What's new

Are you getting more than 1 gram per watt? Tell us how!

I will say yield per plant is a pretty useless number unless comparing apples to apples. That is never the case.
The "how many plant do I need to get a pound?" type questions indicate someone who really doesn't understand how this works. Not sayin' you're doing that Humbolt.
I will however question your claim of 12 lbs off of 3kw. That certainly can't be dried cured weight.

Humboldt707420

I will say yield per plant is a pretty useless number unless comparing apples to apples. That is never the case.
The "how many plant do I need to get a pound?" type questions indicate someone who really doesn't understand how this works. Not sayin' you're doing that Humbolt.
I will however question your claim of 12 lbs off of 3kw. That certainly can't be dried cured weight.

Hehehe. its cool, Thats how i do so well. I like in humboldt county. In arcata almost 80% of the city grows medical good green icky sticky stuff. When i first told my buddys about the coliseum they said the same thing lol. So i baught one and first draw i got 8 pounds off 5 600 watt digis. My second one was 6, I felt my 2nd one went so poorly cause i got cocky. So i ordered a few new strains that old friends from Ddoc.net supplied and then i started getting 10 pounds of dried cured weight. Then i crossed a few of them ( we are talking years of work) and now i am getting about 12. I am working on a cross C99 with blue dragon and Ak. I first try was 12.4 Now i am working on stabalizing the strain and i think that number will go up. Just remember the numbers dont lie. Its not that far fetched to get .66 of a ounch off each nod from a coli if you really know what your doing. Now if your a person who is set in your ways. lol you know the kind of person who is always right and never researches advice then yes these numbers would be as greek as they come. I am very curious to see the leval of expertise in these forums. I miss Ddoc.net, I learned alot. Like i said if anybody is intrested in learning how to grow right then leave your ego at the door. There is no such thing as impossible numbers in this feild. but fortunitly there are alot of nay sayers who refuse to use there amagination and all i have to say to them is.. Great JOB. keep up the bad work. If everybody knew what the coli could do then prices would be lower then they already are.

Anti

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Veteran
This thread hasn't been bumped in a while. I'd love to see some of the heavyweights come back in and add their thoughts now that 3 years have passed.

Anyway. Lots of good and bad in here, kids. Take the time and read it and think about it.

T

TREE KING

.we try and go for a square shaped growing area . 8ft x 8ft would have 9 lights . 3 rows of 3
I find a lot of strains dont like to be close to the bulbs , they can be effected in many ways , bleaching of the top buds , and for me having to much light or having the lights to close to the plants in veg makes them spaz out going into flower . The buds wont fill out and have a flat top with leaves pointing wrongly upwards . This tends to happen to indica dom plants .

A trick i found with temperamental sativa land races is to grow them in soil organically , and shade um slightly till they eventually kick into flower , after some good bud sites are starting to fill in , switch to chems and put um right under the lights , they seem to like the light in peak bloom , i then Finnish on organic food or taper down to just molasses and white sugar

quote b1composter
When I grow with a rectangular room let us say 1.2 x 1m for a six hundred watt or 2.4 x 2 if i placed them next to each other, or 4.8 X 4 if i combined four lamps (not linear), I find the plants to all grow evenly, when i grow in a square fashion, the plants on the edges of the reflectors closest to the walls are highest yielding, or i can fit more plants in that area and have an even higher yield.

I find this to be the case as well , most of the time there is no difference to the edge plants than the middle plants . The mylar brand is very important imo . The stuff going around now days is not great , i use the mylar that is backed with white plastic . We recently tried the little diamond type pebbled white backed sheeting , i thought the idea is sound but the material they used to make the stuff not so good and had to throw it all away .

the plants around the edges were alot smaller than ussual compared to the proper mylar .

Ganja baba i think this happened to me last crop. im currently growing blubonic with no veg time and i started noticing in the middle of flower that some of the colas had flat tops with not that big of a bud and then the bottom branches had bigger buds than the colas. it seems like the light was hurting the tops of the plants. what i did is i started the lights on the ceiling and i slowly dropped them down. by the second week i had the lights 18" from the plants and then as the plants grew i raised the lights a couple inches every day or 2 so they stayed the same distance away

how can i make sure this doesnt happen again? how high do you recommend i keep the light from day 1 and should i just keep it there for the whole flower or do i lower it at some point?

Ganja baba

Veteran
Ganja baba i think this happened to me last crop. im currently growing blubonic with no veg time and i started noticing in the middle of flower that some of the colas had flat tops with not that big of a bud and then the bottom branches had bigger buds than the colas. it seems like the light was hurting the tops of the plants. what i did is i started the lights on the ceiling and i slowly dropped them down. by the second week i had the lights 18" from the plants and then as the plants grew i raised the lights a couple inches every day or 2 so they stayed the same distance away

how can i make sure this doesnt happen again? how high do you recommend i keep the light from day 1 and should i just keep it there for the whole flower or do i lower it at some point?

