What's new

Big Clones.....and air layers.....

Budley Doright

Veteran
I have a really fun experiment....

and I dont have to do much...

I understand that mr ichy came into a number of regular(eww!!!)clones today......

Maybe for fun..... mr ichy would Post periodic pictures of his new clones....

to see how long...approximately it takes those clones to attain the current size of the fist ever large clone taken in this thread....

I did a few smaller airlayers...... but none like this monster...

One thing I should make clear.... this plant was cut from the mother plant just over a week ago....

Its crazy how big this thing is...Its just over 24 inches and its 10 days old....(since cut from mom)

He grows em straight up.....

How about this mr crane....... let us know when any of the several clones you have reaches 24 inches....

And if anyone has a guess when that will happen post your opinion he has 8 clones of several flavors....

My guess ..... 1 Sept.....

I think it would be interesting to see what 10 day old clones look like as well.....

What do you think old buddy???

Budley Doright

Veteran
Mr crane related to me.... a comment from someone he explained this to...and showed some pics..... post 142

he said its a .....'game changer'....

I love that...... grins...

Treetroit City

Moderately Super
Veteran
Well shit, I was just tipped off to this thread, thanks bud. Don't have time to read this thing now but I will tomorrow. I'm always ready to learn new tricks.

Budley Doright

Veteran
Hey Ichy..... I just had to do the right thing.... with treetroit....

hes STILL using tiny dinky little clones..... pretty pathetic really...

so I sent this guy the link.....

maybe he can up his game a little....

Ya think?????:biggrin:

Budley Doright

Veteran
Here is the headband from post 142

NOt skipping a beat... 24 inches at present..... cut from mom 30 july ..... just under 2 weeks old....

Thank you .... mr crane...:tiphat:

I look at this two week old clone..... and say to myself..... I could put that gal right into flower....TODAY!!!

Amazing...

Budley Doright

Veteran
Well shit, I was just tipped off to this thread, thanks bud. Don't have time to read this thing now but I will tomorrow. I'm always ready to learn new tricks.

I borrowed a comment from your own thread.....

=====================

From the seed plants I'd say these def got some stretch to them. Flipped them around 18 inches I'd guess.

========================

If this air layer is 24 inches..... Id say more than a few folks could find this size acceptable to flower...

Budley Doright

Veteran
The plant in the first post was done using the same sort of method...

The thread is called big clones and air layers...

Ive not tried to do one this large....

Give it a shot..... I bagged mine...... but if you control your humidity larger ones are possible.....

Large clones will need a controlled environment..... and will be living off the rooting plant

Large airlayers.... dont need a controlled environment and it lives off what moma feeds it....

If you look at the plant in 187.... every one of its leaves are beautiful and pristine.....

Ok. I don't want to take away from this wonderful thread, but today I was re-reading this thread and, thanks to some comments I read from sam the skunkman (hopefully he will chime in with thoughts), I thought of a (possibly) great application for this technique. Especially if you have number restrictions that count vegging plants.

Imagine that I have a dialed in pheno that flowers 60 days. During stretch it doubles in size and I want my final size to be 2 feet tall. So I want to go to 12/12 at 1 foot .

Sam the skunkman had mentioned on another thread that he experimented with keeping a single branch of a flowering plant in veg. If you combine that with this air layering technique you could theoretically keep an almost perpetual harvest just by making a small, light proof veg "room" out of a bucket or something

Air layer a bottom branch at the flip of 12/12 and slip the veg-o-matic over it....takes a week or two to root then stays held in veg while waiting for the mother flowering plant to finish. then when the flowering plant gets chopped you chop your air layer (which is hopefully around that 1 foot mark).transplant to a bigger home and give it a week or so to acclimate. Airlayer a bottom branch on the new host plant with the veg-o-matic when u flip to 12/12.

it would make it so you didn't have to keep a veg room and would make so your 1 room would run 12/12 all but the week of acclimation. Almost perpetual.

Mind you that the time line is theoretical. You might have to wait to airlayer after the host plant has flowered a week or so (or before)

Hopefully sam chimes in. He would know more about the hormonal what-nots and such. May cause hermi issues?? Veg branch might try to stretch when the rest of the plant does?? No idea. Just wanted to throw it out there

Ok. I don't want to take away from this wonderful thread, but today I was re-reading this thread and, thanks to some comments I read from sam the skunkman (hopefully he will chime in with thoughts), I thought of a (possibly) great application for this technique. Especially if you have number restrictions that count vegging plants.

Imagine that I have a dialed in pheno that flowers 60 days. During stretch it doubles in size and I want my final size to be 2 feet tall. So I want to go to 12/12 at 1 foot .

Sam the skunkman had mentioned on another thread that he experimented with keeping a single branch of a flowering plant in veg. If you combine that with this air layering technique you could theoretically keep an almost perpetual harvest just by making a small, light proof veg "room" out of a bucket or something

Air layer a bottom branch at the flip of 12/12 and slip the veg-o-matic over it....takes a week or two to root then stays held in veg while waiting for the mother flowering plant to finish. then when the flowering plant gets chopped you chop your air layer (which is hopefully around that 1 foot mark).transplant to a bigger home and give it a week or so to acclimate. Airlayer a bottom branch on the new host plant with the veg-o-matic when u flip to 12/12.

it would make it so you didn't have to keep a veg room and would make so your 1 room would run 12/12 all but the week of acclimation. Almost perpetual.

Mind you that the time line is theoretical. You might have to wait to airlayer after the host plant has flowered a week or so (or before)

Hopefully sam chimes in. He would know more about the hormonal what-nots and such. May cause hermi issues?? Veg branch might try to stretch when the rest of the plant does?? No idea. Just wanted to throw it out there

DoubleTripleOG

Chemdog & Kush Lover Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Just made/tried my first air layered clone last night. I scraped all the outer layer off a branch on a GG#4 mother. Soaked a rockwool cube in cloning solution water, split it in half, sprinkled some cloning powder inside(and rubbed some on the branch) , and put the cube around the branch. wrapped it with the corner of a baggie, and left the top open for fresh air.

Was that the correct process? or should I have not put the plastic around the cube? My thought process told me that , it was no different than a cube in a six pack. Time will tell. Will post updates as they happen.

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
The plastic around helps it to stay moist. So you did it right. The key is getting the scrapping all the way around the stem to break the connection to the roots.

DoubleTripleOG

Chemdog & Kush Lover Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
The plastic around helps it to stay moist. So you did it right. The key is getting the scrapping all the way around the stem to break the connection to the roots.

Oh I got it all off, all the way around it. So much so, that I had to scrap the first one because I cut it in half, lol!!

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
I screwed up then. I thought you were supposed to leave a little bit of the outer bark and only scrape two sides of it away. I did that on 6-8 limbs and they all still look healthy so we'll see.

Budley Doright

Veteran
I screwed up then. I thought you were supposed to leave a little bit of the outer bark and only scrape two sides of it away. I did that on 6-8 limbs and they all still look healthy so we'll see.

Great experiment..... maybe not intended.....but great none the less.....

Im certainly interested.....:tiphat:

The good thing is ....I dont have to do this experiment.....