeah it is bacially still the same hydro system I had going for my Bio-Buckets but now I have it hooked on a timer and a manifold delivering the water 3 times a day.
I like to try and keep it simple myself hence the one part Floranova but I also use the floralicious and Plus so I guess that is making it more complicated but all that I have is good things come from using that stuff.

The molasses is a good thing I would recomend it my plants would too. The Kool Bloom I have had basically since I started growing. Don't need much of that stuff and it really helps plump up the buds.

You should try to do a couple of pure coco plants. I don't know how the coco works with the soil other than ariate it like perlite but it will hold more water than perlite so you might not need to water as much.

Save Growing

petemoss

It's been a while since my last update, so this is what the cabs look like now.
I ended up with six LUI mothers and will grow out their clones and choose the best mums to keep. I'd like to keep them all, but my veg cab is getting crowded!

These LUI are fairly short and compact. After three weeks flowering, the stretch seems to have stopped and they will end up about 12" tall in the 20 oz bottles. The next clones will go into one liter bottles and get vegged to 5"-6" before I throw them into the flower cab. Good thing I have plenty of room in my veg cab and can grow the clones a bit before flowering.

Last edited:
E

eclurker

Everything looks nice and healthy. Are you following the doc's feeding regimen?

petemoss

Yes, I'm following DrBud's feed methods. But just tonight I started using H3ad's modified Lucas feed of 0-6-9. It's in a sticky in the coco forum. I've replaced most of the peat moss with coco, so I thought I'd just treat the coco like a hydro grow and use my old GH hydro nutes. The flowering plants really picked up and seem to like the new feed.

Last edited:
E

eclurker

Very nice. I love it when you can tell the plants are happy and just reaching for the light like in your last picture. I am currently working on a similar set up, using a sog style organic/coco mix with organic teas. I hope to see similar success to your own. Ill be looking to your grow for inspiration, thanks for sharing!

petemoss

Thanks for stopping by, eclurker. Organic is the way I'll eventually go too. Have you been following DrBud's grow?
He's recently gone to an organic tea feed and reports much better root mass. Something in the chemical nutes hurting the mycorhizae fungi? That's my guess.

I've gone back to the Schultz because the GH nutes were too acidic and my plants didn't react well to the PH swings. The yellowing leaves I attribute to some kind of nute lockout/ PH swing. Better to go back to the old feed they are used to. The plants are looking good, with the two oldest at 27 day of flowering. These LUI are fairly short stocky plants. With another four weeks of fattening, I'm envisioning some nice fat buds!