i often keep the lights high when first planting out then after about a week or when the plants have started to grow i move them down a little higher than my usual flowering hight , then they will be vegged for another week or so by which time they have got used to the light intensity and wont get shocked going into flower ,

i think light stress cause by the lights being to close going into flower makes the top of the buds flat and leaves point upwards because the main cola hormone is pushed down the plant similar to nipping out the top shoot , but because this happens in flower and the shoot was not nipped or effected in grow . the side branches dont turn in to full main type colas .
ending up with diminished yields all round

T

TREE KING

i often keep the lights high when first planting out then after about a week or when the plants have started to grow i move them down a little higher than my usual flowering hight , then they will be vegged for another week or so by which time they have got used to the light intensity and wont get shocked going into flower ,

i think light stress cause by the lights being to close going into flower makes the top of the buds flat and leaves point upwards because the main cola hormone is pushed down the plant similar to nipping out the top shoot , but because this happens in flower and the shoot was not nipped or effected in grow . the side branches dont turn in to full main type colas .
ending up with diminished yields all round

i know thats what you do ganja but can you give me some exact numbers? how high do you keep the light from the plants the first week? what is the closest you think i should keep my light from the plants after a couple weeks? i flower my plants right out of the aero cloner and there like 8" tall and i need to know the closest you think i should keep the light during the whole flower period

Last edited:

Ganja baba

Veteran
i know thats what you do ganja but can you give me some exact numbers? how high do you keep the light from the plants the first week? what is the closest you think i should keep my light from the plants after a couple weeks? i flower my plants right out of the aero cloner and there like 8" tall and i need to know the closest you think i should keep the light during the whole flower period

i dont keep um below 2 feet in flower and have them a little higher in veg . but also depends on the kind of shades being used

Proper

The thread title should read "Are you getting more than 1 gram per watt? Tell me how!"

Or maybe "I am a lazy LEO and I want the big fish! Come out and brag!"

Or maybe just "I am too lazy to research on how to get awesome results. Can you please tell me what to do to make the money?"

Try this

This reminds me of that dude who is trying to document every variable in cloning as to make a method that's 100% successful.

If there was a list on what to do to achieve 1g/w and it actually encompassed all variables it would be a long ass list. It would also be worth lots and lots of money. But don't mind me, maybe there is someone out there making huge money (because that's what you said we all grow for right?) and not caring if they post their trade secrets to a public forum.

lol

Instead of giving the guy shit, why dont you try and help him, otherwise dont even bother posting garbage like what is above. It is people like you who wreck the site for everyone else.

To DankBlueBerries: Getting 1g per watt is not as hard as some of these guys will make you think it is. Its all about finding the right pheno. Heres what you do, look for a high yielding strain with a good reputation. Once you buy a pack of 10 seeds breed them all out and make a ton of seeds. Then grow a bunch of the seeds, take clones from every single plant before you put them into flowering then once they all flower and finish, look for the highest yielding one. Then find the clones that you took from that exact plant and grow 25-30 of that exact plant under a 1000w light. Start them out in beer cups, then xplant to 1 gal, then 2 gal, then 3 gal. If you do it right and really squeeze them in there you should be able to fit 30 under the 1000w in 3gals. This is known as "Sea of Green". Also, if you use this Sea of Green method, do not top your plants let them grow into towers, thats how you can fit more under the light. Also, cut off all the branches from the bottom 1/4 of the plant to make it put all its energy into the top Kola, do this right before you put them into flowering. Make sure you have great ventilation (Exaust + Intake + Fan blowing air around) with this method or you will get mold.

Sea of Green is the only way I have been able to get 1g per watt.

FlowerFarmer

Veteran

As the other poster mentioned these numbers are definitely possible in vertical coliseums with high plant numbers.

SoQuick ran one of the larger orange colored coliseums (3000w) w/ 600 clones in the thing and got 10lbs his 1st run. Thats around 3.3lb per light.

The days of 2lb per light being the ultimate MAX are long gone now that guys are surrounding the light by small bud sicles. Its a numbers game loading the plants in a grow space that now has 4x the amount of canopy square footage when compared to a horizontal grow. The sky (ceiling in our cases) is the limit...literally.

As for the original OP.. It comes down to picking a strain that you know can achieve good yields and running the hell out of it until you master it. I've fell behind in recent years because I would be gifted different cuts and started doing multi-strain grows. My numbers fell off because each strain re-acted differently and required its own know how to get it to perform..

so for my quick list..

Environment
Genetics
Light! (50w per Sq Ft)
Monocrop (1 strain garden)
Repetition (re-run the same strain until its boring...and then run it some more)
Pruning/Training (manipulate those plants to squeeze every last bit of yield out of them)

If you havnt already swing over to the vertical section and do some reading. I've turned on many newbie gro-bros to just dropping a vertical lamp down into a ring of coco plants and they are hitting yields that I've struggled to get for over 10 yrs with horizontal lighting. Simple switching your bulb orientation might make all the difference for you. Once your growing 360 degrees around the lamp its a lot easier to hit 1g/w vs. just growing under a bulb.

Take Care.

Great post,Farmer ^^^

My only qualm with vert is cooling, unless I setup each light "string" with it's own fan.From the ground up: Fan/cooltube/cooltube/exhaust out of room.

