What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Best Brand Of Coco Coir Today

It has always been Canna coco for me, but as Pragma states, all brands get gnats...HOWEVER now that Canna offers their coco in brick format, its a done deal. And to think, I was about to purchase an autoclave. Check out Canna's coco brick...end the battle with gnats and the high sodium contents that other brands contain. Good luck all!

N

noyd666

picture.php
canna brick. been out since 014? have not seen it for sale yet.

Pragma

Yep I totally agree that bagged coco has way too much water in it.
Its like an egg laying heaven for insects..

Bricks are quite appealing if they are just as good a substrate when they expand..
Havent tested it myself yet

Cocosativas: I might like to give your coco a look but I'm having trouble finding a good source for earth safe brand coco earth online in USA. Any ideas? The "retailers" link on their site just links to a pic of some of their products.

RckyMtRdnk

has anyone worked with royal gold?

I have used the Tupur, Mendo mix, and the Basement mix. I prefer the Tupur mainly because I like to add my amendments myself. I have had good results mixing the Mendo and the Basement mix mixed together for a quick plug and play mix. It was just a little too hot for a couple plants at first, but they adjusted eventually. I have read mixed reviews about Royal Gold, but my experience with their products has been decent so far. Most of the bad reviews I could find were based on them switching their bags from 2cf to 1.5cf without lowering the price. I can still find the 2cf bags of Tupur but not the Mendo or Basement. All are the same price where I go.

Hope that helps.

FlowerFarmer

Veteran
Yep I totally agree that bagged coco has way too much water in it.
Its like an egg laying heaven for insects..

Bricks are quite appealing if they are just as good a substrate when they expand..
Havent tested it myself yet

@Pragma: the thing that gets me is that most of the premium bagged coco has far too much water in it. If it had very little water it would be less appealing to egg laying insects while being stored and in transit. It would also be easier and less expensive to ship/handle. The marketing guys know what they're doing though when the bag weighs 30 lbs. and costs 30.00 usd but could weigh far less. Are there any big compressed dry coco bricks that are steamed and properly washed and charged with nutrients? I'm opposed to paying for shipping lotsa water unless it's in beer. Will read the entire thread when time permits.

Have you guy's looked into Cyco Coco Peat 50L. The one in the neon green bag. Not sure why it says Peat.. it's straight washed coco.

I switched over to it from Atami Bcuzz and am really like it. It's a lot dryer in the bag and they are way lighter. I never really had any problems with Atami (aside from gnats!), but switched over to Cyco because it appeared a smidge more fibrous (as opposed to the finer atami) and was at the same price for me ($20).

Loving it so far. The bags are lightweight and I've had no problems planting rooted clones directly into it without additional rinsing/buffering, etc. I drop my clone in and drench with 1.2 EC and off they go.

CCP317q.jpg

WolfieCat

Have you guy's looked into Cyco Coco Peat 50L. The one in the neon green bag. Not sure why it says Peat.. it's straight washed coco.

I switched over to it from Atami Bcuzz and am really like it. It's a lot dryer in the bag and they are way lighter. I never really had any problems with Atami (aside from gnats!), but switched over to Cyco because it appeared a smidge more fibrous (as opposed to the finer atami) and was at the same price for me ($20).

Loving it so far. The bags are lightweight and I've had no problems planting rooted clones directly into it without additional rinsing/buffering, etc. I drop my clone in and drench with 1.2 EC and off they go.

I Agree 100% with everything you've said about the Cyco Coco Peat!
It's fibrous and very dry straight out of the bag.
Quality is guaranteed by their RHP Certification.
I use it straight out of the bag and hydrate with nutrient solution, no rinsing, pre-buffered.
I switched from bricks and haven't looked back.

- Wolfie

Pragma

Btw guys..
I just learned recently that apparently Plagron makes the coco (and all other substrates) for canna.

Meison

I like Gold Label, straight from the bag ready to use. After 3 bags, no problems so far

Also RHP Certificated

stoned40yrs

Ripped since 1965
Veteran
I hydrated some new Canna blocks the other day. Gotta admit it's some pretty looking coco. I tried a bag of Canna a couple weeks ago, the blocks after hydration looks no different than the bagged. Thumbs up to Canna.:tiphat:

nukklehead

View Image

Shhhh. Flower
As far as small timers not worried about bricks this is the best shit
out there. Been using it for 4 grows now (I dont reuse ftw).
Can fill 6-8 2.5 gallon Hempys with one bag.

If I have a hard time finding it Im gonna blame you... lol.. :biggrin:
Let them other dudes play with botano.. blah , blah..
Leave my psyco alone... !
FWIW I dont use there line of nutes.. Just Maxi bloom/grow KISS and tap h2o... lovin it!......:smoke:

angusnaut

Have been very suprised to not see house and garden on this list!

I've ran nothing but their coco with great results. No rinse needed.

VDZCoco.jpg

angusnaut

its like 15$ a bag at my store. so a little pricey compared to cocogrow or other bags out there. Its just simple though with house n garden

Weeded1s

House in garden is based in sd right? I believe house and garden is only made for sd hydroponics and not sold in any other stores except online. Correct me if im wrong but im pretty sure thats was up.
#POST 420!! yeyahhh

Latest posts

Latest posts