What's new

Big Clones.....and air layers.....

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
So lets test this out proper. Seven air layered plants on one mother taken 45 minutes ago. It has some branches as support that are not to be cloned. Strain is headband 707. Same setup as before.

Look close and you can count the cloning bottles.

Budley Doright

Veteran
Its another good experiment....

Cuttings that far into flower can be tough......

Will this method work better than regular cloning???

I would not be at all surprised...

I dont think unless you are at 18+ for a long time(reveg) that it matters...

Are you planning on revegging the clone???

Budley Doright

Veteran
Its an interesting idea...... revegging an air layer.....

Almost everyone at some time has a plant in flower that you want back.....

The most likely action is to take this thru full flower then reveg....

In your case you get roots in week 6....the plant could be revegged immediately.....

Good experiment....

Budley Doright

Veteran
Last night I had some conversation with mr crane..... I am working on a new air layering container.....

In his arrangement...he uses about 9 oz of medium...

This one as it sits uses 16..... its 5.5 inches tall.....

one that might use about the same volume.....would be about 3.5 inches tall.....

I used a 20 ounce bottle cut off at the label.....

and a neoprene collar from the hydro store.....

I drilled a hole in the bottom and then slit one side down to the hole I drilled...

I used a paper punch for the 2 small holes to tighten the cut side together....

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
Last night I had some conversation with mr crane..... I am working on a new air layering container.....

In his arrangement...he uses about 9 oz of medium...

This one as it sits uses 16..... its 5.5 inches tall.....

one that might use about the same volume.....would be about 3.5 inches tall.....

I used a 20 ounce bottle cut off at the label.....

and a neoprene collar from the hydro store.....

I drilled a hole in the bottom and then slit one side down to the hole I drilled...

I used a paper punch for the 2 small holes to tighten the cut side together....

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=61683&pictureid=1484419&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=61683&pictureid=1484420&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

Clever DIY, I like it! :yes:

Budley Doright

Veteran
Just a little perspective....

Based on the fact that mr cranes plant was at least as tall as I plan to work....

The volume of medium he used seemed about right.....

In the vicinity of 9 or 10 ounces....

I measure the smaller container with 9-10 oz and cut it off so the neoprene would float on top.....

This container at about 3.5 inches will likely be my goto.....

the larger container for really big assed air layers.....

Budley Doright

Veteran
I just came home with a bunch of small bottles of faygo red pop in the 20 oz size.....

I also went to the hydro store for a bunch of neoprene collars.....

about 1 dollar each.....

Im making about a dozen of the little air layering gizmos today......

And a bunch of work on the plants tomorrow....

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
I just came home with a bunch of small bottles of faygo red pop in the 20 oz size.....

I also went to the hydro store for a bunch of neoprene collars.....

about 1 dollar each.....

Im making about a dozen of the little air layering gizmos today......

And a bunch of work on the plants tomorrow....

Faygo? You a closet juggalo? woop woop :laughing:

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
So I screwed up the headband plants. I had thirps and used a dr doom to kill them. Like a dumb ass I set it in the room with out paying attention to where it was spraying. It hit the head band plant and killed two of the clones and several other branches. It did not kill it but messed it up some. So now there are five clones and not seven.

They are still rooting though. One has several root on the side. But some have lost some of the fan leaves and may take a bit to grow them back. When I cut down one of the dead ones it had a few roots on it. I sprayed three nights ago so the roots were from 4 days of cloning. Sorry I did not get a picture of the new roots but here is the plant after my screw up.

Rough huh?

DoubleTripleOG

Chemdog & Kush Lover Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Was checking the air layering attempt I started the night of the 11th today. Low and behold there were already 2 long white bright roots dangling out of the cube. So in 9 days I got roots on a 12" branch. Already cut it off and transplanted into soil.

I love it!!!!!! I didn't do anything to it at all during those 9 days. No misting, no taking care of it at all, nothing!!! Definitely gonna do it again. Next test will be a real nice sized branch with multiple shoots on it. If that works out as fast as the previous, I'm sold on air layering!! Ready to rock plants in less time than regular cloning, I think yes!!

Budley Doright

Veteran
Rough huh?

OUch..... remind me not to use dr doom for thrips.....

I bought some captain jacks and with spinosad....and its the best stuff for thrips...

No toxicity at all for even small clones...

That yogurt cup air layer is very cool....its like a man among boys...:biggrin:

I sent mr yogurt cup a personal msg....Im hoping he joins us here too....

Budley Doright

Veteran
Was checking the air layering attempt I started the night of the 11th today. Low and behold there were already 2 long white bright roots dangling out of the cube. So in 9 days I got roots on a 12" branch. Already cut it off and transplanted into soil.

I love it!!!!!! I didn't do anything to it at all during those 9 days. No misting, no taking care of it at all, nothing!!! Definitely gonna do it again. Next test will be a real nice sized branch with multiple shoots on it. If that works out as fast as the previous, I'm sold on air layering!! Ready to rock plants in less time than regular cloning, I think yes!!

I will often leave my clones in my cloner for 14 days....

In 14 days most of the airlayers have rooted and fully sustainable in those same 14 days....

Edgey

I left mine 7 days then cut the branch , stuck the clone in coco and left it alone . No bag on top and just put in the veg tent with everything else . Didn't wilt and is now growing well .
I've just took normal clones of my new stuff and will be trying this again on each once they've grown

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
So I screwed up the headband plants. I had thirps and used a dr doom to kill them. Like a dumb ass I set it in the room with out paying attention to where it was spraying. It hit the head band plant and killed two of the clones and several other branches. It did not kill it but messed it up some. So now there are five clones and not seven.

They are still rooting though. One has several root on the side. But some have lost some of the fan leaves and may take a bit to grow them back. When I cut down one of the dead ones it had a few roots on it. I sprayed three nights ago so the roots were from 4 days of cloning. Sorry I did not get a picture of the new roots but here is the plant after my screw up.

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=62323&pictureid=1485299&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

Rough huh?

OUch..... remind me not to use dr doom for thrips.....

I bought some captain jacks and with spinosad....and its the best stuff for thrips...

No toxicity at all for even small clones...

That yogurt cup air layer is very cool....its like a man among boys...:biggrin:

I sent mr yogurt cup a personal msg....Im hoping he joins us here too....

I was going to say the same thing about Spinosad. I have Monterray's Garden Spray and the active ingredient is Spinosad. That stuff rocks thrips and it's organic, OMRI listed. I hate that you had the fogger kill off some plants man! At least you still have some others going right?

I keep checking my air layer attempts and haven't seen any roots. All the branches look healthy and fine but nothing working. I'm sure it's because I didn't remove enough of the bark after all. I'll leave the wrapped rockwool on there 'cause you never know but I'm not holding my breath. I'll certainly be trying this again though as it is definitely very interesting.

Budley Doright

Veteran
who dat....

I would agree entirely..... I recall you posted that you didnt ring them completely....

I would not expect them to root easily as they normally do....

I suspect if you dont get roots and carefully ring the branch it will work.....

how many days has it been???

Budley Doright

Veteran
who dat is......I screwed up then. I thought you were supposed to leave a little bit of the outer bark and only scrape two sides of it away. I did that on 6-8 limbs and they all still look healthy so we'll see.

I said at the time that Its a really good experiment..... and very helpful......

In my experiments I have said Im completely anal about making that ring clear of bark and cambium tissue....

In spite of the fact it wasnt intended....hopefully we learned that not removing the bark and cambium completely will be less likely to succeed.....

I hope you go into those areas and tell us what you see.....

then redo the rings and then add rooting compound....

Latest posts

Latest posts