What's new

Are you getting more than 1 gram per watt? Tell us how!

B

Brazilianfire

Also, Is there a tutorial anywhere online to build a vertical stadium of wood materials? Would like to build a hand fed soil vertical stadium setup, just wondering on how to build a sturdy stand? like a 3 or 4 piece, once together makes for a good stadium for a high number of plants. :) Thanks everyone Cheers :)

~Shhh~

JETS
Veteran
Northern Farmers stadium was just that brazilianfire if memory serves correctly.... (Love that avatar btw myagn!!!) SHouldcome up on a search... failing that have a trawl around the vert forums here I am sure you'll see something

macro

Wow this thread has become a treasure trove of great information!
I'm running Ebb and Flow tables for the first time and i'm looking good to coming close if not beyond 1g/w in 4x4 under 2x600 HPS

macro

Wow this thread has become a treasure trove of great information!
I'm running Ebb and Flow tables for the first time and i'm looking good to coming close if not beyond 1g/w in 4x4 under 2x600 HPS

Dhude

Been said many times, but G/W means nothing as a comparison measure if you don't account for variations in veg time. What we really want to know, as growers, is two things:

1. What method produces the most weight, per year, per watt (i.e. G/WY: Grams per watt-year)?

2. If method revealed in #1 above results in too many plants numbers, what is the best option for limited numbers?

Speaking to #1: Barebulb vertical setups with minimal veg are the starting point. The combination of direct light without losses due to glass and reflection, and the radically increased "footprint" of light coverage due to vertical...means you will make a much more efficient use of your floorspace and lumen output.

Let's compare Vert to Flat in the same space. A simple calculation tells the tale:

FLAT: Floorspace or light/canopy footprint in a 4'x4'x8' tall space = 16sqft

VERT: Light/canopy footprint in the same 4x4x8 space using all 4 walls for plants and 6' of the available 8' of height, retaining 18" distance from the bulb = 47sqft

that's over 3x the canopy footprint, without using the entire height.

Now, choices of media and fertigation come down more to climate and gardener skills/preferences, but also to room layout (would be pretty involved/PITA to setup a vert as ebb/flow). I'd love to run recirc DWCs....minimal media, can get away with power outage, explosive growth...but it's too hot in summer here to keep rez temps in check. So there's no one answer. We get frequent power outages, so I need something with a "reserve"...aero and nft style stuff is out the window...personally I run coco due to temps/re-usability/flexibility/yields.

I hope to try a vert experiment soon, current girls come down in a week or so, might try it with one light.

socachi

Stoney has a nice set up in the link you provided 250. that gave me a good idea on how to use my light mover. I had some guys at the hydro shop tell me I didn't need to use a mover over my 4'x8' area, man they were wrong.

I was thinking about building a stadium out of wood, and decided that pre-made stair risers (not sure if that is the right word, I'm not a contractor), with boards screwed down, for the shelves probably 3-4 shelves plus floor for your 600's... the premade stairs would seem to make things fairly simple for someone without a lot of tools, or interest in DIY.

Centrum

In search of Genetics
Veteran
Chaos..........No offense intended but whoever it was that "knows their stuff" and said plant numbers are insignificant when it comes to filling the exact same sq ftg without telling you that less plants take a longer veg time to fill same said sq ftg canopy is an idiot......

Heath Robinson did a vertical rack setup with like 87 fem seedlings and clones on all 4 walls straight 12/12 from rooted cuts and seedlings the same size in his breeding program using an inside area of 4' x 6' with 2 bare 600`s side by side with 3 levels of plants on the walls in angled racks with the plants pointed at the lights and 1.53 gpw dried and cured was on the initial first run not to say what he`s pullin now after dialage........

Yeah.......lil over 4 lbs outta 1200 watts on his first run out the ass so increased plant numbers on the walls with sideways lumens blasting have EVERYTHING to do with the end result as there`s no other reason behind it.....

Ya`ll take care...DHF....:joint:

Here is a link to that grow

http://strainguide.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/heaths-vertical-racks-strainguide.html

bbing

Heres mine:

Root volume always seems to be a DIRECT indicator of end yield.
My guess is that it is a fairly linear relationship. All the environmental factors that get it there are always up for best practice review; but it seems to me this doen't get enough play in GPW discussions.

Shaping your plants to capture and make most effecient use of light energy always makes sense regardless of your approach.

BTW there's even more thunk-kings out there that many of us have already forgotten.

Another way to look at it may be to compare plant mass weight to cured cola wieght. Then divide it by total wattage or something, (yes, i suck at math)

socachi

Now that is very interesting . You need some carpentry skills along with a little plumbing to do that. But still 60 plants in a 4'x6'x6' area. Since it's a closed sys, I would assume that the rez is outside the grow area so it's not pulling co2 into the water.

Don't laugh too hard but I've never heard of Heath Robinson. Now let me explain, I'm new to growing, big surprise and I'm just learning. But this cat knows his shit and he admits he pulled his idea from another.

Centrum thanks for the link.

Latest posts

Latest posts