What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Big Clones.....and air layers.....

Budley Doright

Veteran
My next experiment....... is more directed at how I plan to use this in the future....

Because I want to do this under my promix media......

Im going to do that in 2 ways.....

Bare stem.....

buried but use a rapidrooter to cover the stem cuts.....

about half each......

I suspect 2 more weeks maybe a tad less to have moms ready for work.....

The well trained plants will be going into final containers this weekend.....

I will be using 8 gallon hard containers.... and initially using 6 gallons until I scarify the plant...... then top off with the other 2 gallons....

I will be doing at least 6 branches and will make sure I leave at least one or two nurse branches....

I believe this experiment will be my last until I do whatever it is....in my perpetual grow.....

Of course..... the third thing I could do..... is do the airlayer.....then bury its.... plastic wrap and all...

then when it roots...... remove the plastic and refill the medium....promix....

But thats silly..... why wouldnt the plant root without the typical air layering prep????

Thats why I intend to bury half with clonex only....

and half covered by the rapid rooter....

No plastic wrap on either.....

StankyBeamer

Professional A$$hole
I w never tried air layering, but I deffinitely prefer big clones, with all the different og's I got its a must really, no other way to fit three nodes on a cut that lanky. Scarification is almost a must on my sfv mom because all the branches with enough nodes to clone are usually woody purple stems if they're not skimpy ones too flimsy to penetrate the rooting cube. I'll look into air layering, could help a lot with my finicky moms. For now rockwool soaked in light nutes, superthrive, and clonex has given me 100% success on a 200 clone run

Budley Doright

Veteran
The larger the clones the more you need a protected enironment....... high humidity to prevent wilting.....

I just used a meijer grocery bag for the large clones......

The work with airlayering is going to take at least a couple more months ....but Im feeling good about the prospects as I begin to integrate it into my grows.......

Stay tuned for more......

SFV is on my todo list fo sho'.....

Budley Doright

Veteran
superthrive, and clonex

Thats very interesting...... I dont know anyone who combines the 2 products......

clonex works by employing iba

while superthrive does naa.......

from my reading they would both be beneficial.......

Im thinking dip n grow uses both rooting hormones....

As I recall iba generally is better at striking new roots.....

where naa is better for making roots bushy....for lack of a more appropriate word.....

Whats your reasoning using both together????

StankyBeamer

Professional A$$hole
I dip the cuts in clonex and the cubes are soaked in a mix of gh flora nutes and superthrive, the roots come out looking killer and fast, snypes recommended it in one of his cloning threads and it works wonders. The sfv without superthrive took over a month to root at a 30% success rate, it now roots in ten days with a solid 100%

neongreen

Veteran
Neon.... see pic 3 in post 54..... im rooting into a cut up 2 liter....

Thanks for pointing that out. I completely missed it!

That's an interesting way of doing it.

Here is what I've been trying...

Before
picture.php

After
picture.php

Budley Doright

Veteran
I dip the cuts in clonex and the cubes are soaked in a mix of gh flora nutes and superthrive, the roots come out looking killer and fast, snypes recommended it in one of his cloning threads and it works wonders. The sfv without superthrive took over a month to root at a 30% success rate, it now roots in ten days with a solid 100%

I knew he did a cloning thread but dont think Ive read the whole thing.....

I had and iterest in superthrive....its an interesting story......

its so old they cant change it...... the packaging was grandfathered in.....thats why you will never see another formulation.....

I saw a horty dr talk about the stuff......

he seemed to think the only thing that worked...was the naa.....

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
superthrive, and clonex

Thats very interesting...... I dont know anyone who combines the 2 products......

clonex works by employing iba

while superthrive does naa.......

from my reading they would both be beneficial.......

Im thinking dip n grow uses both rooting hormones....

As I recall iba generally is better at striking new roots.....

where naa is better for making roots bushy....for lack of a more appropriate word.....

Whats your reasoning using both together????
I use WOODS rooting compound it has both.. i3ba 1.03 % and naa 0.66%...FWIW...superthrive is superjive ..

Budley Doright

Veteran
I use WOODS rooting compound it has both.. i3ba 1.03 % and naa 0.66%...FWIW...superthrive is superjive ..

and another interesting tidbit....

to compare......

clonex only has .31% iba.... or about 1/3 of one percent...

So woods has 3 times the iba....

and naa to boot.....

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
trout been in the horticulture industry a bit now I know what works ...yeehaw....I used olivias for like a year before realizing it has no rooting stuff just a weak flower fert basically..i do ok with just cheap rooting powder too...and I have used none and done ok..

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
So here is the plant with no nodes after about 5 days and 20 hours.

I gave it some nutes two days ago. My PH meter was off 0.3 so the leaves are twisted a little. Gave them some more today.

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
Ok so this picture is taken a little over ten hours after the picture above. You can see how much the roots have grown in ten hours.

This next picture is the roots on the other side. This is where I noticed a root first. I was not sure that it was a root at first till I turned the plant and saw the roots in the previous post on the other side. So pretty much all these roots appeared in the last ten hours.

This last picture is of the twisted leaves I mentioned earlier because the PH was off.

I will get some pictures again in about 12 hours.

S

sourpuss

Lol im talkin about the bottles and using a rock to hold a stem down... kinda something I could say about absolutely anything.... isnt everything hundreds or even thousands or gasp... millions of years old haha

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
The bottles are not my idea. Yet one more idea that I stole. I goggled it. I just made it easy to see how some one else did it.

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
Ok here is the clone after 6 days and 17 hours from start.

More roots are showing. I checked the length of the clone as well. Both have grown a little over a inch. But you know how good I am at guessing length. Lets just leave it there I am a guy right.

Still have not seen any roots on the other air layer branch. But it is not even seven days yet so still early.

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
I'm glad I saw this thread, lot's of really good ideas in here I haven't seen before. I'm definitely going to try this with the outdoor plants. :yes:

Latest posts

Latest posts