What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Big Clones.....and air layers.....

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
Ok here is my update. These first two pictures are the same plant that rooted first. The pictures are from different sides.

The last picture is of the other plant and shows it is now rooted.

These pictures are from eight days and one and a half hours. The top pictures show less than three days worth of roots after the first roots appeared.

I gave them another shot of nutes today as well. Hope this helps some of you.

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
I tried on several branches on my outside plants. As I was doing I couldn't help but think, "There's no way in hell this will work". I felt like I was struggling to get shit where it needed to be. It would be cool to see it work though.

Budley Doright

Veteran
Ok here is my update. These first two pictures are the same plant that rooted first. The pictures are from different sides.

These pictures are from eight days and one and a half hours. The top pictures show less than three days worth of roots after the first roots appeared.

I gave them another shot of nutes today as well. Hope this helps some of you.

To me.... one of the really strange things.....

is how 2 hunks of plant can react so differently......

If you could only figure out...why one cutting...or air layer roots like crazy.....

and the other..... nothing.....

weird science....

I noticed the meijer cup.....

Im not far from their home office.... about an hour....

Just an fyi..... I ran my test for14 days.....

I said when I add someplace for the roots.....21 days......

I will be interested in when you think you will cut your clone....

So far that thing with the bottle is just part of mom

Until its cut.... its not a plant.....

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
Well the one that rooted first will be cut tomorrow or the next day. It is drying out the coco pretty good. The other one had another root earlier today. Couple more days for that one most likely.

Have not checked on them since this morning. Me and my son put down about 15,000 pounds of patio bricks today. I mean what 14 year old does not want to do that when it is 95 out right.

If I finish putting down the bricks early tomorrow I will pot the one that rooted first. Then I will post a few more pictures of it so people can see its progress once cut.

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
Well the one that rooted first will be cut tomorrow or the next day. It is drying out the coco pretty good. The other one had another root earlier today. Couple more days for that one most likely.

Have not checked on them since this morning. Me and my son put down about 15,000 pounds of patio bricks today. I mean what 14 year old does not want to do that when it is 95 out right.

If I finish putting down the bricks early tomorrow I will pot the one that rooted first. Then I will post a few more pictures of it so people can see its progress once cut.

Yeah man, keep us in the loop. It had some pretty nice roots going on so it should turn out right? fingers crosses :yes:

Budley Doright

Veteran

Well.... I dont know dude..... Im thinking it wont have enough roots to not wilt......

so be prepared....

what do you think??? did it seem to grow???

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
I will put a clear bag over it to keep the RH% up on it. We will see one way or the other. It looks like it will get root bound if I dont replant soon though.

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
OK here we have nine days and 22 hours from applying root hormone. So the start of cloning. First picture is of the root mass on the first clone cut off the plant.

Second picture is of the first cut clone tented.

Third picture is of the second clone. Still putting on roots just not as fast as the first clone did.

Had to take the first clone down. The coco was drying out in about 18 hours. I was afraid the roots would dry and die. If you look at the plant in the pot keep in mind that the stem rest on the bottom of the pot. The over all length was 23.5 inches long. I put it deep thinking that the root mass would be in the perched water table and may help the clone roots to stay moist longer between waterings. Hopefully it will spreed roots out quickly.

Budley Doright

Veteran
There are a lot more roots there than the picture looked like......

icks 1 day old clone..... pic 2......

compare that to your normal 1 day old clone.....

lol.....

it sort of eliminates the need for small plants.....

medium sized veggers and large plants only.....

Budley Doright

Veteran
Now..... this sets up the next experiment nicely....

a day 1 regular clone....

vs a day 1 airlayered clone.......

lol....who putting money on the regular clones......

I recall this comment from this guy.....

not long said...... you wont save any time doing this....

What do you think IC???

I know nether of us are experts....but how do you see this impacting your grow???

time saved vegging???

WHat brand of coco is that??? I may do that instead of rapid rooters...

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
Well if this plant takes off it will save time for sure. But it is kind of a freak for speed of root growth. I think the second one will be more accurate as to speed. So we will see how that one does.

As for height I guess maybe 8 inches is buried in the pot. I did not measure that. So about 15 inches of plant above.

For me it is not so much about speed as plant count. I had two clones and a full sized plant that counts as one plant because they still were one plant. I could have left it longer like that if I had to.

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
The coco is just GH 5 kg brick. Rehydrated with tap water. Cost about 10-12 dollars per brick and is about 18 gallons of coco when rehydrated.

Budley Doright

Veteran
Here is a question for you my friend.....

One option I had thought of......

If your setup is good.....

transplant in situ.....

if you dig the science lingo.... lol....

Im really not doing a great job expressing myself.....

One of my main goals at this point....

Is to make some sort of determination how long it takes to have a ....no fukking with....

self sustaining plant.....

That wasnt in my experiment.....

But I am very curious.......

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
I may do 5 air layers and five clones in coco cups. Was thinking this would be a good enough amount to tell which works better for cloning. Following them threw cloning till a couple weeks after in veg.

Maybe a thread in the coco forum linked here.

Not sure if people would be intrested in it. I have some good sized headband that I could do this with.

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
You guys are getting very good results on the air layer.

Is there a particular prep to your mom plants, such as
light schedule and nutes?

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
I just started air layering so take this with a grain of salt as I am new.

I feed my plant regular nutes at 1.2 to 1.3 EC PH to 5.8. The clone was given half that strength at about 0.6 EC PH to 5.8. The clone was also given Thrive Alive b-1 at 2.5 ml per gallon. The cloned area was coated with Dip N Grow rooting compound.

Budley Doright

Veteran
I may do 5 air layers and five clones in coco cups. Was thinking this would be a good enough amount to tell which works better for cloning. Following them threw cloning till a couple weeks after in veg.

Maybe a thread in the coco forum linked here.

Not sure if people would be intrested in it. I have some good sized headband that I could do this with.

Pretty much the end game for me....is to take a normal 1 day old clone....vs a 1 day old airlayer then take pics when one is ready to flower.....

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
Update time. First picture is of the first potted clone. It shows the moisture on the clear bag I am using as a humidity dome. So the plant is growing on its own to do this.

The next two are of the second clone at 11 days and 1 hour. They show the root structure so far. Not rooting as fast as the first but still not doing bad for 11 days.