What's new

Big Clones.....and air layers.....

Budley Doright

Veteran
I did 7....you have 2 more...... all rooted....

9 for 9..... my experience says.... these things almost always root.....

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
Update time. These pictures were taken at 12 days 3.75 hours. The first two show the roots for clone number two from both sides. One side is pretty full and the other is catching up. May put this one in a pot in a day or two.

The last picture is of clone one. I took the bag off last night and it has not wilted. So I would have to say that the roots are working to support the plant. I placed a gallon jug on a one gallon pot next to it to judge size. As you can see the plant is above the jug and off the top of the picture.

Not bad for a clone that was started 12 days ago.

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I ran a gg4 in a 65 gallon smarty under 1000w and it got huge and i didnt lollipop and the bottom branches had shot through dirt and formed roots along the way. Free cuts!

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
The second clone is now potted. It was potted at 12 days 17 hours. Measuring from the pot bottom it is 22.5 inches tall. Again the stem is resting on the bottom of the pot to get the root mass into the perched water table to help wick water to the roots. Here are two crappy pictures of the plant.

Budley Doright

Veteran
The last picture is of clone one. I took the bag off last night and it has not wilted. So I would have to say that the roots are working to support the plant. I placed a gallon jug on a one gallon pot next to it to judge size. As you can see the plant is above the jug and off the top of the picture.

Not bad for a clone that was started 12 days ago.

Thats pretty impressive....

commonly I leave my small plants in my cloner for 14 days.....

I expect them to be well rooted and maybe growing a bit.....

But I certainly wouldnt bet on my first day out of the cloner.....plants.....

vs that monster......

lol......

But I have to ask...... why doesnt everyone do this???

Its actually pretty fing easy....

Both mr crane....and myself..... have just taken a branch here and there....

but a great deal can be done to shape these plant before they are airlayered..

topping the branch a week or so before airlayering would seem to be a good idea....

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
I think I would have to do it more to confirm other strains do this well to. But yes it is super easy to do. Every thing you need I posted. I would hope others would try it and post the progress.

But yes plants this large I dont see coming from rooting cubes. I could be wrong and some one will post a 22 to 23 inch clone cutting haha.

Budley Doright

Veteran
I recall talking about this....

and some rookie told me.....

you wont save any time doing that.....

If this place wasnt moderated he would have gotten an earful.....

ANyway.... Im going to do a more conservative experiment....tomorrow.....

I have 4 plants which Im creating mothers from.....

I dont have large hunks at the moment.... but I either need to take clones or do smallish air layers.....

Im confident enough in the process to not do both...... I will do about 8 or 9 air layers and need 6 or 7 clones..... this proces is similar to most threads....they use rapid rooters..... and no cup for additional medium.....

This will be modest sized clones.... rapid rooters..... no additional medium...

Im making progress in the integration of air layering into my own grow.....

I anticipate replacing cloning with air layering......

I sort of have done that already...

oti$

Cool thread! Starting out the gate with a 22' rooted plant would speed things up. Ive got a few three footers vegging right now, i may have to try out a few branches and try to top em and coax some branches out of them as they establish some roots. Thanks for sharing guys:D

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
Why top? Root the top then the lower branches will grow. I would suspect the lowers will take a day or two then the new dominant one would take over. If the sugars from the top dont get past the stripped bark area neither will the growth inhibiting hormones from the top.

Budley Doright

Veteran
Cool thread! Starting out the gate with a 22' rooted plant would speed things up. Ive got a few three footers vegging right now, i may have to try out a few branches and try to top em and coax some branches out of them as they establish some roots. Thanks for sharing guys:D

I dont think we are anything close to the end game here......

We have a long way towards first shaping the growth then airlayering a medium sized plant......

I have 4 mothers working toward that end.....

SO far we have just taken limbs to see the process works most of the time....

I think if some branches were worked hard.... topping and pruning.... all while still on the mom plant..... then airlayer......

this could be a really bloody good technique

oti$

Why top? Root the top then the lower branches will grow. I would suspect the lowers will take a day or two then the new dominant one would take over. If the sugars from the top dont get past the stripped bark area neither will the growth inhibiting hormones from the top.

That's a smarter way to do it, nice thinkin' Ichy:D

Budley Doright

Veteran
If the sugars from the top dont get past the stripped bark area neither will the growth inhibiting hormones from the top.

I didnt initially comment on this..... because I wanted to think a bit....

I hadnt noticed..... and Im still not sure...... but I think my gg4 air layers look a little different than the normal clones......

Glue loves to stretch.... its a pain in the ass actually

these are more squat...more bushy....smaller internodes....than regular clones...

What I see could in fact be caused from the disruption of hormones... disruption of apical dominance.....

However..... what I see isnt really explained by ....

what I think I know about hormones and apical dominance....

This is just an observation at this point..... Im certainly not sure.....

but I will be watching this to see if my observation holds true....

Edgey

Very informative thread so a big thanks from me :)
Having a go myself now to try help with plant numbers

Edgey

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
Awesome post up how it goes. I am interested in how it works for others. Hopefully this can help people with numbers. I think it will cut down on several weeks of growth needed from using smaller cuts.

Budley Doright

Veteran
Mostly just a note to self....

starting 6 smaller sized airlayers

using.... rapid rooters..... clonex..... bread wrapper and twist ties....

I consider these a traditional type of air layer

My friend icky using a much cooler method......

Using a container to root a larger root ball

When these root.... I plan to actually transplant them into some other container for a week or so...

I will remove the plastic... the twist ties......leaving the rooted rapid rooter....

then use a plastic cup...bottle something to clam shell around this....

On my first set I used for the plastic wrap....... this time just an old bread wrapper...

the cling wrap seemed like a good idea..... but it stuck to everything....

This bread wrapper plastic was very much easier to use......

One goal is to figure out if its possible ( I think it is) to cut an air layer not putting it in a protected environment....(plastic bag)

In order to figure that out ...I intend to not use a plastic bag unless the plant wilts...

I would have bet that Mr ickys plant in post 142 could have simply been cut and put in indirect light for a day.... and it would have been fine....

We aim to find out.....

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
Clone one has a root out the bottom of the pot. It turned brown and I cant get a picture of it. So you will have to take my word for it.

So if roots are coming out of the pot bottom I have to assume that it is now a plant growing on its own.

Latest posts

Latest posts