What's new

Best Brand Of Coco Coir Today

I buy the cheap stuff in compressed blocks. Then I soak it for some hours and centrifuge it with my sophisticated coco coir centrifuge. My girl seems to think it's good for washing clothes too. Take a couple of long pillow cases, add dry compressed coir, zip tie the ends, put in centrifuge/washing machine, and go thru many soak wash cycles faster and more effectively than passive soak/draining. Check the soak water with your EC meter and when no more coco salts coming out charge it with some CaNo3 (I do 1200ppm) and you're good to go.

DONAJTHEIII

I buy the cheap stuff in compressed blocks. Then I soak it for some hours and centrifuge it with my sophisticated coco coir centrifuge. My girl seems to think it's good for washing clothes too. Take a couple of long pillow cases, add dry compressed coir, zip tie the ends, put in centrifuge/washing machine, and go thru many soak wash cycles faster and more effectively than passive soak/draining. Check the soak water with your EC meter and when no more coco salts coming out charge it with some CaNo3 (I do 1200ppm) and you're good to go.

you cheapsake :biggrin:

you shop at k-mart dont you ?

:laughing:

im only joking although coco is something I do spend money on the texture of canna and top brands vs generic are incomparable

:tiphat:

AJAE

stoned40yrs

Ripped since 1965
Veteran
Not only that, but compressed coco is steamed, which kills the trichoderma.

Got a link to prove that? I've looked at dozens of web sites of the manufacturers in Sri Lanka and India. Hundreds of pictures of the process- no steam. None of them say they use steam. Plenty of pictures of blocks being made- no steam. As far as I know there is only one company who imports the blocks and steams them at their home countries plants. Canna Coco. They say they steam the coco to 900 degrees after they receive the blocks. So I'm going to need some proof to believe that all blocks are steamed. Lots of proof:biggrin:

xxxstr8edgexxx

Veteran
theres gotta be a some benefit to recharging the trichoderma unless the native stuff is better and cant be bought. i agree its silly to kill it and restock it. i amjust trying to point out that any of them should work and you should be able to achieve a big population of a lot of popular beneficials if you are at all interested. compost teas and innocculants are abundantly available and can be made cheap. they are part of a lot of folks' grows just as a a matter of course. if the bricks suit your fancy and your willing to do the extra work go for it. reuse the coco while youre at it. it gets better over time if used correctly.

CHEFfy

It's also about time... Straight out the bag coir costs me about $30 a light. That $30 produces 2+ units every time. Especially now, my time is much more valuable than the time fucking around with compressed bricks. No brainer for me. Now if I were just doing it at home in a closet for nothing more than personal smoke and was trying to punch every last penny... Sure, might make sense.

N

noyd666

just had delivered in pouring rain[poor sod] two bags canna ALL WRAPPED IN BLACK, way to go easy peasy.

CoCoSativas

I use earth safe coco earth bricks. Its a good consistancy, and its well washed. The runoff from clean coco has 5-10 ppm than the tapwater i use.

I wouldnt buy botanicares brick, someone told me their initianal runoff from clean coco was like 1600 ppm. Thats nuts.

I wouldnt use any european coco brands. Ive heard people getting bugs in their room from canna coco. Lol dutch gnats, gross. Thats scary buisness.

Im using gh flora, considering cocotek nutrients in the future. If i buy some cocotek a and b ill try gh cocotek bricks too. Until then im happy with the earth safe.

Pragma

The bugs come from storage in warehouses guys... All the bags have little holes in them to breathe and they are perfect for the gnats to slip in and lay eggs..

I've had bugs from almost all brands.. Very fucking hard unless the warehouse they are stored in is super clean and good luck with that....

CHEFfy

Just an update on ChefFy's coco habit... B'cuzz has been back ordered for weeks due to the west coast port slowdown, so am trying TUPUR. So far has worked great with no changes to my nutrient regiment. Think it might be a great base for some bottle organic based coco.

whadeezlrg

Just Say Grow
Veteran
I literally just picked up my bcuzz order on Saturday from sunlight supply's so cal distribution center. not sure where you're at but there's plenty of bcuzz in so cal.

I wasn't very happy when I tried tupur, although what I used was a sample before they even went into full production. not that it was terrible by any means.

@Pragma: the thing that gets me is that most of the premium bagged coco has far too much water in it. If it had very little water it would be less appealing to egg laying insects while being stored and in transit. It would also be easier and less expensive to ship/handle. The marketing guys know what they're doing though when the bag weighs 30 lbs. and costs 30.00 usd but could weigh far less. Are there any big compressed dry coco bricks that are steamed and properly washed and charged with nutrients? I'm opposed to paying for shipping lotsa water unless it's in beer. Will read the entire thread when time permits.

CHEFfy

Bcuzz 50l is 20 bucks. For me it costs 30 bucks a 1000de in Bcuzz and results have always been better than other brands. Cost/benefit = bcuzz FTW. Like I said before, if it outyeilds the competitor by a few g's, it's worth it.