What's new

Big Clones.....and air layers.....

FatherEarth

Veteran
Thats great but..... dont you have bugs where you live???

no we got them, Im just not scared of them. Bugs are good. I also use 1 yard of soil per light indoors so you could say my style is unorthodox. I grow clover and , shade loving grass and oats with my cannabis too... Im crazy like that...lol:laughing:

Budley Doright

Veteran
no we got them, Im just not scared of them. Bugs are good. I also use 1 yard of soil per light indoors so you could say my style is unorthodox. I grow clover and , shade loving grass and oats with my cannabis too... Im crazy like that...lol:laughing:

You are a better man than me..... Im scared to death of them myself...:biggrin:

Budley Doright

Veteran
Welcome to the world of stickiness....

I want to give big props to payaso for seeing the potential here....

Thanks dude.....

the best is on the horizon....

I do have a confession....

I know who nominated this thread to be a sticky.....

Me......

I HAVE A DREAM....... lol

What if you took the airlayered branch with roots and LST it down and put into the soil. The plant would have another place to suck up water and nutes..

Budley Doright

Veteran
Im going to be moving to hydro very shortly.....

Im making a clone run this weekend I believe....

and will be coming back with all kinds of cool stuff.....

I use promix in the summer usually....

I plan to do one experiment in promix....where I prepare the stems.....

then simply bury them....

After that I will be using something very similar to what my friend mr ichy did....

some sort of container......it may in fact be what he did...... Im just not there yet....

One difference however.......

I will be using vermiculite.....

I use fine grade in my cloner..... I will probably use a coarser grade for the medium inside the bottle....

Vermiculite when washed falls away from the roots..... leaving me with very little left.....

I use turface for medium ......I use a sort of flood and drain.....but I use a bell syphon system..... long story.....

Budley Doright

Veteran
JUst for fun.....

not an experiment ....just an opinion.....

In post 142..pic 3......

Mr ichy posts his first ever airlayer....

He shows it to scale with a 1 gallon jug....

In my book that is a 3 day clone...... 3 days since it was cut from mommy....

So here is the question to ask your self.....

how long would it take your plant to get that big....

Is it one week out of the cloner....

2 weeks.....

3....... weeks.....

lol???

Im going to suggest most folks would be lucky to get that size in three weeks...

But I also dont think that layering has any particular size limitation....

Since your cutting is supported by mom until it roots sufficiently....

DoubleTripleOG

Chemdog & Kush Lover Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
scrape area ,apply rooting hormone whatever... add moist moss or similar,wrap in saran wrap or similar ,wait for roots and keep moist.. a syringe is handy for adding moisture if needed...yeehaw .. that's it in a nutshell..could be handy for those with numbers limits that actually obey them..

So that's all it takes? So I can take a 1" rockwool cube, split it in half, scrape a stem, wet it, apply rooting hormone, put half of the cube on each opposing side, wrap with saran wrap, and wait?

I'm gonna do this later on today, just for shits and gig's.

Budley Doright

Veteran
So that's all it takes? So I can take a 1" rockwool cube, split it in half, scrape a stem, wet it, apply rooting hormone, put half of the cube on each opposing side, wrap with saran wrap, and wait?

I'm gonna do this later on today, just for shits and gig's.

IMO.... the secret to success is found to be very careful in removing all the green material.....

So far there has not been one failure.....

Other ways of treating the stem may also work.... this is the method I use..... Im anal about getting all the green stuff from the ring....

IM using rapid rooters....about the same size....

be very careful on the placement over the wound..... the roots grow from the clone side of the wound....

One other thing..... I have been putting hormone on both the cube and the cutting....but it may not matter....

One other thing... I didnt even think about.... I say this stem process is like an operation....

I also use a 3x set of reading glasses for this work....

Edgey

6 days in and roots are showing
I'll be using this method for clones from now on :)
Next time I'll try a larger clone

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
What a problem you all seem to have. I guess numbers aren't a big concern in a lot of places anymore. For me, a clone is a replacement for its mother and the mother gets flowered. Given flowering takes a set amount of time, the question is how to keep the clone small enough while the mother is flowering.

The reason for that is that clearly big plants produce more than little ones, but given flowering times are set, the idea of veging time not being long enough seems odd. If you can't take a small c!one to size in two months, then its not the size that you are taking your clones that is the problem. You need more light in your veging area.

When it comes to clones, the biggest diff comes from the number of nodes available on the clone for new growth to come from. Too this end I top branches all over the clone to grow a bush. These branches then make excellent clones, and they take off in flower.

Edgey

What a problem you all seem to have. I guess numbers aren't a big concern in a lot of places anymore. For me, a clone is a replacement for its mother and the mother gets flowered. Given flowering takes a set amount of time, the question is how to keep the clone small enough while the mother is flowering.

The reason for that is that clearly big plants produce more than little ones, but given flowering times are set, the idea of veging time not being long enough seems odd. If you can't take a small c!one to size in two months, then its not the size that you are taking your clones that is the problem. You need more light in your veging area.

When it comes to clones, the biggest diff comes from the number of nodes available on the clone for new growth to come from. Too this end I top branches all over the clone to grow a bush. These branches then make excellent clones, and they take off in flower.

Running perpetual means we don't get 2 months veg time so if a bigger clone or keeping a usable clone attached to the mother helps greatly , numbers are important in the UK or they are for me at least , until the clone is cut from the mother it's not classed as a plant so in theory 16 plants with 16 rooted clones still attached is better than 32 .

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
I never quite got my head around true perp grows. A separate harvest every week seems hard work. I flower 2 or 3 large plants at a time, with a harvest every 4/5 weeks. But each plant is diff, giving plenty of time for the clone to grow into the new flowerer. The hunting area for replacements grows seed to clone to death at rejection. Any other way at this point seems to generate work and numbers without benefit.

Budley Doright

Veteran
I never quite got my head around true perp grows. A separate harvest every week seems hard work. I flower 2 or 3 large plants at a time, with a harvest every 4/5 weeks. But each plant is diff, giving plenty of time for the clone to grow into the new flowerer. The hunting area for replacements grows seed to clone to death at rejection. Any other way at this point seems to generate work and numbers without benefit.
Harvesting 2 or 3 large plants at the same time.... in many places will take you from legal to illegal....

often 1 plant can do this....

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
I talked to a guy Friday who was raided by the police in May. He had a ez cloner full of cuttings with no roots yet. They are trying to charge him with each one counting as a plant.

Numbers matter a lot here. 12 for each patient. Since I flower plants that are 7 to 8 feet tall 8 weeks is pushing it for growth. I look for a certain structure and have to train the plant to grow to that. The plant I air layered on the 19th of last month is doing great. I will be giving it to budley tonight and he can post a picture of it.

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
Edgey what strain did you clone? Mine was headband 707.

If people post their strains we can start to get a idea of what strains work best when air layered. We can also see how much faster that strain would take compared to other ways of cloning.

Edgey

Edgey what strain did you clone? Mine was headband 707.

If people post their strains we can start to get a idea of what strains work best when air layered. We can also see how much faster that strain would take compared to other ways of cloning.

Lonestars killer queen this time .

Started a seed run and will be trying this method on each before I flower :)

Jamaican dream
Dr grinspoon
Acapulco gold
Cherry bomb
Blue lemon Thai
Lemon amnesia
Critical kush ( from clone )

Latest posts

Latest posts