I def need to look into it further

T

TREE KING

i dont keep um below 2 feet in flower and have them a little higher in veg . but also depends on the kind of shades being used

i had my reflector 24" away and still had a problem. i had nutrient burn too so maybe it was a combination of different things i dont know il figure it out thanks for your help

_Dude

I've only been growing true perpetual for about 3 years, give or take, so I'm not the guru or anything, but I know for a fact that rootbound plants are not just a problem for 6 month old plus plants.

As for the guy with 3kw that you out-yielded with a 1k, well, either he sucks, or he had a bad crop (it happens - pests sneak up on you, rot, climate is worse than you anticipated, whatever). A decent grower with a decent strain and no disasters should get around .4 grams a watt or more, so you're not likely to out-yield his 3kw with your 1kw unless something bad happened, or he's got a really poor strain or something.

Like I said I'm not the guru, but I didn't like SOG. Too much work, and I didn't see any gains. I don't doubt that I could see improvement if I had stuck with it, but I'd rather handle 25 plants per 1k than 75. Way too much medium for me, too many plants, too many pots. Funny thing is I saw a 30% increase in yield on the first crop I grew when I switched back to fewer, bigger pots. Unfortunately, I haven't matched that since, but I am moving upwards every harvest since the switch.

Maybe I'm just not experience enough for a SOG yet. I might try it if I move and start a new setup that can handle the increased workload better.

cant properly gauge different techniques??? not so much bro,

i run a 1000w and a 400w in a couple tents and my last yield was more than a buddy of mines who runs 3000w of flower power.

Its all on how you grow. SOG is the way you do it.

Find an established mother plant that yields WELL, smokes WELL, and has Great bag appeal. Dank fragrance is a must.

Now, cram as many cuttings as you can in a space and start flowering.

this is how you yield fucking big time. anyone who opposes this is fucking full of shit.

Scrog takes to fucking long so scrog growers keep a lid on it. Not effective for producing max weight is a short period of time.

people use big ass pots, why i dont know, it takes longer than 6 months for a plant to brake down as a result of stress from being rootbound, keep the pots small, keep the numbers high and you will yield well.

Ebb & Flow is the fuckin truth, dont deviate.

peace.

pics of my shit, currently revamping my genetic lineup.

View Image
View Image

_Dude

i had my reflector 24" away and still had a problem. i had nutrient burn too so maybe it was a combination of different things i dont know il figure it out thanks for your help

Yeah I've got the same thing. I can't decide if it's nute burn, or light distance, or both. I keep dropping PPMs bit by bit but I'm still seeing the yellowing. I'm still not used to the strain yet, it doesn't feed as heavily as my old strain. Assuming it's nute burn that is.

bickeyb

I run 4k in flower and a 600 in veg. I veg clones for a week to 2 weeks in dwc 4 plants a light on my high yielding strain 6-10 plants with my gdp. and on the low 24oz every 2 weeks anything over i keep for myself and give away to close friends.
my room is 10x8 feet magnum xxxl hoods quantum ballasts and hortilux eye bulbs. Aircooled hoods with a/c no co2.. when i put my plants into flower i hang my light around 20 inches from the top and i turn my ballast down to 50% after first week i turn to 75% and to 100% during week 2. I start plants at 1.2 ec and gradually go up to 2. Flowering plants are grown in 18 gal rubbermaids and my gdp in 5 gal buckets because each gdp reacts different to ppms and ph some ill run at 6.2 ph and others at 5.8 its weird.

I just started a new journal check it out!
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=238803

pushlimits

When I grew 9 plants per 600, I could hit roughly 1.5 #'s per light, very easliy. To keep the math simple, that's roughly 1 Gram per watt. (When I grew 16 plants per light yeild was the same, so there is a point of deminishing returns...but veg time was less)

Now, for plant number sakes I only run 4 plants per 600 and I only get 1# per light. The veg time has increased, and the canopy is the same size, but I get a about half pound less. And yes, it's an old fashion horizontal grow.

It's a trade off really, I wish I could run more plants per light and achive a higher yeild but with plant number issues, it's much more economical to just add lights and lower the amount of plants per. Just like Verdent Green said....I'm guilty as charged.

Now, with that being said, people can achive huge yeilds from a very small amount of plants, I mean just look at Getto grow, amazing stuff that guy's doing. Dude's got skill.

But, for the average grower using 2-5 gallon containers, a veg area roughly 1/4 the size of there flowering room with about 3 weeks (+/- a week) of veg, and harvesting without any pauses... Plant Numbers are key to hitting 1/GPW or above, No question in my mind.

Personally, I like spacing around 1 plant per square foot. it seems the way to go for quality and quanity. but it's all relative I suppose.

Ive been hitting 2.0-2.4lbs per light. I run those lights at 750 for the first 2 weeks and the last 2 weeks. I am no good at math but id say im def hitting 1.25grams per watt.

I only grow strains i have dialed in completely and am 90% doing this for the $$$. Legally. :laughing:

sturgeongeneral

Veteran
I just hit 2.1 lb with 1 1k in a 3x3 ebb and flow with 15 plants. Its close to 1g/w. Its like .92 but its close. Ill be over that on this next crop.

Latest posts

Latest posts